Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

THE BAR posted:

Googling "stencil" sure has a.. Surprising first example.

:rock:
+
:sonia:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Basically think if a girl on screen talking to her vagina is a thing you're on board for when thinking about watching Big Mouth:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Fried Watermelon posted:

The one on netflix about middle school kids going through puberty is pretty bad

I only managed to get through a couple of episodes of Big Mouth. It could have actually been a pretty funny series, since middle school is an awkward time and there haven't been many shows about kids that age. But it basically all seemed to be BONERS! PERIODS! BONERS! It just seemed that they hadn't bothered to write proper characters or storylines, just a compilation of gross stuff about growing up.

The animation style doesn't help. It's super ugly to watch.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I liked Big Mouth, but I did like a lot of the actors going into it, so that might have biased me.

American Dad had a good transformation. Season 1 was all Bush and Patriot Act jokes. Then they pivoted to kooky CIA invention plots which got pretty entertaining - they also started abusing the least interesting character, Klaus, which made him funnier. Then they started over-building characters that would get a total of 1-2 minutes screen time - do full fleshed out stories for essentially extras. I feel like maybe that's more common now, but I thought it was really clever when they started doing that. I also think Francine is the best cartoon sitcom mom.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

francine is the best cartoon sitcom mom because she's a weirdo and as flawed as the rest of the characters instead of being the voice of reason/debbie downer/the smart one with maybe a few tiny one-shot flaws that don't mean anything (marge's gambling)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bust Rodd posted:

The Cleveland show is good fight me.

It's one of my guiltiest cartoon pleasures. Despite coming from different partners, the family actually seems to ultimately love and care about each other which is in huge contrast to family guy which is a mean-spirited show. I don't know if I'd call it "good" though. I wish it had had another couple seasons. Not many though. They almost always had one laugh out loud joke per episode to their credit.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Captain Lavender posted:

I liked Big Mouth, but I did like a lot of the actors going into it, so that might have biased me.

American Dad had a good transformation. Season 1 was all Bush and Patriot Act jokes. Then they pivoted to kooky CIA invention plots which got pretty entertaining - they also started abusing the least interesting character, Klaus, which made him funnier. Then they started over-building characters that would get a total of 1-2 minutes screen time - do full fleshed out stories for essentially extras. I feel like maybe that's more common now, but I thought it was really clever when they started doing that. I also think Francine is the best cartoon sitcom mom.

The one where they milk Roger for their super special church mayonnaise or the one with Bad Larry is probably my favourite.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
My biggest problem with American Dad is that probably 80% of the episodes or more are based on either: Roger coming up with a persona to do some scheme, Roger doing that to screw over the family, Steve being a thick headed jerk (possibly from influence of Roger) that he later has to redeem himself for, or some combination of the three. It's so formulaic that for me it overrides the shows other qualities.

I was bored and watched all of Big Mouth. It's... 1/2 a decent surreal and subversive Wonder Years, 1/2 overly vulgar and tryhard edgy. The result is something that's... okay at times, awful at others. The first episode is particularly rough. The whole thing would be better if the hormone monsters were 1. not so prevalent 2. not so vulgar and 3. a manifestation of each kid's personality and hormones rather than just being a blanket interpretation of all male/female hormones.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

And if they just got rid of Coach Steve all together.

I've watched the entirety of Big Mouth, and it certain has funny parts, but it really doesn't hold up on a rewatch.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

American Dad has its ups and downs but when it's good it's incredible. The christmas episodes, the jeff in space episode, "the one that got away", the hot tub episode.. they really go all out with crazy experimental stuff now and then. And forget Seth Macfarlane, Scott Grimes has the golden singing voice.

Re: Simpsons, My "gently caress this" episode was the one where the lisa's cat died and they got a series of replacement cats that also died in front of her. They end the episode with lisa getting a cat that looks exactly like the original one and gives it the same name, so everything's back to normal in the end. They even make a joke with Skinner saying "well that's convenient" and lisa says "it sure is armand tamzarian". It stuck me as pointlessly cruel - there was a shot with a cat dead in the fish tank that was exceptionally creepy. And this wasn't even the main plot of the episode, which was Bart and Homer doing battle bots or something. Maybe I'm just overly fond of cats but it crossed a line in a really shallow and cheap manner.

There was a weird line in a different episode, the one where marge becomes a realtor which was otherwise decent if I remember - Where marge feels guilty about selling ned the murder house and goes, "if anything goes wrong just call me.. or you can beat me!" The idea that marge feels so guilty that she's asking to be beat up is creepy isn't it? Is it just me?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought she said "beep me" ... as in pagers. It's been a long time since I've seen it though.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

dracky posted:

American Dad has its ups and downs but when it's good it's incredible. The christmas episodes, the jeff in space episode, "the one that got away", the hot tub episode.. they really go all out with crazy experimental stuff now and then. And forget Seth Macfarlane, Scott Grimes has the golden singing voice.

Re: Simpsons, My "gently caress this" episode was the one where the lisa's cat died and they got a series of replacement cats that also died in front of her. They end the episode with lisa getting a cat that looks exactly like the original one and gives it the same name, so everything's back to normal in the end. They even make a joke with Skinner saying "well that's convenient" and lisa says "it sure is armand tamzarian". It stuck me as pointlessly cruel - there was a shot with a cat dead in the fish tank that was exceptionally creepy. And this wasn't even the main plot of the episode, which was Bart and Homer doing battle bots or something. Maybe I'm just overly fond of cats but it crossed a line in a really shallow and cheap manner.

