Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sign up for a book sales list like bookgorilla.com and you'll be spammed with war dad books no matter what you select lol

luv 2 have to expand the number of results because it's 50% "Electric Armageddon (A Slate Buckchip novel) (EMP Aryans #24)"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Phi230 posted:

John Ringo's Ghost was a best selling series

i wonder which has sold more copies, the turner diaries or the protocols of the elders of zion

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

if you want a preview of coming militia violence look at FARC or Shining Path

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

we need to have a civil war to figure out what form the civil war will take

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

FARC and Shining Path actually held territory.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

we need to have a civil war to figure out what form the civil war will take

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Think more Bewegung 2. Juni

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

maybe cw 2 will go like the 2006 thailand coup where all of a sudden there are just tanks in the street and martial law declared and everyones just like what the gently caress

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I just keep thinking about the war in Yemen where the American-armed Gulf Coalition keeps getting owned by Houthi militiamen, because they can't bother to walk further than the length of a mall parking lot from their vehicles.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Al! posted:

maybe cw 2 will go like the 2006 thailand coup where all of a sudden there are just tanks in the street and martial law declared and everyones just like what the gently caress

gonna own when poo poo bosses get their employees killed by insisting that staff work past curfew

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

whats going on here

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Al! posted:

personally i think the rural/urban divide is way overblown because it only refers to electoral politics not control of resources/populations, if things escalate to major conflict it'll be between regions and it'll ultimately be over water

The American West is going to literally loving die if it ever comes to this. I'm reading Cadillac Desert and the lengths Americans went to bring water to the former Great American Desert are insane - in fact, it turns out there's already been an abortive civil war over water rights, between Arizona and California: California attempted to illegally dam the Colorado river, stalling the SCOTUS case against it, and Arizona sent the national guard (California backed off and the case was resolved in favor of Arizona). In the end, Arizona got their share of the Colorado river's (grossly overestimated) flow through the Central Arizona Project, a crazy aqueduct that runs 300 miles across and 3000 feet uphill:

80% of the state's population and 50% of its economy depend on a single diversion channel and a dozen pumping stations (that wouldn't exist without federal money and subsidies)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

whats going on here

he cheated on his wife

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Top City Homo posted:

there isnt going to be a civil war

the olds will die and that's that

Wisdom

Actually, if you look back when the Baby boomers were young (HAV I EVAR TOLD YOU ABOOT THE '60s?!), you'll see quite a bit of turbulence, too

With lots of street fights, terrorists, the works

This too shall pass

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

hackbunny posted:

The American West is going to literally loving die if it ever comes to this. I'm reading Cadillac Desert and the lengths Americans went to bring water to the former Great American Desert are insane - in fact, it turns out there's already been an abortive civil war over water rights, between Arizona and California: California attempted to illegally dam the Colorado river, stalling the SCOTUS case against it, and Arizona sent the national guard (California backed off and the case was resolved in favor of Arizona). In the end, Arizona got their share of the Colorado river's (grossly overestimated) flow through the Central Arizona Project, a crazy aqueduct that runs 300 miles across and 3000 feet uphill:

80% of the state's population and 50% of its economy depend on a single diversion channel and a dozen pumping stations (that wouldn't exist without federal money and subsidies)

They must loose a lot to evaporation, they should pipeline it

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nebakenezzer posted:

They must loose a lot to evaporation, they should pipeline it

No way, man. What would I pee in?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wisdom

Actually, if you look back when the Baby boomers were young (HAV I EVAR TOLD YOU ABOOT THE '60s?!), you'll see quite a bit of turbulence, too

With lots of street fights, terrorists, the works

This too shall pass

Yeah, the 60's and 70's were way more violent than the slapfights with camera phones we call riots these days. On my old college campus alone they burned the union down and set off multiple bombs in the ROTC building.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

now imagine how violent things are going to get when the security state has made those kinds of outlets impossible to pursue and also the sea levels are rapidly rising

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Al! posted:

probably

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
The intensification of the U.S. culture war continues to help corporate profits, so it will probably continue. A civil war would be more likely if there were plenty of profit to be made off of it?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

prisoner of waffles posted:

The intensification of the U.S. culture war continues to help corporate profits, so it will probably continue. A civil war would be more likely if there were plenty of profit to be made off of it?

