Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
"One please for... uh, what is this 'Turn A Gundam' movie?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

The announcement is literally for an adaptation. It'll adapt something, and given Sunrise's fixation on UC there's really no reason it won't be 0079. They were the ones who stipulated that 0079 should be the follow up to Wing after all. They want something that'll funnel fans in to UC, where there's lots of existing products those fans can buy. An IBO or Wing adaption won't do that.

It'll be a faithful adaptation of the novels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Locks of girlfriends pubic hairs hanging from their cockpits and everything?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Live-action Shining Finger tia

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Locks of girlfriends pubic hairs hanging from their cockpits and everything?

did this happen

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

I seem to recall there being an interview where he said he totally would make something in Hollywood if he could but that nobody there would be crazy enough to let him do what he wants. Unfortunately I can't find a source for this comment at the moment, so take it with a grain of salt.

He has definitely not been shy about how he has always wanted to direct outside of anime but never got the chance.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

In the novelization.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

tsob posted:

The announcement is literally for an adaptation. It'll adapt something, and given Sunrise's fixation on UC there's really no reason it won't be 0079. They were the ones who stipulated that 0079 should be the follow up to Wing after all. They want something that'll funnel fans in to UC, where there's lots of existing products those fans can buy. An IBO or Wing adaption won't do that.

I think it'll be late UC if it's UC at all. If I remember correctly they did list a live action production in the outline for UC Next 100.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RillAkBea posted:

I think it'll be late UC if it's UC at all. If I remember correctly they did list a live action production in the outline for UC Next 100.

They listed a drama serial or something, which the internet tells me is the usual phrase for a TV show and not for a movie. Also, I'd be shocked if they made it late UC off the bat because late UC is such a hard sell even to fans of Gundam; never mind non-fans.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

RillAkBea posted:

Jesus. Imagine the marketing push live action Gundam will be getting if the TV show and the movie tie-in, like Avengers and Agents of Shield.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Funny enough I was just asking today about gunpla being sold in big box stores like B&N. A successful movie would be just the thing to push sales a little further.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HitTheTargets posted:

Jesus. Imagine the marketing push live action Gundam will be getting if the TV show and the movie tie-in, like Avengers and Agents of Shield.

I don't know about an anime, but there will definitely be a manga adaptation. And a manga prequel. And a manga sidestory

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Funny enough I was just asking today about gunpla being sold in big box stores like B&N. A successful movie would be just the thing to push sales a little further.

It'd be just like the early 2000s, Gundam in KB Toys and Toys R Us!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I need thirty minutes!
YOUVE GOT FIIIIVE.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Guy Goodbody posted:

Now you've got me imagining a new MSIA line and my wallet is screaming at me about that line of thought

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Having never watched (much) of 0079 subbed, were the Black Tri-Stars voiced as "rednecks" or something similar in Japanese, or was that just a weird directing decision someone at Ocean made when they dubbed it?

Still kind of a shame that they couldn't get Michael Kopsa to reprise the role of Char, though, I have a bit of a hard time hearing him as anyone else in English.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Keith Silverstein does a good job even if he does remind me too much of Naseem from Skyrim

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Having never watched (much) of 0079 subbed, were the Black Tri-Stars voiced as "rednecks" or something similar in Japanese, or was that just a weird directing decision someone at Ocean made when they dubbed it?

To their credit, they do talk in a somewhat rough, almost blue collar manner in the Japanese.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So, the RX-79G Spartan Type from Thunderbolt. Is it actually a Gundam type Mobile suit adapted from the initial batch of Ground Gundams or is it just a thunderbolt sector GM with inflatable shoes that they gave a fancier head and a spear?

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

No.

It was snips of girlfriends' pubic hairs in lockets. Amuro gets Sayla's; they become an unambiguous romantic pair in the novel.

Caros
May 14, 2008

It is a rare Japanese good luck tradition. It's most famous for a handful of second world war pilots who bought into it, which is probably how the idea got translated into a gundam source that lifts vigorously from that period.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caros posted:

It is a rare Japanese good luck tradition. It's most famous for a handful of second world war pilots who bought into it, which is probably how the idea got translated into a gundam source that lifts vigorously from that period.

I thought it was a Russian thing, because the Federation are the Allies?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Russian federation didn't the exist in 1980.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought it was a Russian thing, because the Federation are the Allies?

Wait...are you implying you think the Federation are based heavily on Russia?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

Wait...are you implying you think the Federation are based heavily on Russia?

Perhaps in the sense that Russia experienced a colossal military buildup over the course of the war that by the time the Manchurian campaign started Japan was driven off the continent in a matter of weeks.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm starting to think that his name really was Quattro Vagina, not Bagina. I could believe that it was Bagina and the closeness of the name to Vagina was pure coincidence, it it weren't for Jamitov Hymen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/KeitaTakahash/status/1015273672934715392

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

So Live action Super Robot Wars?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Isn't that what the new 00 stage play will be?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm starting to think that his name really was Quattro Vagina, not Bagina. I could believe that it was Bagina and the closeness of the name to Vagina was pure coincidence, it it weren't for Jamitov Hymen.

Not to mention how his name has been romanized as Vagina previously, or that those two are not the only examples.
https://twitter.com/murasamefour/status/1002344541062619136

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Guy Goodbody posted:

Possible points for: In katakana "va" and "ba" are written the same most of the time. Hymen.

Possible points against: its pronounced with a "jeena" making it not the English vagina.

I think we all know the truth here.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Thanks a lot thread. Now I'm paranoid of pronouncing the female sex organ like a weirdo. "Hey babe send me bageena pic I'm horny"

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sazabi posted:

Thanks a lot thread. Now I'm paranoid of pronouncing the female sex organ like a weirdo. "Hey babe send me bageena pic I'm horny"

Guaranteed you pronounce it that way you're going to get laid.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sazabi posted:

Seven vajanias, maybe more

Imagine...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ToonamiNews/status/1015676321555288064

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

A new dub can never replicate the glorious insanity of Mark Oliver's Rau.

https://youtu.be/0Awfq95GSSo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe don't piss money away on a SEED Remastered Dub and do a Turn A dub instead? Please?

The overseas dub for Build Fighters is hilarious though. Ragey.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sazabi posted:

https://i.imgur.com/wDRZn9Q.gif

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe don't piss money away on a SEED Remastered Dub and do a Turn A dub instead? Please?

The overseas dub for Build Fighters is hilarious though. Ragey.

Tri's dub decided a 14 year old boy from Japan who yells martial arts. He should be voiced by a middle aged Australian woman doing her best. Not that the other voice actors are good. But English Sekai is a voice I won't soon forget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

A new dub can never replicate the glorious insanity of Mark Oliver's Rau.

https://youtu.be/0Awfq95GSSo

Well, if the Gods want to sacrifice Mark Oliver's magnificent hammy Rau in exchange for G Gundam Blu Ray with its dub intact, I'll take it.

Plus, isn't Rau voiced by Griffith? There's still hope he can make the landing on Crazy Rau