Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

quote:

You'll never have to look up again with the display unit.
:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

CollegeCop posted:

So, has The Onion branched out into satirical Kickstarters now?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/925507253/forward-display?ref=category_newest&ref=discovery

This has to be some kind of joke. Right?

Wacky ironic kickstarter campaigns, for when you're a tedious and unfunny art school grad but you don't even have the artistic talent to just draw a pee pee doo doo Disturbing Artwork Reflecting Modern Society like everyone else in your class.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CollegeCop posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/925507253/forward-display?ref=category_newest&ref=discovery

This is for taking videos of people you want to perv on and trying not to look like a pervert.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Finally an innovation in public upskirt filmmaking technology.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

The MSJ posted:

brb, making a Kickstarter for underpants that say "You are a pathetic creep" on them.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

The MSJ posted:

Was bound to happen after England ruled that upskirting isn't a crime lol

edit: lmao apparently Texas says that upskirting isn't a crime, it's a constitutional right http://time.com/5313522/upskirting-law-blocked-uk/

Quote-Unquote has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Jul 3, 2018

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Quote-Unquote posted:

edit: lmao apparently Texas says that upskirting isn't a crime, it's a constitutional right http://time.com/5313522/upskirting-law-blocked-uk/

Eh. Not quite. A specific law targeting it was blocked by some Tory trying to make a point about the way the bill was being pushed through (still an arse).

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quote-Unquote posted:

dont make a meme about it though because those arent ok in England

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

The MSJ posted:

If only this had come sooner, this creepo wouldn't have burned himself.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-shoe-camera-explodes-20180629-story.html

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

CollegeCop posted:

Able to see things in front of you clearly without having to look at them? This kickstarter is going to be big among the Perseus crowd. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bugsy posted:

If only this had come sooner, this creepo wouldn't have burned himself.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-news-shoe-camera-explodes-20180629-story.html

Unavailable in the UK, but is that the guy whose shoe mounted upskirting camera exploded?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Jedit posted:

Unavailable in the UK, but is that the guy whose shoe mounted upskirting camera exploded?

Yes indeed

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also I don't think anybody ACTUALLY holds their phone horizontally and like fuckin' hunches over it while they're walking like in the Banksys. You hold it up vertical, in front of your face, so you can still see in front of you.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This comic about an Iraq War vet Border Patrol sniper fighting the Mexican cartels looks pretty normal, but I wonder how it plays out considering its creator Richard Meyer is infamous for his Youtube videos about how SJWs are ruining comics.

Meyer's racism and sexism have led to his previous crowdfunded comic being boycotted. Here is a pretty comprehensive article about him: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05/13/no-enemy-but-peace-richard-meyer/

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Looked at the page and I have to question your definition of 'normal'.

If that comic isn't a right wing circlejerk full of stereotypes and racism I'd be shocked.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That’s normal now, friend.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Evil Fluffy posted:

Looked at the page and I have to question your definition of 'normal'.

If that comic isn't a right wing circlejerk full of stereotypes and racism I'd be shocked.

:thejoke:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

That’s normal now, friend.

Well one thing is off. All the Mexicans are written with normal-sounding English, not even a "<translated from Spanish>". Maybe that would be too "SJW" or something.

Giving away a poster of the character who was almost raped wearing a tiny bikini as a pledge reward is probably standard though.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

I'm the professional comics artist in my 30s who still hasn't learned how t-shirts work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Count Uvula posted:

I'm the professional comics artist in my 30s who still hasn't learned how t-shirts work.

You haven’t heard of boob pouches?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I received a mysterious email.

here's the video linked within https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=denh9DxYXuk

What the hell? This looks like it's just a pi in a case or something to me? And you get to choose a logo? And this somehow causes "female empowerment"?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It has hugs, everything will turn out ok.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rectal Death Adept posted:

I see they ripped my fanfic off

Spock gets turned into a dog in a transporter accident, also he is a detective now. He refuses treats from McCoy whenever he successfully solves a case though.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Edit: oh my god, he doesn't even have a copy of rpgmaker. He's using a demo lol

Cross posting from AUG: how overly ambitious does one have to be to think this kind of scam will work on KS in 2018? Retsupurae had three or four examples of attempts to pass off a baby’s first RPG Maker project in their Kickstarter Nonstarter series four years ago.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Cross posting from AUG: how overly ambitious does one have to be to think this kind of scam will work on KS in 2018? Retsupurae had three or four examples of attempts to pass off a baby’s first RPG Maker project in their Kickstarter Nonstarter series four years ago.

Aww, I almost feel bad for this kid. He has no idea how the world works. A no idea man.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/298044204/it-tolls-for-thee

quote:

Once I have enough done, I am going to take it to major video game companies to see which one would be willing to buy the idea for a reasonable amount. Meanwhile, I'm going to be taking online courses for JavaScript so that I know more about the inner workings of video games, and also have a marketable skill.

This game is going to be my gateway into the graphic design world. With an idea this good, I believe that I will quickly be recognized for my creativity and dedication, and that one of my preferred video game companies will be willing to hire me on permanently for some of my other project ideas.

quote:

Risks and challenges
The only risks or challenges I can forsee are if I have a hard time finding a video game company that will buy my game. However, I believe that with such a good idea and with the amount of dedication I'm putting into it, I will sell my idea almost immediately and even be on the front lines helping to produce it.

He thinks the game industry is lacking ideas for games. He can learn programming later, he's already a pro at thinking up ideas!

Oh, honey.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
SO many people think that way. I think its the result of auture theory and capitalism creating these few titans of industry who get all the credit like Kojima.

When in reality, every QA tester or artist or programmer has game ideas and NOBODY CARES.

