Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rutkowski posted:

Getting back into the game after like seven years away, only played a couple of months back then. Created a new smuggler and used the OP ref link to transfer to goon server cause the lag can't be that bad from Europe, can it?

Depends on what you want to do. Playing Nightmare mode raiding which requires exact timing is probably going to be rough - but it's also probably not something you're going to be doing. :) We've had a number of EU folk play, I think Aleth is European Scum, and I know we have some Criminals (Aussies)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Do they crack down on RMT in this game a lot? I saw a few people offering 2 million credits for 2 bucks, is that legit? Will I get banned?

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Medullah posted:

Depends on what you want to do. Playing Nightmare mode raiding which requires exact timing is probably going to be rough - but it's also probably not something you're going to be doing. :) We've had a number of EU folk play, I think Aleth is European Scum, and I know we have some Criminals (Aussies)
yeah never been one for pro raid grinding and all that, in it for the stories and having fun.

Haven't seen a goon on yet though but if one comes on Azyiana would like an invite to the rep fleet.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Verbose posted:

Do they crack down on RMT in this game a lot? I saw a few people offering 2 million credits for 2 bucks, is that legit? Will I get banned?

I would encourage you not to spend real money on this game at all, first. Second, don't buy credits - you'll definitely get your credit card stolen, that's the way those things work. Third, if you're really determined to get credits with real money, just find something from the Cartel Market that's selling for a lot on the GTN, buy with $$$, sell in game once the bind timer expires. Or do tons of PvP and heroics.

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

Chickenwalker posted:

I would encourage you not to spend real money on this game at all, first.

Aww those poor children of devs at Christmas time.

quote:

Second, don't buy credits - you'll definitely get your credit card stolen, that's the way those things work.

Paypal's been a thing for twenty years now...but yeah if you're looking for something specific the CM is probably selling it so you can support the devs of the game you play rather than the Chinese mafia.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

otoh its not my job to support any particular person and if you can buy it cheaper elsewhere and securely you absolutely should

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

As someone who can't afford most things (because I'm poor and jobless), I say that supporting the developers is actually cool and good if you enjoy the game.

Like, if you wanna gently caress someone over by paying a third party, do it to scumbags, like Konami.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like nobody's really taking the "don't buy credits from RMT, ya idjit" stance that this question deserves

They are thieves who will drain your account dry if you let them and I'm pretty sure you'll be banned if the game finds out you did it (iirc Medullah is still banned from the official forums for making a joke about RMT in guild chat because a bot caught him using the wrong keywords)

e: well I guess chickenwalker did, but it deserves saying more than once

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like nobody's really taking the "don't buy credits from RMT, ya idjit" stance that this question deserves

They are thieves who will drain your account dry if you let them and I'm pretty sure you'll be banned if the game finds out you did it (iirc Medullah is still banned from the official forums for making a joke about RMT in guild chat because a bot caught him using the wrong keywords)

e: well I guess chickenwalker did, but it deserves saying more than once

They lifted the ban last year, only 4 years after the joke.

Buying credits is dumb because a) buying credits is dumb and b) making money in this game is beyond simple. Especially with so many items going up for direct sale on the cartel market, you can take your free coins from subscription and security key and make millions easily. A character rename is 700 cartel coins right now and goes for 20 million in the GTN.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I miss the original crafting system. More options for stat allocation. Having a full set of heavy Endowment gear was great. Not to mention how rewarding it felt to get a new schematic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

IncelThreadGasser posted:

I miss the original crafting system. More options for stat allocation. Having a full set of heavy Endowment gear was great. Not to mention how rewarding it felt to get a new schematic.

Yeah it actually rewarded you for working on it to get the best schematic. I made a ton of credits because I learned the Cunning/Critical/Surge implant and no one else had it.

Plus you could RE endgame crystals and have a 20% chance of learning the schematic.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
There was just a livestream of features coming in 5.9.2, including a sweet looking Rishi stronghold with in-built PvP poo poo: http://dulfy.net/2018/07/06/swtor-5-9-2-developer-livestream-coverage-and-notes/

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I like doing every quest I can find. Completing objectives is satisfying, and unless I pick an inherently boring class to play, the combat never gets dull. I'd even say the side quests are more enjoyable than the story missions sometimes.

GC allows skipping a lot of content that you would be forced to do for progression otherwise. Personally I would limit my gear acquisition to whatever tier of content I'm doing. I can't remember the specific ilvl's at the moment, but the main jist is that I'd divide content tiers by gear level and stay on each content tier until I get fully geared for that tier, making sure to do all content in that tier. It also has the advantage of prolonging content before I run out of things to do.

