Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So like a hundred keys dropped in my mailbox today and now I have a bunch of monsters that I have no idea if they’re good or bad :stare: sadly I did not get a valkyrie or an alchemist which I hear are super good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Any chance you snagged the Dragon Soul?

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014
I had a very, very lucky dragon week last week and pulled both Dragon Soul and Divinia. I fully expect to pull nothing of value for many weeks now...

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Xun posted:

So like a hundred keys dropped in my mailbox today and now I have a bunch of monsters that I have no idea if they’re good or bad :stare: sadly I did not get a valkyrie or an alchemist which I hear are super good

Welcome to the weekly guild task loot piñata. It shocked me too. And we’re not even getting half the tasks done each week (although we’re doing better than normal this week in gem blossoms, thanks guys :shobon: ), I can only imagine how much the main guild gets.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Since there's a new Mythic on Friday, let's try and get to 40k seals this week. Make sure you hit your 1500 cap and then pop all your Clans orbs. I've currently got 5 orbs saved up and will be using them.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I know there are issues with first turn 4+ gem matches losing the extra turn and I've seen that every now and then. Is the computer getting your extra turn?
I just played one where the I started with a 4 gem match but didn't get my extra turn. Following that the opponent matched 2 separate sets of 3 gems on opposite sides of the board at the same time and then took an unearned extra turn for another 3 gem match.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
I don't know what I'm doing, someone invite me to a guild anyway please.

PESTERCHUM_7BIP

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

How do I join the guild, as a brand new player?

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard

tithin posted:

How do I join the guild, as a brand new player?

Post your invite code, I believe Gem Blossoms have room

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bandire posted:

Since there's a new Mythic on Friday, let's try and get to 40k seals this week. Make sure you hit your 1500 cap and then pop all your Clans orbs. I've currently got 5 orbs saved up and will be using them.

Do we know what it is or how to get it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Thejaff posted:

Post your invite code, I believe Gem Blossoms have room

Where do I find this? :)

e: found it! TITHIN_DDU5

tithin fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 4, 2018

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Ultimate Mango posted:

Do we know what it is or how to get it.

Go to http://www.taransworld.com/Spoilers/ for upcoming troop Spoilers.

Suna
Mana Color: Green, Purple, Red
Steal [Magic +3] Life from the 2 weakest enemies, then steal 8 Magic from 2 strongest enemies.
Third trait is faerie fire on red matches. Seems pretty good.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bandire posted:

Go to http://www.taransworld.com/Spoilers/ for upcoming troop Spoilers.

Suna
Mana Color: Green, Purple, Red
Steal [Magic +3] Life from the 2 weakest enemies, then steal 8 Magic from 2 strongest enemies.
Third trait is faerie fire on red matches. Seems pretty good.

Wow, so is that guild, gem, and VIP keys, or event keys also?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
To our new players: don’t worry about donating gold. It is far more useful to you than it is to the rest of the guild. Focus on getting your kingdoms unlocked and leveled instead. The best thing you can do for the guild on a weekly basis is earn guild seals. Those can be spent on special chests, and the troops in those chests get better as the guild accumulates more seals. 10k, 20k, and 40k seals are breakpoints where the troops in those chests get much better. So if you can earn 500, 1000, or 1500 seals each week you can help your guild a lot in reaching those goals.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Grundulum posted:

To our new players: don’t worry about donating gold. It is far more useful to you than it is to the rest of the guild. Focus on getting your kingdoms unlocked and leveled instead. The best thing you can do for the guild on a weekly basis is earn guild seals. Those can be spent on special chests, and the troops in those chests get better as the guild accumulates more seals. 10k, 20k, and 40k seals are breakpoints where the troops in those chests get much better. So if you can earn 500, 1000, or 1500 seals each week you can help your guild a lot in reaching those goals.

I've got about 15k gold - should I be spending it on like, chests?

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Also a new player looking for a home. Invite code is ROID666_CFRY

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

tithin posted:

I've got about 15k gold - should I be spending it on like, chests?

Unlock and level up your kingdoms. You get attribute point bonuses and better tributes that happen more often.

