Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Cactrot posted:

I got this far

and immediately closed the window, get that garbage outta here.

r/freemagic is a cesspool of awful garbage, yeah. It's all the lovely altright whackos that got banned from other magic subs for being extraordinarily lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cactrot posted:

I got this far

and immediately closed the window, get that garbage outta here.

"it was ok for lsv to cheat on his wife because she was an sjw" is a pretty spicy take

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

why would you not just put the bolas checklist card in the token slot to prevent drafting shenanigans :wtc:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

number one pta fan posted:

I wish I hadn't bothered digging this up from Reddit but it's an interesting angle. I thought today's set review was still good and I'd truck on with LR without him, as much as I'd also be really keen to hear him do his own thing. I don't know how welcome drama chat is here but I value his MTG opinions even more after reading this salacious bit of gossip. That's a value play.

Why would you ever post this reddit? Jesus.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Owlbear Camus posted:

why would you not just put the bolas card in the token slot to prevent drafting shenanigans :wtc:

You obviously thought this issue through longer than whoever the decision maker was in this situation.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

MrBling posted:

https://twitter.com/sickofit/status/1015296610023059456

I guess there's some sort of movement happening on twitter in regards to pro players and them wanting more money?

Short of every name-recognizable pro striking and no showing a bunch of marquee events this is gonna go nowhere. Assuming that some of them even could take that step without violating contacts or agreements they have with CFB, SCG, etc.

I agree that there should be better prize support and structure for pros, not to mention judges, but there's no way WOTC is going to change anything. Like someone else said, they'll just open the doors to a new crop of suckers who will be all too happy to get undercompensated to do free advertising.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Sickening posted:

You obviously thought this issue through longer than whoever the decision maker was in this situation.

It wouldn't be on cardstock then, defeating the purpose of the checklist card.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Sickening posted:

"We can save $20,000 in printing costs on the print run if we screw up ~500 drafts due to people sharking an extra dual land and pretending like it was a basic"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I wonder how feasible it would be to organize some sort of player's union similar to what exists in a lot of pro sports.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I thought they had the ability to ensure that a checklist card and the matching flip card would always be opened in the same pack, as demonstrated by the partner cards always appearing in the same battlebond pack.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Cactrot posted:

I thought they had the ability to ensure that a checklist card and the matching flip card would always be opened in the same pack, as demonstrated by the partner cards always appearing in the same battlebond pack.

if they were doing that though, i'd think they'd mention it

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

If they did collate it to only be in Nicky Ravager packs that solves the issue neatly, since flips are table knowledge when opened so everyone will be on the same page why the count is "off" and no one can skeeze a tapland.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
lol for gently caress's sake Spellseeker, the creature that tutors an instant or sorcerer with CMC 2 or less, isn't going to be in the first wave of Battlebond cards that are going into MTGO chests. Come on Wizards, it is the most hyped new card from Battlebond and uses no new mechanics, get your loving poo poo together.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

dinosaurs are cool

Deck: Ian Malcolm Was Right

//Lands
2 Clifftop Retreat
2 Field of Ruin
6 Forest
5 Mountain
3 Rootbound Crag
2 Sunpetal Grove

//Artifacts
4 Manalith

//Instants
3 Crash the Ramparts

//Sorceries
4 Commune with Dinosaurs
3 Rabid Bite
4 Thud

//Planeswalkers
3 Huatli, Warrior Poet

//Creatures
4 Drover of the Mighty
1 Ghalta, Primal Hunger
3 Gigantosaurus
4 Llanowar Elves
3 Raptor Hatchling
4 Wayward Swordtooth

Display deck statistics

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Thud is insanely bad IMO. If you really want to live in a place where you are 2-for-1ing to deal direct damage Fling is where you want to be, since it can at least get you value from a creature targeted by removal on the stack. Or if they do something like flash in a deathtouch guy in front of Gigantosaur you can just go for the Fling. Also even with some fixing I'm not convinced you're getting Gigantosaur close to curve in Naya.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 6, 2018

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm a filthy casual, so this is just a dumb fun jank deck. Plus i'm trying to stay away from cards that are being rotated out, but i'd throw in Fling and drop Rabid Bite if I was trying to go for something more competitive. Regisaur Alpha is getting subbed in for Huatli, though. I realized that her free dinosaur per turn isn't really worth taking up a 5-slot when the Alpha gives a free dino but also gives every other dino Haste for the same cost, and without needing to provide a third color to enable Huatli.

Also Gigantosaur's CC is basically a non-factor in a deck with 8 dorks and 4 stones. He can pop out on turn 3 at the earliest, turn 4 on average.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

You're playing 11 lands that tap for green out of 20 total lands. Your poo poo isn't getting cast. Also, it's WAY easier to cast Ghalta than it is to cast Gigantosaurus. Just jam 4 Ghalta 4 Flings and go to town.

Attack with Ghalta, cast a second Ghalta, Fling with Ghalta on the stack actually sounds sick.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Silhouette posted:

Also Gigantosaur's CC is basically a non-factor in a deck with 8 dorks and 4 stones. He can pop out on turn 3 at the earliest, turn 4 on average.

