Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

RIP the only post-Chaser show that isn't awful

War on Waste is alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MysticalMachineGun posted:

War on Waste is alright

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

A bit late, but I'd like to thank Planet Armerica for finding an expert who explained that Trump wasn't actually losing track of detained children a week before it came out he was literally locking them up in child internment camps. Great reporting.

Planet America sucks and has apparently given Chas the brain worms

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I didn't like the sketches on The Checkout but it was still very informative.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Planet America sucks and has apparently given Chas the brain worms

It is very truth-in-the-middle for a show about Trump, yes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I don't watch the ABC because it's a right wing shitpiece.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Bad news for the Senator for Glencore:

https://twitter.com/ljayes/status/1015115500999794689

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I wonder if it was to get out of paying the girls maternity leave.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

froglet posted:

Friend of mind moved to a new development in Wellard a few years ago (mostly known for being where the Claremont Serial Killer dumped one of the bodies in the 90's).

They're finally putting in a primary school, but she now admits she regrets moving so far out given how far she is from basically everything. The house is nice, but nothing could get me to live there.

I like the design of Wellard, the main part at least. Not sure about the new parts. It's all built up so you can walk around to the shops, the train, the pub/wine bar/giant tavern they are building. And it's only a half hour train trip to the city so it's good for city workers.

Having said that, anything involving getting on the freeway is hosed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

G-Spot Run posted:

I wonder if it was to get out of paying the girls maternity leave.

No one in film and television is an ongoing employee haha.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Wellard and the surrounding suburbs are loving holes and you can feel the domestic violence in the air there.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
There are developments in Melbourne's west with zero public transport (like, not even a bus service) which are a 20 minute drive from the nearest grocery store

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Konomex posted:

I like the design of Wellard, the main part at least. Not sure about the new parts. It's all built up so you can walk around to the shops, the train, the pub/wine bar/giant tavern they are building. And it's only a half hour train trip to the city so it's good for city workers.

Having said that, anything involving getting on the freeway is hosed.

She lives in the "suburban prison" section. It's a good 15 minute drive to the local shops and it just looks depressing. I don't know what the state government were thinking by allowing it. From what I've seen there's little going on there and the main appeal is that it's cheap. I don't think that's a good basis for any property development and just sets the whole community up for a variety of social blight.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When I used to drive a lot visiting worker's homes in the new western suburbs I was just hosed by the time I got home because the hours were long, but mainly because it was really oppressive out there.

E: like you're driving around "Melbourne" with no mobile coverage, there are no people, no services or even basic shopping high streets with a fish and chip shop... Bad.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Australians have a pathological hatred of apartments so severe that they'll literally boil to death in a black-roofed shitbox that can barely fit a piece of paper between it and the neighbours eaves with zero access to public transport or services instead.

Our city is currently doing a densification program around our rail corridors (we have a bunch of train stations) and the local MPs are seriously posting pictures of ten-storey apartment blocks that are two minutes walk from the train station and five minutes walk from the loving CBD with a huge, well-maintained, beautiful park going "where will the children play?!" while people shriek about concrete jungles and China.

Half the people demanding these tiny-rear end strips of backyard don't do anything with it except mow it. Their kids don't play outside because of skin cancer and paedophiles and their entire existence is shuttling back and forth from pre-planned activities in an air-conditioned SUV, but my little Addyss'n-Annarleigh and Hunn'tyrr Tyllar need a backyard, do you want us to live like Asian sardines :australia:

e: oh and I forgot and in response to these people existing other people turn into YIMBYs who advocate for dumb poo poo like removing literally all land use zoning and height limits and letting developers build whatever they want wherever they want

Quantum Mechanic fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 6, 2018

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/kloussikian/status/1015113137693995008

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Coming soon to a Dutton ministry near you:

Trump Creates ‘Denaturalization’ Task Force to Pursue Deportation Against Thousands of U.S. Citizens

quote:

In June, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services quietly announced a new task force that will investigate “bad” naturalization cases, wherein the agency will hire dozens of lawyers and immigration officers “to find U.S. citizens they say should not have been naturalized, to revoke their citizenship, and then eventually deport them,” according to The Takeaway, from WNYC and Public Radio International.