There was a weird line in a different episode, the one where marge becomes a realtor which was otherwise decent if I remember - Where marge feels guilty about selling ned the murder house and goes, "if anything goes wrong just call me.. or you can beat me!" The idea that marge feels so guilty that she's asking to be beat up is creepy isn't it? Is it just me?

That episode bothered me as well. It didn't seem funny or interesting as a plot, just cruel like you said.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

dracky posted:

Yeah the line is "beep", success in 1997 meant having a pager.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

dracky posted:

dead cats episode

Yet if this was an American Dad plot with Steve losing more and more cat in zany ways it'd probably be great.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
There was that episode where Steve found that cat...

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Also the evil clone of Steve juggling the decapitated heads of cats and taking bites out of them

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

American Dad having a character whose entire shtick is that they constantly reinvent themselves and can thus be anything the plot needs them to be and serve as a vehicle for the other characters to get sucked into crazy situations was a shrewd move. That and having Stan work at the CIA, which someone mentioned earlier is another vehicle for plausibly (within the show's universe) getting the characters involved in stuff that would otherwise seem improbable at best. You rarely run into those nagging questions where you're like "How does Homer possibly have the time/resources for this poo poo, shouldn't he have lost his job by now?"

Also here's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoeBAHk8Qm4

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

dracky posted:

I mean the concept and resolution of that plot isn't a terrible idea on paper, especially as an overarching jab at TV standards of everything returning to the status quo, but execution is everything, and they were failing at that by then.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean the concept and resolution of that plot isn't a terrible idea on paper, especially as an overarching jab at TV standards of everything returning to the status quo, but execution is everything, and they were failing at that by then.

They'd done that gag many time by that point and even acknowledged it was old by having Principal Tamzarian walk past.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I saw two episodes about 10 years ago and have up on post season 8 since.

I remember Bart goes to fat camp, and Frank Grimes Jr looking for revenge

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Angelwolf posted:

I saw two episodes about 10 years ago and have up on post season 8 since.

I remember Bart goes to fat camp, and Frank Grimes Jr looking for revenge

"He happened to like hookers, okay?" was the low point for a long time.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
That also reminds me of the time that Bart got into Juzz. Bart some how is an amazing drummer, he starts drumming at a jazz club, lisa gets frustrated because understandably nobody gave a poo poo about jazz when it was her. So she starts looking after sick animals. by the end of the episode she's adopted basically every animal within a 20 mile radius including a tiger which attacks Bart, fucks up his arm and stops him being able to drum any more. I don't remember what happens to the animals after that. But the lisa story for that one totally merged with the "Lisa keeps accidentally killing her pet cats" one in my head.

ihatechesspieces
Jan 2, 2013

Well, gosh, it just HAS to be this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTxoj_ErIc

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
That's far too animated and vivacious to be New Simpsons.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Scudworth posted:

Yeah the line is "beep", success in 1997 meant having a pager.

Oh dang I guess I heard it wrong, that would make more sense. Aww I've been making an idiot out of myself :(

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

sweet geek swag posted:

"He happened to like hookers, okay?" was the low point for a long time.

Jesus Christ. That’s terrible.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.

And here I thought I was the only one with Simpsons Cartoon Studio as a kid.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Communist Walrus posted:

American Dad having a character whose entire shtick is that they constantly reinvent themselves and can thus be anything the plot needs them to be and serve as a vehicle for the other characters to get sucked into crazy situations was a shrewd move.

They definitely use Roger as a crutch though, to the point where it kind of ruins the show for me. I said it before but probably somewhere around 80% of all American Dad episodes are Roger having a new scheme and often it's to screw over the family.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They should drop the talking fish entirely.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
i love klaus, but there should never be an episode built entirely around him

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

More Barry Gary Oldman, please.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lowest point was probably when skinner and smithers secretly dated for a while and when krabapple found out she got revenge by banging burns

the "lisa joins PETA and agrees to murder the family pets" b-plot was godawful too

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Now I'm pretty sure you're bullshitting but statistically speaking those episodes probably did happen at some point

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

wrong

YeahTubaMike posted:

i love klaus, but there should never be an episode built entirely around him

and wrong

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Phlegmish posted:

Now I'm pretty sure you're bullshitting but statistically speaking those episodes probably did happen at some point

gotta be honest it's not as good as my earlier pitch

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

worst part was probably when otto was pimping out ms hoover from the school bus and lijsa had a huge moral crisis about whether she should report him for promoting prostitution in a loving school bus or look the other way so that two struggling adults could get by in our hosed-up society

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the b-plot where homer started a knockoff kwik-e-mart titled "pastel pantry" and wound up accidentally committing securities fraud was pretty good though

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

nope

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Why is the Chef Returns episode any different than their average quality? The jokes would be eye-rollers about Christianity, but Scientology is legitimately dangerous and needed to be publicly insulted. Goons are getting weirdly religious in their 30s because they're embarrassed for posting internet atheism as a kid

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
woukld you rather watch a new episode of the simpsons or a new episode of family guy

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Blast of Confetti posted:

woukld you rather watch a new episode of the simpsons or a new episode of family guy

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Analytic Engine posted:

Why is the Chef Returns episode any different than their average quality? The jokes would be eye-rollers about Christianity, but Scientology is legitimately dangerous and needed to be publicly insulted. Goons are getting weirdly religious in their 30s because they're embarrassed for posting internet atheism as a kid

they made edgy jokes about pedophilia