Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Danger vehicles to watch in Calgary: Cobalts, Sunfires, Grand Caravans, Neons and every god damned lifted pick-up.
That describes like 90% of the vehicles in Calgary.

Hexigrammus posted:

Imagine a city full of Calgarians well past retirement age, rich enough to have a large RV in every second driveway. Welcome to the Parksville-Qualicum area. Mean, median, or mode, the oldest city in Canada, loaded with people who shouldn't have been licensed at 30, never mind 80.

Solidly conservative too. If it wasn't for Port Alberni and the rural areas we'd still have a CPC MP.

Haha when I lived in Australia for a while I lived in the equivalent town of there and yeah, it's insane. My favourite is the old people who just literally drive in the middle of two lanes. Yes, that is definitely a person who should still have their license. A couple months before I left a woman was killed in a mall parking lot because some old person pressed the gas instead of the brake and pinned her against the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

Powershift posted:

You could probably train a monkey to pass the test for a class 1, especially these days with automatic trucks everywhere.

Also pretty disappointing, the company that was hauling insanely overweight loads through Edmonton had all the charges dropped.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4168472/charges-dropped-edmonton-trucking-company-overweight-loads/

One load was over 17,900kg overweight

I drive truck in Alberta for almost 10 years, and this is way more common than you'd think.

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Fire all Conservatives into the sun.

Isn't the Liberal platform to include everyone?
Oh wait, I forgot that only when it's convenient for you. I can't wait to see this country divide even further with your ironic bullshit.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/MikeRoach3/status/1015212921071329281

fun thread about the F-35, I knew about a few of the problems, but certainly not all of them

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Evilpiggie posted:

I drive truck in Alberta for almost 10 years, and this is way more common than you'd think.

I drove truck hauling fluid in Alberta for 4 years, and only ever went over weight on private roads. Newer trailers wouldn't even be over weight loaded to the lid with kerosene or diesel.

Maybe dump truck drivers are a different breed.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Evilpiggie posted:

Oh wait, I forgot that only when it's convenient for you. I can't wait to see this country divide even further with your ironic bullshit.

Fire all Liberals into the sun too tbh

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Dreylad posted:

fun thread about the F-35, I knew about a few of the problems, but certainly not all of them

Yeah that thread is basically bullshit. I mean, the clue should be that the account is active hundreds of times a day, retweets all kinds of strong opinions about antifa and nazis, and lots of anti-western sentiment.

It's almost as though it could maybe, possibly be a Russian twitter bot!

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dreylad posted:

Hahaha this thing basically cant fly in cold weather and we still invested in it?

e: Oh its a troll account? Boo.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Dreylad posted:

What a dud, I can't believe 1.4 trillion dollars couldn't even accidentally create something good.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MrChips posted:

Yeah that thread is basically bullshit. I mean, the clue should be that the account is active hundreds of times a day, retweets all kinds of strong opinions about antifa and nazis, and lots of anti-western sentiment.

Makes some pretty dumb statements too like going on about vertical takeoff (something that never happens operationally and is only applicable on the -B anyway) and zomg GLUE! Modern epoxies are incredibly strong so it is a ridiculous complaint.

It’s just clickbait pretty much. Also that weirdo is way too into transformers.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Hahaha this thing basically cant fly in cold weather and we still invested in it?

e: Oh its a troll account? Boo.

I'm pretty sure the "can't fly in cold weather" thing is actually true though.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MrChips posted:

lol

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 7, 2018

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

Powershift posted:

I drove truck hauling fluid in Alberta for 4 years, and only ever went over weight on private roads. Newer trailers wouldn't even be over weight loaded to the lid with kerosene or diesel.

Maybe dump truck drivers are a different breed.

I was running ready mix concrete trucks and running scrap steel. Not nearly as professional as patch work (At least I hope)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Buy a goddamn Dassault Rafale

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Evilpiggie posted:

ACAB - All Conservatives/Cops Are Bad

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvilJoven posted:

So what exactly is that woman saying Trudeau did to her? I'm not at a computer and trying to find anything not vague on my phone is proving difficult.

Cbc leaning toward butt grab

quote:

The former publisher of the newspaper told CBC News her recollection of what the reporter told her was that it was "a very brief touch" on her rear end.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didnt they even offer to have the parts made here in Canada so we could fully maintain and support them? Like, how is our government this corrupt/dumb?

e: As soon as I ask the question I remember this dumb province elected a Doug Ford led OPC party to a majority. :negative:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Furnaceface posted:

Didnt they even offer to have the parts made here in Canada so we could fully maintain and support them? Like, how is our government this corrupt/dumb?

e: As soon as I ask the question I remember this dumb province elected a Doug Ford led OPC party to a majority. :negative:

The short answer is because Canada is joined to the US at the hip. Every time the "oh maybe the F-35 sucks, we will look into it" comes up there's absolutely nothing because Canada isn't going to pull out of this.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why ? If we just want to be cheaper than f-35 and not follow interoperability with the USA why dont we just get a bunch of new f-22s or better yet f-15s?

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 7, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

zapplez posted:

Why ? If we just want to be cheap and not follow interoperability with the USA why dont we just get a bunch of new f-22s?

