Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

evilweasel posted:

I thought basically every doc review database had that ability. Each attachment is a separate image that can be redacted and you're not producing the raw files.

I’m not using any doc review software. This is just in-house responding to a TPS. I don’t have that much to produce. I’m already producing the contract that needs some light redacting, but some of the emails I’m producing have the contract as an attachment too.

I’ll probably just send the redacted contract, remove the attachments, and ID the emails I removed the contract from. Will I get sanctioned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’m not using any doc review software. This is just in-house responding to a TPS. I don’t have that much to produce. I’m already producing the contract that needs some light redacting, but some of the emails I’m producing have the contract as an attachment too.

I’ll probably just send the redacted contract, remove the attachments, and ID the emails I removed the contract from. Will I get sanctioned?

Print everything you need to produce but redact to PDF, redact the PDFs, and then produce those. Including the emails with attachments that need to be redacted but do not need to be redacted themselves.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You can redact in adobe.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

evilweasel posted:

Print everything you need to produce but redact to PDF, redact the PDFs, and then produce those. Including the emails with attachments that need to be redacted but do not need to be redacted themselves.

I’m gonna do this. Thanks. I didn’t really want to produce the email files anyway. I was just hoping for a shortcut.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You can redact in adobe.

by the way, highlight your redactions once you're done, ctrl-c, open word, ctrl-v

make drat sure that what you redacted doesn't show up, because it's real easy to just add a black square over the data but leave it there in copyable format and every year some poor soul goofs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 13, 2021

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Discendo Vox posted:

What would make a state pro bono obligation setup be more effective?

Biglaw firms cut checks to unemployed or underemployed lawyers to represent whoever needs representing

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

What would make a state pro bono obligation setup be more effective?

Have the state bar manage it so that they can confirm compliance and have failure to comply be a sanctionable offense.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Why should I be mandated on pain of sanction to work for free again?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

GamingHyena posted:

Why should I be mandated on pain of sanction to work for free again?

Even if they paid you, it’s problematic. Courts don’t order specific performance on service contracts. Why should I have to do something even if I’m compensated if I don’t want to?

There’s no way it can be mandatory. But it could be more inviting and incentivized.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It's not good policy. That's just how you'd do it to make it effective.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
"A legal obligation to work for free is normally slavery, but Alexis de Tocqueville once said that lawyers are the true learned, genteel, gentry class of America, and blah blah civic duty, and blah blah prestige, and blah blah honourable to perform a public service, and therefore it's not slavery if lawyers do it." - Your state bar association.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Having it replace CLE would be good.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It's because you get to be part of a protectionist guild.

Imho there instead should be progressive bar dues funding a legal aid program that hires attorneys.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

evilweasel posted:

As long as there's an equal expectation to give zero effort or attention to it (which is what an acquintance of mine supposedly did while making up hundreds of pro Bono hours during the downturn when she had no work to bill)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

evilweasel posted:

I think that’s already an option in Tennessee, but it’s some ludicrous conversion rate like 10 pro bono hours = 1 CLE hour. And it caps out at 8 CLE hrs.

Even lazy pro bono work is more useful than CLE though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

As long as there's an equal expectation to give zero effort or attention to it (which is what an acquintance of mine supposedly did while making up hundreds of pro Bono hours during the downturn when she had no work to bill)

having it be an option to replace cle, not mandatory; pay attention to your pro bono work!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 13, 2021

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

Okay, Nightmare mode:

What would make a state CLE setup be more effective?

required comprehension tests following the CLE for non in-person classes beyond the "type out the code to prove you listened"

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

evilweasel posted:

by the way, highlight your redactions once you're done, ctrl-c, open word, ctrl-v

make drat sure that what you redacted doesn't show up, because it's real easy to just add a black square over the data but leave it there in copyable format and every year some poor soul goofs

I just did so and I couldn't obtain the redacted data. Might not be full proof, but it does save it as a new pdf with meta data removed in Acrobat Pro 2017.

Usually for me it's just to make stuff court filling eligible - removing ssn and birthdays. Not trying to hide the big alien secrets of the state.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

evilweasel posted:

required comprehension tests following the CLE for non in-person classes beyond the "type out the code to prove you listened"

if they wanted people to understand those, they wouldn't have told everyone exactly where the code should be, imo

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Adar posted:

if they wanted people to understand those, they wouldn't have told everyone exactly where the code should be, imo

my personal favorite was that 12 hour long online cle i did required you to press a button every so often that would pop up to show you were paying attention

but when the button would pop up it would bring itself to the front and grab the os priority so you could not miss it short of not even being near the computer

that was great, more cles should do that

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

evilweasel posted:

my personal favorite was that 12 hour long online cle i did required you to press a button every so often that would pop up to show you were paying attention

but when the button would pop up it would bring itself to the front and grab the os priority so you could not miss it short of not even being near the computer

that was great, more cles should do that

PLI does that and it owns. I did in fact leave it running, go to a meeting, then come back to see the prompt there. No idea how long it had been there. Clicked. Got full credit.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/ScottGreenfield/status/1014939292731396098

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

While the end is definitely racist I'm not totally sure that the yellow part is

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

When I was in law school, a lawyer I know gave me $50 to watch and click the CLE button prompt.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tokelau All Star posted:

When I was in law school, a lawyer I know gave me $50 to watch and click the CLE button prompt.

gently caress, I wish I'd thought of that. Now I'm MCLE exempt though.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

In Texas if you teach a cle you get credit for the time researching and writing the class. If I spend 30 hours on a one hour presentation my cle is done for 2 years.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Took a doc review job. Pays much better than HR and the public defender. 6 month project. Could be worse I guess.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The circle is complete.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Took a doc review job. Pays much better than HR and the public defender. 6 month project. Could be worse I guess.

How many jobs have you bailed on at this point? You remind me of my friend who could never settle on anything and ultimately never passed the bar (then went to get his PhD).

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
My HR job was eliminated due to a merger.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
If he hasn't passed the bar yet (or even taken the bar) then doc review isn't such a bad way to while away the rest of the year. I'd be surprised if you could even get a PD job with no law license. Plus, since they're already taking the dregs of the legal profession I doubt they drug test for doc review so he's free to :420:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Long term a PD job is way better for you career than some doc review job.
OTO, if you didn't want a PD job, save it for someone who does.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Toona the Cat posted:

You absolute loving moron

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

nm posted:

Long term a PD job is way better for you career than some doc review job.
OTO, if you didn't want a PD job, save it for someone who does.

It’s the latter. I’ve just gotten bored and need to make a few bucks until bar prep in December.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
This CLE talk reminded me that I was supposed to file papers for my optional bar admission, but instead I'm in a hospital, so it's another half a year wait for me.
We do have something resembling CLE for bar members

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You ok alexy? What's a Russian hospital like? I've seen...movies...on the internet.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You ok alexy? What's a Russian hospital like? I've seen...movies...on the internet.

I'm in a good one, forunately, but whatever nightmarish stories you are referring to are true for ~90% of the Russian hospitals

Still the bar is loving stupid for only accepting applications during a short 4-day period and only if I physically come there myself with a bunch of hard copies. It's stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Toona the Cat posted:

I'm glad came back in time for the denouement of the Toona arc