Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArbitraryC posted:

Sometimes I can understand the love language thing but other times I really can't. Like to me, several of them blur together, the idea that gift giving is completely separate from acts of service just sort of confounds me. For example, your SO is busy as all hell this week so after work you swing by to do some chores and cook dinner for them, is that less of a gift than just hiring a maid or ordering takeout or something?

I can kinda get the posts where people are like "our love languages are different, i just wanna do x/y/z with him while all he cares about is getting some head" but generally those issues just seem like straightup lopsided commitment in general and it's not the "language" that's the problem.

Doing it yourself is an act of service

Paying someone else to do it is gift giving

Not really complicated :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Streak posted:

Doing it yourself is an act of service

Paying someone else to do it is gift giving

Not really complicated :shrug:

Why is the reception different tho. Like if I wanna be cynical I could put a dollar value on my time.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArbitraryC posted:

Why is the reception different tho. Like if I wanna be cynical I could put a dollar value on my time.

Don't ask me why words mean things

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

avshalemon posted:

i am a sex bell, my clitoris is made of brass and when i'm aroused it clinks musically against the rock-hard walls of my vag

hey babe this is me hamfistedly flicking ur clit

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Streak posted:

Don't ask me why words mean things

I guess I've just never been in a relationship so unhealthy that my SO would discount the time and effort I put into making their life better. It's like when you help a friend out and they treat you to dinner in return, normal people understand that your time and expertise are worth something and going out of your way to help them out is a "gift" in itself.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Hypothesis: Love language tests are scams set up by therapists in order to introduce conflict to relationships and create business.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The real answer is that nobody has just one 'love language' anyway, just like how the Myers-Briggs bullshit is meaningless because everyone expresses different levels of its personality traits depending on the situation they're in.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
I guess maybe you're the type of person who get's real upset their carpenter cousin won't spend a month crafting their kid a rocking horse for their birthday.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Haifisch posted:

The real answer is that nobody has just one 'love language' anyway, just like how the Myers-Briggs bullshit is meaningless because everyone expresses different levels of its personality traits depending on the situation they're in.

And likewise only gains traction because everyone wants a Hogwarts house to express their individuality and uniqueness rather than actually develop people skills.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And likewise only gains traction because everyone wants a Hogwarts house to express their individuality and uniqueness rather than actually develop people skills.

When I worked at Warner Bros it was super obvious that the Hogwarts hat you get to sit under (it's like 9 feet above you so nobody can steal it) was just a random number generator with 4 different recordings but actual adults I worked with genuinely took it seriously like the WB had somehow invented a brain scanner they weren't marketing for some reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cumshitter posted:

When I worked at Warner Bros it was super obvious that the Hogwarts hat you get to sit under (it's like 9 feet above you so nobody can steal it) was just a random number generator with 4 different recordings but actual adults I worked with genuinely took it seriously like the WB had somehow invented a brain scanner they weren't marketing for some reason.

You should see the goddamn racket that the wand shop is

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

cumshitter posted:

What happened when they sat under it a second time, and got a different reading? Assuming I understand how this works. I’m guessing you sit under a hat and it assigns you to a house or however that works in the books?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

What happened when they sat under it a second time, and got a different reading? Assuming I understand how this works. I’m guessing you sit under a hat and it assigns you to a house or however that works in the books?

There was a motion sensor in the hat or a weight sensor on the stool or something. The way it was intended to work was that tour groups or field trips would line up to use the exhibit, it was/is in a memorabilia museum, and then the next person gets on.

The coworkers who were really excited to use it didn't want to hear anything about that and would either be super proud of their designation or bummed out. Sitting under it a second time would have ruined it, and being assigned to a house you didn't want was part of the books and movies. To be honest, it was a lovely job with extremely high turnover so I don't blame them for a little escapism into movie magic. It was a job that tended to attract people who either loved tv/movies in general or wanted to work in entertainment.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

That's disappointing, I thought it would at least throw the slouchy kids into hufflepong

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

(33F) with (43M) bf for over two years and still no proposal. How much longer should I wait ?

quote:

My BF still shows no sign of proposal and I feel like I am getting old

I am a 33 yo female with a 43 yo bf --- both Asians, never been married, no kids, My bf’s family is very conservative. Hes the eldest and only boy and have 3 younger sisters in their late 30's and 40's and married.