You're playing pretty casually indeed if you aren't counting on someone bolting your birds. If I see a T1/2 dork, I will absolutely spend a fatal push/cast down/abrade/magma spray/etc to strand whatever you're ramping to in your hand.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Silhouette posted:

I'm a filthy casual, so this is just a dumb fun jank deck. Plus i'm trying to stay away from cards that are being rotated out, but i'd throw in Fling and drop Rabid Bite if I was trying to go for something more competitive. Regisaur Alpha is getting subbed in for Huatli, though. I realized that her free dinosaur per turn isn't really worth taking up a 5-slot when the Alpha gives a free dino but also gives every other dino Haste for the same cost, and without needing to provide a third color to enable Huatli.

at least play Grow From the Ashes instead of Manalith

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

at least play Grow From the Ashes instead of Manalith

Or Cultivators Caravan is a 3 Cmc tap for any rock that I'm comfortable calling "strictly better," and you can put one of the dino tokens you're hoping to make with Huatli/Hatchling behind the wheel pretty handily when you don't need it for mana to block a little better or whatever.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Sorry folks. Referencing weird gossip, not endorsing. The MTG Reddit's exile zone is definitely not a prime posting spot.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tainen posted:

I would love to see some of these resumes he has worked on for pro magic players
Me too; I wanna know how he spins "played a nerdy card game for almost minimum wage" into something that not only looks like it belongs on a resume, but actually gets you an interview/job. That's gotta be some primo resume bulking.

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013

Sorry folks. Referencing weird gossip, not endorsing. The MTG Reddit's exile zone is definitely not a prime posting spot.

A bunch of nerds too gross for nerds have lovely opinions and take the chance to attack a woman for no reason

thnks for the update

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I for one am SHOCKED that a bunch of MTG players are attacking women on the internet.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
About MTG:Arena draft, I would be all for a Hearthstone/Eternal Forge style phantom mode as a casual draft mode.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Yawgmoth posted:

Me too; I wanna know how he spins "played a nerdy card game for almost minimum wage" into something that not only looks like it belongs on a resume, but actually gets you an interview/job. That's gotta be some primo resume bulking.

Someone who misuses an apostrophe in a tweet is probably not someone that you want writing your resume in the first place.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

next time don't click on the link that goes to the toilet zone in the first place

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Star Man posted:

Someone who misuses an apostrophe in a tweet is probably not someone that you want writing your resume in the first place.
Oh absolutely not, but I wanna see what he wrote because either it's brilliant in concept or hilariously bad. Not seeing much wiggle room here.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Star Man posted:

Because people pay as much attention to their grammar in tweets as they do for their resume.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

:goonsay:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Because people pay as much attention to their grammar in tweets as they do for their resume.

I know, I know.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hellsau posted:

You're playing 11 lands that tap for green out of 20 total lands. Your poo poo isn't getting cast. Also, it's WAY easier to cast Ghalta than it is to cast Gigantosaurus. Just jam 4 Ghalta 4 Flings and go to town.

Attack with Ghalta, cast a second Ghalta, Fling with Ghalta on the stack actually sounds sick.

Ok yeah, that does sound sick as hell

Deck: Ian Malcolm Was Right

//Lands
2 Field of Ruin
8 Forest
6 Mountain
4 Rootbound Crag

//Artifacts
3 Cultivator's Caravan

//Instants
3 Crash the Ramparts
4 Fling

//Sorceries
4 Commune with Dinosaurs
4 Thud

//Creatures
4 Drover of the Mighty
4 Ghalta, Primal Hunger
4 Llanowar Elves
3 Raptor Hatchling
3 Regisaur Alpha
4 Wayward Swordtooth

Display deck statistics

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Marketing New Brain posted:

They're standard legal only in Mainland China, but sold worldwide iirc. The point is to break into China's market but I think magic is already played in Taiwan.

It's deliberately bad cards with new art and names but all functionally worse than what you could play in standard. I feel like making a lot of deliberately bad cards is a good way to turn people off of magic not to mention they have the awkward "legal only in mainland china" text, but who knows why WOTC does what they do.

I assure you, Magic is already played here. And no one at the LGSs I go to care about those sets because they didn't even print them in Traditional, so they only have English copies.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
This thread has a bunch of scans of new Planeswalker art.

https://twitter.com/vronos/status/1015351211476901888

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Tainen posted:

ELSPETH LIVES

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Star Man posted:

ELSPETH LIVES

AN UNEXPECTED TURN OF EVENTS

Look cool though so that's fine. I'm not sure those are all PW card art though, some of them look a bit far away and I'm not sure they'd suit the card frame. But with the current box product walkers I guess they can use some less impressive art of them all.

A little disappointed there's no Sorin, guess he's staying in that rock a while yet.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 7, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

GoutPatrol posted:

I assure you, Magic is already played here. And no one at the LGSs I go to care about those sets because they didn't even print them in Traditional, so they only have English copies.

I guess WotC follows the One-China policy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tainen posted:

Do we have any idea what the hell this is?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Hellsau posted:

I guess WotC follows the One-China policy.

If this wasn't obvious enough when WotC claims all the Taiwanese players represent "Chinese Taipei" in event coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BizarroAzrael posted:

Look cool though so that's fine. I'm not sure those are all PW card art though, some of them look a bit far away and I'm not sure they'd suit the card frame. But with the current box product walkers I guess they can use some less impressive art of them all.

It's not unusual for a publisher to crop an illustration if it makes it fit the format better.