Depends fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 4, 2018

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Can I get a goon guild invite? Theswarms_qxjv

hapsurfer
Mar 6, 2005
I would also appreciate an invite to an available goon guild. My invite code is HAPLO_6.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Whoa. That’s a big influx of new players. Gem Boiz is full, but I hope Gem Blossums still has room for everyone. Where did you all discover the game? I assumed that the player base was pretty stagnant, but clearly I was wrong!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'd known about it for a bit, and had a hankering for a connect 3 game so decided to look it out. not sure it's entirely my thing, far too many currencies to keep track of. Worst case scenario I go back to the original puzzle quest.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
All newbies are invited. A few were already in another guid, so the invite didn't go through.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I'd like to take a moment to explain exactly how kingdom levels/tribute/etc. work and why new players should put their gold there, since it's never really adequately explained in-game and it was never really explained in any one place online very well.

When you buy a new kingdom for 5k, unlocking quests and such for it, you buy it at kingdom level 1 and it comes with a small base +gold income per hour. The real source of gold (and some extra glory and souls) though is kingdom tributes, and it's tied directly to kingdom level.

Every time you load up the game and grab your passive income from the gold coins on the map, you roll every kingdom's tribute chance, and each kingdom's tribute chance is determined by it's kingdom level, starting at 1% at kingdom level 1 and maxing out at 10% for kingdom level 10. Given that there's ~34 kingdoms right now, once you unlock all of them and level them a bit you're going to be getting several tributes every time you roll for tributes. Kingdom level gets significantly more expensive after level 5, so getting all your kingdoms to 5 after you unlock them will pay back the gold invested very efficiently.

Note that you can grab your passive income and roll for tribute every hour, and in a mobile gaming addictive kind of way that means you make significantly more gold if you open the game as many times as possible over the course of the day. It's addictive bullshit designed to get you to think about the game as much as possible and keep you playing. :shrug:

The other important thing kingdom power does though is grants ALL troops a permanent stat boost every time you get a kingdom to level 10. You can see which stat each kingdom increases on the "Kingdom Level" tab. It can be one of Attack, Armor, Health, and Magic, and Magic is by FAR the most powerful of the stats and you should get the kingdoms that boost magic to 10 ASAP to significantly increase your troops' power.

Since the magic stat itself isn't explained in-game very well: any time you see a purple number on a troops' spell, every point of magic increases that number by one. Getting a passive +5 on all those spells from having all 5 magic kingdoms maxed is a huge deal.

There's also another kingdom stat called "Kingdom Power" but increasing that is a much longer term project, and working on it will eventually increase your tribute chance, quantity of stuff in tribute, and passive income, but anything beyond Kingdom Power level 2 is fairly difficult to get as a new player. Worry about it after you buy Kingdom levels.

From my experience the best way to get gold is PvP, and since the game does a fairly good job of finding appropriately challenging teams to fight you can start pvping very soon. The Dragon armor that costs 500 gems on the hero screen is also super important to making money, make that the first thing you buy with gems.

I've only been playing for ~2 months so feel free to correct me if I messed anything up here.

Edit: Forgot to mention each kingdom costs ~120,000 gold to get to level 10, so it's takes a fairly long time to level every single kingdom to 10. You can probably start contributing some gold to guild tasks once you get a few of the magic kingdoms to 10 and all the others to at least 5.

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 4, 2018

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm also looking for an invite if there's still room in a guild. Invite code is FLARE_DJCQ

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Cheers I'm in.

The sheer amount of troops in the game is quite overwhelming!

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Did they start advertising this game again or something? It's been a really long time since we had this many new players start up at the same time.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Whoa. That’s a big influx of new players. Gem Boiz is full, but I hope Gem Blossums still has room for everyone. Where did you all discover the game? I assumed that the player base was pretty stagnant, but clearly I was wrong!

Thanks for the invite! I sometimes follow the android gaming thread, saw that this was technically puzzle quest 2 and remembered enjoying the first one a good bit and jumped on that way. Had no idea it existed before that.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yep same. Someone posted a link in that thread to this one and I picked up the game yesterday.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
To the person who said that the number of currencies was overwhelming, I agree. Fortunately, you can ignore some of them for the moment. Gold, souls, and traitstones are the most important things for new players to worry about. Keys, too, but it’s a lot more obvious what to do with those.

(1) Gold: unlock kingdoms. Upgrade their level as described above. Get those sweet sweet stat bonuses. Eventually start contributing to guild tasks.