Implementation is everything. Ideas are a penny a dozen, and even a thorough design document isn't worth much at all.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Zaphod42 posted:

SO many people think that way. I think its the result of auture theory and capitalism creating these few titans of industry who get all the credit like Kojima.

When in reality, every QA tester or artist or programmer has game ideas and NOBODY CARES.

Implementation is everything. Ideas are a penny a dozen, and even a thorough design document isn't worth much at all.

I wonder if some of this comes from the days when it really was sometimes a couple guys in a garage making games, or if it is just that the parts that go into making a game are less intuitive (and valued) than other mass media like film. Also, these people usually have very *bad* ideas for games, and I suspect they don't see their ideas in existing games and think it is an untapped market instead of a nonexistent one.

A bunch of kickstarters exploited this too, putting forward a prominent name and then asking a comically small amount of cash. That didn't help develop any healthy expectations in players. I do totally support people sitting down and trying to make things though, if only because they might learn some of what goes into a proper game along the way. (actually it is because I enjoy seeing the terrible RPG maker games about angsty anime boys)

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Facebook Aunt posted:

He thinks the game industry is lacking ideas for games. He can learn programming later, he's already a pro at thinking up ideas!

Oh, honey.
I also liked

quote:

Meanwhile, I'm going to be taking online courses for JavaScript so that I know more about the inner workings of video games

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

All real game programmers use brainfuck.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

“Game developers have no new ideas that’s why they keep making Call of Duty” is a meme some people actually believe, apparently.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The MSJ posted:

“Game developers have no new ideas that’s why they keep making Call of Duty” is a meme some people actually believe, apparently.

Only I can save gaming. With my innovative cynical teen protagonist Lilith/Azeroth.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

Only I can save gaming. With my innovative cynical teen protagonist Lilith/Azeroth.

Let's throw in a sparkledog named Belphagor as a stretch goal.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

Who is secretly a thousand years old and is definitely not a Mary Sue no matter what Becky thinks

This is why I'm so grateful for my terrible little writing group, I got through my first major creative endeavour in a space where it was safely contained and isolated from any audience for long enough that I could look at it and see the teen wish fulfillment angst before I thought about sharing it.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

MrAptronym posted:

I wonder if some of this comes from the days when it really was sometimes a couple guys in a garage making games

This reminded me that in the the last five years we do have legitimate examples of one or a small group of people making games that become absurdly popular and a lot of people think a couple ideas, kickstarter, and no real background research or education will solve all their money and/or self esteem issues. One example: Scott Cawthon made games for years prior to FNaF while working mundane jobs and was about at the end of his rope when a combination of hard work, exposure, and sheer luck/coincidence shot the game into the stratosphere (and eventually Funko merch money). While a couple guys in garage can be successful, few people want to acknowledge what it takes to find success, or accept success doesn’t always look like FNaF, Undertale, Slenderman, or even Baldi’s Basics.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

This reminded me that in the the last five years we do have legitimate examples of one or a small group of people making games that become absurdly popular and a lot of people think a couple ideas, kickstarter, and no real background research or education will solve all their money and/or self esteem issues. One example: Scott Cawthon made games for years prior to FNaF while working mundane jobs and was about at the end of his rope when a combination of hard work, exposure, and sheer luck/coincidence shot the game into the stratosphere (and eventually Funko merch money). While a couple guys in garage can be successful, few people want to acknowledge what it takes to find success, or accept success doesn’t always look like FNaF, Undertale, Slenderman, or even Baldi’s Basics.

You really gonna put Slenderman in there? I mean like the original dude and even much of the people who initially fleshed out a chracter from a set of photoshop images, they had nothing to do with video games.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

fishmech posted:

You really gonna put Slenderman in there? I mean like the original dude and even much of the people who initially fleshed out a chracter from a set of photoshop images, they had nothing to do with video games.

It fits the criteria, rip off or not.

Make sure to check out Scott Cawthon's games before FNAF - he could crank them out, but they were... Rough. Jim Sterling did a video on one before FNAF came out, and it's fascinating/hilarious to look back at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcvRx0Sx1Hc

The unsettling art style done unironically is so bizarre. I have to think someone was honest with him that his graphics were creepy, and he took it to heart and came up with the idea for FNAF. This is why no one should be surprised at the fiasco that was FNAF World.

Edit: holy poo poo lol Pilgrim's Progress was him ahahaahahaa

Rotten Red Rod has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Jul 13, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I have to think someone was honest with him that his graphics were creepy, and he took it to heart and came up with the idea for FNAF.

This was exactly what happened :v: From this interview:

quote:

GUG: What inspired you to create a horror-themed game?

SC: I had made a family friendly game about a beaver before this but it was criticized online; people said the main character looked like a scary animatronic. I went into a pretty deep depression and was ready to give up game-making. Then something in me snapped and I thought to myself that I bet I could make something a lot scarier than that!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The thing is, those success stories tend to be the exception rather than the rule. And even then, there's still a whole lot of risk involved. Like, the guys who made Cuphead would have literally been homeless had the game not been a success.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

The thing is, those success stories tend to be the exception rather than the rule. And even then, there's still a whole lot of risk involved. Like, the guys who made Cuphead would have literally been homeless had the game not been a success.

Yeah I don't think anyone here is disputing that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It fits the criteria, rip off or not.

Make sure to check out Scott Cawthon's games before FNAF - he could crank them out, but they were... Rough.

Uh, no Slenderman ain't a game and none of the people who created him and then built up the major lore around it made games using it or got paid.

Scott meanwhile was always making games and the fnaf stuff is what took off (and he did a pretty good job keeping clones from directly using his characters too).