Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i reinstalled this game and i guess steam didn't save my old saves so i have to unlock all the drat poo poo again

it doesnt help that in the first room i always get some insanely useless afterbirth item that sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i reinstalled this game and i guess steam didn't save my old saves so i have to unlock all the drat poo poo again

it doesnt help that in the first room i always get some insanely useless afterbirth item that sucks

Holding R restarts the run

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jamesman posted:

I never got that comfortable using Lilith, and Cambion Conception isn't very nice to me. But if you can wrap your head about how you fire tears and you get lucky enough to grab a few more friends, I can see it being alright.

She's my favorite for Greed since most of the time you'll have a goddamn army following you and ahot finesse is no longer a factor.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Holding R restarts the run

thanks man thats gonna speed this up a whole lot!

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

after finally beating greed mode for the first time i have come to the horrifying realisation of how much work its going to be to unlock the keeper

i just want to play as cool monsters, god damnit. why must they hide the cool skeleton, the keeper, and the new demon boy behind such difficult things.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The keeper is not cool, nor something someone interested in enjoying themselves should be persuing.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

after finally beating greed mode for the first time i have come to the horrifying realisation of how much work its going to be to unlock the keeper

i just want to play as cool monsters, god damnit. why must they hide the cool skeleton, the keeper, and the new demon boy behind such difficult things.

You might change that tune once you actually play keeper.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Keeper sucks butt. Don't stress about getting it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

ok, i guess screw that guy then. saves me playing greed mode till i go blind.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Is anyone else having issues with the holy mantle not refreshing? It's taking two room transitions instead of one for me to come back. Playing on Linux, fwiw.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

keeper is hard but unique and not awful. bold take i’m very brave

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Play with the mod that gives the keeper a swallowed pennyy as a starting trinket, he becomes a decent character.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Inzombiac posted:

The Keeper sucks butt. Don't stress about getting it.

If you don't care about getting ~100%~

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Super No Vacancy posted:

keeper is hard but unique and not awful. bold take i’m very brave

Keeper is fine with Wooden Knickel I GUESS.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

man this moms shovel business is a friggin nightmare.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cheese it but restarting until your first item is Host Hat or Pyromaniac. It's cheap but less of a headache in the long run.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Which character are you using? Azazel is a pretty safe bet due to high dps and flight.

Edit: ^^^ or that

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

hell yes i did it, thank you for the advice guys!

i had been using azazel but i just kept on loving up and dying during the boss rush. resetting like a cheap rear end bitch until i got pyromaniac meant that the game actually got harder once the mom feet stopped stomping on me. first run with pyromaniac i made it all the way and dug up my little bone son.

eating meat gives him a real sassy look

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

gotta say, not a fan of azazel in greed mode. it gets tiresome clearing hordes with his chargeup mechanic, his flying is less advantageous cause there are no hazards on the floor or pits, or really much collectibles to get behind rocks. the lack of rocks to bust means you dont get as many spirit hearts. he's still decent, but if i focus on buying health stuff I end up with not enough damage to take down ultra greed before i die, and if I focus on damage i just die fast.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

gotta say, not a fan of azazel in greed mode. it gets tiresome clearing hordes with his chargeup mechanic, his flying is less advantageous cause there are no hazards on the floor or pits, or really much collectibles to get behind rocks. the lack of rocks to bust means you dont get as many spirit hearts. he's still decent, but if i focus on buying health stuff I end up with not enough damage to take down ultra greed before i die, and if I focus on damage i just die fast.

He does really good damage, flight gets you into curse rooms, and there are still tinted rocks (not as many, though, it's true). He also has a decent base speed and won't get corner-trapped by pits/rocks, so you should be pretty dodgy.

I mean, Isaac is still the best character for Greed/ier because of the d6, but Azazel would probably be my number two or three pick.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Terrible Opinions posted:

Play with the mod that gives the keeper a swallowed pennyy as a starting trinket, he becomes a decent character.

The mod that gives Keeper an extra health pip per 25 coins held is real good too.