Because that's not up for export.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Or neither because it's not WW2 and it's been proven that twitter bots are more effective that fighter jets

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

zapplez posted:

Why ? If we just want to be cheaper than f-35 and not follow interoperability with the USA why dont we just get a bunch of new f-22s or better yet f-15s?

US isn't producing F-22s still (hell we aren't even opening the line for ourselves and we know 187 is far too few to have down the line) and they were never for export, even to FIVE EYES countries. Canada should really have purchased some form of new production F-15s instead of the hoary remains of Australia's F-18 squadrons but being that this is Canadian arms procurement it's a disaster at every step.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The only people getting new f15s nowadays are japan.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Duggler posted:

What a dud, I can't believe 1.4 trillion dollars couldn't even accidentally create something good.

The F-35 development basically followed the same development process as this bit from "The Pentagon Wars" about the Bradley. It's supposed to be everything for everybody and consequently ends up being mediocre all around because it turns out the reason we have specialized equipment in the first place is that to be good in one area you have to make sacrifices in others.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Arcsquad12 posted:

loving this. During the whole F-35 drama under Harper when it came out that the government had only considered the F-35, despite saying the contract would be open, numerous manufacturers issued statements. One that really made me sit up and take notice was from Dassault. They were making a public offer to not just sell us the Rafale, but also help set up manufacturing plants here in Canada to produce our own spare parts, potentially up to and including the airframe (meaning we would be able to manufacture Rafales on our own,) but also they offered to give us the source code for the fighter, so we could modify it to suit our needs. That last part bears consideration alone.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Lars Blitzer posted:

they offered to give us the source code for the fighter, so we could modify it to suit our needs. That last part bears consideration alone.

If we have some cadre of government super programmers who could do something useful with fighter jet source code maybe we should turn them loose on fixing the phoenix thing for a weekend.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

See if we were really smart we would have gone with the Rafale already, or we'd have bought into the recently-started French/German project to build the replacement for their Rafales/Tornados and got some pretty massive workshares to keep the Bombardier family in the finest of nose candy.

But yeah, we're not, so...

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Abolish the Canadian forces

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or we could buy the Swedish build-a-bear equivalent the Saab Gripen and customize them into flying Mad Max jets.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I think the Gripen is probably the right size/capability for Canada but that Dassault Rafale offer was insanely good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Evilpiggie posted:

:lol: wut

If you’re right you’re shite.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Or we could buy the Swedish build-a-bear equivalent the Saab Gripen and customize them into flying Mad Max jets.

Or just duct tape some cardboard wings to a fleet of Saab 99s. Any threat is going to roll over us in a number of hours so it doesn't really matter anyways.

Canada wanting fighter planes to protect it's land is like an American wanting a gun to protect their home. We're more likely to kill ourselves with it than neutralize any threat.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 8, 2018

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Trudeau elbow is a catastrophe. He should have gone for a strangle, I mean come on Justin. Chretien already settled this years ago.

Trudeau will never get a beer named after him at this rate.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

MrChips posted:

Uh, whatever that twitter account may or may not be (and that's a lot of transformers and GI Joe references from a Russian twitter bot), everything they said about the F-35 is true.

It's the worst plane project ever made, it can't fill any of the roles it's supposed to, it can't even VTOL without setting everything on fire including itself, it's purposely designed to be impossible to kill because every country and state involved in its creation now suffers sunk cost fallacy, and it's the biggest fraud in military industrial complex history.

Trudeau should've killed it on day 1 of his administration.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

MrChips posted:

Lol what the gently caress, the west is the great Satan

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The hilarious thing is that the F-35 can't even do what it was originally meant to do, which was to save money by making three planes that were similar enough to share components to cut down on parts. Even without the 35B the others sacrifice so much that they're mediocre at best and have a limited payload...unless they carry more poo poo on external hardpoints and severely impact their stealth.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Why are you reading the lovely twitter version of the article instead of the source?
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-f-35-is-a-terrible-fighter-bomber-and-attacker-and-unfit-for-aircraft-carriers-c6e36763574b
Seriously. Take the time to read it. It's hilarious.

Yes it's a loving lemon. It was supposed to be ready for operational testing in 2008. It won't be "ready" until 2020, and even then, it will still be plagued with problems well into the future because the fundamental design is hot garbage, and has been from the start.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Svaha posted:

Why are you reading the lovely twitter version of the article instead of the source?
https://medium.com/war-is-boring/the-f-35-is-a-terrible-fighter-bomber-and-attacker-and-unfit-for-aircraft-carriers-c6e36763574b
Seriously. Take the time to read it. It's hilarious.

Yes it's a loving lemon. It was supposed to be ready for operational testing in 2008. It won't be "ready" until 2020, and even then, it will still be plagued with problems well into the future because the fundamental design is hot garbage, and has been from the start.

Yeah it turns out that when you just write a giant blank cheque to an arms contractor they aren't in any hurry to actually get that poo poo out the door.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Sad to see this thread overrun with Russian troll accounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
We argued about arctic sovereignty, but what we really need is internet sovereignty!