Question - when this inevitably comes here, can we get it to apply to Abbott?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Wasn't that guy involved with killing channel 10 too?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Coming soon to a Dutton ministry near you:

Trump Creates ‘Denaturalization’ Task Force to Pursue Deportation Against Thousands of U.S. Citizens

Can we get any rules to apply to them?(no)

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

It’s going to rule when I’m 90 years old and get to see Perth sprawl all the way to Bunbury lol

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Just skip this "kneecapping it til people think it's worthless" part and get to trying to privatise it like you want, cowards

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Don't be silly, this is for the brown ones

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
DOG NEWS DOG NEWS DOG NEWS DOG NEWS DOG NEWS
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-06/possum-gets-head-stuck-in-empty-nutella-jar/9948162

quote:

A possum's sweet tooth has come back to bite it after getting its head stuck in an empty jar of Nutella.
The marsupial was found out the back of a home in Loganholme, south of Brisbane, on Monday, with its head firmly stuck in the plastic jar.
RSPCA Queensland spokesman Michael Beatty said the possum was found by a man after his dog showed "great interest" in the bins outside.
"The man looked around the back of the shed near the garbage bin and there was the possum with his head caught," Mr Beatty said.
"It managed to get his head in the jar, but obviously couldn't get it out."
The home owner called the RSPCA's animal emergency hotline, and a volunteer attended and was able to free the possum with the help of a water-based lubricant.
They took the possum to the RSPCA's native wildlife hospital at Wacol for observation.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Leyonhjelm.jpg

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Australians have a pathological hatred of apartments so severe that they'll literally boil to death in a black-roofed shitbox that can barely fit a piece of paper between it and the neighbours eaves with zero access to public transport or services instead.

Our city is currently doing a densification program around our rail corridors (we have a bunch of train stations) and the local MPs are seriously posting pictures of ten-storey apartment blocks that are two minutes walk from the train station and five minutes walk from the loving CBD with a huge, well-maintained, beautiful park going "where will the children play?!" while people shriek about concrete jungles and China.

Half the people demanding these tiny-rear end strips of backyard don't do anything with it except mow it. Their kids don't play outside because of skin cancer and paedophiles and their entire existence is shuttling back and forth from pre-planned activities in an air-conditioned SUV, but my little Addyss'n-Annarleigh and Hunn'tyrr Tyllar need a backyard, do you want us to live like Asian sardines :australia:

e: oh and I forgot and in response to these people existing other people turn into YIMBYs who advocate for dumb poo poo like removing literally all land use zoning and height limits and letting developers build whatever they want wherever they want

The problem I see is the areas higher density makes any loving sense in WA is virulently opposed by the local NIMBY's. And there is no loving solution that will keep everyone happy unless someone makes insane promises to the locals or we can hold our collective breath for 50 years.

Like if you want to live near the new children's Hospital coz you work there, good loving luck finding anywhere close because the locals have decided "gently caress off, we're full" is the rule of the day. Few subdivisions, few apartments, the locals have made it clear they do not want any more people.

I don't know what the solution is - it's borderline impossible to make them care about other people, the environment and they aren't convinced that maybe it won't be that bad and that maybe that change should be happening closer to the city rather than overburdening the suburbs out the southern growth corridor even more. They don't care about the significant congestion already happening out toward Mandurah, or that maybe from an infrastructure perspective they can tolerate an extra 5,000 extra dwellings better than Cockburn central or wherever the gently caress all these apartment blocks are meant to go up.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Leyonhjelm.jpg

Nah, didn't bite the people that freed it and then stick it's head even further into the jar.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

froglet posted:

The problem I see is the areas higher density makes any loving sense in WA is virulently opposed by the local NIMBY's. And there is no loving solution that will keep everyone happy unless someone makes insane promises to the locals or we can hold our collective breath for 50 years.

Like if you want to live near the new children's Hospital coz you work there, good loving luck finding anywhere close because the locals have decided "gently caress off, we're full" is the rule of the day. Few subdivisions, few apartments, the locals have made it clear they do not want any more people.

I don't know what the solution is - it's borderline impossible to make them care about other people, the environment and they aren't convinced that maybe it won't be that bad and that maybe that change should be happening closer to the city rather than overburdening the suburbs out the southern growth corridor even more. They don't care about the significant congestion already happening out toward Mandurah, or that maybe from an infrastructure perspective they can tolerate an extra 5,000 extra dwellings better than Cockburn central or wherever the gently caress all these apartment blocks are meant to go up.

Woah now tap the breaks mate. The 5 blokes I spoke to at the local pub say that THE TRUE BLUE AUSTRALIAN DREAM IS A QUARTER ACRE BLOCK WITH A HILLS HOIST AND A COMMODORE V8 IN THE DRIVE WAY!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

Leyonhjelm.jpg

The jar is clearly violating the NAP

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cpt Soban posted:

Woah now tap the breaks mate. The 5 blokes I spoke to at the local pub say that THE TRUE BLUE AUSTRALIAN DREAM IS A QUARTER ACRE BLOCK WITH A HILLS HOIST AND A COMMODORE V8 IN THE DRIVE WAY!

