Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-03/foodora-rider-fights-dismissal-from-food-delivery-service/9934138

quote:

A former food delivery rider who is claiming unfair dismissal at the Fair Work Commission says he is fighting for change in the gig economy, in what is believed to be the first case of its kind in Australia.
Josh Klooger, 28, said he first started to work for food delivery service Foodora in Melbourne in 2016.
"I thought I had found the dream job. Getting paid to ride a bike," he said.
"At the time, it was pretty good. I was getting $14 an hour and $5 per delivery," he said outside the commission in Sydney.
But over time the wages for new riders fell, he said.
"It reduced to $13 an hour, $3 per delivery. Then in October 2016, it dropped down to $10 an order and zero per hour," Mr Klooger said.
The payment per order dropped further in 2017 and was $7 an order in early 2018.
Mr Klooger said he was dismissed in March for publicly talking about his pay and conditions.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-03/pacemaker-secret-payments-helping-private-hospital-profits/9923964

quote:

An ABC investigation has found private hospitals and clinics are getting between 5 and 50 per cent of the value of pacemakers as rebate payments in cash, or in-kind, for using a particular company's brand.
Under one agreement, a clinic attracted rebates of up to 50 per cent for purchases that added up to more than $3 million.
Legal experts and industry insiders say this payment is better described as a kickback, it could be costing the health system millions, inflating insurance premiums, and ultimately impacting on public-hospital patients.

Under the scheme, a doctor recommends a pacemaker for a patient. The doctor then informs the private hospital and that hospital requests that device from the manufacturer.
The hospital invoices the health insurer, which pays the hospital for the full cost of the pacemaker, and this invoice is then paid in full back to the manufacturer.
The manufacturer then "rebates" a proportion of the total cost back to the private hospital. That rebate is subject to negotiation and varies between hospitals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Pro-paedophilia. Associates with someone who acts like a child.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

AgentF posted:

But this was a beat-up though. She went down there to host community forums, meet with businesses and draw attention to the Bight. This was entirely within her remit as a parliamentarian. It wasn't even bad, let alone anywhere near the large-scale rorting we see from the Liberal party. How was this anything more than NewsCorp piling on?

Beat up yes, but it is driven by the same self interest and promotion of her Uni politics days.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
She can be the most self-promoting person in the world if she opposes the concentrations camps that Labor and the Coalition support.

Guess what, nearly every politician who has ever lived and ever will live is a manifestly awful, power-hungry, ladder climbing sociopath. Support the one who doesn't lust for the blood of refugees.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

racing identity posted:

She can be the most self-promoting person in the world if she opposes the concentrations camps that Labor and the Coalition support.

Guess what, nearly every politician who has ever lived and ever will live is a manifestly awful, power-hungry, ladder climbing sociopath. Support the one who doesn't lust for the blood of refugees.

We are. Everyone does. We are conducting more wide ranging discussion. I don't think a single poster has not come out to bat for her.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-04/incineration-clean-energy-finance-corporation/9935186

quote:

Incinerating household waste using "best-practice" European combustion technology meets the criteria for investment by Australia's national clean energy bank.
The Clean Energy Finance Corporation (CEFC) — which has never invested in an incineration project before — has indicated it is open to financing such schemes.
Australia ready to become a world leader in "clean tire fire" technology

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

We are. Everyone does. We are conducting more wide ranging discussion. I don't think a single poster has not come out to bat for her.

JBP posted:

I always thought I was about to have a schizoid embolism when SHY was on because it was like being mentally assaulted by every single student politics lecture invader at once.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah no poo poo. I also said that she's way better at politicking now and a lot of people itt got over it too. Conduct and personality are actually important to a politician, hth.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

Yeah no poo poo. I also said that she's way better at politicking now and a lot of people itt got over it too. Conduct and personality are actually important to a politician, hth.

