Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I got back into this game after throwing in the towel shortly after Afterbirth+ was released. It really feels like they addressed a lot of the problems I had with that expansion and have added a bunch of new items that don't suck, so hooray.

I have one item left to unlock (Broken Modem) and a handful of items to collect, and this is where poo poo has been really annoying. I was trying to do game breaks in Geed Mode, but even with Chaos, none of the items were cycling into the item pool. Each time, I had to give up because I had too much poo poo filling up the levels, so I went as deep into the pools as I could before everything was too overwhelming and I was forced to stop.

The real asskick is when I tried doing a normal run with Isaac, hit a dice room to reroll items, and one of the items I needed actually appeared... on an unreachable island.

So is there something else I should be doing to grab the last few items I need?

-Broken Modem (eventually)
-Moving Box
-Dad's Ring
-Lil Spewer
-Brittle Bones
-Hallowed Ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Grouchio posted:

I have Head of the Keeper as Azazel and I can't pick up the golden horseshoe. What gives?

Do you have the Tick? Have you already smelted a copy of the golden horseshoe (pretty fringe scenario)?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

that ivy guy posted:

Do you have the Tick? Have you already smelted a copy of the golden horseshoe (pretty fringe scenario)?
Oh dear yes I have a tick, and I've never seen the horseshoe before (just got afterbirth)

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Jamesman posted:

-Moving Box
-Dad's Ring
-Lil Spewer
-Brittle Bones
-Hallowed Ground

Modem and Moving Box is just breaking the shop with restock. Lil Spewer, Brittle bones and Hallowed ground are all in the item room pool, so your Isaac D6'ing should be fine.

Dad's Ring is the real bastard here. It is only in the secret room item pool, so it's about as easy to find as the Black Lotus.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Jamesman posted:

So is there something else I should be doing to grab the last few items I need?

-Moving Box
-Dad's Ring
-Lil Spewer
-Brittle Bones
-Hallowed Ground

I've found the most reliable way to grab any items is to go to the room they appear in, fill the room with treasures and find a way to reroll them.

One way to do this is to use Judgement and Temperance cards in said room and keep using them until they drop an item. Fill a room with a number of items, reroll them over and over again. Blank Card is your best friend here. Especially if you can get a Jera and/or a Perthro. If you find a battery, multiply it with BC+Jera and you have an infinite supply of recharges. If you have Restock this becomes even easier, because if there's a battery in the store you can keep buying it. When you get get this setup, don't take any pickups that you don't need so you can multiply them as well and keep chucking money and health into beggars and blood donation machines. Once the room is filled with Blood Bags, Breakfasts and what have you, reroll them until the item you want appears.

There are several other ways to break the game, of course. The D20 is great, and much more useful than the D6 if you ask me. If you have a way to fill a room with pickups (Jar + 2+2 / IV Bag + Bloody Coin / Glitter Bombs + Golden Bomb) and have a D20 available, you can keep rerolling all those pickups into golden chests, which ultimately will reveal treasures. If there are lots of pickups in the room, there's a good chance one of them will turn into a battery which allows you to keep rerolling.

If you come across Rune Bag, Sack Head, or Sack of Sacks, take them. Rune Bag for obvious reasons, Sack items give you more batteries. In fact, most battery related items are great. Bear in mind though that if you decide to use Sharp Plug to recharge your active item, the 9 Volt will render it useless.

Moving Box is really, REALLY good, because you can carry over any treasures you find to the room you want. You need batteries for this, obviously. Also bear in mind that if you have Chaos you can do this in any room.

If you can get a School Bag, take it. Two space bar items will make things less of a hassle if you need two items for the break.

Because both Moving Box and School Bag (AND Blank Card) are shop items, one good way to get this thing rolling is to start the setup inside a store if you have a chance at rerolling.

Other useful items that aren't necessary, but can help include Starter Deck (replaces pills with cards, allows you to carry two cards/runes), Pyromaniac/Host Hat (avoid getting killed by random troll bombs that appear when you reroll stuff), Tarot Cloth (uses cards/runes twice).

This all may sound like it takes a lot of time, but once you're familiar with the breaking meta you come across this poo poo all the time. Nowadays it's even easier than it used to be, because every booster pack has thrown in one more item to break the poo poo out of the game.

RNG is always there, so any item combinations may not appear. Persistence and patience is key. You may need to spend up to 30 minutes in one floor to get all this done, but it's still generally faster than hoping to come across rare items. I wish I was kidding when I say I've spent two hours in one run to get one item I was missing.

Oh, you may want to avoid the Car Battery. It sounds good on paper, but any item rerolls you do are also doubled. This means you exhaust the item pool faster and may skip the item you're looking for.

