Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pm me the link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Tollymain posted:

pm me the link

http://www.screencuisine.net/hlcomic/index.php?date=2005-05-01 ?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CJacobs posted:

I liked the idea of John falling in love with Cortana and Cortana gaining humanity/sentience because it could have been a real cool little scifi side plot thing that added some depth to both characters... but it was handled so hamfistedly that they pretty much squashed any chance of it being natural or well-written.

Halo always got away with having a pretty weak story and shallow characterization by having solid voice work and a sense of humor. I always felt that everything post-bungie involvement forgot the sense of fun that is inherent to the halo franchise and they doubled down on the drama without fixing any of the glaring plot issues that have plagued the games since day one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Half-Life gave us Gordon Frohman :colbert:

The sausage king of Chicago?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

There's a gif of dad Kratos looking at a computer and then trashing it in disgust. How come none made this but with doomguy?

For reference:
https://imgur.com/jmpglTO

The Kins posted:

Good question. I might have to remedy this, actually.
Good evening. I'm no 3D animator, but I think I can say I've remedied this?

https://i.imgur.com/3tBd446.gifv

Retro Variant
Dark Variant

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Kins posted:

I think this makes you a 3D animator now, whether you like it or not. From now on your life will be full with people asking for free arts (or free animations in this case) in exchange for exposure.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Retro Variant
Dark Variant

Between this, BLT Division and coming back from the RET4RD pages, is now pure gold.

:discourse:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

The Kins posted:

Retro Variant
Dark Variant

"Dark Variant"

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

chiasaur11 posted:

The sausage king of Chicago?

I’m glad I’m not the only one who immediately thought this.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i meant the fanfic

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Kins posted:

Retro Variant
Dark Variant

You're doing the Doomslayer's work

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Spatial posted:

VEGA: Good morning Doomslayer. What will the first sequence of the day be?

Doomslayer: VEGA load up ImpMan please.

Doomslayer: Could you kick up the ah, IDDQD please?

This is amazing and I love this

Sorry that I'm late to the party, but has it been brought up that Do4m actually references celeryman in-game?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

:chanpop::chanpop::chanpop:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
e: wrong thread lol

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
how does this game keep getting better

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Morter posted:

Sorry that I'm late to the party, but has it been brought up that Do4m actually references celeryman in-game?

jesus

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Morter posted:

:piss:

I had no idea, that's incredible.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How is that a celeryman reference? I’m dumb and don’t get it.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Kilometers Davis posted:

4d3d3d3

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Kilometers Davis posted:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Computer, can you generate a nude Doom Slayer?

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Morter posted:

GOTY 2016-2666

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gnome de plume posted:

He's got a backup of Vega in his pocket, if he got booted back up to have a chat now and then that'd be all right.

Portal 2 did that really well.

I'm not saying have more cutscenes, but you can add characterization or humor in subtle ways (see: the first halo game, portal, portal 2, half-life, half-life 2, etc.) without stopping the character's movement and forcing you to watch a cutscene (most fps)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Spatial posted:

VEGA: Good morning Doomslayer. What will the first sequence of the day be?

Doomslayer: VEGA load up ImpMan please.

Doomslayer: Could you kick up the ah, IDDQD please?

loving lol

Add sequence: OYSTER

Morter posted:

WHAAAAAAT

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 6, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

Examples of why halo sucked and half life was better

Yes because Half-life didn't have barney or alyx ???? :psyduck:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think the best thing about DOOM is that it goes against the trend of adding characterization. Doomguy's motives are displayed through his action, not dialogue. He smashes poo poo. The most emotive moment in the game is when he fist-bumps the little Doomguy Doll. I'd like to see Doom Eternal continue the trend of big science people talking and complaining all the while Doomguy never stopping to listen and constantly shooting. I find that to be cathartic vs all the relationship building in other games. I'm not against relationship building, but I don't want it in DOOM.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Meanwhile, back in 2005...

(There really should be a little Doomguy in the back laughing at them)

Actions speak louder than words, and if a picture is worth a thousand of 'em, how long would a ten-hour game be?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

Meanwhile, back in 2005...

