Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Beetphyxious posted:

Well some of these houses are vastly bigger than the shitbox apartments in the city, but only some of them. Some of them in that photo are loving tiny.

Anyway this is a housing affordability issue as much as it is an infrastructure, density and planning issue. If housing was more affordable people wouldn't be buying poo poo boxes an hour plus from the city if they had other options.

Yeah I agree with both of these things, but why bother building them flat if there's no garden?

I was having lunch on Tuesday and there was this 25 year old property guy singing the praises of Guy on the table next to me to some Chinese investors and it ruined by sandwich.

e: this place is 52 kilometers from the cbd...

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

JBP posted:

Yeah I agree with both of these things, but why bother building them flat if there's no garden?

I was having lunch on Tuesday and there was this 25 year old property guy singing the praises of Guy on the table next to me to some Chinese investors and it ruined by sandwich.

e: this place is 52 kilometers from the cbd...

Oh I agree, didn't Andrews put a planning thing in saying 35% garden per block or something.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Do you rent?

https://tenants.org.au/tu/mould-survey

Tenants Unions across Australia are doing a survey about mould in rental properties to submit to a Biotoxin inquiry. Give them your horror stories.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Beetphyxious posted:

Oh I agree, didn't Andrews put a planning thing in saying 35% garden per block or something.

This article is pretty clear, but it also mentions the old permeable surface rules and I can't understand how these blocks would meet that standard either.

https://www.australiandesignreview.com/architecture/victorias-new-garden-area-requirement/

400-500 square metres: 25 percent minimum garden area
501-650 square metres: 30 percent minimum garden area
> 650 square metres: 35 percent minimum garden area

A garden area includes:
– Lawn,
– garden beds,
– swimming pools and spas,
– tennis courts,
– paved paths and courtyards, and
– open entertaining areas.

Garden area does not include:
– Driveways or areas set aside for car parking,
– carports,
– buildings or roofed areas,
– garden sheds, and
– spaces less than 1m wide (eg. narrow garden beds at the side of a driveway).

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My aunt and uncle recently moved to a new home in an estate like that on the NSW south coast. None of the homes have storage built into them. you can drive around and looking into peoples garages and there is just mountains of boxes and belongings because they dont build any cupboards in these homes at all.

they ended up losing about 15-20% of their 2 spare bedrooms in the house just adding built in ward-robes for storage.

not to mention that theres no trees or shade loving anywhere and all the homes have black roofs. and everyones running aircon all summer to keep comfortable.

gently caress property developers.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Laserface posted:

My aunt and uncle recently moved to a new home in an estate like that on the NSW south coast. None of the homes have storage built into them. you can drive around and looking into peoples garages and there is just mountains of boxes and belongings because they dont build any cupboards in these homes at all.

they ended up losing about 15-20% of their 2 spare bedrooms in the house just adding built in ward-robes for storage.

not to mention that theres no trees or shade loving anywhere and all the homes have black roofs. and everyones running aircon all summer to keep comfortable.

gently caress property developers.

and no eaves lol

And foundations that sink

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It's quite surprising to me that two story homes aren't more popular in these developments, a smaller footprint with more space for a garden, plus less roof area to stay cooler in summer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Senor Tron posted:

It's quite surprising to me that two story homes aren't more popular in these developments, a smaller footprint with more space for a garden, plus less roof area to stay cooler in summer.

Probably too expensive to flat pack a straight off CAD double storey using nothing but thin steel and plastic to hold it up.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Double stories cost more mainly because of scaffolding, work safety stuff and matrrials. Which is fine by me.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The Victorian garden area requirement is immensely dumb policy and repeated efforts from many people have still yet to discover just what the actual intended purpose of it is.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Solemn Sloth posted:

The Victorian garden area requirement is immensely dumb policy and repeated efforts from many people have still yet to discover just what the actual intended purpose of it is.

Well not disagreeing, but I thought it mainly was about density.

Oh and something about Donald Bradman

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yeah I think it's just a weird way to try and stop them packing people into sardine living spaces.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Topical.

https://twitter.com/DanielAndrewsMP/status/1014765508728578048?s=19

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

Coming back to this, what boggles my mind is that apartments near actual amenities are deemed unsuitable to raise a family, but living a million miles from town with no backyard is somehow a better way to go?

e: not talking inner city apartment since they don't even build them 2-3 bed, I'm thinking more about the ones within 10kms.

All of the marketing surrounding these places promise schools, parks, shops, and all the amenities you could ever need (at a later date), which then never materialise. It's as much about developers lying about amenities that it is people choosing to live far away from them.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Beetphyxious posted:

Well not disagreeing, but I thought it mainly was about density.

Oh and something about Donald Bradman

There’s already site coverage and permeability limits, and it was replacing a control which directly limited the number of houses you can put on a lot.

