Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

How does combining units from the same grand allegiance work. For example if I want to combine skeletons and nighthaunt, do they each need to be contained in something like a 40k detachment to avoid losing special rules?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Booyah- posted:

How does combining units from the same grand allegiance work. For example if I want to combine skeletons and nighthaunt, do they each need to be contained in something like a 40k detachment to avoid losing special rules?

If you're playing Grand Allegiance: Death, that's its own army with its own allegiance abilities. If you want to run Nighthaunts or Legion of Nagash instead, you'd have to check which units go in which army and what the ally rules are like.

edit: you can go play around with the warscroll builder and see what it'll let you do. https://www.warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
You can either be a Death army, a Nighthaunt army, or a Skeleton Army. Death army can just be whatever since they're all Death. In a 2000 point game you can have 400 points of allies, meaning in a Nighthaunt army you can add in 400 points of Skeletons but they don't get any special skeleton army rules beyond the unit warscrolls.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
I’m getting into Age of Sigmar after a long break from Warhammer Fantasy, how viable an army is just a shitload of skeletons? I was thinking of Arkhan the black and maybe some skeleton cavalry as well, do you still need periodic wizards to run skeleton blobs?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Arkhan doesn’t do a lot to buff skeletons, so you’ll want to throw in wight kings to give them a billion attacks. Skeletons are a generic core unit so you don’t need anything special to run them. You will want wizards though, the new spell rules are a pretty big change to the game.

Taking a shitload of skeletons and then some skeletons riding horses is a viable way to go, dunno how competitive it is or anything. With the new legion of nagash summoning rules you can potentially have a group of 40 skellies die and then summon a new one right back.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Arkhan doesn’t do a lot to buff skeletons, so you’ll want to throw in wight kings to give them a billion attacks. Skeletons are a generic core unit so you don’t need anything special to run them. You will want wizards though, the new spell rules are a pretty big change to the game.

Taking a shitload of skeletons and then some skeletons riding horses is a viable way to go, dunno how competitive it is or anything. With the new legion of nagash summoning rules you can potentially have a group of 40 skellies die and then summon a new one right back.

I was thinking of going Legions of Nagash, also toying with taking Nagash himself, but what point size is that viable at? I’m waiting for the new core book so I’m not sure how atmy building works quite yet.

Are Necromancers the only wizards for LoN?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Asphyxious posted:

I was thinking of going Legions of Nagash, also toying with taking Nagash himself, but what point size is that viable at? I’m waiting for the new core book so I’m not sure how atmy building works quite yet.

Are Necromancers the only wizards for LoN?

Nagash himself comes in at 800 points, so he’s a hefty investment. I think all of the big character models are wizards, and there are a few more spread out through the faction.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

But they look like trash though?

So do the GW ones so its perfect.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

But they look like trash though?

No, they look fine.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Chaos Dwarves have always looked bad.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Played 2.0 for the first time last night, kept it simple without using any endless spells etc. My Sylvaneth vs Daughters of Khaine at 1,500pts.

So my list wasn't optimal (heavy on hunters, Durthu and Ancient General) but man is the disparity between new books and old books glaring. By turn three thanks to his cult rules and buffs he was basically rerolling every wound, 1s to hit, and rerolling his 6++. I lost heavily on objectives but managed to wreck some poo poo with the scythe hunters at least. The game was smooth though, I like the 2.0 rules overall but a critical double turn was, once again, too much to overcome and I generally hate that it's still a possibility.

A 20-strong unit of Melusai with a Medusa and Cauldron supporting it is something there isn't an answer for in the Sylvaneth book, especially when they have 20 strong units of witch elves on the flanks and 15 bow Khinerai dropping in wiping out any backline support units.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Aren't the Endless spells supposed to be the new mechanic that mitigates the double turn problem? Playing without them and getting screwed by a double turn seems pretty normal.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

For_Great_Justice posted:

So do the GW ones so its perfect.

No GW Chaos Dwarves are actually cool and interesting. Those are boring.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

TKIY posted:

A 20-strong unit of Melusai with a Medusa and Cauldron supporting it is something there isn't an answer for in the Sylvaneth book, especially when they have 20 strong units of witch elves on the flanks and 15 bow Khinerai dropping in wiping out any backline support units.

That’s a decent DoK list for 1.5k but not that strong. Everything has a bad enough save that your Sylvaneth elite unit attacks should mostly just go straight to their 6+ wound save, and you should be able to focus on one-two units at a time to get heavy battleshock losses. Especially if you force them to fight in or near your wildwoods.

I could see it being a big problem though if you went very elite and didn’t have any summoning.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Danimo posted:

That’s a decent DoK list for 1.5k but not that strong. Everything has a bad enough save that your Sylvaneth elite unit attacks should mostly just go straight to their 6+ wound save, and you should be able to focus on one-two units at a time to get heavy battleshock losses. Especially if you force them to fight in or near your wildwoods.

I could see it being a big problem though if you went very elite and didn’t have any summoning.

With buffs he had his Bravery up to 9, and with 2 wounds per Melusai it's hard to chew through them. Didn't help that I rolled triple ones to wound with Durthu the turn he charged in on full health.

TLA with Gnarled Warrior/Briarsheath is still hilariously hard to kill at least!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Deleter posted:

Chaos Dwarves have always looked bad.

:agreed: The FW ones are ok, but the GW ones were always bad.