(There really should be a little Doomguy in the back laughing at them)

Actions speak louder than words, and if a picture is worth a thousand of 'em, how long would a ten-hour game be?

221 words or less.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

A.o.D. posted:

221 words or less.

DOOM: The Movie - As Told By Twitter

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I think the best thing about DOOM is that it goes against the trend of adding characterization. Doomguy's motives are displayed through his action, not dialogue. He smashes poo poo. The most emotive moment in the game is when he fist-bumps the little Doomguy Doll. I'd like to see Doom Eternal continue the trend of big science people talking and complaining all the while Doomguy never stopping to listen and constantly shooting. I find that to be cathartic vs all the relationship building in other games. I'm not against relationship building, but I don't want it in DOOM.

Half-life doesn't have Gordon EVER talk, but has lots of little moments with npcs. Good balance.

Chell also NEVER speaks, but GLADOS does.

I really like the idea of doomguy grunting and then people responding like he said something, like green acres.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 6, 2018

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

DOOM: The Movie - As Told By Twitter

I was thinking more Repercussions of Evil

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A Doom movie told by twitter is basically every demon being offended by Doomguy.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ban the demons already jack

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zaphod42 posted:

Half-life doesn't have Gordon EVER talk, but has lots of little moments with npcs. Good balance.

Chell also NEVER speaks, but GLADOS does.

I really like the idea of doomguy grunting and then people responding like he said something, like green acres.

Yea, but those games already do that, let that be their thing. What other game besides Doom shows contempt for modern relationship building the same way? That’s a key part of why the new Doom is so refreshing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, but those games already do that, let that be their thing. What other game besides Doom shows contempt for modern relationship building the same way? That’s a key part of why the new Doom is so refreshing.

Not really? There's still forced cutscenes in doom.

I mean, tons of games don't give a poo poo about relationships or character development. Everything from Dark Souls to Mario Kart. Its the default in gaming.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Zaphod42 posted:

Not really? There's still forced cutscenes in doom.

I mean, tons of games don't give a poo poo about relationships or character development. Everything from Dark Souls to Mario Kart. Its the default in gaming.

The true revolution of Doom forced cut-scenes is that it actually played out out most players act.

Boring computer screen with info dump? Crush it.
Villain trying to monologue-ing at you? Shoot him/her.
Dude going on how important something is? Smash it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BexGu posted:

The true revolution of Doom forced cut-scenes is that it actually played out out most players act.

Boring computer screen with info dump? Crush it.
Villain trying to monologue-ing at you? Shoot him/her.
Dude going on how important something is? Smash it.

Yeah, and I agree with the person earlier who said you should really have a skip cutscene / renegade button that has you just insta-smash whatever is around.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I really wish that during the scene where you're locked in Hayden's office, it didn't take away your weapons, and instead just let you keep wasting your ammo shooting at his shield while he drones on about whatever the gently caress. Maybe after doing so much damage he'll make a comment now and again about you wasting so much ammo.

Then I can at least express my frustrations by giving him a lead shower from my minigun instead of running and jumping across every surface and teabagging the everliving gently caress out of his desk until he shuts up

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

chaosapiant posted:

The interesting thing is that it actually does a really good job of characterising him without the dialogue. I mentioned earlier the first filter where he actually interacts before smashing and you can practically hear his thought process. "What is this? Can I disable it? Should I bother? Nah, gently caress it time to engage the mighty boot." He's intelligent but applies his mind exclusively to getting to more demons to murder as quickly as possible. He's impatient when his time is being wasted (smashing the monitor), has a sense of irony and dislike of hypocrisy (looks at the corpse at in the elevator during Hayden's speech about it being worth it, rolls eyes, smashes communicator) and a sense of whimsy (the doomboy fistbump complete with finger wiggle). The Doomguy is a fully realised and engaging character without speaking a single word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
agreed.

doomguy wouldnt have a twitter

it would either be an instagram or a vine. :rip:

selfies with his pile-o-skulls