No one ever profits in a war!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/1014279612178796544

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Zeroisanumber posted:

No one ever profits in a war!

I gotcha, but who's making bank on this hypothetical war in a country with a largely consumer economy? Will their influence predominate over non-belligerent interests who are losing probably more due to the hostilities?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
My cheat code here is basically "this is the U.S., if it's not good for capitalism it's mostly not allowed *"

(please do not point out that trade wars and expelling large numbers of disposable workers are not good for capitalism, I'm trying to pretend things are not that crazy yet)

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

My cheat code here is basically "this is the U.S., if it's not good for capitalism it's mostly not allowed *"

(please do not point out that trade wars and expelling large numbers of disposable workers are not good for capitalism, I'm trying to pretend things are not that crazy yet)

Without constant government interference, capitalism is bad for capitalism.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

you aren't totally off. depends on who benefits. some things benefit one player in capitalism and others benefit Capitalism.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

We have hit peak loving stupid.

"I'm not wrong, it's the dictionary that is wrong!" :downs:

God imagine being the English teacher for any of these little shits. You would go mad in days.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TulliusCicero posted:

God imagine being the English teacher for any of these little shits. You would go mad in days.

Okay looking past that (it was a joke calm down) it seems way more likely that Trump used the wrong word rather than Trump is intentionally making a subtle quip by using the wrong spelling of a word.

The man has a vocabulary of 200 words.

I think much more stupid is "Trump couldn't have made a mistake so obviously he's trolling"

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

Okay looking past that (it was a joke calm down) it seems way more likely that Trump used the wrong word rather than Trump is intentionally making a subtle quip by using the wrong spelling of a word.

The man has a vocabulary of 200 words.

I think much more stupid is "Trump couldn't have made a mistake so obviously he's trolling"

Trump's team has actually said that they sometimes gently caress up on purpose to connect with their shithead base.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

I have to cover grammar for a test prep course I teach, and I swear that half the time someone disagrees with the correct answer it’s “well, *I* wouldn’t write it that way.”

Yeah well I’ve read your emails, so that’s not a compelling argument.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Jon Joe posted:

Without constant government interference, capitalism is bad for capitalism.

hmm yeah, the prototypical crisis of capital is when the underlying economy can't support the Quest for Ever-Higher Rates of Return but I don't know about there prior examples of a crisis caused/ by the complete despoilation of e.g. societal trust, the political system, the environment.

What's the best example of a capitalist crisis where squandered common goods played a part?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Bobby Digital posted:

I have to cover grammar for a test prep course I teach, and I swear that half the time someone disagrees with the correct answer it’s “well, *I* wouldn’t write it that way.”

Yeah well I’ve read your emails, so that’s not a compelling argument.

prescriptivist scum

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I like the fact that these people are arguing over why trump actually isn't stupid you guys

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
Why/whether Trump is stupid is a culture war fight that can achieve absolutely nothing.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

pour over v pore over is the most "make donald drumpf again" gotcha possible

i would have said pour over and i will continue to do so

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Do you have two college degrees?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Do you have two college degrees?

i am LITERALLY an award winning political scientist

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Al! posted:

i am LITERALLY an award winning political scientist

those were parking tickets man not awards

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

those were parking tickets man not awards

if that was true why would they have permanently impounded then sold my car so they can i assume give me a ferrari as a prize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

I gotcha, but who's making bank on this hypothetical war in a country with a largely consumer economy? Will their influence predominate over non-belligerent interests who are losing probably more due to the hostilities?

Pretty much this. Also, war profiteering generally works best on the assumption that the war is happening somewhere else, away from your facilities, workforce, and supply chains.