Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Dungeon Fighter Online doesn't let you customize the looks of a character since each class has a specific design to them, but you can get avatar items that let you change how they look. So of course this is what my Exorcist looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my scout in tf2 had the cheater halo, small yellow wings, and a white polo undershirt. i miss angel scout

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember how I got cheated out of having the TF2 halo because I saw a friend playing tf2 and hit the join friend button and it turned out he was on an idle server

I'm owned

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I'd buy her a beer

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh no now i'm thinking about how tf2 was the progenitor of all this hosed up loot box and hat economy poo poo that is the status quo of the videogame world in 2018

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't think TF2 had cosmetic stuff when I played it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

there were some changes made after you stopped playing my friend

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Skypie posted:

I was having a dream where I decided to call out of work and use a personal day.

Then my "hey dumbass you're gonna be late" alarm went off. :smith:

i requested today off because tomorrow's my birthday 8)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

FirstAidKite posted:

I remember how I got cheated out of having the TF2 halo because I saw a friend playing tf2 and hit the join friend button and it turned out he was on an idle server

I'm owned

i didn’t get it because i used the program that launched tf2 in a no-visuals command prompt window and idled

and then i got it later somehow

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

there were some changes made after you stopped playing my friend

That's hosed up

actually I tried to go back to it a few years ago and there were too many different weapons and it wouldn't let me open the lootbox it gave me

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I remember goons found the soldier medal website before it launched and I got one I sold for like $400. Also I guess it was a video game or something but it didn't appear to be TFC so I assume it's bad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

exquisite tea posted:

The industrial hype machine for Destiny 2 was real, I've never seen a game crest and fall so quickly.

It wasn't all artificial, Destiny 1 was in a pretty good place by the end. No one expected them to so thoroughly throw all of that away so getting excited about D2 seemed a safe bet.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I achievement edited all the medic weapons and I think Pyro and still got the halo.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Looper posted:

i requested today off because tomorrow's my birthday 8)

I couldn't have taken today off even if I wanted. Two guys are already on vacation this week so I've been staying 2 hours late every day

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

oddium posted:

it’s more fun to make pretty, stylish characters rather than intentionally ugly or gaudy or aesthetically offensive ones. in my opinion

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I remember there was a time when there was a tf2 thread that was pretty bad and had its own mod I think (zoolooman?) and I kept seeing probations in the leper's colony because of people playing with extremely low-res texture mods

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Looper posted:

I'd buy her a beer

Game companies should hire people specifically to abuse reddit posters imo.

My biggest problem with Destiny 2 (and Destiny 1 I guess) is that it's a far-flung science fantasy future and the weapons and powers are one step further than any given near-future Call of Duty. They should get weird with it, give me incomprehensible alien guns please.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Skypie posted:

I couldn't have taken today off even if I wanted. Two guys are already on vacation this week so I've been staying 2 hours late every day

that's bullshit!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

Game companies should hire people specifically to abuse reddit posters imo.

Where do I apply

Relax Or DIE posted:

My biggest problem with Destiny 2 (and Destiny 1 I guess) is that it's a far-flung science fantasy future and the weapons and powers are one step further than any given near-future Call of Duty. They should get weird with it, give me incomprehensible alien guns please.

Same. Honestly something that annoys me about Destiny is that it has a very cool overall premise for its setting and then does gently caress-all with it. But because it's so big and well-known, if I ever write something that's this far-future mysticism-infused science-fantasy, I'd be ripping off Destiny. :colbert: If you're gonna have this rad setting at least do something with it.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Looper posted:

that's bullshit!

Meh, it's not so bad. My boss straight up said not to get involved in anything except maintenance calls since it's just me and him so I've been donking around in my office all week.

Plus it's another 8 hours of overtime to slap onto the 24 I worked last weekend so I can be pretend rich next paycheck

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Supposedly this person was fired from their position as a narrator at ArenaNet on Guild Wars 2 for this tweet.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Supposedly this person was fired from their position as a narrator at ArenaNet on Guild Wars 2 for this tweet.

Yeah, there's been some discussion on that in this thread already.

