Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lol if you would rather have content instead of More Eureka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I mean, alternatively, the expansion cycle goes beyond 4.5, which isn't entirely unreasonable to expect.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Saint Freak posted:

Lol if you would rather have content instead of More Eureka.

Eureka as endgame is a big part of what killed my interest in the game after finishing the story. I'll probably come back when there's more new story and dungeons to chew on.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Eureka as endgame is a big part of what killed my interest in the game after finishing the story. I'll probably come back when there's more new story and dungeons to chew on.

Eureka isn't end game tho? I'd say its side content if anything, end game would be the actual raids and ex primals.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Choyi posted:

Eureka isn't end game tho? I'd say its side content if anything, end game would be the actual raids and ex primals.

It's what to do at endgame if you don't care about raids and ex primals, along with leveling other classes and beast tribes.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I haven’t set foot in eureka since I got my blm weapon and don’t really want to go back either

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Cythereal posted:

It's what to do at endgame if you don't care about raids and ex primals, along with leveling other classes and beast tribes.

Well then there is still the lvl70 dungeons, the newly released "Heaven on High" and 24mans to do which gives the same rewards or better then eureka does.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The only thing Eureka gets you over anything else is a better weapon than what's attainable at the absolute top end, and it's probably at least a little debatable in some cases. The AST relic weapon has loving Piety and Spell Speed. Yuck!

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Vermain posted:

The only thing Eureka gets you over anything else is a better weapon than what's attainable at the absolute top end, and it's probably at least a little debatable in some cases. The AST relic weapon has loving Piety and Spell Speed. Yuck!

Not even that. Eureka weapons cap at i355 currently. That’s below Tome Weapon, upgrades Crafted, HoH weapon, current EX Primal, and of course upgraded Tome and Diamond weapons for Savage runners.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr. Locke posted:

Not even that. Eureka weapons cap at i355 currently. That’s below Tome Weapon, upgrades Crafted, HoH weapon, current EX Primal, and of course upgraded Tome and Diamond weapons for Savage runners.

I think Pagos is upping it to i375. I'm assuming that'll be out in a few weeks. Still nothing I have any interest in; I gave Eureka an honest shake and I don't think you could force me back there at gunpoint.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
The real reward from Eureka is a sick glowing glamour weapon. It's why I've spent several hours lately cracking away at a Lilith Rod Zeta this last week or so, despite it being complete garbage at this point.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
For as disappointed as everyone is with Eureka: when it first came out people kept saying 'the weapons are dyeable' and 'the glow changes colors' which I took to mean that you could change the glow color with dyes so I was like, octuple disappointed with Eureka.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

For as disappointed as everyone is with Eureka: when it first came out people kept saying 'the weapons are dyeable' and 'the glow changes colors' which I took to mean that you could change the glow color with dyes so I was like, octuple disappointed with Eureka.

Wait you can’t?! gently caress

I sure do pay attention to eureka lol

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The best thing about Eureka is how dying the red mage weapon blue makes it look like blue goku using kaioken

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Well yes, it's the end game if you choose not to do literally any of the other content offered at 70

gently caress you're stupid

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bolow posted:

Well yes, it's the end game if you choose not to do literally any of the other content offered at 70

gently caress you're stupid

I do what I find fun and don't do what I don't find fun. Sorry that breaks your brain, bud.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

I, too, am incredibly upset about what content other people decide to spend their time on

Countblanc posted:

The best thing about Eureka is how dying the red mage weapon blue makes it look like blue goku using kaioken

:yeah:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're saying Eureka is the endgame while intentionally ignoring literally every other piece of endgame content. I don't think he's the one with the broken brain here.

Like, I don't do much savage raiding or EX primals either, but I don't pretend that content doesn't exist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arist posted:

You're saying Eureka is the endgame while intentionally ignoring literally every other piece of endgame content. I don't think he's the one with the broken brain here.

Like, I don't do much savage raiding or EX primals either, but I don't pretend that content doesn't exist.

Okay, so let me rephrase what I said: for the purposes of what I find enjoyable, Eureka is the main content touted as the way to improve my character.

Happy now, pedant?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Surprise surprise, one doesn't need to play the parts of the game that one doesn't find compelling.

I still haven't unlocked Eureka yet, and I won't touch it even when the next bit comes out.

Actually, the only thing that would compel me to do Eureka of any flavor would be if they released those glamour crafter/gatherer AF1/2 sets that are in the Chinese and Korean cash shops as rewards.

But until then, I'll let my sub lay fallow once I run out of things to do before I go into Eureka, just like I did last time, and probably with Eureka Pagos too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Okay, so let me rephrase what I said: for the purposes of what I find enjoyable, Eureka is the main content touted as the way to improve my character.

Happy now, pedant?
I don't think it was ever really touted as that though, and unless you define "raid" incredibly broadly won't actually give you a meaningful improvement on gear. Its purely just a way to waste 20 hours for a weapon that glows.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

homeless snail posted:

I don't think it was ever really touted as that though, and unless you define "raid" incredibly broadly won't actually give you a meaningful improvement on gear. Its purely just a way to waste 20 hours for a weapon that glows.

My main class is AST, all my weapons glow by default. :v:

But yeah, an unsatisfying endgame is the main reason I let my sub lapse for the time being. I'll be back at some point, but not until there's plenty more single player content to chew on.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

It’s true that nobody’s putting a gun to anyone’s head and forcing anyone to play eureka, but isn’t the rest of the game getting less content because the team is working on eureka instead? I think that’s why we’re getting fewer exdr dungeons for example, that’s fair to bitch about at least.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah but this one glows more!!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cythereal posted:

Happy now, pedant?

