Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zesty posted:

Original work. Do not steal.

Rrrrrr.... bark bark!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I want Garak to tailor me a suit out of some old wallpaper print and bus seat covers

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shibawanko posted:

I want Garak to tailor me a suit out of some old wallpaper print and bus seat covers

I loved your appearance as every alien from TNG season 1

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I actually don't know the story about Axanar beyond Wikipedia's "Lawsuit" section of its article on it, which suggests a sort of legal Icarus situation.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ofaloaf posted:

I actually don't know the story about Axanar beyond Wikipedia's "Lawsuit" section of its article on it, which suggests a sort of legal Icarus situation.

- Fan tries to make fan film

- Fan gets lots of money from other fans

- Fan gets delusions of grandeur

- Fan gets slapped down by the actual IP holder

- Fan turns out to have turning the donations into his personal piggy bank anyway

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
- No dogs

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

- Fan tries to make fan film

- Fan gets lots of money from other fans

- Fan gets delusions of grandeur

- Fan gets slapped down by the actual IP holder

- Fan turns out to have turning the donations into his personal piggy bank anyway

“Fan” is putting it mildly. The guy wanted to be a real producer of official Star Trek so badly he convinced himself that CBS/Paramount was going to buy his idea for a new series.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kibayasu posted:

“Fan” is putting it mildly. The guy wanted to be a real producer of official Star Trek so badly he convinced himself that CBS/Paramount was going to buy his idea for a new series.

I seem to recall reading that he represented Axanar as being an officially-licensed Trek production, which is how he managed to get some actual professional actors for the "Prelude" thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ofaloaf posted:

which suggests a sort of legal Icarus situation.
Guy made a genuinely good mockumentary to promote the idea of some kind of Wolf-359 Gettysburg battle that was super impactful on Federation history

The Kickstarter money goes to fund a production studio and not for the feature length fanfilm he promised.

Dude lied to actors saying it was a legit production and continued to use their names as linked to the project after they bailed.

Dude decides to sell branded merchandise to get more money.

Paramount steps in to enforce copyright.

Dude has a screeching meltdown over how the real fans are being silenced and they dont know how to honor the IP, etc etc.

Paramount decides "gently caress it, no more fan films unless you make them for $20 in your garage gently caress this nebulous semipro poo poo"*

*Exceptions are made for productions like Star Trek Continues because they're cool dudes and Paramount doesnt want to kneecap them completely due to this douche.

Guy continues to melt down and act like he is the standard bearer of the house of Roddenberry and His Vision of trek is the One True Path.

gently caress that guy sideways

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You forgot the step where Axanar guy was constantly ratting out a bunch of other fan productions

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

a genuinely good mockumentary

That's the lovely part; it's actually pretty drat well done. I sometimes wonder what the guy could have done with the full-length fan film, if he'd gotten the opportunity to make it (by being less of a screeching douchenozzle).

Here, it's worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Something about this still image makes me wish I had a local Bob’s Big Boy.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

FilthyImp posted:

Guy made a genuinely good mockumentary to promote the idea of some kind of Wolf-359 Gettysburg battle that was super impactful on Federation history

The Kickstarter money goes to fund a production studio and not for the feature length fanfilm he promised.

Dude lied to actors saying it was a legit production and continued to use their names as linked to the project after they bailed.

Dude decides to sell branded merchandise to get more money.

Paramount steps in to enforce copyright.

Dude has a screeching meltdown over how the real fans are being silenced and they dont know how to honor the IP, etc etc.

Paramount decides "gently caress it, no more fan films unless you make them for $20 in your garage gently caress this nebulous semipro poo poo"*

*Exceptions are made for productions like Star Trek Continues because they're cool dudes and Paramount doesnt want to kneecap them completely due to this douche.

Guy continues to melt down and act like he is the standard bearer of the house of Roddenberry and His Vision of trek is the One True Path.

gently caress that guy sideways

the Axanar prick runs on pure spiteful pettiness. what a despicable rear end in a top hat.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

wake up nerds: the vulcans are the bad guys

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Low Desert Punk posted:

cardassians are the good guys. it is a fact.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tunicate posted:

You forgot the step where Axanar guy was constantly ratting out a bunch of other fan productions
and apparently approached Amazon and another distributor claiming that he had Paramount's OK to pitch the show to these groups

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Powered Descent posted:

That's the lovely part; it's actually pretty drat well done. I sometimes wonder what the guy could have done with the full-length fan film, if he'd gotten the opportunity to make it (by being less of a screeching douchenozzle).

Here, it's worth a watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

Eehhhh, it's well produced, but the writing is bad.

"We needed a big tech advantage over the Klingons so we built these more advanced ships that turned the tide of the war"
"Ah ha, but you see, we Klingons were working on an even more powerful ship that would secure victory!"
"Alas, the Klingons were driving on a planet named in a TOS episode as the site of an important battle, so of course that meant we must have been building an even more awesomer ship there (which would turn the tide of war once again!!), which of course could only mean it was ~~*~THE ENTERPRISE!!!~*~~"

It all sounds like a goddamn space RTS game.

