Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I feel like I'm missing something with House of the Dying Sun. The only tactic I can figure out is fly straight at them and fire the auto cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Guys, guys;

Turns out that drat Detective Phelps was at it again! :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd9Lg-farIw

Anyone remember Max Payne 2 and rear end in a top hat physics? This seems reminiscent, in that it's about using a new technological toy to be a dick to oblivious NPCs...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I feel like I'm missing something with House of the Dying Sun. The only tactic I can figure out is fly straight at them and fire the auto cannon.

Eventually you switch to the tactic of warping behind them and firing the shotgun with the armor piercing mod at their butt. It's a fun game, but the combat never feels particularly deep, and your companion ships all combine to be about as effective as you by yourself, sometimes worse.

The game is priced right for what it is, and is worth playing for those first few hours before the repetition gets to be a bit much.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

OctaviusBeaver posted:

That's a bad tactic. Fly past them while drifting, keep pointing at them and get behind them. If you're using shields, you've made your first mistake. :colbert:

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

It remains insane how rare arcade style dogfight games are. Before House of the Dying Sun and other than Starfox, there was...Crimson Skies? Surely I’m missing some.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Microsoft Freelancer

Rebel Assault
Rebel Assault 2

RA2 was supposedly legendary, especially in the 486 era, I'm watching an asteroid belt stage and it looks really good, 2004 era graphics almost

Also there's Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, which is awesome as it's probably the only video game made that builds upon the Timothy Zahn star Wars books, which until Rogue One came out was effectively Star Wars cannon

Edit: gently caress, I'm old

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I don't know if i would consider RA1 or 2 arcade shooters like anything else mentioned, they were just 90s FMV games where you moved a cursor around on top of a video clip running.

If you are looking for arcade shooters in space you could check out the Anshar games, or endspace. They're very arcadey.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m enjoying House of the Dying Sun. I’m getting the hang of the map, giving commands, and the sense of progressions / difficulty of “you can always come back and handle bonus objectives with a bigger fleet and better weapons”. Plus it really is fun as poo poo to fly around in VR drifting and strafing big ships.

Ultimately this is just going to make me instead FreeSpace 2 + FSO again and see how much I can mod that and play it yet again.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Boxman posted:

It remains insane how rare arcade style dogfight games are. Before House of the Dying Sun and other than Starfox, there was...Crimson Skies? Surely I’m missing some.

Snoopy Flying Ace

:colbert:

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Not arcade style, but the best video game dogfights I experienced we're in Wing Commander 3 and 4.

Maybe the old wc devs will make a new sci-fi game someday :allears:

Aside, HTC is laying off a quarter of its workforce, so look forward to Valve releasing the future Vive products.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Alpha Phoenix posted:

look forward to Valve releasing

Lmfao

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

They are capable of releasing hardware at least, and they're clearly capable of mass-production for the Knuckles considering how many developers have apparently gotten them.

Games-wise is another question altogether, though it's not unreasonable to guess the reason their vaunted "three full games" haven't been seen is because they use the knuckle controllers and aren't being shown till those are locked down.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Not arcade style, but the best video game dogfights I experienced we're in Wing Commander 3 and 4.

Maybe the old wc devs will make a new sci-fi game someday :allears:

Aside, HTC is laying off a quarter of its workforce, so look forward to Valve releasing the future Vive products.

There has always seemed to be a bit of a catch 22 with valve releasing their own hardware for steamVR, besides smaller parts like controllers or the lighthouses. It's in their best interest to price as aggressively as possible to gain steam marketshare for VR, which they can do just fine with all their steam money. However the more aggressive they price their own hardware, the less any other company would want to jump on board making a steamVR headset. Who wants to compete with someone who owns the platform and makes all their money from software when you have to make every dime from hardware sales?

I mean they could make an expensive reference sort of design to show off, sort of like Microsoft's surface line, but I can't see them charging more than HTC would, and it would probably piss off HTC because who would want to buy their hardware if its remotely priced like a competing headset directly from valve?

It feels like they can either try to have a platform where other hardware vendors build for it, while they set a standardized input controller, or they can build their own and scare off a lot of potential companies from building for it.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Colony Wars back in the ps1 days was a cool space shooter with a branching storyline

I’m sure it’s held up like poo poo but I have fond memories

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know if i would consider RA1 or 2 arcade shooters like anything else mentioned, they were just 90s FMV games where you moved a cursor around on top of a video clip running.

If you are looking for arcade shooters in space you could check out the Anshar games, or endspace. They're very arcadey.

Perhaps Rogue Squadron instead of Rebel Assault. Rogue Squadron were 3rd person arcade flight games iirc.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I take it nobody has tried Overload on Steam? For us old bastards, it’s Descent, made by some of the ex Parallax devs, and it’s fully functional in VR with a gamepad or mouse.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bobfather posted:

I take it nobody has tried Overload on Steam? For us old bastards, it’s Descent, made by some of the ex Parallax devs, and it’s fully functional in VR with a gamepad or mouse.

Wow watching that trailer definitely had some flashbacks to the shareware version I used to play on the PC.