What exactly do you find enjoyable?

Not trying to be patronizing, I'm actually curious. You talk a lot about what you don't like but what, specifically, do you actually like doing?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Not trying to be patronizing, I'm actually curious. You talk a lot about what you don't like but what, specifically, do you actually like doing?

Complaining.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordiceius posted:

Single player content, story-heavy stuff, dungeons that aren't super hard. I play MMORPGs for the RPG part, primarily.

This is something I felt FF14 was pretty good about (albeit with the story being very uneven in quality, see the lows of 2.X ARR versus the highs of Heavensward) until I finally finished the story, at which point the game failed to keep my interest. I played a second character to 50, but that then came to a screeching halt when I encountered 2.X and remembered what a slow, meandering mess of bullshit and Alphinaud that was.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 5, 2018

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Arist posted:

Eureka did effectively replace the only endgame pve grind there was though: relic grinds. Relic grind was one of the things you could easily do in your downtime, ~5% of your step every week just by logging in daily and doing a roulette or similar, much of the time while also leveling other classes. HW relic was especially good about this.

Now it's in content reserved for level 70s, and it's in content that's best "enjoyed" by being afk 98% of the time. :ughh:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Truga posted:

Eureka did effectively replace the only endgame pve grind there was though: relic grinds. Relic grind was one of the things you could easily do in your downtime, ~5% of your step every week just by logging in daily and doing a roulette or similar, much of the time while also leveling other classes. HW relic was especially good about this.

Now it's in content reserved for level 70s, and it's in content that's best "enjoyed" by being afk 98% of the time. :ughh:

You see, it's fine because Netflix!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Cythereal posted:

Single player content, story-heavy stuff, dungeons that aren't super hard. I play MMORPGs for the RPG part, primarily.

This is something I felt FF14 was pretty good about (albeit with the story being very uneven in quality, see the lows of 2.X ARR versus the highs of Heavensward) until I finally finished the story, at which point the game failed to keep my interest. I played a second character to 50, but that then came to a screeching halt when I encountered 2.X and remembered what a slow, meandering mess of bullshit and Alphinaud that was.

Me: I like single player story games!
Also me: Plays an MMO.

I mean, when it comes down to it, the story/single player portion of an MMO is always going to be the smallest percentage of the content. That is just what MMOs are. There's no point it sitting around upset about the format because that's you just being upset with the definition of MMOs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordiceius posted:

I mean, when it comes down to it, the story/single player portion of an MMO is always going to be the smallest percentage of the content. That is just what MMOs are. There's no point it sitting around upset about the format because that's you just being upset with the definition of MMOs.

I'm not upset. I ran out of the content I liked to do, so I unsubbed. I'll probably resub when there's more of the content I like to do.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

He just likes to let everyone else know this at every opportunity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Astroniomix posted:

He just likes to let everyone else know this at every opportunity.

And every time I'm critical of the game, half a dozen people tell me I'm having fun wrong.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

i mean to be fair FFXIV is basically three long JRPGs stacked on top of each other at this point

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

dmboogie posted:

i mean to be fair FFXIV is basically three long JRPGs stacked on top of each other at this point

Basically. It's entirely possible to play the game as a really long single player JRPG that occasionally puts you in an auto-matched party.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

The coolest thing about Eureka is the sense of community when you get into a really chatty instance. I totally understand the people complaining about fate grinding (functionally it's not much different from atmas), but I absolutely love the super chill atmosphere of chatting with a bunch of people while you slowly work towards something.

I really, really wish XIV had some kind of world/server chat (though I'm aware there are problems with that and instanced duties due to the way the servers work), because the only other place I get that feeling is from the Novice Network, which is somewhat exclusive. Linkshells are alright, but their capacity is really limited and it's such a hassle trying to make sure all of my friends are in a LS, and all of THEIR friends are in that same one, and etc etc.

I just wanna talk to lots of people, maaaaan.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rainuwastaken posted:

I just wanna talk to lots of people, maaaaan.

For some reason I'm now imagining them using the upcoming phone app to pipe in shout chat from the major cities on the server of your selected character. I'm not sure if that would be amazing or terrifying.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

"I kind of don't like this so I'll wait for other content"
"OH yeah what content do YOU like then?"
"This"
"YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT BECAUSE YOU ENJOY THINGS WRONG!"

Shut the gently caress up.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Rainuwastaken posted:

The coolest thing about Eureka is the sense of community when you get into a really chatty instance.

Lemme tell you about a 2 a.m. farm group for Thordan Ex birb where people kept discussing Thordan's hairy, wrinkly old man balls and how even his ultimate comes in weak pathetic spurts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Rainuwastaken posted:

I really, really wish XIV had some kind of world/server chat (though I'm aware there are problems with that and instanced duties due to the way the servers work),

The other problem with it: you can and will get to talk to the dipshits that argue politics loudly and obnoxiously with each other and generally poo poo up the place because they're bored/they can. Remember all of the bad times you have in Novice Network (and don't lie, they happen) and then magnify it by a factor of four.

And then add in the caveat that sometimes things will get so chatty that you can't keep up with it. At least that's the case for me sometimes.

Never underestimate the Human Element (the third most common one in the universe, after hydrogen and tie fighter cockpits.)