Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

BAE OF PIGS posted:

What's personal capital all about? I looked at it a little but don't know if it's something I would find beneficial, and I currently use YNAB4 to keep track of net worth. I don't really have investments other than 401k/roth IRA stuff.

What are the free features that are so great?

It's like Mint, but more oriented towards investment tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

DNK posted:

Banks have reoccurring scheduled transfers too. Just skip the app and use your bank (unless it does something else I’m not getting).

I do this as well. The app uses some algorithm to find $5 here, $20 there to put into savings in addition to whatever I put in.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

BigDave posted:

It's like Mint, but more oriented towards investment tracking.
Yeah, I use it to look at my asset allocations and rebalance if things are too far off. It's nice because it ties together like nine different investing accounts I have so I can see the big picture. Mint continually was deleting my husband's vanguard info because they couldn't handle that I had multiple vanguard accounts, after the tenth time of reinputting the logins I said gently caress this.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
So is it really not worth the bother if I basically just have a vanguard Roth ira and my 401k and an old 403b?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

moana posted:

Yeah, I use it to look at my asset allocations and rebalance if things are too far off. It's nice because it ties together like nine different investing accounts I have so I can see the big picture. Mint continually was deleting my husband's vanguard info because they couldn't handle that I had multiple vanguard accounts, after the tenth time of reinputting the logins I said gently caress this.

I like that you can drill into all the different allocations and see where you need to adjust. I have 4 accounts so it was hard to see what was really going on with out a lot of work. The only non free feature that would be nice is tax loss harvesting.

BAE OF PIGS posted:

So is it really not worth the bother if I basically just have a vanguard Roth ira and my 401k and an old 403b?

If you think you have a good handle on where your money is and if you have the right diversification than probably not. But it is a pretty nice website, very easy to use.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

BAE OF PIGS posted:

It has a nice, unobtrusive iOS app that summarizes all accounts on one page. If you already have an aggregator you like don’t bother. I don’t budget but it’s nice to show my wife where we spent our money. My portfolio is three funds and while the investment tracker is neat I don’t base decisions on it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Personal Capital is US-only. Boo. We have six investment accounts, soon to be eight or even nine and it's a pain in the rear end to check and balance all of those every three months.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I enjoy this, and it's nice to see up to date account information on one page instead of having to check a ton of different accounts just to upload them all in to YNAB4 to get a picture of current net worth. Thanks.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I enjoy this, and it's nice to see up to date account information on one page instead of having to check a ton of different accounts just to upload them all in to YNAB4 to get a picture of current net worth. Thanks.
I made a google form that my wife and I fill out that aggregates all of our account data into the various tracking spreadsheets I've produced for the purpose. It's probably closer to something like YNAB than Personal Capital but it's fully customizable and doesn't sell my data to anybody.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hoodwinker posted:

I made a google form that my wife and I fill out that aggregates all of our account data into the various tracking spreadsheets I've produced for the purpose. It's probably closer to something like YNAB than Personal Capital but it's fully customizable and doesn't sell my data to anybody.

I get this for sure but I am kind of at the point where it is just part of life. I kind of compare it to the people who complain about utilities still using coal and natural gas but have no understanding of how difficult it is to change the resourcing and how the grid delivers it to people. At the same time though if the lights didn't turn on...hell to pay.

I have kept a spreadsheet since 2012 and still do it. But the site helps so much with my asset allocation.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Lobbyists are why utilities still use coal and natrlural gas, not "it's hard to change."

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nail Rat posted:

Lobbyists are why utilities still use coal and natrlural gas, not "it's hard to change."

lol... yeah...that is it. We are building wind like crazy. Heck we are trying to get approval from the PUC for 1100 MW wind, 700MW solar and 300MW of battery right now in Colorado (it will happen for sure just takes time) and it is cheaper than maintaining existing coal, which we keep shutting down (another 300 MW once all this comes online). We are bringing 600MW of wind online in the fall and it is the cheapest energy on the grid here (that project was extremely face paced at under 3 years from start to finish if you exclude the 5 years of negotiations and wind studies with the land owners before that). It is all about economics.

The biggest issue is approvals, nimbys, additional grid changes due to the placement of resources, and just the time it takes to build. It doesn't happen overnight. The dynamic nature of solar and wind is an actual problem and the loss of spinning mass is difficult to overcome, we already have installed several SVCs and more will need to be put on the system. Ultimately you end up hanging a lot of solar and wind out on big radial lines, most coal and gas plants have a half dozen lines feeding out of them, making maintenance, outages, etc a lot easier.

Anyways here is a article about the project: https://pv-magazine-usa.com/2018/06/07/worlds-largest-lithium-ion-battery-1-gwh-solarpower-xcel-energy-colorado-wind-power/

One thing the article doesn't talk about is the other changes to the grid that have to happen and the cost of those projects.