Just a brief background of him. He’s every woman’s dream man. Fairly good looking, very successful, highly anal­­ytical, hardworking, businessman (his own business in real estate), responsible, goes to church every Sunday, very humble, soft spoken, no vice, doesn’t have sport, definitely not a cheater (I know bec my CIA skills is over the roof and haven’t caught him with lies), family man (puts his mom and sisters first), HE IS BORING but always makes up for it. And, he still lives with his Mom and Aunt in a house owned by his grandmother which belongs to their family business. (This isnt his own company)

We started dating and courted me from Nov 2015-March 2016 (4months) before we officially became a couple. Now, we are officially together for 2 years and 4 months. BOTH our previous relationships only lasted a year. And our relationship now is one for the books. It always fascinates us how we are able to last this long--going past thru that one year mark.

Starting 2016 he’s been on the lookout for a property he can build a house in. He says he wants to buy his own house because he doesn’t own the house they currently live in. Like I said earlier, house where he resides is owned by the company –their family business (technically belongs to the grandmother). He would always get my opinion regarding property listings and even use the tern “Our house” and ”Our Lot”. To cut the long story short, he purchased a house and lot inside the subdivision where my biological father resides because that was my first choice. This happened May 2018. . He would always ask for my ideas what I want for the house, etc . Basically, its as if he is telling me indirectly that this is where we will settle down so he wants to find out what I want for the house. We even talk about the way we would raise our future children together. Mind you, we have 2 imaginary children which already have their own names, personality, school, etc. (I know its weird but I think its cute we baby talk once in awhile bringing out the personality of our imaginary babies)

This makes me look forward into the possibility of him proposing but there are times when I would wonder whats taking him so long ? He is turning 44 in two months and people his age even have grandchildren already. All his friends are all happily married. It seems like he is not so worried about people around us getting hitched all in one year (2018) Three of my bestfriends where I was maid of honor and a bridesmaid twice. Two of his close friends where he will be best man this December.

I don’t want to look like I am desperate for a marriage because I get hurt thinking of this. If I were in my late 20’s I wouldn’t care so much but I am turning 34 in 9 months and my greatest dream is to have a family of my own. I don’t even want to ask when is he proposing because I feel like it’s a turn off.

I am so afraid of wasting time on him. He would drop hints about our future life together but not any hint of marriage itself or proposal.

TL;DR I have set a timeline within myself and I would give him until December this year to propose (that is 3 full years of dating, relationship proper , 2years 9 months) . He definitely doesn’t know about this . This is all an internal deadline I have set for myself. It hurts because I feel like there is a possibility that he wont propose but it hurts all the more to feel that I might be just wasting time with someone who is not willing to spend the rest of his life with me.

Right now, my plan is to relocate next year in order to make the moving on process easier. I just feel so sad about it , it feels like I am playing with fire. I know he loves me so much but my mind says not to get too emotional otherwise I will be on the the losing end and I never want that for myself. I don’t know what to do, and I want to hear advise from people who doesn’t know me and who has gone thru the same . I am in desperate need of your opinions!

TL;DR how much longer should I wait for a possibility of a proposal ? I don’t want my eggs to expire without making offsprings

LOL at the bolded parts. Surely she’s sat him down and had a serious discu-

quote:

I am so afraid to bring up the ‘proposal itself’ I don’t want to be labeled as someone running after marriage.

But something happened 2 months ago (April 2018) We were out of town for his company outing and I was at the table with his business partner and another friend and they were fishing for info if there are hints of him proposing and I said I am not so sure. His business partner then says ‘Nooo, I don’t think there is any. He’s too preoccupied with business and that’s all that matters’

This comment broke my heart into pieces. I can’t help but act cold in front of him . In fact, I didn’t want to open up to him what his friend told me , but I eventually gave in.

I said i just don’t want to waste my time with someone who can’t see me in the future. He was so shocked when he heard this and says he doesn’t understand why business partner would comment that way . He says he must have been joking. And I go ‘well it’s not really a good joke’ . I just kept crying and he suddenly says , you don’t know anything ..... the ring has been there since December (2017) . And that made me stop crying but didn’t say anything anymore after that.