The implementation has been dumb as gently caress too, it still hasn’t been reflected in the building regulations which means many single house on a lot builds can ignore it unless they need planning permission for another reason(like they’re on a floodplain or something).

Don’t get me wrong, Matthew Guy is the dumbest motherfucker to have been planning minister in this state in a long time and his suggestions are far worse, but the GAR is a farce.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

racing identity posted:

All of the marketing surrounding these places promise schools, parks, shops, and all the amenities you could ever need (at a later date), which then never materialise. It's as much about developers lying about amenities that it is people choosing to live far away from them.

Live next door to this beautiful created/restored wetlands!

*hands over control of the wetlands to council and it immediately goes to ruin because they have no money to maintain it because they’re trying to provide essential services to the ten thousand people who just moved in*

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sooo the guy who shot his kids dead in Sydney looks to be a 68 year old guy who married a 36 year old woman and the kids were 15 and 13. :yikes:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

Sooo the guy who shot his kids dead in Sydney looks to be a 68 year old guy who married a 36 year old woman and the kids were 15 and 13. :yikes:

Sounds like a top bloke.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He looks like a wealthy financial services man.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

A bit late, but I'd like to thank Planet Armerica for finding an expert who explained that Trump wasn't actually losing track of detained children a week before it came out he was literally locking them up in child internment camps. Great reporting.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
WA becoming the kingmaker owns and I’m gonna vote for whoever porkbarrels is the most, morals be damned. :retrogames:

The country will go back to not giving a gently caress soon enough.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

racing identity posted:

Friend of mind moved to a new development in Wellard a few years ago (mostly known for being where the Claremont Serial Killer dumped one of the bodies in the 90's).

They're finally putting in a primary school, but she now admits she regrets moving so far out given how far she is from basically everything. The house is nice, but nothing could get me to live there.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Hopefully Labor can figure out a good response to the Liberal’s GST proposal. If they stuff it up they can kiss goodbye any potential gains in WA, it’s the only Federal political issue anyone gives a poo poo about over here

garbage state

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I’d vote for Hitler if he gave us our GST back

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Thanks Tone & Mal

https://twitter.com/checkouttv/status/1015027461581488128

Who needs one of the most popular shows on the abc anyway, we've got Q&A already!

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

drunkill posted:

Thanks Tone & Mal

Who needs one of the most popular shows on the abc anyway, we've got Q&A already!

Yeah, Jesus. My husband will be incredibly disappointed, we don't normally watch much TV but when we do we go for stuff like this.

I'd like to see them start cancelling shows genuinely popular with old boomers and blame it on the Libs. :/

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

froglet posted:

Yeah, Jesus. My husband will be incredibly disappointed, we don't normally watch much TV but when we do we go for stuff like this.

I'd like to see them start cancelling shows genuinely popular with old boomers and blame it on the Libs. :/

https://twitter.com/ABCMediaComms/status/1015080553375154176

N-n-n-no we're not. We're just not commissioning it. Not axing it.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

Synthbuttrange posted:

And they were having a custody dispute...

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Liberals still having trouble with the concept of diversity

https://mobile.twitter.com/DaniellesCave/status/1014675942302597121?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Kevin Rudd famously had lots of mates

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao it's a bunch of shithead politicians and Delly.

Why not Thon Maker?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Solemn Sloth posted:

One of the intended outcomes is to avoid overloading stormwater systems and creating huge amounts of urban runoff, hence the description “permeable area”. Also helps recharge groundwater.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drunkill posted:

Thanks Tone & Mal

gently caress. This show was a force for good and sometimes funny also :(
Zoe Norton Lodge rules

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

blindidiotgod posted:

Do you rent?

https://tenants.org.au/tu/mould-survey

Tenants Unions across Australia are doing a survey about mould in rental properties to submit to a Biotoxin inquiry. Give them your horror stories.
oh i am so there

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

that was cathartic lol

memories of the landlord's go-to guys "fixing" the mould by painting over it, and the paint bubbling up and sloughing off like rotten skin because the mould was still wildly spreading underneath it. so not only did i have to deal with mould, cockroaches and slugs (the slugs had mites crawling all over them) but whenever i showered it was in a magical snowstorm of mouldy paint fragments

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

EoinCannon posted:

gently caress. This show was a force for good and sometimes funny also :(
Zoe Norton Lodge rules

:(:hf::(

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Capt.Whorebags posted:

One of the intended outcomes is to avoid overloading stormwater systems and creating huge amounts of urban runoff, hence the description “permeable area”. Also helps recharge groundwater.

The permeability requirement is a separate one and has been in long before the garden area requirement was introduced. The GAR doesn’t require an area to be permeable to be included in the requirement. It can include impermeable areas such as concrete as long as they’re not part of a driveway or car park.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
RIP the only post-Chaser show that isn't awful

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/smurray38/status/1015073362014420992

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"