If anyone is interested, I've got a brand new Maggotkin Battletome for $30 and a new Maggotkin Warscroll cards for $20 shipped in the USA. I take PayPal - email me at portablezombie at gmail.dotcom.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
These new Stormcasts have me wanting to convert some lady paladins because I love how paladins look.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

mango sentinel posted:

You can either be a Death army, a Nighthaunt army, or a Skeleton Army. Death army can just be whatever since they're all Death. In a 2000 point game you can have 400 points of allies, meaning in a Nighthaunt army you can add in 400 points of Skeletons but they don't get any special skeleton army rules beyond the unit warscrolls.

Well Skeleton Army is another type of Death Army. And the Nighthaunts for the most part can join in the big death army too. The Legions of Nagash are just good armies.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

mango sentinel posted:

No GW Chaos Dwarves are actually cool and interesting. Those are boring.

If you like goofy as hell fine but quality wise gw chaos dwarves are old an silly looking. They just are, they're more hat than anything else. The alternate ones are fine with more detail an quality. There are other options than gw, they can't hurt you anymore.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

With buffs he had his Bravery up to 9, and with 2 wounds per Melusai it's hard to chew through them. Didn't help that I rolled triple ones to wound with Durthu the turn he charged in on full health.

TLA with Gnarled Warrior/Briarsheath is still hilariously hard to kill at least!

Kurnoth Hunters should be able to win a shootout with the snakes (granted I don't know if there is a huge points difference between them). The only trick there is what prayers they have on their cauldron, as the 6s to hit = 2 hits can pump out mortal wounds with a little bit of luck.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

For_Great_Justice posted:

If you like goofy as hell fine but quality wise gw chaos dwarves are old an silly looking. They just are, they're more hat than anything else. The alternate ones are fine with more detail an quality. There are other options than gw, they can't hurt you anymore.

Sorry I was thinking of the FW ones. Old Cossack looking Chaos Dwarves are great but in a very different way. The Mantic ones, like most Mantic models, are Fine but largely devoid of personality.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 4, 2018

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
It is utterly bizarre to me that the golden demon page serves you up a single low res image of winners, even for the slayer sword winning items

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Seldom Posts posted:

No, they look fine.

:thunk:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

some people have low standards

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Fun fact aesthetics are pretty subjective. People can like things and people can not be lovely dick clowns about it. People can not like gw stuff an like mantic stuff an so can anyone else.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

So what the heck does an AoS army even look like?

Gonna be making my first purchase to test out paint schemes on Saturday and idk what I should get (playing spoopy ghosts)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Business Gorillas posted:

So what the heck does an AoS army even look like?

Gonna be making my first purchase to test out paint schemes on Saturday and idk what I should get (playing spoopy ghosts)

Usually one or two large models, some cav and some infantry. If you're playing the ghosts I'd pick up either of the new Easy to Build kits since they both compliment the new starter kit well.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
If you're just testing out paint schemes then I'd go with either of the push-fit kits. There's also a box of 10 reapers that's dropping Saturday, a push-fit kit of a spirit torment and two chainghasts, a box of five hexwraiths and of course Lady Olynder. A warning for the hexwraiths, since it's the same kit from 2011, they suck to build.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

I think I found a paint scheme I like, i saw this but I have no idea what paints these are. Any ideas?

Edit: I figure the whispy stuff is that new tech paint and the skin (??) is the new hexflame thing, mostly looking at that dark rear end blue gray color for the hood

Business Gorillas fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 5, 2018

jadarx
May 25, 2012

Edit: I figure the whispy stuff is that new tech paint and the skin (??) is the new hexflame thing, mostly looking at that dark rear end blue gray color for the hood

The hood might be the new Nighthaunt Gloom. I have a pot and its a lot darker and solid than I was expecting it to be, especially compared to hexflame. Here's a comparison video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dTLRKLhd9c&t=51s

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

I think I found a paint scheme I like, i saw this but I have no idea what paints these are. Any ideas?

That green has a very Hatbox Ghost vibe and I really, really like it...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Delightful!

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I never realized how loving huge that purple death ball was.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
How do the Endless Spells work?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Clawtopsy posted:

How do the Endless Spells work?

You pay points to take them in your list, then cast them as a regular spell. Some of them move around, and players take turns picking spells and moving them starting with whoever has the second turn that round. So, if you cast an endless spell and it's the only one on the table, it's getting moved by whoever has second turn, either you or your opponent. They can be dispelled by a wizard if there's one close enough in the hero phase.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

You pay points to take them in your list, then cast them as a regular spell. Some of them move around, and players take turns picking spells and moving them starting with whoever has the second turn that round. So, if you cast an endless spell and it's the only one on the table, it's getting moved by whoever has second turn, either you or your opponent. They can be dispelled by a wizard if there's one close enough in the hero phase.

Which, since its 30" now for dispel range, seems to be often in the few games our group has played so far.

I mean, to some degree I think it was just people being paranoid about this new thing they didn't have a lot of experience with. But the games we did this week it seemed like endless spells mostly just got dispelled off the board pretty quick, so there wasn't a whole lot of people fighting for control over them or trying to exploit the spells their enemies laid down or anything.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Desiden posted:

Which, since its 30" now for dispel range, seems to be often in the few games our group has played so far.

I mean, to some degree I think it was just people being paranoid about this new thing they didn't have a lot of experience with. But the games we did this week it seemed like endless spells mostly just got dispelled off the board pretty quick, so there wasn't a whole lot of people fighting for control over them or trying to exploit the spells their enemies laid down or anything.

Yeah seems like the Pendulum and the Cogs are the major Endless Spells that see use. The Pendulum because it's predictable, the cogs because they work in a way that means you can hide them out of enemy wizards' LOS.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
There are downsides to dispelling the Endless spells. Namely that you won't get to take control of them or that your opponent won't give up first turn to control them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Anyone got suggestions for where to get dumb brettonian helmets if I wanted to chop off some stormcast heads and make some questing knights?