Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

3 posted:

There's an old joke that goes:

EDIT:

Germany immediately started doing everything it could to subvert the treaty and then outright ignored it after they figured out unrestricted submarine warfare would give them a near-unbeatable edge in the early days of World War One 2: The Second One.

Sure, but potsticker's argument was there's absolutely no disarmament after any war ever, nuh-uh, nope no. My point was that among the allied forces (which is the relevant simile here considering they all unite to go stomp on CB) they tended to start making at least some kind of post-war treaty to limit their mutual standing hardware and get rid of some the bigger toys (or at least not build more) just to keep everyone happy for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Sure, but potsticker's argument was there's absolutely no disarmament after any war ever, nuh-uh, nope no.

Sorry, that was not my argument. My argument was that peace between nations at the end of a war did not somehow remove tensions that would lead to another war.

Re: Nations uniting to fight CB would not somehow make peace between those nations afterwards.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I thought this was the thread for plastic men, not straw men. :v:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I mean, disarmament after a war tends to happen because wars have just gotten so drat expensive to fight. WW1 tends to be the better example here because everybody was exhausted and the US just wanted to isolate itself again, but it's not like everyone immediately transitioned to building up for the Cold War after WW2.

TBH Celestial Being's plan was basically bullshit from the start. It's basically

1) Antagonize everyone into fighting you
2) ???
3) Prepare for the dialogues to come!

Partly because the founder of CB wasn't some superintelligent mastermind. He was a man with a vision for the future of mankind among the stars. And then he put a computer in charge. It did a great job, but it also did a horrible job. CB were basically farsighted and ruthless enough (usually) to be the sort to be able to unite humanity, just a little indirectly by giving them something to unite against rather than forcefully or diplomatically.

Hell, one of the reasons the world mostly stayed unified (there were some small nations deliberately left out) was because rather than supporting the newly unified world from the shadows, as was presumably the plan, the guy who hijacked the supercomputer became a part of the shadowy side of the new world government.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

I thought this was the thread for plastic men, not straw men. :v:

And one you shall have as way of apology for the derail. A plastic man, not a straw one.

I've been slowly customizing a GN-X Strider for a while, and still waiting on a few more parts and action base in the mail (:argh:). The wings are excess pieces from the Fenice Liberta (ie; the Renascita wings), and the legs are Landman Rodhi ones from the IBO accessory pack 9 along with the guns.

And for close-in melee;

THE BIG NIPPERS!

What I'm going to finish it off with is with the new HGBC Tiltrotor pack, by mounting the VTOL engines on the shoulders.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 7, 2018

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Argas posted:

I mean, disarmament after a war tends to happen because wars have just gotten so drat expensive to fight. WW1 tends to be the better example here because everybody was exhausted and the US just wanted to isolate itself again, but it's not like everyone immediately transitioned to building up for the Cold War after WW2.

TBH Celestial Being's plan was basically bullshit from the start. It's basically

1) Antagonize everyone into fighting you
2) ???
3) Prepare for the dialogues to come!

Partly because the founder of CB wasn't some superintelligent mastermind. He was a man with a vision for the future of mankind among the stars. And then he put a computer in charge. It did a great job, but it also did a horrible job. CB were basically farsighted and ruthless enough (usually) to be the sort to be able to unite humanity, just a little indirectly by giving them something to unite against rather than forcefully or diplomatically.

Hell, one of the reasons the world mostly stayed unified (there were some small nations deliberately left out) was because rather than supporting the newly unified world from the shadows, as was presumably the plan, the guy who hijacked the supercomputer became a part of the shadowy side of the new world government.

You forgot S2 where the unified world government immediately started bullying Mino nation's into joining, killing any who resisted. Killing civilians fun, building superweapons to intimidate everyone, and the evil clone guy never really thought past " I'm genetically superior so I should rule all humans". He doesn't really commit to where he'll lead humanity, just that he should be the one to do it.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Guys it's fine to not like shows and guys it's fine to like shows. Ya'll got to chill. :coffeepal:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

It has been an pretty entertaining derail though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you're interested in conversations like these the general Gundam thread is the best place for them and in fact had gone over 00 a few times. There are some posters there who don't visit this thread, so you can get some more viewpoints too.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sazabi posted:

You forgot S2 where the unified world government immediately started bullying Mino nation's into joining, killing any who resisted. Killing civilians fun, building superweapons to intimidate everyone, and the evil clone guy never really thought past " I'm genetically superior so I should rule all humans". He doesn't really commit to where he'll lead humanity, just that he should be the one to do it.