(2) Souls: do you feel like your troops are being left behind? That enemy stats are higher than you can deal with? Upgrade your troops’ levels from the Troops menu using souls. Focus on the troops you use the most, but try to keep a thousand or so souls in the bank so you can quickly level up a new troop if you get one.

(3) Traitstones: every troop has three traits that you unlock using traitstones of the appropriate color. The higher the base rarity, the more expensive the traits. This is likely to bottleneck you far longer than souls or gold.

(4) Keys: use them to open chests and get new troops. As new players, you should be opening keys as you get them. The exception to this is event keys. Those only give troops from a certain kingdom, so they are extremely useful for targeting specific troops. I’d recommend asking at the start of each week whether it’s a good week to spend event keys.

Final thought: save your gems till you get 500. Buy either the Dragon Armor or Celestial Armor. The former gives you a slightly larger bonus to earned gold, and the latter gives you a slightly larger bonus to earned souls. The advice for gems used to be that you should buy a 50-pack of gem keys each time you earned 500 gems (so you would slowly build up a supply of gems for emergency purchases). Now, though, there are a lot more places to spend gems. I’m less sure what to recommend.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Grundulum posted:

Thanks for posting this. I really thought I had to co tribute gold to tasks to help so I’ve been plunking away even 5k or less when I have unspent gold.

I will maybe focus on kingdoms and get those done so then I can have more to donate later.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What should a newbie be spending glory on? I got 500 now so I can get the seadog but I have no idea if it is good or not

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
If you are able to, always buy a copy of the event troop each week. It’s one of the only ways in the game to guarantee a specific troop. The troop isn’t always useful, but having it at all will make it easier to level up your kingdoms. Additionally, you get gold, keys, and Arcane traitstones. It’s a fabulous deal, since glory is pretty easy to come by.

Edit: as an end-game player, I buy lots of copies of the glory troop each week. The gold goes directly into guild tasks, and the Arcane traitstones have saved me many dozens of hours of farming in Explore mode.

Similar reasoning applies to the raid/Invasion troop on weeks like this one. You can get one copy guaranteed for the 100 gems it takes to buy tier 2. I’m a lot iffier on this, since 100 gems is a lot for new players.

hapsurfer
Mar 6, 2005
I joined the game almost a year ago, but the guild I originally joined has died down to only 4 or 5 active guild members. I saw some other people moving to join the guild and I figured now is a good time to migrate over. I received the guild invitation but when I go to join the guild, I receive the error message, "Join by Invite Only." Maybe it needs to be resent? My invite code is HAPLO_6.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I know we are pretty far into this week’s Raid, but I didn’t see my team mentioned before:

Lantern Banner (+2 yellow, +1 red, -1 green)
Hero with Mang
Kendrala Bloodjewel
Scurvy Seadog
Scylla

The bonestorms that Scylla summons make Mang extra useful—if I can keep my hero alive. Fairly early going so far (only had time to get to level 125), but no losses even when the AI gets more out of my bonestorms than I do.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Bandire posted:

Urskaya banner
Dragon Guard Mang
Scurvy Seadog
Skull beard
Event Troop

Going decently well with this. Dragon Guard has holy armor and a perk that starts him off with Barrier, so it's not too hard to keep him alive. Seadog feeds Skullbeard, who's an underrated exploder, and he makes everything else go.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Hopping back into this after a hiatus. If a guild has any spots left I'd love to help.

LBLITZER_6QKM

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How does monster level affect fights and stuff? I have been too cheap to scout the enemies during quests and it turns out my level 7 dudes are up again level 10 enemies and I haven’t found it too much harder than when it was 7 vs 6

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Xun posted:

How does monster level affect fights and stuff? I have been too cheap to scout the enemies during quests and it turns out my level 7 dudes are up again level 10 enemies and I haven’t found it too much harder than when it was 7 vs 6

Higher levels = bigger stats. Usually scouting isn't worth it unless you're in pvp and you want to know if the enemy team hard counters yours.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

So somewhere in the thread I saw that we should ask if each event is worth using event keys on or not, should I use any of them? I already found myself with Bonnie Rose from somewhere, which seems pretty solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

We want to use them tomorrow for the new mythic, right? Or is that the guild keys?