Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

weird Asian candy posted:

Stop yourself. There are plenty of good cops...also plenty of poo poo heads...but still plenty of good cops.

I gotta go with Kevin Smith because yeah the Bennett thing has some shades of gray and question where the DA was straight making stuff up trying to get Foster locked up.

People that type acab online are 100% of the time middle class white people that don't participate in any sort of activism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

weird Asian candy posted:

Stop yourself. There are plenty of good cops...also plenty of poo poo heads...but still plenty of good cops.

I gotta go with Kevin Smith because yeah the Bennett thing has some shades of gray and question where the DA was straight making stuff up trying to get Foster locked up.

And "good cops" participate in the blue wall of silence and never report abuses by their colleagues.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

And "good cops" participate in the blue wall of silence and never report abuses by their colleagues.

I don't really want to derail the thread with politics so this will be the last thing I say on it but it's dangerous to make sweeping general statements assuming they are absolutes because "always" and "never" aren't really things in the real world.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Abuses by colleagues are reported by police officers all the time, so I guess there are okay cops. Should happen a lot more obviously, and I'm gonna go for the cops anyways. The first incident is maybe a little unclear regarding why the cops picked up Bennett in particular, but living in Las Vegas myself I absolutely believe they slammed him against the wall and put their knee way too hard on his back.

The whole thing with the Super Bowl and those charges looks even worse; to me, it also seems like totally fabricated charges. Nothing about it makes sense and it was probably an abortive attempt to get the local sheriff reelected by pleasing their racist citizenry

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, an interesting surge in anti-cop voting but it wasn't quite enough! Santa Clara DA Kevin Smith Wins, 29-25.

Next up: Jeff Triplette vs. Chris Collinsworth!

Jeff Triplette
Jeff Triplette is a retired American football official in the National Football League (NFL) from the 1996 season through the 2017 season. He wore uniform number 42.

seiferguy posted:

I want to nominate Jeff Triplette, NFL ref. Not for one thing in particular but the fucker retired, and I think he was one of the worst refs of all time. It would be a shame he left without a chance to be a douche.

OK but so we have to specifically look at this year, since this is a DotY nomination:

seiferguy posted:

Here's arguably his worst calls:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/9497...49%2Fframe.html

https://twitter.com/SakSports/statu...49%2Fframe.html

Playoff game, blatant strip sack. He calls Mariota down both times.

Every ref misses a few calls, but it seems Triplette has a poor reputation.

Chris Collinsworth
Anthony Cris Collinsworth (born January 27, 1959) is a former professional American football player who was a wide receiver in the National Football League (NFL) for eight seasons, all with the Cincinnati Bengals, during the 1980s. He played college football for the University of Florida, and was recognized as an All-American. He is currently a television sportscaster for NBC, Showtime, and the NFL Network and winner of 15 Sports Emmy Awards. He is also the owner of Pro Football Focus, a sports statistic monitoring service.

Cris admiring the photo of Tom Brady he uses as his phone background, probably

bobjr posted:

It's just throwing names in now but I'd nominate Cris Collinsworth for really making it seem like he was biased while announcing the Super Bowl.

https://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf/2018/02/everyone_hates_cris_collinswor.html

quote:

Collinsworth had a tough time on the call from start to finish. In the first half, he chided the decision by Philadelphia Eagles head coach Doug Pederson to go for a score on a 4th-and-goal from the 1 yard line with the Eagles leading 15-12 and under a minute to go in the half. The Eagles converted for a score and went to the locker room leading by 10 points.

Collinsworth, who also seemed to be rooting for a New England Patriots win from the broadcast booth as time was winding down in the fourth quarter, was adamant that a clear touchdown by Zach Ertz which put the Eagles in position to win the game was a call that should be overturned. Ertz caught the pass and became a runner when he took two steps before lunging for the end zone and breaking the plane of the goal before the ball came out of his hands when he hit the ground.

See the play for yourself:

https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/960348733081755648

Collinsworth continued to insist over and over that Ertz did not make the catch while fans in their living rooms watched the replay of a clear touchdown several times. He was relentless in his claim. And he was dead wrong.

Every announcer misses a few calls, it it seems Collinsworth has a poor reputation.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the cops

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Collinsworth, the salt spewing from him during that game was loving awful. I'm sure there were plenty of other games where he made lovely calls too but that was extra noticeable.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

gently caress chris collinsworth

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Chris Collinsworth because Triplette's nomination sounded more like a lifetime douche achievement award nomination than one for Douchebag of the Year.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
*Zach Ertz makes a catch at the five yard line, runs upfield and breaks the plane with possession of the football*

"Ooh, ahh, yeah, gee, I just don't know there Al, ooh, yeesh, wow..."

Eat poo poo in hell forever, Cris Collinsworth.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Chris Collinsworth because Triplette's nomination sounded more like a lifetime douche achievement award nomination than one for Douchebag of the Year.
Yeah, if we're talking about things that happened this year, Collinsworth poorly hiding the fact that he had money on the Patriots feels like it's worse than Being a Bad Ref.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

very stable genius posted:

gently caress chris collinsworth

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Collinsworth because unlike Triplette, we have to endure at least another season of Sunday night games in which Collinsworth repeats his miserable performance from the Super Bowl by highlighting his Patriot or Steeler of the week on every play regardless of merit. At any rate, the refs actually got it right in the Super Bowl, unlike Cris.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Chris Collinsworth. Every announcer has some amount of Brady boner but he was pushing Simmsian territory.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Collinsworth

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Collinsworth(less)

His bullshit commentating during the Superbowl was pathetic, even after the Ertz catch he flat out said "Looks like the catch rules mean nothing anymore I guess".