Of course, I'm not willing to do any of this until certain changes to the game are made. I haven't even done anything past Ilum.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Ahh...to reminisce about those lovely days spent in the Corellian Sector of Nar Shaddaa. The serene purple and orange tones reflected off a soothingly quiet urban landscape. That divine ambient music playing in the background while I gather mats for my RE'ing. The subtle joy of finding and scanning those chanlon vehicle debris nodes...like picking ripe fruit from a tree. And that deep satisfaction of my patience and determination being rewarded with an awesome new piece of purple gear.

It was just heaven. No other word can describe it.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Aleth posted:

There was just a livestream of features coming in 5.9.2, including a sweet looking Rishi stronghold with in-built PvP poo poo: http://dulfy.net/2018/07/06/swtor-5-9-2-developer-livestream-coverage-and-notes/

Does that mean they maybe are finally going to add some functional gameplay content to strongholds other than pretty princess dress up? Or is it just meant as an alternative to the guild flagship for guilds?

It would be pretty badass to actually have to defend your base like in CoH.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

Does that mean they maybe are finally going to add some functional gameplay content to strongholds other than pretty princess dress up? Or is it just meant as an alternative to the guild flagship for guilds?

It would be pretty badass to actually have to defend your base like in CoH.

You should check out the video, it's pretty badass. There are multiple areas for PvP (grouped or solo duels, a large and small arena) along with a custom Huttball area where you can design it yourself.

In addition, they are adding training dummies to the stronghold (previously could only really use them on your ship as the ones on fleet you couldn't apply health and armor debuffs to).

Unless anyone has any objections, I'll be closing down our Manaan stronghold on 7/31 and buying Rishi. I expect it to be roughly 50 million, but it's going to be a far more useful stronghold than Manaan.

Edit - All you need to know about the new SH

Medullah fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 7, 2018

Pryce
May 21, 2011
Coming back after a couple years off, and man is it satisfying to be able to just play through the 1-50 class stories without bothering with anything else. When I last played, the 'XP boost' to the storyline wasn't around yet, and it sucked having to do all the random quests everywhere. Being able to just mainline the story drug means I might actually be willing to play through all 8 classes at some point now. Each planet's pretty quick given that you can taxi everywhere from the start, quick travel without cooldown, and basically have a single quest per area on each planet.

I'm seriously excited at how accessible 'catching up' is in this game, even though I get why other people might be upset at all these changes over the years.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Good ol' Bioware.

"Hey guys! We know you hate playing our game, so here have a gazillion XP boosts so you can get it over and done with faster!"

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I think it's more they realized that the playerbase that was interested in the XP grind was finite and had already done it, so at least this lures the casuals who just want to play all the stories and not futz about with anything else. The few completionists left can still play every quest if they want. I know I would have stopped with just doing a couple stories if they still took as long as they did at launch.

IncelThreadGasser
Aug 16, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah players hated playing the game. Playing the game was a chore standing in the way of story. So instead of making story the incentive to grind through all that content and keeping players playing the game longer, Bioware handed them the best part of the game on a platter so players could quit earlier. Just as they did for basically every other aspect of the game. Not enough content? Let's just let players skip all the content we do have. Genius.

If anything the casuals who just play for story are finite, since they're going to quit earlier. And futzing about is what you want your players to do in a subscription based game.

IncelThreadGasser fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 10, 2018

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

So is the goon republic guild dead? Cause I've not once seen anyone on and I check like three-four times a day when I'm playing. :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rutkowski posted:

So is the goon republic guild dead? Cause I've not once seen anyone on and I check like three-four times a day when I'm playing. :(

Both guilds are sadly pretty dead. :(. It's been mostly just social chatting since 2014, but Discord took that spot.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Medullah posted:

Both guilds are sadly pretty dead. :(. It's been mostly just social chatting since 2014, but Discord took that spot.

well if I could get a fleet invite at least I'd get access to the flagship bonuses! =P

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rutkowski posted:

well if I could get a fleet invite at least I'd get access to the flagship bonuses! =P

I can get you tonight... But honestly you might want to look out for a bigger Republic guild if you're looking at the bonuses. I think last I looked we only have 19 active accounts on the Republic side, so we aren't even getting the full XP bonuses.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

IncelThreadGasser posted:

If anything the casuals who just play for story are finite, since they're going to quit earlier. And futzing about is what you want your players to do in a subscription based game.