This is my nightmare.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Most apartments built these days are absolute dog poo poo in terms of design and quality so I don't necessarily begrudge people not liking them. I just wish they'd not like them for the actual reasons and not bullshit like:

Quantum Mechanic posted:

"where will the children play?!"

Although there is definitely a case to be made for increasing the amount of public open space overall and also for providing a greater range of age/use/accessibility options for recreation in those spaces.

Re building height: IMO we don't need anything over 6 storeys, but everything within 400m of a train station or tram stop should be between 4-6 storeys (scaling so that higher stuff is located near the PT).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

froglet posted:

In Adelaide the state government got tired of the nimby poo poo ACC stifling everything, and unceremoniously stripped the council's development approval committee of powers of approval for anything more expensive than a dunny block, and gave them to a new body established at the state level, leaving the council with the ability to provide non-binding advice. So far every application "rejected" by the council has gone on to be approved in some form by the state body, to the benefit of the metro area and state.

Does help that Adelaide is highly centralised though, despite trying to keep up with Perth's sprawl.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
You don't need a backyard to play Fortnite

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

racing identity posted:

You don't need a backyard to grow cannabis

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

In Adelaide the state government got tired of the nimby poo poo ACC stifling everything, and unceremoniously stripped the council's development approval committee of powers of approval for anything more expensive than a dunny block, and gave them to a new body established at the state level, leaving the council with the ability to provide non-binding advice. So far every application "rejected" by the council has gone on to be approved in some form by the state body, to the benefit of the metro area and state.

Does help that Adelaide is highly centralised though, despite trying to keep up with Perth's sprawl.

See, I don't think that's a good thing. People should get a say in what their neighbourhood looks like. The whole "state government saying gently caress you" has happened here in WA, particularly with a development right next to the Subiaco train station and while it ultimately got approved by the state government after an ongoing battle with Subiaco council the owners had lost interest in developing the site, the mining boom had ended and the construction industry had turned, so new developments - even ones near desirable rail corridors - became less appealing (i.e. coz they wouldn't make as much money).

Like right now there's a development thats been approved for a ridiculously monstrosity in Scarborough beach, the locals are against it because it's huge, out of place, the local area doesn't have the infrastructure in terms of public transport (from memory they're also against public transport infrastructure, too, lol) and they're right to be concerned because despite all their input they've been ignored.

The balancing act is at what point do the rights of the locals get overridden? What about the rights of all the people in the outer suburbs who are expected to just take all this additional development when the inner suburbs refuse to do the same? Is there a solution? I really don't know.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The solution is that you don’t have the right to be the last person to move into or subdivide in your street.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Because the metro councils were all elected by posh inner city baby boomers who own quaint leafy cottages within the CBD- And cry "UNAUSTRALIAN" the moment a building is proposed over 2 stories high anywhere near their house- because "OVERSHADOWING!" no poo poo grandma, it's called the loving C-B-D.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Aren't all of the remaining quaint leafy cottages falling down by now

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Leaving it to the locals guarantees you'll never get high density housing because NIMBYism locks in hard. Can't have high rises, they'll: block my solar panels, ruin my view, lower my property values!

It should be left to urban planners because they have the scope and the stats. It should definitely not be left to property developers.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Aren't all of the remaining quaint leafy cottages falling down by now

IT'S CALLED HERITAGE LISTING LOOK IT UP *furiously dials to call Today Tonight*

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
3 or 4 bedroom apartments are more expensive than getting a 2 bedroom old weatherboard that needs to be rebuilt or 3-4 bedroom house 2 hours out of the CBD.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The ABC has been told the Australian National University (ANU) system was first compromised last year.

In a statement, the ANU said it had been working with intelligence agencies for several months to minimise the impact of the threat.

"The university has been working in partnership with Australian government agencies for several months to minimise the impact of this threat, and we continue to seek and take advice from Australian government agencies," ANU said.

Cyber Security Minister Angus Taylor said the Australian Cyber Security Centre (ACSC) would continue to assist the ANU in shutting the hackers out.

"The Australian Cyber Security Centre works closely with any affected organisations to reduce the likelihood of threat actors being successful and to help them recover when they are compromised," he said in a statement.

The IT breach has been described by the Australian Strategic Policy Institute's executive director Peter Jennings as "amazingly serious" and an "unacceptable situation".

"It [ANU] probably should have actually been doing a better job at looking after its computer security and I find it astounding to hear that the hackers are still having access inside the ANU system," he said.

"That strikes me as unbelievable."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-06/chinese-hackers-infilitrate-anu-it-systems/9951210

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The ABC has to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Possum: David Lleyjonhelm

Jar: Defamation law