Obviously I am proud of where I work and a bit defensive about it but we are doing things and we are being a leader in the industry. Probably not the right thread for this discussion but I get fired up. :)

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah Xcel has a long history of promising record breaking amazing projects in Colorado and then abandoning them after a year or two without actually getting started. Seems to work well at placating the elite liberals around here, they have not caught on to this pattern even though this same poo poo has been happening over and over since the 80s.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So a company that didn't exist in until 2002 was causing the issues in the 80s? We are doing things and doing them in the last ten years or so. Shutting down Valmont next year, shutting down coal at Cherokee, shut down Zuni, shut down Arapahoe (and tore it down) coal is going away. Tons of PPA's for wind, built Rush Creek (which more wind will inject into the line that was built for that project). I mean the CEPP selected projects are going to happen by 2023 as long as the PUC gives the final go ahead this fall, maybe send in a comment of support. If you look between 2017 and 2023 you will have 2300MW Wind, 800MW Solar, and 300MW battery installed. The peak load for Xcel and the rea's that buy power from us is just under 8000MW. Once you make the grid updates, account for spinning mass loss, put in static var compensation and shunt reactors, etc you will be able to go higher. Or just watch the next big technology change make a huge push in that direction (solar efficiency, battery tech, home efficiency, etc). You can bitch and moan about what didn't happen in the 80s or you can embrace what is happening now.

E: If you are referring to SB100 most of that didn't happen because the economics were not there and the PUC didn't allow it to go forward. During Rush Creek CPCN we were specifically asked if this was SB100 lines with new clothes and had to convince the PUC it was not.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 17, 2018

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I don’t know what local utility grievances are going on here, but the economics of renewables haven’t been there because of policy established in response to lobbying. Most of the externalities in power generation are hidden by foisting them onto less visible vulnerable and actively disenfranchised populations or by straight up socializing them like when the government has to go in and clean up the mess for coal companies. If the system had been designed so that power and extraction companies had to actually pay their own costs, the break even point for renewables would have come decades ago.

In any case, it’s good that that change is happening now but it’s a bit disingenuous to suggest that companies have just been blameless puppets guided by the invisible hand or whatever.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
There's a job at Company X that I'd love to work at. Jane Doe is in my Linkedin network, and she has worked at Company X for about ten years now, and she might be in a managerial position for the role itself, or at least somehow connected to it internally.

I don't know Jane personally. She added me on Linkedin about two or three years ago, likely because we had mutual connections to a couple of IT recruiters. When I saw the description on Linkedin, it said that she worked there, and I could ask her for a referral.

Personally, I feel like I shouldn't ask - best-case she could be totally fine with referring a stranger, worst-case she could put the word out to keep an eye out for this MJP guy, who tried to weasel a referral from a tenuous-at-best relationship.

Is it a good idea? Should I try to set myself up as a candidate if it is a good idea to ask, or should I just be all "Hi Jane, we connected a few years back. I saw that Company X is hiring for a Designated Beer Taster. I was wondering if you would feel comfortable referring me for the role?"

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Do it, I did it and it got me my job now. LinkedIn is essentially a networking app, so use it for that purpose!

Even if she says no, maybe ask if you can get the name of someone that can refer you or at least pass your info on.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

MJP posted:

Is it a good idea? Should I try to set myself up as a candidate if it is a good idea to ask, or should I just be all "Hi Jane, we connected a few years back. I saw that Company X is hiring for a Designated Beer Taster. I was wondering if you would feel comfortable referring me for the role?"

I'd put one more step in there before the referral request. It usually goes...

1) Connect with person (ages ago preferably)
2) Hey, been a while since we chatted, blah blah. Saw you folks are hiring for Designated Beer Tester! It looks right up my alley and I wanted to reach out to you to learn more about your company/department/role/whatever.
3) Oh cool, this totally sounds great. Do you have a referral system in your hiring network? Would you feel comfortable referring me?

Butter up the connection before you ask for something. Everyone knows it's horseshit and that you're really just looking for a job, including the connection, but the dog and pony show is required all the same.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sundae posted:

I'd put one more step in there before the referral request. It usually goes...

1) Connect with person (ages ago preferably)
2) Hey, been a while since we chatted, blah blah. Saw you folks are hiring for Designated Beer Tester! It looks right up my alley and I wanted to reach out to you to learn more about your company/department/role/whatever.
3) Oh cool, this totally sounds great. Do you have a referral system in your hiring network? Would you feel comfortable referring me?

Butter up the connection before you ask for something. Everyone knows it's horseshit and that you're really just looking for a job, including the connection, but the dog and pony show is required all the same.

