Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I wish we could pick which freebie mech we got at the end of the SLDF cache mission. I love the Highlander+Gauss rifle combo but I'd much rather have the Black Knight Pulse Laser boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

This was done as fanart for my thread years ago (I forget who made it, it's been half a decade):

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

And Tyler Too! posted:

I wish we could pick which freebie mech we got at the end of the SLDF cache mission. I love the Highlander+Gauss rifle combo but I'd much rather have the Black Knight Pulse Laser boat.

I thought you could? I'm pretty sure I made the choice of the Highlander and it wasn't just given to me.

It does cause me pain losing that sweet lostech to crits and stuff in game, the thought of losing the gauss is always lingering in the back of my mind. :ohdear:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Super 3 posted:

I thought you could? I'm pretty sure I made the choice of the Highlander and it wasn't just given to me.

It does cause me pain losing that sweet lostech to crits and stuff in game, the thought of losing the gauss is always lingering in the back of my mind. :ohdear:

If you can I never saw the option. I finished the mission and it was like "btw here's a Highlander."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Super 3 posted:

There's no choice you just get the Highlander.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Now do that in ironman, and lose a mech three rounds in due to a well placed AC-20. Report back.

Anyone deliberately playing this game in ironman deserves the experience they are likely to get.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Narsham posted:

Anyone deliberately playing this game in ironman deserves the experience they are likely to get.

The campaign missions are buttclenching. Especially when the enemy starts to focus fire.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Narsham posted:

I'm running one now, but I do have salvage maxxed because gently caress those 1-2 salvage payouts. I did make mechwarrior kills permanent to offset that. I'm kind of disappointed the difficulty settings only seem to go in one direction for most of the new options though.

I lost glitch to the stupid random life threatening medical issue event in like the second month. That one really chapped my rear end since it's the only starting character I've lost so far and it was to a stupid event and not something expected like an unlucky head shot.

I waited an extra long time to head to the Smithon story mission this time, with a full lance of 65 tonners (3 TDR's and a JM). Even then I just loaded them up for short range and sat behind the hill to the left of the drop while I waited for enemies to come into view so they could be popped. gently caress that mission.

Just finished up the SLDF mission and netted my 2nd and 3rd assault mechs, so the rest of the game should be pretty gravy.

Honestly Ironman's not that bad. I definitely find myself putting a lot more thought into how I approach missions now, whereas before I'd just charge in 90% of the time and if things went pear shaped I'd just reload from the start. I've only lost a couple mechwarriors so far and I find myself actually using the eject button instead of just waiting for my mech to go down and hoping my pilot survives.

E; All the new random events are a welcome break to the monotony though. The ones that just outright kill a pilot can get hosed, however.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 2, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

NatasDog posted:

E; All the new random events are a welcome break to the monotony though. The ones that just outright kill a pilot can get hosed, however.
Yeah this sort of thing is why I wasn't too upset over the string of burgers and air vents I was not allowed to spend my 50 million credits to permanently fix because I wasn't in orbit around just the right kind of planet.

Because the alternative is often "We screwed you over! Your fault for not being able to adapt whoohoo! Whoohoo! Whoohoo!"

It's just like FTL! You know the roguelike you beat in an hour, same difference if you kill or injure people at random in any other game right?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 3, 2018

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Are those events exclusive to Ironman mode? All I get are movie night, pirate attacks, and people celebrating the existence of tomatoes.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

And Tyler Too! posted:

Are those events exclusive to Ironman mode? All I get are movie night, pirate attacks, and people celebrating the existence of tomatoes.

have you played since the 1.1.1 patch?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I've tried, but every time I complete a mission it goes to the background screen with no buttons or anything :shrug:

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

have you played since the 1.1.1 patch?

I had to reinstall because of that patch but yeah I've been playing the hell out of it.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/263

Mod Manager, finally

DeepThrobble
Sep 18, 2006

LostCosmonaut posted:

I've tried, but every time I complete a mission it goes to the background screen with no buttons or anything :shrug:
That's happened to me intermittently, I recommend opening the menu immediately after loading your save and checking if the save button is blacked out. Reloading should fix it.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Can someone help me out here? I just did the first Argo mission and now the max contracts I can find per system is 1 and about half have none. Is this a setting I messed up somewhere?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Wooo! Now we need 1.1.1 mod updates

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Unzip and Attack posted:

Can someone help me out here? I just did the first Argo mission and now the max contracts I can find per system is 1 and about half have none. Is this a setting I messed up somewhere?
That depends on if you've tried to mess with your files or not?

Otherwise, the game can just decide to gently caress you over like that with it's default unmodded state :v: as the vanilla settings are a max of 3.

You are also way too early to be flying through a plot mandated 'no missions here' stretch of the map to reach a plot mission, so it can't be that. So if there is no modding involved, you're probably just getting a nasty combination of RNJesus and maybe swinging by the few planets that just won't spawn missions in the early parts of the map that you are hardly the first to suffer.

I've also heard that missions can "dry up" in the leopard phase on purpose, but I always had a reasonable amount of work even when I dragged my feet at that point unmodded. I didn't tweak my contract settings until well after I had the argo my first run.