Kibayasu posted:

Also of course he makes his project about Garth of Izar, who Kirk had looked up to in his academy days, puffs him out even more, and then casts himself as the "aw shucks" ultra-brilliant Captain Garth.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"We needed a big tech advantage over the Klingons so we built these more advanced ships that turned the tide of the war"
"Ah ha, but you see, we Klingons were working on an even more powerful ship that would secure victory!"
"Alas, the Klingons were driving on a planet named in a TOS episode as the site of an important battle, so of course that meant we must have been building an even more awesomer ship there (which would turn the tide of war once again!!), which of course could only mean it was ~~*~THE ENTERPRISE!!!~*~~"

It all sounds like a goddamn space RTS game.

Also of course he makes his project about Garth of Izar, who Kirk had looked up to in his academy days, puffs him out even more, and then casts himself as the "aw shucks" ultra-brilliant Captain Garth.

It captured the tone of those History Channel war documentaries that reduce World War II to an RTS perfectly.

Didn't Garth of Izar go megalomaniac nuts and took over his insane asylum? He killed the second green lady we see in Star Trek!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh, now this is interesting. Doctor Who audio play producers, Big Finish, apparently have the Star Trek licence now.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1014435432875155456

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Low Desert Punk posted:

Ah but consider: Perhaps they do atrocities, but very quietly, and are thus both "good" and "cool," AND - here's the important part - operationally superior.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Whoa.

This is big news! For ST fans who don't wander into the Doctor Who thread, Big Finish does high quality, amazing work. They've produced more stories for DW then were on tv, with most of the original living actors returning. Great scripts music, and sfx. They've done the same for other big genre show too, like Blake's 7 and Dark Shadows.

A guy reading audiobooks of a spinoff series isn't an auspicious start it would seem, but BF started the same way with new series DW and eventually got full cast audiios with David Tennant and many other characters from New Who. Also their 1-3 Doctors stories started as one person audiobooks and morphed into full cast stories with 80 year old actors somehow sounding like they were 20, and some recasts of actors who had passed away. They got back Tom Baker who wouldn't come back for anything, and he's now done far more audio stories than he has tv!

Big Finish would be a great way for older TOS actors like Koenig, Nichols, and Takei to do more stories before they die. If they did TNG audios, there's no worry about Data looking too old either. Plus if you want spinoffs based on unused concepts or minor characters, BF is great for that. Want to get Captain Worf or Captain Sulu? They'd be all over that!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Audio drama would also have the TAS effect of "we can do astonishing SFX" - indeed it'd be even stronger.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

and apparently approached Amazon and another distributor claiming that he had Paramount's OK to pitch the show to these groups

Both Amazon and Netflix. Alec Peters claimed that Axanar was an officially licensed product.

Other douchebaggery:

- He used Kickstarter funds to pay off personal credit card bills and restaurant bills for himself, his then-girlfriend (who ran the merchandising) and Robert Meyer Burnett
- He approached an author who was under exclusive contract to Pocket Books to write Axanar books; when Dave Galanter informed Peters that such action would be a material breach of his contract, Peters' response was to suggest writing under a pseudonym
- Despite admitting fault in its settlement with CBS and Paramount, and agreeing to no longer crowdfund further ventures, Peters went to his email list and asked for donations to keep "the studio" going, even while he was actively moving it from Los Angeles to a warehouse in Atlanta

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Even "well-produced" is stretching it. Richard Hatch, in particular, is loving awful in that whole thing, yet he's front and center because Peters was so goddamn giddy about getting Chang's uniform in the prop auction from ten years ago.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, now this is interesting. Doctor Who audio play producers, Big Finish, apparently have the Star Trek licence now.

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1014435432875155456

Is this a novel series about the Voltron ship?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm like 99% done with this, and it's going to be made into a vinyl sticker. Send an e-mail to sendthemtopick@gmail.com if you want one, so I know how many to order :toot:.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
All right be honest. Who would get a tat of that?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is a vinyl sticker the kind you can put on a car?

I want to put drinking kanar with damar and gkar on a car

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

It can indeed go on a car! They're the more durable ones.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I want a van with that airbrushed on the hood. The side would be a mural of DS9, the wormhole, and the defiant. The wormhole disappears when the door is open. The back is morn at the bar

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Brawnfire posted:

I want a van with that airbrushed on the hood. The side would be a mural of DS9, the wormhole, and the defiant. The wormhole disappears when the door is open. The back is morn at the bar

Given the correlation between Trek fans and pedos, maybe not the best idea.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

poo poo, I didn't even get to use my Odo-as-trucknutz idea

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Timby posted:

Even "well-produced" is stretching it. Richard Hatch, in particular, is loving awful in that whole thing, yet he's front and center because Peters was so goddamn giddy about getting Chang's uniform in the prop auction from ten years ago.

Which is even worse, because as we saw with :bsg: , Hatch could act.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Pick posted:

It can indeed go on a car! They're the more durable ones.

This is going on my car gently caress gently caress gently caress

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Then you could go to a bar with a sticker on your car that says drinking kanar with damar and gkar.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cat Hatter posted:

Then you could go to a bar with a sticker on your car that says drinking kanar with damar and gkar.

Perfect username/post combo.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

Bring your guitar!

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

All right be honest. Who would get a tat of that?

I just finished watching someone stream the entirety of Yakuza 0, so there's an image.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

what's the worst klingon performance in star trek history?

ditto for vulcan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Low Desert Punk posted:

what's the worst klingon performance in star trek history?
Miles O'Brien

stealth edit:

Low Desert Punk posted:

ditto for vulcan
Michael Burnham