I ended up going that route. I did step 2 yesterday and if I don't hear back by EOB tomorrow, I'll just apply.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

edit: whoops, meant to post in the interview thread

Enfys fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 3, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Just use vague figures and buzzwords, "reduced aging/unserviceables by nearly 90% by focusing on the realistically achievable recovery of each account" if I'm parsing that right. Basically you had a lot of non-paying debtors on the books and you developed a plan to either settle or bring them current with restructured payments, etc?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I ate out yesterday.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
Car buying is fantastic in TYOOL 2018. I found a car online and texted/emailed through the entire info gathering, bargaining, and finance application session. Had the car driven to my house for a small fee, signed the papers on the hood. Never entered the dealer! Having the sales guy “talk with his manager” on price is bearable by email.

But.. no income verification at all. Am I naive for thinking they’d want at least a paycheck to see if I can afford the payments?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

But.. no income verification at all. Am I naive for thinking they’d want at least a paycheck to see if I can afford the payments?
This is America.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
They don't mind selling the same car twice. Default away!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

howdoesishotweb posted:

Car buying is fantastic in TYOOL 2018. I found a car online and texted/emailed through the entire info gathering, bargaining, and finance application session. Had the car driven to my house for a small fee, signed the papers on the hood. Never entered the dealer! Having the sales guy “talk with his manager” on price is bearable by email.

Maybe they never cleared the lien and don't care about payments as long as you make a few

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Can’t wait for the crash so I can buy a sweet 5.0 mustang for pennies on the dollar.

I have no idea how repossessed cars work

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boop the snoot posted:

I have no idea how repossessed cars work

Well, let's think about it: it's a car that a person couldn't afford to keep up with the payment to the point that is was repossessed. What are the chances they were spending money on maintaining it properly?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Motronic posted:

Well, let's think about it: it's a car that a person couldn't afford to keep up with the payment to the point that is was repossessed. What are the chances they were spending money on maintaining it properly?

Or even caring about leaving it in resellable condition - you're gonna probably have to reupholster the interior for any number of reasons most of which aren't terribly gross.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Hopefully quick question:

My girlfriend and I moved in together in a condo she owns and we are trying to figure out what's the best thing to do with the portion of the money she's saving from having me move in and pay rent (about $1,000/month). Is it better to:

-Throw the extra money saved into equity on her condo which is a 1 bedroom in Northern Virginia, worth about $200k with ~$160k? left on the mortgage. Note that the note rate on the mortgage is preposterously low because she got some special teacher-only deal from a credit union.

-Throw the extra money into her retirement savings. She is eligible for a pension from her school district but can also contribute to a 401k-like thing but there's no employer match.

-Open a Roth IRA and max it

-Save the money as a CD for larger future expenses (wedding, new house, car, etc.)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I’m poor in money but rich in love, friends, and family :)

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

axeil posted:

Hopefully quick question:

My girlfriend and I moved in together in a condo she owns and we are trying to figure out what's the best thing to do with the portion of the money she's saving from having me move in and pay rent (about $1,000/month). Is it better to:

-Throw the extra money saved into equity on her condo which is a 1 bedroom in Northern Virginia, worth about $200k with ~$160k? left on the mortgage. Note that the note rate on the mortgage is preposterously low because she got some special teacher-only deal from a credit union.

-Throw the extra money into her retirement savings. She is eligible for a pension from her school district but can also contribute to a 401k-like thing but there's no employer match.

-Open a Roth IRA and max it

-Save the money as a CD for larger future expenses (wedding, new house, car, etc.)
- First: prioritize tax-advantaged space.
- Then: if you have a defined future goal, calculate out the exact amount you would need to save per month/pay period in order to reach that goal and save only that amount. You can always get married for like $80 at a courthouse or hold off buying a new house. You can't do this with your retirement.
- Then: additional principal on low-interest debt.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

- First: prioritize tax-advantaged space.
- Then: if you have a defined future goal, calculate out the exact amount you would need to save per month/pay period in order to reach that goal and save only that amount. You can always get married for like $80 at a courthouse or hold off buying a new house. You can't do this with your retirement.
- Then: additional principal on low-interest debt.

Awesome, thanks. I'm already maxing my Roth IRA and throwing as much as I can into my Roth 401k, so I'll advise her to open up a Roth and max it before Thanksgiving (should be trivially easy).

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
loving tradewar makes number go down. Go up now for better!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Potrzebie posted:

loving tradewar makes number go down. Go up now for better!

son you seem to fundamentally misunderstand your position in the market

if you are long, like super long, you want poo poo to be cheap

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

son you seem to fundamentally misunderstand your position in the market

if you are long, like super long, you want poo poo to be cheap

I know, Trump is dumb as hell but if the market drops 10000 points...cool. I will be ready to buy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
also don't time the market

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
But if you aren't really trying to time the market and you happen to be presented with the chance to buy while the S&P 500 is at -7000 then that's a good opportunity so....

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol at betting on a recovery at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can't wait for boomers to lose half their retirement savings in a crash and work until they die, leaving everyone else broke and unemployed