Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

da gently caress is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1011379466772230144

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

da gently caress is this

Your former border force leader

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

Why "offending"? Isn't being convicted of a violent crime just straight up offending?

you are an idiot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Recoome posted:

you are an idiot

What were you quoting?

e: Meanwhile, this is your incredible contribution to this thread's discussion of politics

Recoome posted:

Shut up idiot

Recoome posted:

*Toilet flushes*

Recoome posted:

Cue laugh track, zoom in on JBP's face, fade out to "Curb Your Enthusiasm" jingle

Recoome posted:

hope is the first step to disappointment

Recoome posted:

Throw incels and the MRA/incel apologists into the gulag

Recoome posted:

Literally anything which is likely to lead to disinhibition or failure to inhibit impulsive behaviour is likely to cause an increased risk of "offending".

Recoome posted:

you are an idiot

You are clearly just a bully, I don't know why I bothered.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Well, I mean I'm glad we're off the SHY-Victim-Blaming-Whataboutism bullshit train for a while at least.

In actual political news, I for one am glad WA Labor may actually be able to fund healthcare next year*

*except this is likely just another structural deficit being built into the federal budget in order to gently caress Labor over and get back into govt in under 4 years, but this time with way more fascism.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

JBP posted:

Accelerative.
I would like to know why, despite being directly in the crossfire of it.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Enormously right-wing press, extremely rich in coal, a populace intrinsically stubborn when it comes to change (moreso than other Western countries)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

:10bux:. Gotta extract all that coal and iron.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

freebooter posted:

Enormously right-wing press
Murdoch?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

70% by circulation, considering every state apart from Victoria and NSW only has a single Murdoch tabloid (plus the national, climate-denying Murdoch broadsheet). Being non-Murdoch doesn't also mean you're not a weird right-wing rag i.e. the West Australian.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Plus the national broadcaster is encouraged to strive for balance and so gives a lot of airtime to one particular right-wing think-tank (that itself has an incestuous relationship with both the conservative Coalition and the Murdoch press).

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Plus the national broadcaster is encouraged to strive for balance and so gives a lot of airtime to one particular right-wing think-tank (that itself has an incestuous relationship with both the conservative Coalition and the Murdoch press).

Can they find no one else to present right wing views other than those loving bottom feeders at the IPA?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So Australia is basically less ready than even the US to surviving climate change this century?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Can they find no one else to present right wing views other than those loving bottom feeders at the IPA?

Sure, there Tom Switzer who is only a former IPA guy and Jackie's Owner who has his own think-tank.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Grouchio posted:

So Australia is basically less ready than even the US to surviving climate change this century?

I suppose we'd have worse bushfires, water shortages and be less equipped to being overwhelmed by climate change refugees from SE Asia, India and Bangladesh, but on pretty much every other measure of society's ongoing decline I'd much rather ride out my lifetime and have my kids in Australia, not the US.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Grouchio posted:

The govt departments have plenty of information and risk analysis on surviving climate change. Companies all have contingency plans and forecasts. Researchers and unis have volumes and volumes of data.

You just don't hear much from people who get air time.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

I remember reading from some (ex?) ABC producer that booking shows like QandA and The Drum is very difficult because it is so difficult to find coherent right-wing voices, and they end up just going back to the IPA well because they can at least look presentable and speak well on camera.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Grouchio posted:

We are pursuing the strategy of ensuring our grandchildren are able to use coal to power their floating death fortresses.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

racing identity posted:

I remember reading from some (ex?) ABC producer that booking shows like QandA and The Drum is very difficult because it is so difficult to find coherent right-wing voices, and they end up just going back to the IPA well because they can at least look presentable and speak well on camera.

I'm imagining them contacting a right-wing think tank and just getting slavering, incoherent rambling from the other end of the phone and it warms my heart

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I'm imagining them contacting a right-wing think tank and just getting slavering, incoherent rambling from the other end of the phone and it warms my heart

Just image what the rest are like when Caleb Bond is the best young face the right wing can put on their views.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
MEET Queensland’s most entrepreneurial 11-year-old.

Dimitri Vogiatzis might be only in Year 6, but he’s already working three jobs to save for a house deposit.

The Mackay schoolboy wakes up before 6am every Wednesday to man the counter of his dad’s coffee van at the Great Whitsunday Farmers’ Market, before heading to school. He also sells mandarins grown on the family farm and hawks toy helicopters.