Sorry if this post is a mess, I basically wanted to say "get infinite rerolls" but got carried away. :v:

EDIT: Just noticed you're still missing Moving Box, so it might be a good idea to unlock it. It's not a must have, but it definitely helps.

Wugga fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 16, 2018

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It’s been a while but I picked up afterbirth + for Switch and I can’t remember the little things that you can do to break the game over your knee, anyone have the links to those YouTube videos that one guy did showing the stuff you can do to destroy the game?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
When I was going for Greed's Gullet (another loving secret room item) I used d6 + Scapular + Sharp Plug to get infinite rerolls and a Judgement card to spawn a pedestal in the secret room. Works great if you can get the items.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Got Mega Satan/godhead :toot:

Got it by the semi reliable method of having Tarot Cloth and Rune Bag, and duplicating brown chests in The Chest until Dad's Key pops out

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Do the items just not show up in the shop in Greed Mode, then? Even with Chaos?

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Jamesman posted:

Do the items just not show up in the shop in Greed Mode, then? Even with Chaos?

They should. Maybe you've just had bad luck?

I'd still suggest breaking the game in a normal run though.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wugga posted:

They should. Maybe you've just had bad luck?

I'd still suggest breaking the game in a normal run though.

Yeah, I'm trying in a normal run right now. Found a Black Market with Diplo, a Steam Sale, and Restock in it, so now I'm buying endless items for free in the shop. Already found Dad's Ring and Moving Box. Got three more items to find among the endless sea of Breakfast, and then I just need to unlock Broken Modem from doing daily runs, and HOPEFULLY that won't be hard to find in a shop eventually (or I'll get lucky and get another game breaking run again).

Edit: I got almost every single item in the game, but could not get Lil Spewer to cycle in. Quit and came back later, and the game crashes if I try continuing that run. Ah well. :/

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 17, 2018

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Anecdotally, the modem shows up in the shop fairly frequently, so that shouldn't be difficult to find.

Personally, I just managed my Forgotten Delirium run. Tech X on the first floor pretty much rolled most of the game, found the D6 to get a few more damage items, got Epic Fetus right before hush and it was a bad idea to pick it up, but I couldn't NOT pick it up because I wanted to see what it did for skeleboy. Still came pretty close to losing, was only saved by the interaction between Epic Fetus and Glitter Bombs spewing out enough random hearts to stick it.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I've been going through finishing all the Delirium runs, and literally just went into Delirium with Lazarus and 2 soul hearts only after a few devil deals. I had the Knife with a few damage upgrade and an I'm Drowsy pill, so I thought it was a shoe in. Then I got hit down to my Lazarus regen and was playing much more safely. Literally it was down to a sliver of health, and all I had to do was hit it with the knife one more time. Then it transforms into mom's leg and I didn't get out of the way in time. It killed me while I also dealt enough damage to kill it, so it didn't count.

My new worst feeling ever playing this game is watching Delirium in its dying animation while I'm dying as well... :shepicide:

E: Ok, finally did it, thanks to Brimstone, The Mark, a ton of other devil deal stuff, being Leviathan, Lump of Coal, and Death's Touch. Who knew all of that was a good combo?

InterrupterJones fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 18, 2018

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Delirium down as Lilith. As it turns out getting Dr. Fetus and Glitter Bombs is a game-breaker, especially after getting Car Battery. (tbh virtually any way to reliably heal in the end boss fights is almost always a game-winner unless you're Lost)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jun 18, 2018

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

InterrupterJones posted:

E: Ok, finally did it, thanks to Brimstone, The Mark, a ton of other devil deal stuff, being Leviathan, Lump of Coal, and Death's Touch. Who knew all of that was a good combo?

The secret to accomplishing anything in Isaac is to post in this thread about how its bullshit and you've been trying for ages. You'll get it within a day, practically guaranteed.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

The secret to accomplishing anything in Isaac is to post in this thread about how its bullshit and you've been trying for ages. You'll get it within a day, practically guaranteed.

*rubs magic lamp*

I have been trying for a week to get Lil Spewer to cycle into the item pool but it just won't!

(also one more daily to do before I unlock Broken Modem yay)

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I broke today's daily with Restock, IV Bag, and Humbling Bundle. IV Bag four times to generate minimum 8 coins, then buy a 2x Heart for 5 coins to refill. That's a combo that I hadn't seen before, and just goes to show how Restock is the best purchase and you should always buy it because there are a thousand ways to break the shop once you have it.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

A buddy of mine is having trouble with his game. He's trying to get to Deli, but the Void portal's not appearing for him. Here is his post from r/bindingofisaac. If anyone has any advice or knows how to fix this please let me know.