So she was the victim of sexual harrassment in the workplace and your contribution was "I used to think she was bad but she has since prpven to be good"

You were a better poster before you rebranded into an ersatz IWC contrarian pretending to be much stupider than you actually are

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

More importantly than anything, Greens politicians are in the limelight far more often than their major counterparts. It's harder to get a sense of a politician (I'll use women in the same age bracket) like Ellis or Rishworth because they, like their young male counterparts (Hawke was my earlier example) get loss in the morass of their party. Compare SHY's style of politics to someone like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Ocasio-Cortez is much more "divisive" to quote the dickhead pundits, but her public persona and conduct are 100% on point when it comes to talking to the left demographic. SHY until more recently, was not an excellent communicator and smacked of privileged uni politics. Similarly if we want to talk Greens, people didn't like what they read and saw of Bhatal for similar reasons. This would be fine for a newly minted wallflower being whipped by a massive party machine by virtue of the fact that you simply don't notice them, but she is a minor politician that commands very high media profile and is one of their few federal politicians.

This is also the youngest person ever elected to the senate as well, of course the impression she made in her first term was poor. She had little experience outside of the uni circuit and that shone through. This isn't controversial stuff.

e: Tim Watts is guilty of exactly the same stuff, but he is granted the power to fly under the radar as well and no one outside the west would even know who he is.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 4, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

racing identity posted:

So she was the victim of sexual harrassment in the workplace and your contribution was "I used to think she was bad but she has since prpven to be good"

You were a better poster before you rebranded into an ersatz IWC contrarian pretending to be much stupider than you actually are

I'm not talking about the situation with Leyonhjelm because the consensus is that she is right, he is wrong and there needs to be some kind of rules change or penalty imposed to address it.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
LOLing at the idea of going to the luxurious Great Australian Bight as some kind for taxpayer rort.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

JBP posted:

I'm not talking about the situation with Leyonhjelm because the consensus is that she is right, he is wrong and there needs to be some kind of rules change or penalty imposed to address it.

How about just enforce workplace sexual harassment, bullying, discrimination laws from parliamentary privilege.
In any other workplace this would be a slam dunk sexual harassment case. Just imagine if someone had said that poo poo at an all hands company meeting

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

norp posted:

How about just enforce workplace sexual harassment, bullying, discrimination laws from parliamentary privilege.
In any other workplace this would be a slam dunk sexual harassment case. Just imagine if someone had said that poo poo at an all hands company meeting

This. You'd be out the door by lunch time and it would be less about exactly what was said and more about the risk of keeping a deadbrain employee like Leyonhjelm on the books. Too bad his business model is terrible optics and being bald.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

norp posted:

Just imagine if someone had said that poo poo at an all hands company meeting

promotion

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Lmao comparing shy to aoc

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

AgentF posted:

Pro-paedophilia. Associates with someone who acts like a child.

*in extremely lolbertarian voice* But what if the child consents???

- Dave Feline Headgear, probablly

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Birdstrike posted:

Lmao comparing shy to aoc

She is our most left female politician because we only tolerate white people.

e: SHY is actually more like Rosa Parks though in this instance.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 4, 2018

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Imagine how lovely you have to be to take a case of sexual harassment and make it about the victim

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

She is our most left female politician because we only tolerate white people.

e: SHY is actually more like Rosa Parks though in this instance.

*Toilet flushes*

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
It appears JBP has fallen down a well

*the sound of 47 pairs of Goony cargo pants unzipping*

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sloth was right though. It's pretty incredible watching the Liberal party fall in to support SHY.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

It appears JBP has fallen down a well

*the sound of 47 pairs of Goony cargo pants unzipping*

What does this even mean?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Cue laugh track, zoom in on JBP's face, fade out to "Curb Your Enthusiasm" jingle

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Only true IWC fans will get the Rosa Parks reference.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

Only true IWC fans will get the Rosa Parks reference.

That's me hosed then.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

That's me hosed then.