He's still garbage... but at least now I can actually play him.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Seriously, with all the new starting items on just about every character, it's baffling how Keeper doesn't get Swallowed Penny and/or Greed's Gullet. The latter would be particularly good. I don't think I've found that stupid Gullet with Keeper ONCE in my life so that's just a huge oversight imo. Not to mention it's a gigantic meh item with all other characters.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

He does really good damage, flight gets you into curse rooms, and there are still tinted rocks (not as many, though, it's true). He also has a decent base speed and won't get corner-trapped by pits/rocks, so you should be pretty dodgy.

I mean, Isaac is still the best character for Greed/ier because of the d6, but Azazel would probably be my number two or three pick.

i did eventually get it down with azazel, i was just getting frustrated with a bunch of lovely runs after winning a few times in a row with cain. I ended up getting the ludovico technique, which whips insane amounts of rear end with azazel. I don't think i got touched for the rest of that run.

is the forgotten designed as a proper playable character, or is he meant to be challenge bullshit like the ??? or the lost? it seems like he whips rear end in a lot of ways, but the bone hearts kinda stress me out much more than dealing with spirit hearts as azazel for some bizarre reason.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

i did eventually get it down with azazel, i was just getting frustrated with a bunch of lovely runs after winning a few times in a row with cain. I ended up getting the ludovico technique, which whips insane amounts of rear end with azazel. I don't think i got touched for the rest of that run.

is the forgotten designed as a proper playable character, or is he meant to be challenge bullshit like the ??? or the lost? it seems like he whips rear end in a lot of ways, but the bone hearts kinda stress me out much more than dealing with spirit hearts as azazel for some bizarre reason.

Forgotten is fantastic; his item synergy is so good he makes a lot of unfun items fun. Bone Hearts are surprisingly durable since they take 3 hits to vanish and are easy to refill, though losing any hurts since they're so rare. Luckily there's soul form for whenever you need to take damage, and you can even steal devil deals by switching to bone form right after taking the deal for the soul form's last hearts. You don't die but soul form is out of commission until you get another soul heart.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
The Forgotten owns bones.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

ok i think i'm getting the hang of the forgotten. he's the first guy i've ever played where getting monstro's lung was actually a GOOD thing. I didn't realise for the longest time that the body acted as an obstacle when you're in soul mode, which let me trivialize the isaac fight (still working on getting that positive unlocked).

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Monstro's lung is actually always an epic choice (unless you have triple/quad shot; the tear delay becomes terrible for no added benefit).

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Azazel was the hardest for me in Greed Mode until I got Placebo and a range up pill on the first floor, so after awhile I basically had a free Brimstone. Trying to kill Ultra Greed with Azazel's lovely rear end range was infuriating.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

had a crazy good run with samson, got a prayer card, pyromaniac, and the 99 bombs item. i had 12 hearts after several devil deals, could take a ton of hp damage to ramp up my damage, and then heal up with bombs or boss attacks. beat mega satan in literally my first encounter with him after banging out the gold key in a sacrifice room in the womb and killing the angels.

now to learn what the heck to do with my new lil demon son.

edit: i wish some of the transformations were just characters on their own. not so much the minor ones, but the stuff like beezlebub that add mechanics. it would be neat to pick to do a dedicated fly run or something instead of just hoping for fly items

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 11, 2018

Hyphen-ated
Apr 24, 2006
Not to be confused with endash or minus.

that ivy guy posted:

Monstro's lung is actually always an epic choice (unless you have triple/quad shot; the tear delay becomes terrible for no added benefit).

if you release your charges perfectly and all your lung shots hit, it's x3.25 dps with base tear rate. this reduces down to only x3 when you have two hangers worth of tears up. if you get a third hanger, the dps goes up to about x3.5 because lung allows you to use more tears past what the cap normally is.

of course, you're not going to reach this theoretical maximum, but it's still a huge boost unless you're incredibly bad at aiming your lung shots.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Almost made it against Delirium today with The Lost. I couldn't convince myself not to get 9 Lives, because I know it hampers more than helps, but at least I got the complete Guppy. (It was painful too, on one of those last lives I died just before I killed it...and go to watch the animation of Delirium dying and me not winning...again. :( )

