Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

AlphaDog posted:

Can someone sanity check a character for me and also answer a couple of questions that I'm kinda stuck on? I'm sleep deprived because of children.

This is for a one-shot adventure themed dungeon-crawl-as-reality-TV, level 8, UA allowed, "optimised but not broken".

Variant Human (Lore) Bard 6 (GOW) Warlock 2. Standard array. Theme: Doom Metal Bassist. Mechanical Goal: ranged damage + control.

St 10, Dx 14, Co 14, In 8, Wi 12, Ch 18.

Spells:
Eldritch Blast, Mage Hand, Vicious Mockery, Prestidigation, Dancing Lights,
Tasha's Laughter, Dissonant Whispers, Charm Person, Sleep, Unseen Servant, Thunderwave
Hold Person, Invisibility, Crown of Madness
Hypnotic Pattern, Dispel Magic.

Invocations: Repelling Blast, Agonising Blast.

Skills: Performance, Persuasion, Deception, Sleight Of Hand, Stealth, Acrobatics.

---

What feat do I take with VH, and what do I do with my 2 spells from Magical Secrets?

e: Also I get 1 uncommon magic item. What should I do with that? The obvious choice is an instrument (Mac-Fuirmidh cittern Precision Bass). but have I missed something better?

Slippers of Spider Climb can be fun when you get to pick "Any uncommon item I want". I'm sure there are more practical picks, but for a Bard that would allow you to dance/power slide on the ceiling.

Maybe flavor a broom of flying as a fantasy mike stand?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Warcaster/Resilient Constitution could be good options. I mean think of it, what if the leader of the band comes over to you with a live rat and shoves it into your face expecting you to chomp down? Can't be spewing while you're on stage.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002
Just stumbled into a Belt of Fire Giant Strength (STR:25) with my Eldritch Knight. With that and my Sun Blade, I am now +13 to hit with 1d8/1d10 +9. I'm just giddy at the thought of my human packed with the strength of a Fire Giant. The straight ability score of +7 (+10 athletics) and actualy base rules of 5E I'm figuring don't really allow for you to just Superman stuff and throw people across the room, although I know some giants have had special abilities that can do those things of things. Anyone have some fun things they've done with ridiculous amounts of strength? Maybe I could find those Giant abilities and see if my DM would let me use one for an action.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Im considering at this point to remove a lot of randomness from enemy damage and just have it be a flat number +/- a die roll.
The flat number being at or under either a % of average party HP or a % of the second highest party HP, and the die roll would depend on creature role.

5e is too swingy against the players.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jul 3, 2018

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
That seems like a lot of math to keep track of, I just use the average damage for most enemies.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Toebone posted:

That seems like a lot of math to keep track of, I just use the average damage for most enemies.

Yeah, when I ran for 7 people I did this and it made things better

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Im considering at this point to remove a lot of randomness from enemy damage and just have it be a flat number +/- a die roll.
The flat number being at or under either a % of average party HP or a % of the second highest party HP, and the die roll would depend on creature role.

5e is too swingy against the players.

5e literally posts the static damage that everything does if you don't want to roll. You don't need to make up another number.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Roll 1d12. Take the monster's attack's average damage, then make the damage that many d6s (if the d12 roll is even) or d8s (if the d12 roll is odd) unless the number of d6s (d8s) exceeds the average proficiency modifier of the party, and if it does then reduce it until it doesn't and change from d6s to d8s or vice versa. If the number of d6s (d8s) would be less than one, it is one. Roll those d6s (d8s), and add them. If the indicated damage is more than twice the original average damage, then the damage done is the original average damage +1d6 if the indicated damage is odd or 1d8 if the indicated damage roll is even. If the indicated damage is less than the minimum original minimum damage, then the damage done is the original average damage -1d6 if the original average damage is odd or 1d4 if the original average damage is even. If either of those could put the indicated damage more than one standard deviation away from the original average damage, reduce the die size one step ( For a d6, 1d5, then 1d4, 1d3, 1d2, 1d1. For a d8, 1d7, then 1d6 and so on) and re-roll until it couldn't. If, when you've arrived at your final formula (average damage +/- 1dx), the result is always within 1d8 of the average damage, simply use the average damage instead to avoid being pointlessly fiddly for a really unimportant difference in results.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jul 3, 2018

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Take the average damage and then roll a Fate die and add that in. Then a 2d6 hit will do 6,7,or 8 damage and your players will never know the difference since you're still rolling a die

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yo anyone got any resources for lore on Warlock Great Old One patrons? 'Cause I been playing Cultist Simulator and I think it's about time to read too many books and go insane.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Grab a Lovecraft compilation and go to town

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Hellboy/BPRD comics are also good if you don't wanna go straight to the source and read books where cats named N***erman are a thing.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Check out Silent Legions, which has generators for Outer Gods and all their assorted accouterments.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

DKWildz posted:

Just stumbled into a Belt of Fire Giant Strength (STR:25) with my Eldritch Knight. With that and my Sun Blade, I am now +13 to hit with 1d8/1d10 +9. I'm just giddy at the thought of my human packed with the strength of a Fire Giant. The straight ability score of +7 (+10 athletics) and actualy base rules of 5E I'm figuring don't really allow for you to just Superman stuff and throw people across the room, although I know some giants have had special abilities that can do those things of things. Anyone have some fun things they've done with ridiculous amounts of strength? Maybe I could find those Giant abilities and see if my DM would let me use one for an action.