"So I've beaten all of the bosses with Isaac except Deli, the only reason being every time I defeat Hush the Void does not appear. I have poked around the whole room thinking a part of the wall might cave to open sort of like when you enter Hush's chamber, but no dice. I have all the DLC installed and the game does not appear to be out of date. Anyone else have this glitch? Is there a fix for this? Or should I resign myself to starting over with a new save file?"

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

SiKboy posted:

I've been trying to do the ultra hard challenge for a couple of weeks now off and on, I beat it on my first save no problem but this time I cannot get a good combo or when I do I get killed by something stupid

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

SiKboy posted:

Ok, time for me to complain about how bullshit The Lost is in general.

Just got very near the end of a Greed run with The Lost and I was stacked: plenty of tears up, plenty of damage up, The Coal, and Death's Touch. Got it down to about 1/5 hp left, only to be bonked on the head with a random coin. I don't want to redundantly post any smilies or anything, but....... :shepicide:

(Boy, can't wait to beat The Lost within a day.)

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I want to draw everyones attention to the word "practically"! Personally I'm currently beating my head off the backasswards challenge. Its such bullshit, you need to randomly be assigned a really great combo or you dont have a chance. Literally the only slight good thing is at least when you fail you fail quite fast as you are dropped straight into the megasatan fight.

InterrupterJones posted:

Ok, time for me to complain about how bullshit The Lost is in general.

Just got very near the end of a Greed run with The Lost and I was stacked: plenty of tears up, plenty of damage up, The Coal, and Death's Touch. Got it down to about 1/5 hp left, only to be bonked on the head with a random coin. I don't want to redundantly post any smilies or anything, but....... :shepicide:

(Boy, can't wait to beat The Lost within a day.)

I hated the lost at first, but actually now I really like using him! Allowing him one hit per room makes him a kind of fun challenge, especially with being able to take free devil deals. Compared with say the Keeper for example, he's great. I have no helpful advice other immunity to explosions is fantastic against Greed, and orbitals are always useful for the lost. I've done greedier with everyone, so now the only times I fire up greed mode is if I'm trying to force a drop for completion. Its just not that fun compared to regular isaac.

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

A buddy of mine is having trouble with his game. He's trying to get to Deli, but the Void portal's not appearing for him. Here is his post from r/bindingofisaac. If anyone has any advice or knows how to fix this please let me know.

"So I've beaten all of the bosses with Isaac except Deli, the only reason being every time I defeat Hush the Void does not appear. I have poked around the whole room thinking a part of the wall might cave to open sort of like when you enter Hush's chamber, but no dice. I have all the DLC installed and the game does not appear to be out of date. Anyone else have this glitch? Is there a fix for this? Or should I resign myself to starting over with a new save file?"

Has he tried leaving Hush' boss room then re-entering? First time I beat Hush after delirium was added the entrance to the void didnt appear, but leaving and re-entering made the entrance appear on the top right of the Hush chamber. This was on PS4.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The Lost struggles with greed mode and mega Satan, but outside of that I think he's the strongest character. 'Get hit no more than once a room' isn't that much of a challenge, and flight and spectral tears are as powerful a defensive combination as you can get. Add on the ability to take every devil deal so that you're almost guaranteed to be an offensive powerhouse, and I can't remember the last time I had a Lost run that wasn't horribly broken. Though sometimes you do just get unlucky in a way you can't with the other characters.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Has he tried leaving Hush' boss room then re-entering? First time I beat Hush after delirium was added the entrance to the void didnt appear, but leaving and re-entering made the entrance appear on the top right of the Hush chamber. This was on PS4.

Yup. He’s tried exiting and re-entering the room. He’s not playing with mods or seeds. He’s now beat Hush three times and touched the back corner and nothing happens.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Yup. He’s tried exiting and re-entering the room. He’s not playing with mods or seeds. He’s now beat Hush three times and touched the back corner and nothing happens.
He could try using Mama Mega on the Hush floor, before fighting Hush. It can force open the Boss Rush and Hush doors, though I don't know if it works on the door to The Void.

Alternatively, he could just try playing through the game normally a few times. After unlocking The Void (by beating Hush), there should be a chance to spawn a portal after each endgame boss. He'll be relying on RNG at that point, but the chances of getting a Void portal at some point during a run are pretty good.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Huh. Silly question, but he has definitely installed AB+, right? Has he beat Delirium with characters other than isaac?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Today's daily went well and I unlocked the Broken Modem. Then did a game break in Greed Mode with the D12, and ultimately got Missing No, which cycled Lil Spewer into my collected items. Now the little poo poo won't stop showing up, after all that struggle to find him in the first place.

Then just ran through Greed Mode treasure rooms for a half hour until Broken Modem was found. All achievements, unlocks, and items obtained!