Looking back I'm stunned that Descent ran at all on a 386 SX 25

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Hadlock posted:

Looking back I'm stunned that Descent ran at all on a 386 SX 25

And it also ran in VR on a 486 :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mashed_penguin posted:

Perhaps Rogue Squadron instead of Rebel Assault. Rogue Squadron were 3rd person arcade flight games iirc.

Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader works in VR via Dolphin VR. It's real jank as hell but goddamn is it cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJxvScKuUXw

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone play Obduction? I’m a fan of Myst and the ideas of a VR successor tickles my weenus.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone play Obduction? I’m a fan of Myst and the ideas of a VR successor tickles my weenus.

Loved Obduction, great atmosphere, great puzzles, good in VR. Has a great feel where most puzzles just feel like problem solving in an alien world, instead of walking A to B then doing a sliding block puzzle kind of thing (thats not to say there aren't a couple places in the game that feel a bit puzzlish).

It had a good balance of getting stuck in places, but never so frustratingly so i had to look up a walkthrough. YMMV as with any game, but if you liked Myst, I think its a no brainer.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I heard the VR version had severe performance/usability issues. Have they been fixed?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I played it over a year ago, and with my 980ti I couldn't run it on the highest settings, but I didn't have any performance issues beyond bumping the settings down a notch.

It's possible if there were some they got covered up by ASW for me, so I don't know if it would be any different with a vive.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Songbearer posted:

I heard the VR version had severe performance/usability issues. Have they been fixed?
It can do, seems to vary wildly by user. For me it ran like poo poo but I stupidly ran over two hours so couldn't refund it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The performance issues of obduction got fixed in the same patch that they added touch support.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Maybe I'll check out obduction again. I tried to play it in VR before, but it made my head hurt with how terribly it ran. Hopefully it's decent now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh lord, the H3VR July 4th update is insane :stwoon:. While the update video's well worth watching, I highly recommend just loading up Arizona Night ASAP and loading up an AA-12 shotgun with the Cannonball firework rounds.

There's been some... improvements...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I went and dropped $80 on that four-port Startech USB card since my 5-port Inantech was giving me endless headaches. The Startech card works great unless I plug in more than two devices, then I get a "Power surge on the USB port" error. :saddowns: So at the moment it's an $80 two-port card. We'll see what Startech tech support says about it.

I do love my Rift but god drat this tracking system has its flaws

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
For what it's worth, my Rift tracks just fine with one sensor in 3.0 and two in 2.0.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just plug them into whatever ports have have no real issues. Though, I don't have a big area.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

bobfather posted:

I need this

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FBS posted:

I went and dropped $80 on that four-port Startech USB card since my 5-port Inantech was giving me endless headaches. The Startech card works great unless I plug in more than two devices, then I get a "Power surge on the USB port" error. :saddowns: So at the moment it's an $80 two-port card. We'll see what Startech tech support says about it.

I do love my Rift but god drat this tracking system has its flaws

Power plugged into the card right?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I have vital information about H3VR that will change your lives forever!

You can dual-wield the new .50 cal machineguns! :patriot: :magical:.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

EbolaIvory posted:

Power plugged into the card right?

Yep, I tried both SATA and LP4 power.

TheToxicEuphoria
Feb 26, 2008
So my Lenovo Explorer stopped snapping/locking into place when you flip it up/down. Has anyone experienced this?

I'm considering opening the thing up to try to figure out what's going on, as it feels slightly loose on my face now, especially when I look down.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the draw of H3VR? It sounds like the shooting gallery tutorial section of any given FPS.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gort posted:

What's the draw of H3VR? It sounds like the shooting gallery tutorial section of any given FPS.

It has the most involved level of interaction and simulation of any VR guns, the widest variety of guns, and the most transparent early access dev I’ve ever seen. There’s always something new almost every week.

Take & Hold is great fun over and over, Wurstworld is a hoot, plinking with a Mosin in the Snowglobe is also exciting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

It has the most involved level of interaction and simulation of any VR guns, the widest variety of guns, and the most transparent early access dev I’ve ever seen. There’s always something new almost every week.

Take & Hold is great fun over and over, Wurstworld is a hoot, plinking with a Mosin in the Snowglobe is also exciting.

Not just guns, but functional accessories too. You can mount a sniper scope to anything with a tacrail, designate the precise zoom multiplier on the fly by fiddling with it, or just mount a handle to the underside of a machine pistol to make it easier to grab the off-hand spot for holding it.

Or you can be... less than practical.

The mini-blowtorch is for lighting dynamite and fireworks :gibs:.

edit: Behold; The majesty that is...

The Yuletide 'Saw!

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 5, 2018

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
It seemed like a game you'd enjoy if you're really into guns, which I am not so had no fun playing it.

But, it did look really cool. If I cared about guns at all I'd play the hell out of it I'm sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Also the Gun-nasium level is good fun too.

Basically using the hold controls to move through a space sort of like that ISS thingy, but without being able to toss yourself very far, and then you have targets to shoot at too.