Something weird happened, though, and I'm not sure if it's a known bug or something that happens naturally. I had a combination of Guppy, Rock, Double Shot, Fruit Cake Tears, The Coal, and a few others, and was pretty high on my tears thanks to Purity (another weird interaction with Lost and 9 Lives). During two of these runs, I was just firing tears in the general direction of Delirium, and it literally went from probably 9/10 health to 2/10 health in an instant. I assumed it was a glitch the first time, but it happened a second time, and I noticed it seemed to happen when Delirium transformed from something into blue Larry Jr. I know this is extremely specific, but has anyone else encountered this with Delirium? I guess it's some combination of random tear effects, but I don't know what it would've been.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

InterrupterJones posted:

Almost made it against Delirium today with The Lost. I couldn't convince myself not to get 9 Lives, because I know it hampers more than helps, but at least I got the complete Guppy. (It was painful too, on one of those last lives I died just before I killed it...and go to watch the animation of Delirium dying and me not winning...again. :( )

Something weird happened, though, and I'm not sure if it's a known bug or something that happens naturally. I had a combination of Guppy, Rock, Double Shot, Fruit Cake Tears, The Coal, and a few others, and was pretty high on my tears thanks to Purity (another weird interaction with Lost and 9 Lives). During two of these runs, I was just firing tears in the general direction of Delirium, and it literally went from probably 9/10 health to 2/10 health in an instant. I assumed it was a glitch the first time, but it happened a second time, and I noticed it seemed to happen when Delirium transformed from something into blue Larry Jr. I know this is extremely specific, but has anyone else encountered this with Delirium? I guess it's some combination of random tear effects, but I don't know what it would've been.

It's probably just that Larry Jr. has multiple hitboxes, and if you hit all the worm sections at once, he'll take hella damage.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

InterrupterJones posted:

Almost made it against Delirium today with The Lost. I couldn't convince myself not to get 9 Lives, because I know it hampers more than helps, but at least I got the complete Guppy.

What do you mean by this? 9 lives is only troublesome on characters that have actual HP. The lost gets fully equipped with holy mantle on every respawn, so there's literally no downside to taking 9 lives.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm not sure this is weird but I found AB+ Lost to be easier than a lot of the proper characters. Spectral + Flight as starting items cleans up so many rooms that it's not funny.

He still sucks rear end against Delirium though. Ended up having to cheese it with Ventrical Razor every time I took a BS telefrag attack and it still took like ten tries.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 16, 2018

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm not sure this is weird but I found AB+ Lost to be easier than a lot of the proper characters. Spectral + Flight as starting items cleans up so many rooms that it's not funny.

This is definitely true. Like you said the exception is Delirium or pretty much any other optional boss like boss rush and hush. I could see some decent Lost streaks emerging if they havent already since these hiccups are all easy to avoid. Maybe have a no respawn item clause to minimize D4 abuse

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The biggest thing for Lost is that you don't have to worry about attrition. I've had so many runs ruined by poor play in Womb whittling my hearts down to nothing, while you can screw up once in every room as Lost as much as you want.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Id be comfortable saying holy mantle is the strongest item in the game. gently caress this Delirium / Greedier with the lost though.

gently caress Greedier in general.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Hi friends. Is there any reason after a clean install that the game would have music, but no* sound effects?

* I have the SFX up to max, and I hear the faintest muffle of sounds. Music is fine.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
For all my bitching previously in this thread, I finally got a Greedier run with The Lost where I obtained Gnawed Leaf, Pinking Shears, The Sacrificial Dagger, and a Cube of Meat for good measure. Apart from activating the shears at the beginning, I didn't press any buttons to beat Greedier, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

InterrupterJones posted:

For all my bitching previously in this thread, I finally got a Greedier run with The Lost where I obtained Gnawed Leaf, Pinking Shears, The Sacrificial Dagger, and a Cube of Meat for good measure. Apart from activating the shears at the beginning, I didn't press any buttons to beat Greedier, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Bitching in this thread is a time-tested method for getting an OP run. Works every time.