Chucking boulders or throwing ballista are always fun. Anytime you can throw something do it, essentially. You're mobile siege equipment if you want to be

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Well I meant more official sources but those are pretty good ideas! Shouldn't lock myself down to D&D fluff because most of those don't do cosmic horror type critters well. I don't like the examples given in the section in the warlock pages in the PHB anyway because the ones they give are rarely strange alien beings that can't be understood but are usually just like "kind of obscure evil god". I kinda miss the Star pact stuff from 4e where a lot of them were just like, weird celestial bodies and poo poo.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Glagha posted:

Well I meant more official sources but those are pretty good ideas! Shouldn't lock myself down to D&D fluff because most of those don't do cosmic horror type critters well. I don't like the examples given in the section in the warlock pages in the PHB anyway because the ones they give are rarely strange alien beings that can't be understood but are usually just like "kind of obscure evil god". I kinda miss the Star pact stuff from 4e where a lot of them were just like, weird celestial bodies and poo poo.

If you want to get real wacky you could check out Starfinder's setting material, they got some pretty cooky cosmic stuff like fire elementals living in stars and whatnot. Also, Spelljammer?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Glagha posted:

If you're running a game, or your GM is okay with it, maybe use those actual 4th ed patrons for your game? If you are looking to outside sources, then "Other edition of DnD" would still be slightly closer than something entirely unrelated, if you wanted a sales pitch spin for it.

I wasn't joking earlier when I mentioned making your archfey patron "That one guy who sells magical cookies". Some friends let me get away with that because gently caress it, why not? Though that particular game didn't last long enough for much to come of it, star pact examples would be much more dignified draw.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
I mean if we wanna be real with it Tinker Bell is an Archfey Patron.

Grants her followers powers and protection.

Is vain and capricious.

Turns on her followers at least once.

Can be brought back to life by simple belief.

Edit: I would buy a book of Petty Patrons for ambitious fairies, deposed demon lords, and lil' Old Ones.

Razorwired fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 3, 2018

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Ok so instead of zapp brannagin I was thinking of rolling up an old man. A successful retired innkeeper whose children have taken over the business. He's grown bored and decided to head out on an adventure like all the folk who have wandered into his tavern over the years.
I just like the idea of grizzled old man with no tragedy in his backstory. Just preconceived notions of adventuring and making so much gold and helping people.
He just knows tons of stories from all his years running the tavern. Aka bard
His history skill to something like "I've heard of this before"
Maybe he spent the last few years of retirement just learning to play instruments in the common room to not have to pay someone to do it. To help the family business.
Going to have him as variant human knowing common, elvish, dwarvish, gnomish, and orcish via anthropologist background and the prodigy feat. Any other flavor ideas for old man bard?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Glagha posted:

Yo anyone got any resources for lore on Warlock Great Old One patrons? 'Cause I been playing Cultist Simulator and I think it's about time to read too many books and go insane.

There isn’t really much lore about what the great old ones are, since d&d’s lovecraft influences in the early days were used in less powerful stuff like Aboleths. I remember an old aside that the creatures weren’t beyond the stars, they were the stars. I’d say just make it up; pick a motif (Lovecraft liked Fish and Geometry, Bloodborne uses Eyes) and let it pop up in strange places, like eye sockets. This is pretty player facing so go wild and let the gm sort it out.

RC Cola posted:

Ok so instead of zapp brannagin I was thinking of rolling up an old man. A successful retired innkeeper whose children have taken over the business. He's grown bored and decided to head out on an adventure like all the folk who have wandered into his tavern over the years.
I just like the idea of grizzled old man with no tragedy in his backstory. Just preconceived notions of adventuring and making so much gold and helping people.
Maybe he spent the last few years of retirement just learning to play instruments in the common room to not have to pay someone to do it. To help the family business.
Going to have him as variant human knowing common, elvish, dwarvish, gnomish, and orcish via anthropologist background and the prodigy feat. Any other flavor ideas for old man bard?

This guy’s pretty good, the other alternatives are washed-up rocker or crotchety old guy but having your guy not be a pain for other players to handle out of the gate is a good idea. Let everything else develop naturally, they’re about to enter the most important part of their life so let them grow in play.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

mastershakeman posted:

Chucking boulders or throwing ballista are always fun. Anytime you can throw something do it, essentially. You're mobile siege equipment if you want to be

And with the jump rules, you probably leap like 9 feet high or something. That's cool to do.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

RC Cola posted:

Something to keep in mind is that RAW you don't actually need an instrument to be a bard. Like any spellcaster you can just use a spell component pouch as a spell focus, with all your things that require "performances" being a drinking song, a well told anecdote, or even just polishing a glass while nodding and saying "mmhmm".