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I might be alone in liking Collinsworth generally but he was so goddamn whiney in the Super Bowl and deserves to move on. Triplette just kind of sucks at his job, and that isn't inherently douchey.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

gently caress Anthony Cris Collinsworth and his patriot loving rear end.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Chris Collinsworth by a country mile. I used to not mind him but he has gotten Joe Buck levels of awful in recent years.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Chris Collingsworth I absolutely hate that raspy gently caress. He used to be okay but he's gotten extremely repetitive with his commentary and he misses things that are beyond obvious. A lot of the announcers do it but he's always officiating from the announcer's box in a way that I find irritating because what he thinks doesn't matter at all. His commentary in the Super Bowl was amazingly bad, honestly I was shocked they chose him for that and not Tony Romo.

I wasn't happy with those Triplette calls but he's gotten more right than he has wrong and at the end of the day if you blew the whistle early then you kind of have to stand by it, just like if you didn't blow it at all. Still an absolutely horrible forward progress call

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Chris Collinsworth, that Superbowl announcing was so bad. Obviously biased and wrong - sad!!

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I wish we could utilize Collinsworth's shittiness from earlier years but even within the voting's timeline he's pretty terrible.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

It's a pleasure to vote Cris Collinsworth

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Collinsworth

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In a unanimous decision, Cris Collinsworth wins, crushing Jeff Triplette 42-0.

Next up we have
That one dude from the goon fish bowl who took almost all 12 allotted hours to make the first of two back-to-back picks, then got a new clock for his second pick and timed out. vs. Jason Whitlock

OK so bear with me here.
That one dude from the goon fish bowl who took almost all 12 allotted hours to make the first of two back-to-back picks, then got a new clock for his second pick and timed out.

That one dude

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'd like to nominate That one dude from the goon fish bowl who took almost all 12 allotted hours to make the first of two back-to-back picks, then got a new clock for his second pick and timed out.

Or, possibly, me, for allowing that to happen

Last year, our own forums nerd and professional comedy writer Drunk Nerds ran a fantasy football league modeled after the Scott Fish Bowl. This format involves pooling something like 48 players together into one giant league. There was a "slow draft" style snake draft. Sometimes people took all their allotted time to draft, and one person kind of stopped bothering and timed out multiple times, which sucks. But one specific player did as described above: despite having two picks in a row, they took their entire clock, made their pick manually (that is, actually made a pick rather than autodrafting), and then didn't bother to make their next pick so the entire full time of the next pick went through until they timed out and autodrafted.

Douchebaggy!

Jason Whitlock
Jason Whitlock (born April 27, 1967) is a sports journalist. He co-hosts the daily sports TV show Speak For Yourself alongside Colin Cowherd on Fox Sports 1. Whitlock is a former sportswriter for ESPN and a former columnist at the Kansas City Star, AOL Sports and Foxsports.com, as well as a radio personality for WHB and KCSP sports stations in the Kansas City area.

douchebaggy smile, douchebaggy hat, douchebaggy man

Perennially a nominee for this contest, Whitlock is the token non-woke black guy of NFL punditry. His lovely takes help white people with the same lovely opinions claim that their bullshit can't be racist, because look, a black person shares them. Most prominently in the last couple years is Whitlock's asinine opinions about Colin Kaepernick, as presented admirably by GobiasIndustries:

Who is worse? I have no idea how this matchup could possibly turn out! It's suspenseful!

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

We should swap out Drunk Nerds for being a part of Football Absurdity.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think I made a very compelling case for Jason Whitlock with my initial nomination. The only reason I didn't nominate him for the HoF is I felt like that category was already 100% decided. gently caress Jason and gently caress his lovely stupid awful opinions.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I have no idea who he is but that one dude seems to have done something that sounds funny, douchey, and distinctive and I’d rather not think about Jason Whitlock ever again.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that one dude, as whitlock is a broken record who does what he does for money rather than pure malice like that one dude

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Jason Whitlock because jesus loving christ how can you be that blinded by stupidity

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Jason Whitlock and really anyone who chases right wing dipshit money.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Jason Whitlock because holy poo poo he is an enormous douche.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Jason Whitlock is a regular in this tournament for good reason.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Darth Brooks posted:

We should swap out Drunk Nerds for being a part of Football Absurdity.

Alas Drunk Nerds smartly pulled off this recent douchebaggery after the nomination window closed.

My vote is for Whitlock for continually making GBS threads on Kaepernick.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Whitlock sucks. I don’t care about some dumb goony goon.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Jason Whitlock is worse than an Uncle Tom. He actively works against black people's interests for a paycheck by the powers that be. He is a demagogue trying to add a sense of legitimacy to every entitled racist that watches football.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Whitlock

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Whitlock for sure. Massive douche that just can't stop douching his douche all over the place.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Jason Whitlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Whitlock x 1000

• Locked thread