That's unity!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I'm assuming going straight to Master grade would be a mistake if I have fuckall of a clue as to what I'm doing? Got one as a gift and I've been meaning to get around to fooling with it. I don't think I've done a model of any note in nearly a quarter of a century.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warbird posted:

I'm assuming going straight to Master grade would be a mistake if I have fuckall of a clue as to what I'm doing? Got one as a gift and I've been meaning to get around to fooling with it. I don't think I've done a model of any note in nearly a quarter of a century.

MGs actually look pretty good even for novices due to better color separation and more parts. What kit do you have?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Warbird posted:

You'll be fine. There's a lot of parts, but the directions are clear and easy to follow. Even if it has been a long time since you built a model, as long as you know which end of the clippers to hold you'll have no problems.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
The MG Wing Zero has garbage hands. Not even a peg and hole setup for the weapons, just the moving fingers, and it's got those huge guns to keep up. I tried using poster putty, but wound up swiping the hands from my HG Kshatriya and painting them white. On the bright side, the Zero comes with an extra set of grey hands, so now the Kshatriya isn't always waving around a couple of empty fists.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Warbird posted:

Here's the fun thing about Bandai model kits - higher grades don't really equal more complexity. Just take your time and you'll no harder time putting together a MG than you would a HG - it'll just take more time since there's obviously more parts.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Midjack posted:

MGs actually look pretty good even for novices due to better color separation and more parts. What kit do you have?

It appears to be a RX-93 v2 Hi-v Gundam. Given my memory of the series consists of G Gundam (the best one) and that one level of the PS2 game where you have to jump on the big planes, I have no loving idea what any of that means. Going off the OP and a brief conversation with a guy at the local Hobby Town I'm going to need an Exacto Knife, some clippers, and some sandpaper. That about sum it up? Could I just use some diagonal cutting pliers from my soldering kit?

I also assume that the instructions being extremely Japanese is par for the course?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Warbird posted:

It appears to be a RX-93 v2 Hi-v Gundam. Given my memory of the series consists of G Gundam (the best one) and that one level of the PS2 game where you have to jump on the big planes, I have no loving idea what any of that means. Going off the OP and a brief conversation with a guy at the local Hobby Town I'm going to need an Exacto Knife, some clippers, and some sandpaper. That about sum it up? Could I just use some diagonal cutting pliers from my soldering kit?

I also assume that the instructions being extremely Japanese is par for the course?

You can use those pliers, although getting some of the cuts might be alittle awkward because they have a bigger tip than hobby clippers. You don't actually need sandpaper, especially if this is your first kit, Save that for when you want to start painting, imo. Just clip the piece off and cut the little bit left from where you cut it with your exacto knife

As for the instructions, here's a page from your kit

as you can see, all the parts are numbered in English numbers, so no problem there. And for the special symbols, here's a guide

https://www.gunpla101.com/gunpla-symbols-explained/

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Warbird posted:

It appears to be a RX-93 v2 Hi-v Gundam. Given my memory of the series consists of G Gundam (the best one) and that one level of the PS2 game where you have to jump on the big planes, I have no loving idea what any of that means.

The only info that you need to know is that the Hi-Nu Gundam is a fantastic Master Grade.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Here's the fun thing about Bandai model kits - higher grades don't really equal more complexity. Just take your time and you'll no harder time putting together a MG than you would a HG - it'll just take more time since there's obviously more parts.

Kotobukiya kits, on the other hand... :unsmigghh:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Neato. Looks like he shelled out a bit for this thing too; must have felt bad for his dog ruining my life for a while. So an Exacto and some real clippers. I may just go by the local shop and get both instead of doing the Amazon thing if that's all I need.

There are Macross ones aren't there? This is going to be a problem, isn't it?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Kotobukiya kits, on the other hand... :unsmigghh:

I can't loving believe that Kotobukiya got dibs on what's apparently going to be a line of Brave mechs...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Revive Ground Gundam appreciates being able to carry everything on him rather than extra weapons getting put into a baggie.

This kit is loving awesome except for the hands, sadly. The beam sabers sit really loose in the hands and there's no slot tab on the trigger finger for a better grip on the beam rifle.

I was debating getting this or the Blue Destiny Unit 3, but what settled it was that this kit had the better head sculpt. BD3 has a dumb frowny face while the Ground Gundam has a cool frowny face.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That's some good panel lining. Tastefully shaded.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sazabi posted:

You mean like all the killing? Or the blonde kid getting obsessive about white and blue gundams?

