Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Americans will enthusiastically take heavy, brutal jobs if the pay is right: see the oil boom. Every working class man in the USA decamped to Alaska to live 10 to a trailer and operate heavy machinery in a snow storm. Because they were paid handsomely to do it.

In the same way, Americans will pick fruit and man fishing boats if paid well enough to compensate for it being a 6 months of the year job that destroys your body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Just lol at how mad progressives get when they have to pay minimum wage instead of hiring illegal immigrants.

The crab pickers aren't illegal immigrants, they get (got) work visas for the crab season and then go home. The problem isn't wages as much as it is the fact that there's an explosion of work during the season and nothing the rest of the year.

Also the people mad about this are Trump voters. Not quite mad enough to acknowledge they hosed up, but still mad.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Bird in a Blender posted:

Are crab fishermen in Maryland some untapped bastion of liberalism I haven’t heard about? Tough immigration policies hit like every part of the agricultural sector in the US, and agriculture is typically Republican.

No. That area voted overwhelmingly for Trump, which is why it was funny listening to them talk to NPR about their plight. They used to get special temporary visas to bring in workers, but that got canned.

It’s funny because it was Trump supporters, but it sounds like that system was pretty good. Workers were brought in for seasonal jobs and went back home afterwards. Businesses get their needed labor and the Mexicans probably make a year’s worth of wages in only a few months. So you’re satisfying labor needs for jobs Americans won’t perform while at the same time keeping conservatives happy since all those brown people go back home afterwards. But no, I guess it was never about jobs with Trump.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There are pros and cons to just about any policy. Those people who think that Trump are completely bad are simply childish and immature. Proper rationalists know that Trump have both bad and good points.

For my part, Trump has my unrelenting loyalty for his defence of Asian-Americans. A great supporter of my people.

(And yes, I am aware of and acknowledge his numerous flaws)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Americans will enthusiastically take heavy, brutal jobs if the pay is right: see the oil boom. Every working class man in the USA decamped to Alaska to live 10 to a trailer and operate heavy machinery in a snow storm. Because they were paid handsomely to do it.

In the same way, Americans will pick fruit and man fishing boats if paid well enough to compensate for it being a 6 months of the year job that destroys your body.

Or the mining boom down under. People take utmost pride in it. Or hell, look at the way people practical worship coal mining both here and in the USA despite it being horrible, incredibly polluting, and obsolete compared to every other energy source let alone renewables.

Agriculture could be the same overnight if farmers and conglomerates were willing to actually pay wages to make it worthwhile, but they'll let their fields rot and go bankrupt before they even try.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Farmers are utter loving scum, hope this helps.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

This is an interesting article by a writer who attempts to blame banks, politicians, and his parents for causing him to live in six figure student loan debt. But reading closely, there may be another culprit.

quote:

In the summer of 2010, I completed school at New York University, where I received a B.A. and an M.A. in English literature, with more than $100,000 of debt, for which my father was a cosigner. By this time, my father was still unemployed and my mother had been diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer.

Maybe the author was unaware his family didn't have unlimited resources?

quote:

My debt was the result, in equal measure, of a chain of rotten luck and a system that is an abject failure by design. My parents never lived extravagantly. In the first years of their marriage, my father drove a cab. When they had children and my father started a career in the auto industry, we became firmly middle class, never wanting for anything, even taking vacations once a year to places like Myrtle Beach or Miami. Still, there was usually just enough money to cover the bills—car leases, a mortgage, groceries. My sister and I both attended public school. How much things cost was a constant discussion. Freshman year of high school, when I lost my yearbook, which cost $40, my mother very nearly wept. College, which cost roughly $50,000 a year, was the only time that money did not seem to matter. “We’ll find a way to pay for it,” my parents said repeatedly, and if we couldn’t pay for it immediately, there was always a bank somewhere willing to give us a loan.

He comes so close to self-awareness.

quote:

I’ve spent a great deal of time in the last decade shifting the blame for my debt. Whose fault was it? My devoted parents, for encouraging me to attend a school they couldn’t afford? The banks, which should have never lent money to people who clearly couldn’t pay it back to begin with, continuously exploiting the hope of families like mine, and quick to exploit us further once that hope disappeared? Or was it my fault for not having the foresight to realize it was a mistake to spend roughly $200,000 on a school where, in order to get my degree, I kept a journal about reading Virginia Woolf?