Assuming that the ring is already there , how come I can’t sense that he really does want to propose to me ? This is so frustrating and it hurts

Well, the only option is to leave him for Karnak.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Yes, I am sure starting from scratch would be way easier than waiting a sensible length of time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The sorting hat actually uses advanced machine vision algorithms to sort people into different houses on the basis of race, just like how Walt Disney would have wanted it

Ignore that the attraction is not owned by Disney because that ruins the joke okay

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Bananaquiter posted:

Yes, I am sure starting from scratch would be way easier than waiting a sensible length of time.

Has she considered stopping her birth control without informing the BF? I hear thats a great way to earn a proposal from a boring, church goin dude.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
r/relationships: my CIA skills is over the roof and haven’t caught him with lies

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
So this morning is a pretty downer of a day, there’s a blatant “My boyfriend is a child molester in waiting” to give you an example. Let’s have something more fun

I [44 M] had a huge argument with my wife [37 F] in which she said I am acting completely heartless. Am I?

quote:

u/_needingperspective
I hope I can write this in a way that makes sense and isn't overly complicated.

Some necessary background information:

*I'm English, living in Europe. I only get a chance (due to work and money) to go back to the UK once each year - usually for five days in the summer, to see both of my parents (who live separately) along with my daughter from my previous relationship who lives in the UK.

Also necessary to know; my wife and I had two dogs, one of which died two months ago. We got a new dog a month ago as company for the surviving dog.

I am due to go to the UK in two weeks for my annual trip. I bought the ticket two weeks after our dog died, but a week before my wife decided to get a new dog.*

Last Night

While discussing when my daughter could come over and visit us during the summer, my wife asked me when I was going to UK (although we have discussed this when I booked the tickets). I told her and she told me that she can't believe that I am still planning on going because I know how hard it will be for her to manage with two dogs while I am away.

She has never mentioned this previously and when I asked why she had never said anything, she said that she hoped I would be clever enough to realise I had to cancel the trip but she realises I am not. She tells me it's my decision whether or not to cancel, that she won't tell me to cancel, but that any normal person would do rather than expecting their wife to cope with two dogs on her own for five days.

I tell her its my only chance to see my family (my parents are both in their 70s, I don't know how many more times I will get to do this), and that I've spent hundreds on plane tickets and travel in the UK that I can't cancel or change. I also say that I couldn't have know when I booked it that we would get a new dog.

She tells me that I am using the death of our dog as a point in the argument, that I am heartless, that she doesn't understand what kind of person could do that, etc. The argument is escalating in volume and - rather than continue - I just retreat to another room and we spend the evening not talking.

This morning, she is still not talking to me (although I've tried to initiate conversation); she has got ready for work and gone without saying a word and just ignored me. I sent her a message to explain that I only booked travel after the death of our dog, and before we got our new second dog, and that I would never try to use our dog as point in an argument. She essentially replied 'whatever'

Am I being heartless? Should I cancel my trip?

I feel like she is being selfish. I know it won't be easy to spend five days alone with two dogs to look after - our old dog needs special attention when out as he can get aggressive to other dogs, so she may need to walk the two dogs separately - but she will be on holiday from work (since she works at a school) and so won't have any set schedule.

I just need some perspective. I am totally in the doghouse (pun intended) and feeling like maybe I am in the wrong and indeed am the terrible person my wife seems to think I am...

TL/DR - Wife wants me to cancel my once yearly trip to see family as she thinks it is unfair for her to have to look after our two dogs alone (even though I booked the trip before we had the second dog).

Sorry, you shouldn’t see your Daughter this year because I’ve not heard of kennels, or the concept of buying a second dog if the first one doesn’t play well with other dogs.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Milotic posted:

So this morning is a pretty downer of a day, there’s a blatant “My boyfriend is a child molester in waiting” to give you an example. Let’s have something more fun

I [44 M] had a huge argument with my wife [37 F] in which she said I am acting completely heartless. Am I?

Sorry, you shouldn’t see your Daughter this year because I’ve not heard of kennels, or the concept of buying a second dog if the first one doesn’t play well with other dogs.