Actually I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it was IWC that posted an amazing text wall comparing Pauline's political imprisonment to Parks.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Let's get rid of parliamentary privilege. This won't backfire

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i think my favourite iwc was the time he pretended to be a muslim woman and posted a lot about walking alone at night

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

gucci bane posted:

Let's get rid of parliamentary privilege. This won't backfire

Nobody's suggesting this?

I think the Speaker of the House should have reasonable powers to strike something from parliamentary privilege if it is found to be overly insulting, harassing or threatening.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

I think the Speaker of the House should have reasonable powers to strike something from parliamentary privilege if it is found to be overly insulting, harassing or threatening.

Ah yes, impartial referees of discourse and decorum such as... *checks notes* Bronwyn Bishop

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Sloth was right though. It's pretty incredible watching the Liberal party fall in to support SHY.

Actually it’s because I hate all women who I don’t want to gently caress

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/CroweDM/status/1014308066492231680
Good on them I suppose

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Even if you don’t agree with criticism of SHY, it’s pretty obvious that the entire right wing go into apoplexy about her whether it’s MPs or sky news or the herald sun, so the fact that all of them are in lock step against lleyonhelm (reluctantly/belatedly/half heartedly in some cases) goes to show just what a garbage idiot he is.

Latham is probably the only person left who would even try to defend him over this

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Solemn Sloth posted:

Actually it’s because I hate all women who I don’t want to gently caress

extremely same

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh. lol of course
https://twitter.com/patbcaruana/status/1014314191388229632

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

bell jar posted:

i think my favourite iwc was the time he pretended to be a muslim woman and posted a lot about walking alone at night

My favorite was when IWC pretended to be women so many times that when actual women tried to talk in AusPol, everyone thought they were IWC.

I'm still not convinced that Fruity Gordo isn't an elaborate IWC hoax.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

NewScab

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Even if you don’t agree with criticism of SHY, it’s pretty obvious that the entire right wing go into apoplexy about her whether it’s MPs or sky news or the herald sun, so the fact that all of them are in lock step against lleyonhelm (reluctantly/belatedly/half heartedly in some cases) goes to show just what a garbage idiot he is.

Latham is probably the only person left who would even try to defend him over this

Shot: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-08/mark-latham-joins-liberal-democratic-party/8507842

quote:

Former federal Labor opposition leader turned media commentator Mark Latham has announced he will join the Liberal Democrats Party, headed by David Leyonhjelm.

Mr Latham revealed his decision in a post on his Facebook page, saying he was returning to politics to "play a role in fighting for our national values".

"I support 80-90 per cent of the Liberal Democrats platform, pretty good for someone with strong views formed over a long period of time," Mr Latham said.

"So I have joined up and want to play a role in fighting for our national values, based on personal freedom and responsibility."

He said the "party of freedom" allowed room for "dissent and diversity of opinion", something he said contrasted greatly to the values of his former party.

Chaser: https://www.2gb.com/mark-latham-senator-leyonhjelms-comment-just-inappropriate/

quote:

The Outsider Mark Latham tells Chris Kenny the sexist remarks made by Senator Leyonhjelm are “just inappropriate”.

“I would barely agree with anything Sarah Hanson-Young says about politics, in that respect I think she’s a fool, but the reality is, even fools have got the right to privacy with regards to their sex life.

“What I find disappointing about Senator Leyonhjelm is that David is Australia’s most prominent libertarian and an important part of liberty is to respect the privacy of others.

“To double down, as Leyonhjelm has… time after time, you know, is just inappropriate, it’s wrong. It doesn’t add to the debate.

“You can make mistakes in politics, you should apologise and I think Leyonhjelm’s in that position today.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Nobody's suggesting this?

Yep and then after a while those powers will be expanded to include national interest grounds. Its better to leave it given how rare something like this is. Lets just hope the Australian public do their part and vote the dickhead out.

• Locked thread