I'm really glad they addressed the issues from the initial release of AB+, and made the game fun again. I never thought I'd go back to this game, let alone 100% it.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Huh. Silly question, but he has definitely installed AB+, right? Has he beat Delirium with characters other than isaac?

He had not. He’s mainly been playing Isaac to unlock all the bosses. He just beat Hush with Samson and the Void portal appeared. Looks like everything is fixed. Thanks for the help everyone.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Binding of Isaac: Four Souls. An Isaac board/card game!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/isaacfoursouls/the-binding-of-isaac-four-souls

It looks amazing!

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

LifeLynx posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/isaacfoursouls/the-binding-of-isaac-four-souls

It looks amazing!
Okay. Fine.

A proper "The Binding of Isaac: The Animated Series: The Tabletop RPG".

When.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

It looks amazing!

How does it? The video just shows that they've made a card game with BoI dressings. It doesn't show at all what the game is or how it is played.

I can't imagine I could whip this game out to my group of friends and say "hey let's play this". Besides just the imagery of the game, how do you even explain it? All we know about it from that video is that "it is a card game".

Ah well, there's a second video that didn't show up on the mobile version of the page.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

I've been grinding Greed runs with Samson to get the greed machine filled up, and I swear it's jammed on the first coin three times. I hesitantly ask, is there an easier way to do this than just grinding? I've seen a few methods, but I think they've been fixed to not be so easy to obtain in the dlc.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I think it jams less in Greedier, but also jam chance is per character, so while that sounds very unlucky you'll have better luck not using one character to do it all.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

InterrupterJones posted:

I've been grinding Greed runs with Samson to get the greed machine filled up, and I swear it's jammed on the first coin three times. I hesitantly ask, is there an easier way to do this than just grinding? I've seen a few methods, but I think they've been fixed to not be so easy to obtain in the dlc.

At the very least the detailed UI will show you your jam chance percentage.
But you are probably going to have to do it on a handful of characters.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

InterrupterJones posted:

I think the easiest characters to go through in with are Samson, Cain, and Isaac. Samson for his damage buffs, Cain for the free key for the treasure room, and Isaac for potential breakage. But the D20 shows up often enough for any character and is very useful for breaking the game, more consistently than trying to find a Blank Card/Ace of Diamonds (or Jera) combo.

Also if you're not going for breaking the game, I think the Sprinkler is an amazing item for Greed Mode, especially if you can build it up with double uses, faster charges, Habit, maybe a buddy dropping batteries. Having 3 or 4 of those going does some great work.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Funny enough, I switched to a run with Judas and was able to deposit all my coins at the end of the run. Guess I should've switched characters earlier. :v:

Incidentally, this run also got me over 500 coins, so now I can do greedier.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I've never run into this infinite (recursive) hilarity before. That or I've avoided it with void because I was afraid it would do something Fucky.

(It rewinds you out of the room on void, but it also rewinds you void-using the item so you no longer retain it's ability)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

InterrupterJones posted:

You used to be able to do a standard game break and pull items until you get the glowing hourglass. I forget the particulars, but you reach Greed with 99 coins, beat him and donate them, then hourglass to reset.

Did they patch it that much that breaking it doesn't work anymore?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Jamesman posted:

I think the easiest characters to go through in with are Samson, Cain, and Isaac. Samson for his damage buffs, Cain for the free key for the treasure room, and Isaac for potential breakage. But the D20 shows up often enough for any character and is very useful for breaking the game, more consistently than trying to find a Blank Card/Ace of Diamonds (or Jera) combo.

Also if you're not going for breaking the game, I think the Sprinkler is an amazing item for Greed Mode, especially if you can build it up with double uses, faster charges, Habit, maybe a buddy dropping batteries. Having 3 or 4 of those going does some great work.

Lillith is also really easy to do greed with, because of how her item interacts with her starting incubus and the waves giving charges, and how common BFFs is.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
I never got that comfortable using Lilith, and Cambion Conception isn't very nice to me. But if you can wrap your head about how you fire tears and you get lucky enough to grab a few more friends, I can see it being alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Jamesman posted:

I never got that comfortable using Lilith, and Cambion Conception isn't very nice to me. But if you can wrap your head about how you fire tears and you get lucky enough to grab a few more friends, I can see it being alright.

any item that gives you more charged item effectiveness (9-volt, habit, jumper cables, battery, car battery) works extremely well with lillith.

Other characters can get similiar results out of the Sprinkler, which is a very strong item on greed mode. Or the brown nugget, which is also surprisingly good in greed mode.

Honestly the sprinkler is just kind of hilarious in general. Especially if you get mom's eye and Loki's horn and eyeball or lacraphagy.