The Mackay Daily Mercury reports that while the budding entrepreneur declined to reveal exactly how much money is sitting in his savings account, he confirmed he has already set aside close to a quarter of the first homeowners’ grant he will use to help crack in to the property market.

And the budding homeowner has grand plans for his first investment – it won’t be a Queenslander doer-upper or run-of-the-mill kit home.

“It’s going to be a two-storey mansion,” he said.

Dimitri doesn’t only serve early coffee to the bleary-eyed but loves the business as well.

“I absolutely love mathematics,” he said. “To me it is a huge learning experience that I get to indulge in heaps and heaps of numbers and I understand them more every time I work here.”

His proud father Israel Vogiatzis said while his son had always been entrepreneurial, his talent for running a business and talking to people became obvious when he chose to run the coffee trailer all by himself at a busy event.

“He made some good money for himself that night.”

Working as a real estate agent for more years than Dimitri has been alive, Mackay’s Di Franettovich said while she had heard of 18 or 19 year olds entering the property market, this was something new.

“We have definitely never seen anyone that young though, that is for sure,” Ms Franettovich said.

“It is amazing; he would definitely have a shot if he keeps saving.”

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Born too early to colonise space
Born to late to walk in the moon

Born just in time to keep the property bubble growing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just think, if you work 3 jobs while studying from the age of 11, you too might one day be lucky enough to own a house

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Aren't there laws about kids that young working?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Employed at the age of 1, young Billy is saving for his house by selling his own feces.

A true blue entrepreneur

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

There are family business exemptions

You missed the parts about all of his business activities being 100% funded by his parents. It's effectively pocket money from the bank of mum&dad

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Kommando posted:

The govt departments have plenty of information and risk analysis on surviving climate change. Companies all have contingency plans and forecasts. Researchers and unis have volumes and volumes of data.

You just don't hear much from people who get air time.

A lot of local councils are also actively taking steps. It's a weird situation where the entirety of civil society knows it's coming but is incapable of actually electing a government that will do anything about it, because liberal democracy is a system doomed to failure.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i think there are exceptions for family businesses? i

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

man i knew having kids had benefits

http://www.business.vic.gov.au/hiring-and-managing-staff/employing-children/laws-and-act

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

norp posted:

There are family business exemptions

You missed the parts about all of his business activities being 100% funded by his parents. It's effectively pocket money from the bank of mum&dad

Hey kid, stop taking a job that should go to a poor, impoverished 60 year old. They can't afford those 15c bags otherwise.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I’ll provide a free plastic bag to any aggrieved boomer provided I get to suffocate them to death with it

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

da gently caress is this

/r/iamverysmart

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sure, there Tom Switzer who is only a former IPA guy and Jackie's Owner who has his own think-tank.
Don't forget Amanda Vanstone!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

I’ll provide a free plastic bag to any aggrieved boomer provided I get to suffocate them to death with it

:hmmyes:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What does the average suburban house in the southeast look like?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Grouchio posted:

How bad are climate change initiatives in Australia?

We're a hot burning country, the general consensus seems to be 'if we can't have nice weather, neither can the world'.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Breaking News:

quote:

EXCLUSIVE BRAZEN criminals are using public Facebook groups to create drug dealing hubs that connect sellers and users under the guise of fruit and vegetable marketplaces.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I need to buy lettuce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/lanesainty/sarah-hanson-young-david-leyonhjelm-defamation-letter

quote:

Greens senator Sarah Hanson-Young will sue senator David Leyonhjelm for defamation unless he apologises and pays her compensation for a series of comments he made about her in recent days.

Hanson-Young's lawyer, Rebekah Giles, sent a letter to the Liberal Democrat senator on Wednesday saying he had defamed Hanson-Young by suggesting, among other things, that she "is a slut, shagging men indiscriminately".
Giles, a partner with Kennedys law firm, told BuzzFeed News that if Leyonhjelm didn't acquiesce to the demands made in the concerns notice within a week, she will file a defamation lawsuit on Hanson-Young's behalf.

Along with an unreserved apology and paying compensation, the letter asks Leyonhjelm to stop making defamatory statements about Hanson-Young and to not destroy any emails, texts, call records and so on relating to the statements he made about her.

• Locked thread