You don't have to pay $50k a year to become a writer!

quote:

I had studied English because I wanted to be a writer. I never had an expectation of becoming rich. I didn’t care about money.My M.A. fed an intellectual curiosity that eventually led me to newspapers, and I don’t regret that my translation of “The Dream of the Rood” from Old English to contemporary vernacular was not a terribly marketable or even applicable skill.

This guy.

quote:

I refused to go to the doctor in the hope that my condition might worsen into a more serious infection that, even if it didn’t kill me, might force someone to at last lavish me with pity. I coughed up a not insignificant portion of yellowish fluid before my father and I entered the restaurant. We sat at a table, and I frowned at the forms he handed me. I started the conversation by asking, “Theoretically, if I were to, say, kill myself, what would happen to the debt?”

“I would have to pay it myself,” my father said, in the same tone he would use a few minutes later to order eggs.

Perhaps it is Silicon Valley's fault.

quote:

I will reiterate that I am a thirty-year-old married man with more than $100,000 of debt, who makes less each year than what he owes. Buying a pair of pants is a major financial decision for me. I do not think myself eligible in any sense of the word, nor do I find my debt to be amusing merely on a conversational level. Still, I felt as if in ten years, the debt hadn’t changed, but the world had, or at least the world’s view of it. This thing, this twenty-first-century blight that had been the source of great ruin and sadness for my family was now so normal—so basic—that it had been co-opted by the wellness industry of Silicon Valley.

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/looks-like-debt-to-me-miller

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 6, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
If he was a better writer I bet he wouldn't be so poor.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Agriculture could be the same overnight if farmers and conglomerates were willing to actually pay wages to make it worthwhile, but they'll let their fields rot and go bankrupt before they even try.

Farmers have to take their commodities to market where the product is sold at the market rate. What incentive do they have to spend more money to make the product when they won’t recover that cost? It’s better to let it die and get paid on insurance until the scarcity raises the market price. Good luck when you can’t compete with cheap imports where labor is paid a fraction and is happy with it.

Dramatic shifts in labor availability and price like these can happen in a months time, growing a field of berries takes a season. Few people need strawberries so much to pay white people pickin prices, now there’s an oversupply compared to he price people will pay, so gently caress it and let it go. You’ll lose less money by letting them die on the vine.

I’m sure some farmers are bad at running the business but good at growing food, but I think the majority of them are just doing the best they can with a flawed structure.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
The whole "crops will rot in the fields" thing is propaganda that goes back as long as there have been farmers. Even Woody Guthrie wrote about it:

The crops are all in and the peaches are rotting
The oranges are packed in their creosote dumps

A good year for a crop is a bad year for farmers, and if the crop is bumper enough then the supply drives the price down far enough that it's not worth it to pick the excess, so you leave it there and plow it under.

You could use loving slave labor and not pay workers anything and there'd still be years when you let the crop rot because it wasn't worth picking. "But the crops will rot!" is not an argument for paying slave wages.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
BWM: Spending hundreds on lootboxes to see your mobile game character in a skimpy outfit, and encouraging others to do the same!

quote:

Aah yeah, I remember that. And then I was like gently caress! So I got more gems and spent that too. Nothing. So I was super pissed and bought like a $30 gem pack that had 2x the amount. Burned through it, NOTHING! Finally I said gently caress it and bought 24k gems for $100. 6000 gems later (2 pulls) I got it, along with rare S weapon costume. You know what? That costume was worth every penny! In village, I click the camera icon up top to switch to close-up view (no it’s not a record button) and watch that rear end prance around like a shameless slave.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NexonDarknessRises/comments/8wh6gi/kingsbane_costume/e1vkwlc/

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I knew a guy who played female characters because “I don’t want to look at a dudes rear end all day”

Ugh

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

If he was a better writer I bet he wouldn't be so poor.
The reality of creative work is that being a better businessperson is more important than your quality as a creative. Part of being an effective businessperson requires understanding the reality of your position and how to leverage it though...

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

George H.W. oval office posted:

I knew a guy who played female characters because “I don’t want to look at a dudes rear end all day”

Ugh

Tbf this is why I always play males, don't want to look at nasty female video game rear end

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Budgie posted:

BWM: Spending hundreds on lootboxes to see your mobile game character in a skimpy outfit, and encouraging others to do the same!

https://www.reddit.com/r/NexonDarknessRises/comments/8wh6gi/kingsbane_costume/e1vkwlc/

Yeah these things aren’t even random. They have all the information to see how much money you’ve put in and then drip feed you the things you want to keep the money flowing in. You put in $30? Sorry, no skimpy outfits for you. Another $100? Sure here it is. And the whole time you feel like you’ve won something

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Tbf this is why I always play males, don't want to look at nasty female video game rear end
username/post c-c-c-combo

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
If you want farmers to pay more than minimum wage, then you need to be comfortable with price supports to ensure they can remain profitable while doing so. Most agricultural products have a global market. Because that global market sets the price without regard to what problems a particular region may be experiencing, they are competing with countries that have wages far lower than the US and fewer regulations around pesticides, herbicides, and worker safety. We're can either accept the idea that a lot less food will grow here and the strategic and economic consequences of that, hire immigrant labor, or protect our industry. I think price supports are far less exploitative while leaving us with a domestic agricultural industry that we need for strategic and economic reasons.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

therobit posted:

If you want farmers to pay more than minimum wage, then you need to be comfortable with price supports to ensure they can remain profitable while doing so. Most agricultural products have a global market. Because that global market sets the price without regard to what problems a particular region may be experiencing, they are competing with countries that have wages far lower than the US and fewer regulations around pesticides, herbicides, and worker safety. We're can either accept the idea that a lot less food will grow here and the strategic and economic consequences of that, hire immigrant labor, or protect our industry. I think price supports are far less exploitative while leaving us with a domestic agricultural industry that we need for strategic and economic reasons.
Fake news; we only need coal.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

SiGmA_X posted:

Fake news; we only need coal.

Can we just fuel our power plants directly with the bodies of the poor instead of indirectly? I feel like there is some inefficiency here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

therobit posted:

If you want farmers to pay more than minimum wage, then you need to be comfortable with price supports

We have those, soooooo...

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

therobit posted:

Can we just fuel our power plants directly with the bodies of the poor instead of indirectly? I feel like there is some inefficiency here.
____________________/\______________

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
As if goons eat anything grown on a farm

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

This is an interesting article by a writer who attempts to blame banks, politicians, and his parents for causing him to live in six figure student loan debt. But reading closely, there may be another culprit.

I rolled my eyes when I got to to the loan figures and his degrees, but you're crazy if you don't blame banks, politicians, and baby boomers for the student loan mess.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

As if goons eat anything grown on a farm

chicken nuggets are grown on farms

:colbert:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Higgy posted:

chicken nuggets are grown on farms

:colbert:

This chicken tendie dipping sauce came from a special type of farm. That's why it's called 'ranch'

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

We have those, soooooo...

Yet most of the price supports are in the form of loans or insurance programs that cost money to the farmer, and the direct subsidies mostly do not go to the types of crops that still need a lot of labor input relative to output. Corn and Soybean subsidies are not really an immigration issue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

therobit posted:

Yet most of the price supports are in the form of loans or insurance programs that cost money to the farmer, and the direct subsidies mostly do not go to the types of crops that still need a lot of labor input relative to output. Corn and Soybean subsidies are not really an immigration issue.

Farmers get more from subsidies than whatever premiums they have to pay to access them, just lol if you don't think senators from the corn states control Washington.

They won't pay a living wage until they're made to, subsidies are a necessary but not sufficient condition for fair wages because without some kind of coercion to force them agribusiness will just keep the extra money for itself.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Personal Finance Subreddit posted:

Hi, not sure why it took me so long to find this sub.

I’m 32, make $130k/year, and have very poor spending habits. I impulse buy a lot and Amazon Prime is killing me. I’m not saving much because I don’t have a plan. This sub is giving me major anxiety.

$750/mo car payment (2% interest loan)
$2700/mo mortgage (3.7% loan)
$500-750/mo on food (can’t cook)
$500/mo on other expenses
no other debt

6.5% 401k + 3.5% matched

might save $1k/mo and leave it in my checking until I throw it in crypto or another dipping stock, which always results in capital losses

got an undisciplined portfolio. Always playing with volatile stocks.

800+ credit score (I think?)

Ideally, how much should I save? Should I save for another house? How should I invest now? I see IRA mentioned a lot here but I never did that. Still embarrassingly ignorant with that.

How much can I use for traveling? How do I find balance?

How the hell does someone get out of the mentality of always wanting the best brand/quality of everything? I don’t even know how I developed this expensive taste because my parents were always very frugal.

Anyone holding cash in anticipation for another 2008 market crash? I’ve bought some gold and silver bullions — anyone buying physical metals? Prices haven’t gone anywhere in a few years.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8wkp7c/32yo_with_expensive_taste_and_poor_spending_habits/

At least he seems super receptive to advise in the comments. He knows he has a spending problem.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Sock The Great posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8wkp7c/32yo_with_expensive_taste_and_poor_spending_habits/

At least he seems super receptive to advise in the comments. He knows he has a spending problem.

"I spend all my money on the worst possible invesments. Should I not?"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I know his investments are supposed to be the big BWM there, but

$500-750/mo on food (can’t cook)

lol

This is his excuse:

quote:

Sounds like learning to cook is the common suggestion here. I just never thought it was worth it to learn. Takes an hour or two to cook and clean and only 15 min to eat.

This is how he thinks cooking works.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's how I cook because I like good food. But then I normally eat that meal for quite a few days so it averages out.

But yeah, dude needs to learn to cook. Everyone does, actually, it ain't that difficult.

Long story short, I went a couple months without cooking a thing - my expenditures were astronomical. It was dumb.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I mean, he's not totally wrong. Even simple dishes above the bare minimum of boxed pasta can take over an hour if you account for prep and clean up, not to mention searching for recipes and shopping for ingredients. But he does neglect the time dividends of leftovers, assuming you make multiple portions. Plus home cooked food is generally much healthier.

And cooking at home is cheaper, no doubt, but if you buy good fresh ingredients regularly and make interesting dishes with a wide range of ingredients it's not as cheap as the rice-and-beans-errday crowd make it out to be. But it's also so much more enjoyable to both make and eat, and isn't solely for sustenance.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm probably going to spend a couple of hours making tacos tonight, but that's a hobby meal. People like this guy need to know that cooking can be as simple as throwing a frozen fish in a pan and putting some rice and frozen vegetables in a steamer.

Cooking purists are wrong too though, because modern households (fewer stay-at-home spouses to cook every night) and the economy (specialization means you do what you're good at and then pay someone else to make your food) make eating out and frozen meals basically a necessity. Most people can't reasonably cook every night. But if you never do, then you spend money like this guy and get fat.

e: I consider making a sandwich cooking

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 6, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Is making a hot dog cooking?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Sure, why the hell not? Everyone needs to have some "emergency food" options that are cheap. As long as it's not your go-to meal all the time, nothing wrong with making a hotdog.

It's about keeping yourself fed while keeping costs reasonably low.

I mean, there's all sorts of options other than just hot dogs, but the great thing about cooking is once you learn some basic skills, it's easy to turn out a more-than-just-a-hot-dog meal.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
This guy is hardly in the red because he spends $20 a day on food. "Cook cheap meals and don't eat out" is advice for people making $25-40k a year with income = expenses.

This guy just bought too much house, car, and really stupid bad Investments

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I bet his food expenses are way higher than he thinks they are.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

BMan posted:

____________________/\______________

just want to highlight the underappreciated sc2 joke

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Maybe the author was unaware his family didn't have unlimited resources?

He comes so close to self-awareness.

You don't have to pay $50k a year to become a writer!

This guy.

Perhaps it is Silicon Valley's fault.

https://thebaffler.com/salvos/looks-like-debt-to-me-miller

This is remarkably similar to a post I read a few years ago, but the twist was he revealed he had gotten all his student loans in 1992. He also had a somewhat steady job for 10 years but didn't pay them off (and somehow defaulted on them). So his $20,000 ballooned up to $100,000 in 201X so he felt the millenials plight.

Harry fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

totalnewbie posted:

I bet his food expenses are way higher than he thinks they are.

Almost certainly. Most people don't track their spending to the penny and it is very easy to overlook snack purchases since their individual dollar value can be so small. It's like how spending $5.33 on Red Bull every working day will add up to $1,385.80 over the course of a year. If you're making $15/hour that represents 4.4% of your gross income. That poo poo is significant, yet most people will rationalize it away as if it were nothing.

I do love that his mortgage has a higher rate than his truck (I assume it is a truck). He also doesn't list insurance nor gas, and I do not believe for a second that fits under his $500/mo misc expenses.