Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I refunded Lightning Returns immediately after speaking with Hope. It doesn't matter how fun the game gets if both leads are emotionless anime-cutouts.
good thing lightning isnt that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I refunded Lightning Returns immediately after speaking with Hope. It doesn't matter how fun the game gets if both leads are emotionless anime-cutouts.

Well done spotting the game's core conflict that Lightning points out almost immediately

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
13-2's main problem in its pokemon mechanic is that some of the not-pokemon are simply better than others, and so it's a waste of time wasting resources on the bad ones, meaning you need to stick with crappy pokemon until you find the ones that are the best, because otherwise you're wasting all your stuff.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Morpheus posted:

13-2's main problem in its pokemon mechanic is that some of the not-pokemon are simply better than others, and so it's a waste of time wasting resources on the bad ones, meaning you need to stick with crappy pokemon until you find the ones that are the best, because otherwise you're wasting all your stuff.

Yeah its upgrade materials were way too limiting requiring a long grind for some stuff (esp if you wanted to min-max) or you had to use all your gil. Like I could understand it for the rarest materials but even the mid-tiers are a chore to get.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Stelas posted:

Well done spotting the game's core conflict that Lightning points out almost immediately

Yeah this is literally a plot point, not awful writing. Lightning basically stares into the camera and says "I don't seem to have normal emotions anymore, I wonder why???"

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

knowing nothing about the game except this screenshot i have to assume they wanted to appeal more to their core demo, tall women who love to dunk on manlets

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Caligula coming to PS4, Switch and PC in 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzd-atz5iXU

Sweet, good on ya Atlus for finally getting on with the times and porti- wait a second... Oh no.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

knowing nothing about the game except this screenshot i have to assume they wanted to appeal more to their core demo, tall women who love to dunk on manlets

They're proto 2B and 9S, though 2B has more emotions. Honestly though Lightning is pretty fun in it, especially if you like characters who are annoyed about everyone around them just constantly loving around.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HGH posted:

Sweet, good on ya Atlus for finally getting on with the times and porti- wait a second... Oh no.

I'm willing to give it a shot now it's not running at 10fps on Vita

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How did NISA get their hands on an Atlus USA game? That was already translated and ported to things in the US?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

chumbler posted:

They're proto 2B and 9S, though 2B has more emotions. Honestly though Lightning is pretty fun in it, especially if you like characters who are annoyed about everyone around them just constantly loving around.

It is also important that you dress up Lightning in the gaudiest outfits possible, for Maximum Fun.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

How did NISA get their hands on an Atlus USA game? That was already translated and ported to things in the US?

It's a different game. FURYU and NISA can do whatever they want.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Artelier posted:

It is also important that you dress up Lightning in the gaudiest outfits possible, for Maximum Fun.

I liked it when I put a top hat on her with the suit you get from party city and changed the colors so it looks like she dressed up as Professor Layton.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpUdU70rtfo

Someone got some camera footage of the Neptunia game.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpUdU70rtfo

Someone got some camera footage of the Neptunia game.
looks pretty uninspired, honestly

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Did they make a VP clone without combos

I'd laugh if I weren't so deeply disappointed

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hi rpg thread

i didn't finish golden sun dark dark. i got to the great wall but it was just too boring and unsatisfying

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

Did they make a VP clone without combos

I'd laugh if I weren't so deeply disappointed

Well, it appears to be just some random guy playing a demo station. I don't think there's enough info there to tell.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They've been keeping Super Neptune's contents pretty well hidden aside from the concept. Perhaps even the characters being able to transform into goddesses and use a combo move would spoil the story at this point?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper posted:

hi rpg thread

i didn't finish golden sun dark dark. i got to the great wall but it was just too boring and unsatisfying

welcome back to the light light

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So apparently if you actually lose to Roger in Atelier Lydie & Suelle they start a gang and rule Melveille's underworld.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 6, 2018

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

All three Final Fantasy XIII series games are horrid and play like trash, but at least 13-2 knows its a bad game and has fun with it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dehry posted:

So apparently if you actually lose to Roger in Atelier Lydie & Suelle they start a gang and rule Melveille's underworld.

lol that ending seemed weird to me and the twins seemed really out of character and there's such a huge disconnect between it and the dialogue that comes after passing the B-rank test but then again you'd have to actively go out of your way to lose to him

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Saucer Crab posted:

All three Final Fantasy XIII series games are horrid and play like trash, but at least 13-2 knows its a bad game and has fun with it.

That's Lightning Returns except it knows its a good game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DisDisDis posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js4cU4X5BkU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Looper posted:

hi rpg thread

That's because those games are bad bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Saucer Crab posted:

this is a bad argument

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm on my way to getting the last therion in Tales of Berseria and the goddamn overworld music has finally opened my mind to the true madness that lies within.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Colonel posted:

this is a bad argument

If nothing else I'd say 13-3 has pretty fun Valkyrie Profile combat

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I'm on my way to getting the last therion in Tales of Berseria and the goddamn overworld music has finally opened my mind to the true madness that lies within.

bwaaaaaah Bwaaaaah BBBBWWWWAAAAAAAAH

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

exquisite tea posted:

sakuraba's quality as a composer on tales has slowly degraded over the years and i wish all overworld music at least was handled by go shiina because he actually knows how to compose stuff that won't horribly grate on your mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2uvo-W-9A4

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the 2nd battle song in Abyss was fire and i'm sad it gets replaced with a song that puts me to sleep instead

thats my contribution to the sakuraba opinion

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

voltcatfish posted:

the 2nd battle song in Abyss was fire and i'm sad it gets replaced with a song that puts me to sleep instead

thats my contribution to the sakuraba opinion

his stuff is pretty decent through 2d tales and once you hit 3d then symphonia through like, maybe vesperia or graces f his stuff is fine

xillia and xillia 2 are some of the worst music he's ever composed, unfortunately

tbh i hope at this point they just hire a totally new guy to score the next tales game with maybe some go shiina guest tracks

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
A bunch of my favorite Tales tracks were done by Shinji Tamura, including the really strong ones from Phantasia that I always just sort of assumed were Sakuraba. He composed as recently as Vesperia so if we're replacing Sakuraba my hopes are for him.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Give the man back his PS1 sound fonts.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Phantasium posted:

Give the man back his PS1 sound fonts.

That's definitely when he seemed most inspired. I do think Tales places limits on him though so "it sounds like Tales"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its weird because sakuraba occasionally busts out some really good songs. velvet and magilou's themes in berseria are both great, the rideaux boss theme in xillia 2 is at least interesting, i actually dig a good amount of the graces themes. a lot of the best music in abyss was by the bump of chicken guy, but sakuraba had some good songs in there too.

im not sure if they place really heavy restrictions on him when it comes to the common battle/overworld themes or if hes just completely out of ideas for them, but I think a new composer would help a lot either way. Sakuraba can still be a secondary composer if they don't wanna break tradition, but a soundtrack thats mostly by someone, anyone new would be a huge breath of fresh air.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sakuraba should stick to writing prog rock opera stuff that are the best thing in bad Tri Ace games.
And Souls.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

welcome back to the light light

i stand by what i said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

HGH posted:

What's the deal with it? I dunno anything about the games but the Switch trailer looked kinda neat