It’s not about the dog. I hope he updates when he finds out what utter insanity is lurking beneath the dog argument.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

are two dogs really that much harder to care for than one? i mean you feed them both at the same time, walk them together, it's basically the same amount of effort, and other than that they pretty much just take care of themselves right? five days isn't even long enough to think about having to give them a bath.

my aunt used to show dogs and she had uh...like...i think nineteen of them at the peak, when one had a litter of ten puppies? and that is a full time job, no question, but it's still possible for one person to do it. two is nothing.

wife sounds like she's got something else she's mad about. that or she's super immature

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Oh this one is fun

My [30M] husband [29M] tells scary stories to [3F]. Goes off to work and then I'm left with our daughter waking me up all night because she heard the wind.

quote:

u/FitToe
I'm 30F and husband is 29M

My husband has got this infatuation with scary stories. He loves horror movies, scary internet stories, books. You get the point. He is obsessed with the paranormal. He listens to podcasts about ghosts, big foot, wendigo, skin walkers. Stuff like that. We have been together for 9 years, married for 5, and have two children. Bruce is 5 months old, and Laura is 3 years old.

Some backstory to this. My husband and I bought some land that use to be a summercamp. It was shut down because it was moving to a different location. They put it up for sale, and my father bought us this as a wedding present. We built our house from the ground up with the money we saved. There's some old cabins way down the other end of the property. We've left them there because getting them demolished is more expensive than you would think, and we thought it would be a fun place for the kids to have when they're teenagers. Providing their not completely run down by then. My husband has made up this scary story himself that sounds like something out of those old Goosebump books. The short version is that the camp use to be haunted, and those cabins are where the monsters live. He's told Laura this story and other fake stories about the camp that use to be here.

He works at night at the Vet Clinic. Laura is left here scared some nights that the ghosts are walking around outside. She wakes me up in the middle of the night when he's just told her a scary story the day off. Normally she sleeps it off and she's fine the next day. When he tells her these stories, she's scared out of her mind until the next morning. Between Bruce crying in the middle of the night because he's hungry, and her when she's scared. I get not sleep at all. As I said, she's not scared 24/7, but when she is it's impossible to get her to remain calm.

We have gotten into so many arguments over this. I have told him to stop scaring Laura. How do I get my husband to stop doing it after I've asked him to stop it?

TL;DR: Husband makes up fake scary stories about how our property is haunted by ghosts. It scares our daughter, but he doesn't have to deal with it because he goes off to work.

You shouldn’t scare your 3 old. But to me the real spooky part of the story is having an entire holiday camp to yourselves. Jeez, you’ve got land coming out the wazoo over there.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pick posted:

That's disappointing, I thought it would at least throw the slouchy kids into hufflepong

Should have a 1% chance of screeching, “A MUGGLE! A MUGGLE! KILL THEM! KILL THEM!” just to spice it up a bit.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"PERDUE!"

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Runcible Cat posted:

Should have a 1% chance of screeching, “A MUGGLE! A MUGGLE! KILL THEM! KILL THEM!” just to spice it up a bit.

I actually realized I'm extremely Death Eater leaning when I learned that my wizard college cultural club decided to take down the house flags because they offended muggles.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

I don't have a link, but if it's the same one I am remembering the BF wasn't made about it. She dressed like a clown for years until one day she asked his opinion on her style and he said something like "I don't care for it, but you do you" and she got mad that he doesn't support her 100%.

A few pages late but I had to dig it up again because I'm the one who originally found this gem lol

My [22F] boyfriend [23M] hates my clothes.

quote:

Together for 3 years. So when I first met my boyfriend, I wasn't really into fashion and I generally just wore jeans, T-shirts, sweaters (not that they looked bad, but they weren't really "me.") I started reading the FFA sub (used throwaway bc he knows my real username) several years ago and got way more into fashion.

Now this means that physically, I look really different than I did when I met my bf. My hair used to natural and collarbone length, now it's very short (pixie I guess)? My body doesn't look any different but I definitely dress it differently. I like to wear colorful bow-ties with suspenders (I call it "Six Flag Old Man style" haha) and I also have a fuzzy bucket hat that I sometimes pair with it. Generally if something is deliberately "unflattering" and stands out, I want to wear it. I know it looks weird, that's the point, but it's me and it's what I feel good in. My style is basically over-the-top colorful little old British man haha...i wear lots boxy menswear in vibrant colors with deliberately weird hats and accessories and Dad sneakers.