Just keep at it and grab those plot missions ASAP.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jul 3, 2018

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Ok I think I figured out how I hosed up. I had MaxContractsPerSystem set to 10, and I think it only goes to 9. When I reset it to 9 I immediately started getting 3-6 missions per system.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Unzip and Attack posted:

Ok I think I figured out how I hosed up. I had MaxContractsPerSystem set to 10, and I think it only goes to 9. When I reset it to 9 I immediately started getting 3-6 missions per system.

Huh, I never tried that high so didn't know there was a max. But there have been people with strings of bad luck on the defaults.

For a similar effect, try to avoid any mods that bump your priority salvage to 7 (or was it more than 7?) because the UI can't handle that many picks, so I've heard that just makes you stuck at the mission clear screens.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And Tyler Too! posted:

I just edited the game files so that I started out with the Black Knight. All eight of its double heatsinks are crammed into the legs.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

How much do the background traits on pilots matter as far as events? Do they only come up if they're involved in the event? Is there really much advantage in collecting a wide variety of traits?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Narsham posted:

Im trying a Hard lances, Ironman, Destroyed Mechs, Salvaged Mechs come unequipped run just now. I have never been more relieved to see Glitch only have to spend 110 days in med bay after getting her mech cored.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BeAuMaN posted:

How much do the background traits on pilots matter as far as events? Do they only come up if they're involved in the event? Is there really much advantage in collecting a wide variety of traits?

For all the events I've seen, background traits only matter if the pilot with it is involved in the event.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

McGavin posted:

For all the events I've seen, background traits only matter if the pilot with it is involved in the event.

Medusa is a technical wunderkind and even in training events Dekker ends up in the hospital. :allears:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BeAuMaN posted:

McGavin posted:

There are a few event specifically based on your background. You'll see the guy who betrayed your family in a bar one event, for example.

But It is an incredibly refreshing change of pace that your choices are pure and honest "What do I feel like playing. That's the only thing this will impact" for once :unsmith:

Such a small thing, but it really stood out to me in an industry where even your astrology sign can make or break your playthrough intentions.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 3, 2018

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

*Chooses Pirate Background*

"Pirates huh? I used to be a pirate."

"Hey Kamea, remember how I used to be a pirate?"

"Mastiff got me out of prison for being a pirate. A Pirate."

"Did I ever tell you guys about all the piratey things I did pirating around as a pirate?"

"YO HO HO! SHIVER ME TIMBERS AND SWAB THE DECK I BE CAPN PROTAGONIST AND YOU MECHLUBBIN SKALLYWAGS BEST BE HANDIN OVER YER BOOTY OR YER MECH CAN WALK THE SPACE PLANK HAR HAR HAR!"

Glitch (now a parrot): SQUAWK!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

And Tyler Too! posted:

There is only one correct choice at character creation, and this is the right one.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RBA Starblade posted:

Medusa is a technical wunderkind and even in training events Dekker ends up in the hospital. :allears:

He really is. I've had Medusa upgrade weapons from stock to + grades. Totally worth him not piloting for a week.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

And Tyler Too! posted:

"Pirates huh? I used to be a pirate."

"Hey Kamea, remember how I used to be a pirate?"

"Mastiff got me out of prison for being a pirate. A Pirate."

"Did I ever tell you guys about all the piratey things I did pirating around as a pirate?"

"YO HO HO! SHIVER ME TIMBERS AND SWAB THE DECK I BE CAPN PROTAGONIST AND YOU MECHLUBBIN SKALLYWAGS BEST BE HANDIN OVER YER BOOTY OR YER MECH CAN WALK THE SPACE PLANK HAR HAR HAR!"

Glitch (now a parrot tetatae with an eyepatch): SQUAWK!

I fixed that for you.

...now I need that mod to be real.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

In regards to weapons and equipment talk, in tabletop, what are some of the better weapons for killing pilots rather than mechs, to save that sweet salvage?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

evilmiera posted:

In regards to weapons and equipment talk, in tabletop, what are some of the better weapons for killing pilots rather than mechs, to save that sweet salvage?

In the era? Ac/20 is the only thing that can do it in one shot outside of the lostech Gauss, though any shot that hits head structure can critical the cockpit for instant death

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the overall king of bullshit headcaps though is the clan ER ppc

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
It also took SIX pilot hits to kill them in the tabletop.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Panfilo posted:

It also took SIX pilot hits to kill them in the tabletop.

and blowing off a torso doesn't get you any pilot damage

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

:siren: FIRST NEW ROBOTS :siren:

The Marauder and Warhammer are out as a mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/266

Stalkerr fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 3, 2018

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Stalkerr posted:

The Marauder and Warhammer are out as a mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/266

it's haaaaapening

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Captain Foo posted:

and blowing off a torso doesn't get you any pilot damage

Though Ammo explosions and gauss rifle crits do. Never had more than 4 total though (two falls due to damaged gyro, an ammo explosion and a head hit.

Also if your life support was damaged you'd suffer a hit if you overheated too much.

Generally you'd just get knocked the gently caress out from the first hit then cored while you were helpless.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Stalkerr posted:

OH gently caress :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Stalkerr posted:

:yeshaha: