Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

RADAR DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY
I mean, obviously the radar doesn't do the digging, but ground penetrating radar is a thing, and for this purpose could be used to find if there are areas where you could safely widen the tunnel. Probably not an alternative if they're short on time though.

Though I guess if you feed it enough power you could get a microwave beam powerful enough to melt the rock...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1015181893472579584

Footage from a helmet cam. Looks pretty loving cramped and poo poo in there.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Thai cave drama doesn't really hold my interest, but it gives me a little boost to my faith in humanity that so much effort is being put into the rescue of a few.

How many people are going to die before this is all over though?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Everyone dies at the end. :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Perestroika posted:

Elon Musk is going to kill a dozen children.

So nothing new then.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

starkebn posted:

Thai cave drama doesn't really hold my interest, but it gives me a little boost to my faith in humanity that so much effort is being put into the rescue of a few.

How many people are going to die before this is all over though?

All.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

starkebn posted:

Then you lose that faith again when thinking about how this only happens for these one-off situations where they can tie a nice bow on it at the end and go back to their lives, and doesn't extend to chronic issues faced by people every day.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Have they tried just poking a hole in the bottom of the cave and letting the water out?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Much easier that way than lowering the whole road

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Renegret posted:

Have they tried just poking a hole in the bottom of the cave and letting the water out?

I've got a dehumidifier they can borrow

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've got a dehumidifier they can borrow

ohh god idea

my parents have one they could borrow too. It's like 20 years old, it's super energy inefficient but it's built like a tank.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Collateral Damage posted:

I mean, obviously the radar doesn't do the digging, but ground penetrating radar is a thing, and for this purpose could be used to find if there are areas where you could safely widen the tunnel. Probably not an alternative if they're short on time though.

Though I guess if you feed it enough power you could get a microwave beam powerful enough to melt the rock...
Honey, I Microwaved the Kids.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

SelenicMartian posted:

Honey, I Microwaved the Kids.

Use a cured-in-place pipe liner. It's a big sock you inflate with air through the tunnel to seal out the water.

Heating it up to 200 degrees to cure it might make things a little steamy for the kids, but they can go swimming to cool off

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Ok, here's my plan. We pull a pipe into the cave where kids are and start pumping air IN there. Once the pressure increases a bit, it will blow the water out of the way and the kids can just walk back. This will also solve the problem with kids running out of oxygen. Real simple.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Elon Musk needs to put out ads to NAMBLA letting them know that there are 12 Thai ladyboys in a cave, free to the rescuer. Within days there'll be like 100,000 slavering, lust-powered degenerates ("ephebophiles") hacking a hole into the mountain, under his personal on-site direction, to get to the boys. When the kids are rescued, get them out ASAP and then drop a few MOABs on the site. Win both ways!

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Elon Musk needs to put out ads to NAMBLA letting them know that there are 12 Thai ladyboys in a cave, free to the rescuer. Within days there'll be like 100,000 slavering, lust-powered degenerates ("ephebophiles") hacking a hole into the mountain, under his personal on-site direction, to get to the boys. When the kids are rescued, get them out ASAP and then drop a few MOABs on the site. Win both ways!

What the gently caress?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

actually this is an interesting question, can elon tweet them out?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SniperWoreConverse posted:

whys it curved then? I mean the endpoint is too chiseled to be a scythe probably, and it seems like it's too heavy to be one anyway, but it's a weird as gently caress shape. My bet is it was a piece of some other thing they randomly repurposed. That center of gravity looks fucky as hell.

Looks like a vehicle leaf spring to me, my dude.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Musk is South African, right? Surely he has a few contacts back home that know how to keep children alive in dangerous caves.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Collateral Damage posted:

Elon sends a ground penetrating radar to the giant mountain
Searchers use radar and locates escape route for kids
Model S sees a giant rock, its homing instinct kicks in and drives into it at 100mph
Lithium batteries hit flood water, explodes, kills everyone
Tesla shares rise.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Sure are a bunch of pedophiles in every thread on these forums whenever anybody mentions the Thai kids stuck in a cave

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Elon Musk needs to put out ads to NAMBLA ...

Yeah, could you keep this bullshit to the other GBS thread?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Now that someone has actually died trying to rescue these kids, I hope the dumbass coach who led them in becomes the most hated man in Thailand if he lives long enough to get out.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Speaking of people inappropriately wet underground, how is the guy who's bought a missile silo doing?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
has anyone tried politely asking the water to leave

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chitoryu12 posted:

Now that someone has actually died trying to rescue these kids, I hope the dumbass coach who led them in becomes the most hated man in Thailand if he lives long enough to get out.

thats pretty loving aggressive since wasnt the cave full of tourists and the monsoon came out of nowhere?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Remember, ^^^^ there are no accidents. Everything is preventable when you're a goon 5000 miles away with the internet and hind sight.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Blast of Confetti posted:

thats pretty loving aggressive since wasnt the cave full of tourists and the monsoon came out of nowhere?

Yet somehow all the other tourists got out

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Piell posted:

okay yeah you're right he must have done it on purpose

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Synthbuttrange posted:

What if... we made a tunnel... but in water?!?!
Yes! We freeze all the water in the caves, and then drill through the ice. Then they can just walk out and the ice will prevent more water from getting in, like a dam!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Piell posted:

airtight case for making the man a national pariah, break out the torches and pitchforks boys

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Synthbuttrange posted:

https://twitter.com/itvnews/status/1015181893472579584

Footage from a helmet cam. Looks pretty loving cramped and poo poo in there.

Holy poo poo. When you reach the flooded parts, how do you even know where the tunnel continues?

There are also parts where the cavers can walk, but the water's over a child's head. I guess they would have floats?

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
So when's the documentary film being released?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Piell posted:

You're being very unfair: he neither raped the kids, nor ate them - which i understand is the natural tendancy in these situations. He must be commended for his restraint.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Think about "technology that could create an air tunnel." What the gently caress does that mean? Is he going to drill down to them? Is he going to run a long tube through the cave?

My personal belief is that be wants to use air pressure to push the water out of the way, but forgets that the water would then drown the kids and be impossible to traverse.

"Well good news...our hyperloop air tunnel works."

Not defending Ol' Musky but drilling down to them, even if they can't make the tunnel wide enough for them to escape, is still a good idea.

Right now, the only way to get anything to the kids is for a human to drag it in via a 6+ hour underwater death maze, and if there needs to be a continuous supply effort for months via that method, it's only a matter of time before more divers die.

And while I understand that the air quality isn't immediately dangerous, the first death is directly attributed to the diver releasing too much of their own air into the chamber and running out on the way back, which would seem to speak to an ongoing fight to keep the air breathable.

Seems like supply tunnels are, if not technically necessary, certainly something worth pursuing.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

chitoryu12 posted:

Your lack of empathy and apparent need to shame and punish make me sad for you. The coach is like 25 years old, not even a full adult brain. And I'd imagine he's also feeling pretty bad about himself.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

porktree posted:

Your lack of empathy and apparent need to shame and punish make me sad for you. The coach is like 25 years old, not even a full adult brain. And I'd imagine he's also feeling pretty bad about himself.

If any of the kids die during the rescue attempt but he survives, they better put him on suicide watch

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Azathoth posted:

Not defending Ol' Musky but drilling down to them, even if they can't make the tunnel wide enough for them to escape, is still a good idea.

Right now, the only way to get anything to the kids is for a human to drag it in via a 6+ hour underwater death maze, and if there needs to be a continuous supply effort for months via that method, it's only a matter of time before more divers die.

And while I understand that the air quality isn't immediately dangerous, the first death is directly attributed to the diver releasing too much of their own air into the chamber and running out on the way back, which would seem to speak to an ongoing fight to keep the air breathable.

Seems like supply tunnels are, if not technically necessary, certainly something worth pursuing.

you must have missed an update: the air quality is very poor bordering on dangerous right now.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

you must have missed an update: the air quality is very poor bordering on dangerous right now.

Crap, noted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

woulndt it be very-difficult-bordering-on-impossible to detect where on the surface they needed to drill to create tunnels down to the cavern and then do so while ensuring they don't just collapse everything?