I mean, yeah, you can look at it this way. But as one of those casuals, I'm plenty happy. There are already too many games begging for my time. If I can come back once in a while, play through the new story, and leave to check out another game, I'm ridiculously satisfied.

I would never suggest I'm in the majority here, but I appreciate that they're looking out for me.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Medullah posted:

I can get you tonight... But honestly you might want to look out for a bigger Republic guild if you're looking at the bonuses. I think last I looked we only have 19 active accounts on the Republic side, so we aren't even getting the full XP bonuses.

Ah ok. Any goon still playing that is part of a guild they'd reccomend then?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Rutkowski posted:

Ah ok. Any goon still playing that is part of a guild they'd reccomend then?

I run with some people from the Alea Iacta Est Pax guild sometimes. Seem like good people and it's fairly active.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Medullah posted:

You should check out the video, it's pretty badass. There are multiple areas for PvP (grouped or solo duels, a large and small arena) along with a custom Huttball area where you can design it yourself.

In addition, they are adding training dummies to the stronghold (previously could only really use them on your ship as the ones on fleet you couldn't apply health and armor debuffs to).

Unless anyone has any objections, I'll be closing down our Manaan stronghold on 7/31 and buying Rishi. I expect it to be roughly 50 million, but it's going to be a far more useful stronghold than Manaan.

that sounds super dope

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Medullah posted:

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Playing Huttball at will with guildies could be pretty sick. Too bad that arena doesn't seem to have any deathtraps to make it interesting.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

Oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Playing Huttball at will with guildies could be pretty sick. Too bad that arena doesn't seem to have any deathtraps to make it interesting.

SUPPOSEDLY they're going to add decorations at some point like acid traps and fire.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Medullah posted:

Unless anyone has any objections

Me! Me! I have objections!

(I really like the Manaan stronghold, for some reason I dig the aesthetics.)

Though the Rishi stronghold is absolutely better in every way and I have my own Manaan stronghold so close it the gently caress down.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Can someone please recommend a Sith Inquisitor PvP build? A Google search is only giving me builds for as recent as version 5.0, are these still pretty up to date?

DrunkenGarbageCan
Nov 4, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Can someone please recommend a Sith Inquisitor PvP build? A Google search is only giving me builds for as recent as version 5.0, are these still pretty up to date?

Utilities:
Sith Defiance
Empty Body or Dark Speed

Dark Resilience
Torturous Tactics

Surging Speed
Shapeless Spirit
Emersion

Force Mobility

I don't take Suppression because it's an extra active ability and an extra GCD. I don't take Backlash because it's useless against Ranged and I don't like CC I don't control. The reason to maybe take Dark Speed is as a counter to E-Nets and Engineering Snipers, Empty Body as a passive is better if you're only concerned about yourself and want one less active ability to worry about.

Gearing:

Corruption
Alacrity 6 Enhancements and 5 Augments, everything else Crit.

DPS
Alacrity 3 Enhancements and 1 Augment, Crit 7 Enhancements and 3 Augments. All remaining Augments as Power but the 236 Superior Versatile Enhancements are better if you have the resources.
Note: Lightning gets a passive Alacrity buff but the chances of you keeping it up constantly are slim to none, better to gear for the Alacrity.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you! I just came back to the game the other day and am working on getting the tier 2 set currently with unassembled components.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Thank you! I just came back to the game the other day and am working on getting the tier 2 set currently with unassembled components.

Don't waste unassembled tokens on Tier 2 gear. Hop in Veteran Mode Eternity Vault/Karagga's Palace runs that form on the fleet all the time, they drop 242 (tier 3) gear which you then can upgrade to Tier 4 with components. If you don't want to raid, well, then don't worry about gearing up since you don't need it. :)

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
I finally got around to making a new outfit seeing as Medullah is tired of Sithgimp. I call this one 'what the gently caress happened last night':

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I decided to go back and do the macrobinocular and dread seed quests because I never finished them and couldn't remember why (it's because at least one of them ends in a Heroic 4 that really needs 4 people and I play antisocially) and they are so out-of-date that they still offer unique companion gear as rewards.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Are there any good guides to fleshing out strongholds?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

SirPhoebos posted:

Are there any good guides to fleshing out strongholds?

Tor Fashion has a lot of decorations, not sure how up to date it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Medullah posted:

Tor Fashion has a lot of decorations, not sure how up to date it is.

Thanks.

I finally got to Hoth. How much of a grind is it to get the Tautaun mount?