A bunch of dangerously radicalised but basically noble kids gear up with invincible superhero-suits called Gundams and take on the entire planet in a vague attempt to solve the world’s injustices through violence. Meanwhile, a powerful faction within the Earth’s political/military community uses said kids’ crusade as a way to advance their goal of reforming the world from the inside (and leaving themselves on top). They plan to destroy the kids, leaving them as the heroes who untied the Earth against an implacable for, and to do this, they repurpose and democratise the centuries-old technology that empowers said kids. They drown their Gundams beneath a tide of simple, interchangeable, and deadly machines with the weaponry to punch through their invincible armour, wearing them down over a series of running battles until they corner them and destroy their base. The kids’ de-facto leader and most talented pilot is killed in a battle with an enemy he has an ugly personal history with, who pilots his own, heavily-armed Gundam - he manages to wreck his enemy’s machine before he goes down, taking him out of the fight, but is unable to kill him. The hero, after being exhausted by a terrible battle, faces off against his own rival, a young blond soldier who wants to fight using conventional technology rather than this imported supertech, and who is currently piloting a slapdash, cobbled-together mess of a machine. He loses, and the villains of the story successfully bring about world peace, but with a decidedly sinister undercurrent.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'll take this to the Gundam general thread if necessary, but if this is supposed to be the parallels between S2 of IBO and S1 of 00, the kids in IBO definitely were not on a crusade to "to solve the world’s injustices through violence." You can argue that that was McGillis' plans, but Tekkadan were not buying into that part of his philosophy in the same way the Gundam Meisters were buying into and a part of Celestial Being's plan.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lemon-Lime posted:

I really wish we had an MG of this fucker.

Aw, man, I love fat Gundams.

(Doms too)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
What's a good idea for a Jegan customization project.

Starch Jegan sadly, is already taken.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Ka0 posted:

Jeganmeister.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I wish unicorn era suits didn't skip bicep day.

Stark Eccoas Jegan is one I did.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Jeganbomb
Jegan Elwood
Jegan the Fatman

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

JeGyan

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

I know multiple people have said so already but it’s fine to start with mg kits.

I did one hg kit then moved right on to mg. I actually enjoyed putting together the mg kits more cause you really appreciate some of the design of the more complex parts and how they come together.

Even though I don’t know any Japanese the instructions are pretty straightforward. There are guides that will show you what each symbol means but I got through my first few kits knowing nothing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are these things more action figure like when completed or is more of a Lego "tends to explode if moved" sort of deal?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

Are these things more action figure like when completed or is more of a Lego "tends to explode if moved" sort of deal?

Some of the Real Grades are like that, but the majority of High Grades and Master Grades are fairly solid.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I love High Grades because they're fun to swoosh around and you get a lot more variety in the types of mobile suits that get made for that line. I wouldn't say they're quite action-figure tier, and while some can be delicate to handle, for the most part plastic toy robot models are fairly solid and easily stand up to activity at least as strenuous as using them to play some sort of dice-based tactical simulator strategy war game or re-posing them on an occasional basis.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Another downside to the ground Gundam: the should assembly is really simplistic. It's a simple socket joint with a polycap to attach the arm. The 2011 ez8 model had a really cool dual joint shoulder for extra range of motion which I believe the new galbaldy p kit also uses. it would really help move the arm across the chest to hold the giant fuckoff howitzer.

Does a 180mm bore seem a little small for an 18m high robot? That's big but within the range of tank armaments.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I love High Grades because they're fun to swoosh around and you get a lot more variety in the types of mobile suits that get made for that line. I wouldn't say they're quite action-figure tier, and while some can be delicate to handle, for the most part plastic toy robot models are fairly solid and easily stand up to activity at least as strenuous as using them to play some sort of dice-based tactical simulator strategy war game or re-posing them on an occasional basis.

I'd say a few kits are action figure durable, especially the Gundam and Guncannon revive.

(It's also variable on figure. A 90's Kenner brick is different than a premium priced interchangable part jobby that breaks when you look at it.)

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

You should be able to move them around and pose them without issue.

If you want some extra security pick up some plastic glue and some toothpicks. I ended up gluing some of the larger non moving pieces to the frame cause I’m pretty much never going take them apart again.

Also pick up a line pen so you can do some panel lining if you’re up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I'll take this to the Gundam general thread if necessary, but if this is supposed to be the parallels between S2 of IBO and S1 of 00, the kids in IBO definitely were not on a crusade to "to solve the world’s injustices through violence." You can argue that that was McGillis' plans, but Tekkadan were not buying into that part of his philosophy in the same way the Gundam Meisters were buying into and a part of Celestial Being's plan.

They were entering McGillis’s war to become kings of Mars, so they could free it from its poverty and oppression. Their goals weren’t identical to CB’s, but they absolutely had a grand ambition to bring peace and prosperity through violence. It’s one of the big reasons they didn’t just stick with Teiwaz.