Anyway, my bf doesn't say anything about my clothes unless I ask him, but recently when we were going on a date night I wore this outfit that was like a vintage 90s print vest, bright trousers, and button down shirt with Dad sneakers (I posted a pic on another sub where I asked this question but I can't link here). I asked him what he thought of the outfit. And he said "Honestly, I'm not really a fan of it."

Now, I know I asked him, but if he loves me, how can he "not be a fan" of something that makes me happy? I probed a little deeper and asked him how he felt about my other clothes and he admitted that he loved me regardless of how I dressed/looked, but he preferred my hair longer and preferred my old way of dressing.

Obviously we didn't go to dinner that night. He still wanted to, but I just wanted to sit in bed. I didn't even want to look at him.

Now obviously he's allowed to have preferences- but I'm not a stranger, I'm his girlfriend. It feels borderline controlling to tell me he's "not a fan" of my style. Because what am I supposed to do? I'm obviously going to keep dressing this way so I have to think about in the back of my mind that he doesn't like it. awesome.

I don't even want to look at him now. He should have just told me he liked it. And more than that, he should have actually liked it because if he likes me, he should like anything that makes me happy.

I told my mom about the situation and she says that she agrees with him, she also isn't a fan of my style, that I can still dress this way if I want but that I can't expect everyone to like it. And that's fine, my mom doesn't have to like it. But a SO should definitely like it, or at least pretend to.

Am I overreacting?

TLDR: Boyfriend being controlling about my clothes, not sure if I am overreacting
God reading this is like nails on a chalkboard.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

If the weight sensor detects that you're over 180 then the sorting hat just says "FAT CAMP"

If you're that one strong-willed kid then you just sit there for the rest of the day demanding that the hat give you a different answer

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
the house ghost of john belushi gets the hat placed upon his head, the hat smirks to the camera and shouts "Animaal HOOOOOOOUUUUUUSEEEE". thats my harry fanfiction

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Anony Mouse posted:

A few pages late but I had to dig it up again because I'm the one who originally found this gem lol

My [22F] boyfriend [23M] hates my clothes.

God reading this is like nails on a chalkboard.

Lmao I forgot about the "not liking my style is borderline abusive" part of the post.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i once had sex with an ogre looking girl and it wasn't even because of flattering tinder photos

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Salty Josh posted:

I don't know. Sounds like they got the gravy train already.

Why would they then rob the train, derail it and then open a taxi service?

Well, they're stupid. Either they are stupid enough to steal from the gravy train, or they are stupid enough to fall for an obvious scam :shrug:

Also I googled sex bells, and it just seems like a bell you ring for sex, which was less interesting than I had hoped.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's like the single least interesting thing it could possibly have been. What a waste.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Darkrenown posted:

Well, they're stupid. Either they are stupid enough to steal from the gravy train, or they are stupid enough to fall for an obvious scam :shrug:

Also I googled sex bells, and it just seems like a bell you ring for sex, which was less interesting than I had hoped.

that seems incredibly posh. also i thought servants had rights now. like isn't that a whole thing they did.

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
i slap my partner on the rear end regularly to release pee from the balls

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
The only good use of the love language thing is to use it to tune into how your partner is already showing their love for you. The people who turn it into conflict fuel are morons.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
its time to introduce love riddles, you gotta figure that poo poo out fast

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Sagebrush posted:

are two dogs really that much harder to care for than one? i mean you feed them both at the same time, walk them together, it's basically the same amount of effort, and other than that they pretty much just take care of themselves right? five days isn't even long enough to think about having to give them a bath.

my aunt used to show dogs and she had uh...like...i think nineteen of them at the peak, when one had a litter of ten puppies? and that is a full time job, no question, but it's still possible for one person to do it. two is nothing.

wife sounds like she's got something else she's mad about. that or she's super immature

My girlfriend's home taking care of her mom's 2 dogs plus her own while she's on vacation and they just sit around and sleep or play most of the time. Because they're dogs. Someone has to be there to make sure they have food/water and don't destroy the house, but it's not like taking care of domesticated animals is some kind of complex, nuanced work. Maybe dude's wife is a womanchild and feels like she needs him there for emotional support, which is fine, but not to the point that he can't visit his fuckin daughter.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Literally every person posting seriously for advice on reddit is a manchild/womanchild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

"I want advice from grognards and children""