Peter Fries, another writer at ArenaNet, was also fired for defending her, which honestly is even more insane because none of his Tweets (which he deleted but, of course, people have screen shots of) were hostile, profane, or rude. I dunno if there's some ArenaNet policy of "literally never interact with players on your personal Twitter" or something but if there isn't then this is pretty nuts on ArenaNet's part.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The firings seem like bullshit and I'd give up Guild Wars 2 forever, if it didn't bore me to tears every time I've tried it since launch.

Also - I beat Pillars of Eternity 2. I might write up longer thoughts later but my short review is - Good, a big improvement over POE 1 (which I also liked.) I have issues but given their track record, with DLC and patches I'm sure most of them will be addressed at some point. Things that probably won't get changed are that I think the main story needed a new more major quests, and the companion quests (that I finished) are okay but not that satisfying. They honestly seem like middle-chapter stories, leaving the characters open to show up in a theoretical third game/major Throne of Bhaal style expansion.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Didnt gw2 come out like 15 years ago who are these people?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FirstAidKite posted:

Dungeon Fighter Online doesn't let you customize the looks of a character since each class has a specific design to them, but you can get avatar items that let you change how they look. So of course this is what my Exorcist looks like.

That's neat but sometimes I like to play with characters that don't look like me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

turn your monitor on :twisted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

The firings seem like bullshit and I'd give up Guild Wars 2 forever, if it didn't bore me to tears every time I've tried it since launch.

Yeah it's an easy decision to stop playing Guild Wars 2 because the game loving sucks anyways.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

isn't guild wars 2 close to 10 years old at this point that's a long time to be playing the same game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

6 years old on August 28. I've played it on and off, the game is continually supported and updated, but it honestly isn't that fun. Every time I try to play I just end up quitting after a few days and then come back a year later.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i must be thinking of something else then

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Innes McKendrick has a good thread about the ArenaNet thing here

https://twitter.com/innesmck/status/1015279881830256640?s=21

I feel like I'm a bit of a killjoy itt because I'm constantly bringing up things like this and Boogie288 and other gaming politics poo poo but I feel like they're important and speak to very deep issues regarding the culture of games.

Also I really loving like dunking on Boogie in part because I totally shared his completely myopic and lovely white dude worldview when I was younger and insanely dumb.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

isn't guild wars 2 close to 10 years old at this point that's a long time to be playing the same game

Eve Online turned 15.

May 8, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

Also I really loving like dunking on Boogie in part because I totally shared his completely myopic and lovely white dude worldview when I was younger and insanely dumb.

Dunking on Boogie is a universal good - I had that same attitude, but it was over 10 years ago and he's much older than I am now, so.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Yeah it's an easy decision to stop playing Guild Wars 2 because the game loving sucks anyways.

Yeah I'm pretty much out of playing GW2 already at this point so my whole "I'm done with ArenaNet" stance isn't exactly a principled stand on my point. But hey, gently caress ArenaNet anyway.

Cowcaster posted:

I mean it's being consistently updated and there have been two expansions

Also WoW has been out for like 14 years and people still play it

Also gently caress that last sentence made me feel old as poo poo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

14 years is an even longer time to be playing the same game, yes

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Really WoW has changed enough that I'm not sure I really consider it the same game today that it was 14 years ago, which is partially why a bunch of people whose opinions I will never understand want WoW Classic to be a thing because modern WoW is a significantly more playable game

Also I need to stop thinking about WoW being 14 years old because it reminds me of my own age and therefore mortality

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

This is crazy to me to think about but there are players who have had a subscription to WoW going non-stop since day 1 of the games official launch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This is crazy to me to think about but there are players who have had a subscription to WoW going non-stop since day 1 of the games official launch.

I was just about to ask how many people are probably in that position.

You could technically say I've been playing WoW on and off for 14 years but I only really play it for a month or two every couple years so it's not particularly remarkable. But I am very curious what kind of person started playing WoW in 2004 and still plays today and WoW has been their main game the whole time because they are definitely out there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

WoW vanilla is kind of fun to revisit every now and then for the novelty of it all but around level 35-40 it starts to become very obvious why nobody wants to play that kind of game anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

real gamers still play River Raid every day

• Locked thread