Of you go this route you can ask your GM to let you swap out your instrument proficiencies for say brewing or cooking or a couple of bonus languages. Also your component pouch is your old lost property box.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

RC Cola posted:

Can confirm, being the party dad owns with the right group.

Sometimes when another player uses your bardic inspiration die, narrate a little flashback where you sat down with them and gave them some fatherly, down-to-earth advice. Sometimes when you cast Vicious Mockery or Hideous Laughter on a mook, make a terrible dad pun; when you cast it on a big bad, just lock eyes and then shake your head in silent dissapointment. Don't impress people with big speeches or clever rhetoric, just be honest and earnest and too old for that typical bullshit.Take proficiency in at least one kind of artisan's tools, because everyone needs a hobby. If you get high enough level for a Hero's Feast, be sure to conjure a barbecue and a cooler full of oldies.

Edit: When another player screws up, tell them that you know that they'll do better next time. Don't make it clear whether you're talking in character or not.

OutsideAngel fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jul 4, 2018

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Take Expertise: Athletics due to lugging kegs up from the basement all these years. Yell "You're outta here, bro!" Whenever you Grapple someone.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm currently having the age old dilemma of picking a character option that is more optimal and an option that is more rad. Why must life be so cruel.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Razorwired posted:

Take Expertise: Athletics due to lugging kegs up from the basement all these years. Yell "You're outta here, bro!" Whenever you Grapple someone.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Glagha posted:

I'm currently having the age old dilemma of picking a character option that is more optimal and an option that is more rad. Why must life be so cruel.

Always go for the more rad. Basically every DM I know scales encounters to match player power levels, so the power option usually doesn't do much but screw over your monks and archers etc.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Glagha posted:

It is not life's fault here.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Forever_Peace posted:

Always go for the more rad. Basically every DM I know scales encounters to match player power levels, so the power option usually doesn't do much but screw over your monks and archers etc.

You say that, but just yesterday I had the DM sprang on me "btw, I use flanking rules" as the sole melee character of the party was surrounded by goblins. We made it, but next fight was a TPK because low level modules are cancer and only made worse when it just "makes sense" for the enemies to get "surprise rounds" due to being prepared for intruders.

ED: By the way, I loathe people that, upon becoming aware of the frailty of their characters, decide the best way to play out combat is to stand back as far away as possible, make no moves that would leave them exposed to attacks even if it means not attacking themselves, and run away upon things going sideways only to come back 2 rounds later between being shamed by the other players OOC and realizing that the rest of the party is still fighting and very much not dead yet.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 4, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

You say that, but just yesterday I had the DM sprang on me "btw, I use flanking rules" as the sole melee character of the party was surrounded by goblins. We made it, but next fight was a TPK because low level modules are cancer and only made worse when it just "makes sense" for the enemies to get "surprise rounds" due to being prepared for intruders.

Congratulations on having a bad dm

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

My experience is that all DMs are bad, but some are worse than others.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

ED: By the way, I loathe people that, upon becoming aware of the frailty of their characters, decide the best way to play out combat is to stand back as far away as possible, make no moves that would leave them exposed to attacks even if it means not attacking themselves, and run away upon things going sideways only to come back 2 rounds later between being shamed by the other players OOC and realizing that the rest of the party is still fighting and very much not dead yet.
Well I mean they're really just responding to the game and GM here.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Conspiratiorist posted:

No wonder you're so bitter.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Wrestlepig posted:

There isn’t really much lore about what the great old ones are, since d&d’s lovecraft influences in the early days were used in less powerful stuff like Aboleths. I remember an old aside that the creatures weren’t beyond the stars, they were the stars. I’d say just make it up; pick a motif (Lovecraft liked Fish and Geometry, Bloodborne uses Eyes) and let it pop up in strange places, like eye sockets. This is pretty player facing so go wild and let the gm sort it out.

The Elder Evils book may be a good resource for GOO ideas. One of them, Atropus, is literally a dead god in the form of a planetoid.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Conspiratiorist posted:

your experiences have a common denominator :twisted:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

your experiences have a common denominator :twisted:

Kindly gently caress off.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Conspiratiorist posted:

Kindly gently caress off.

Why are you booing him? He's right.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Are flanking rules not normal for 5e? We've been playing with flanking advantage.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

RC Cola posted:

Seems like an interesting reversal of the "retired adventurer opens an inn" cliche. Instead he's a retired innkeeper becoming an adventurer.

You could even go the route of the double twist; the retired adventurer who opened an inn, and years later decides to get back on the wagon. Complete with ranting how kids these days have it too easy, and back in your day bards only got six spell levels and they liked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Ignite Memories posted:

Are flanking rules not normal for 5e? We've been playing with flanking advantage.

It’s an optional rule in the DM book. I think it balances better without.