Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

McFrugal posted:

Ah, thanks, I'll start working towards the 200-odd steel I need for one of these bad boys. In the mean time I suppose I'll just putz along with my lovely generator setup.

If you just want to run a void miner you can also just make the steam dynamo part, not put a steam conversion upgrade on it, and slap some tier upgrades and maybe an augment on it. If you decide later you want to make something bigger it’s not too late. I freely admit my decision was overkill done for aesthetics. You can run it on Burnium, which as someone said you have way, way more of than you can ever use in Exoria.

Also, the IE windmills aren’t half bad. I made six or so and threw sails on them and they still run all my processing equipment. Won’t keep up as I make higher tier thermex machines, but more than good enough to have an infrastructure to build big things on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Building cable / wire nightmares is half the fun of modded minecraft and I won't let anyone tell me otherwise.
AE2 actually has a really nicely designed progression in a way that other mods don't and a decent part of that is the channel limitation, because all of it is designed to make you think about your network and build it out (sometimes recursively with goofy poo poo like sub networks) in an organized and deliberate way.

Plus mods having things that require lots of space means you have neat stuff to build around. This is my mediocre server room from the last Progress server:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Each one of these babies puts out 24,000 RF/t. You can run just short of five of them from a single thermal expansion steam dynamo with the first tier upgrade and the boiler augment installed.

All I see there is murder by cables everywhere :getin:

Multiple steam engines are certainly overkill, though you'll appreciate the extra power when you've got your full RS system and multiple resonant upgraded TE machines and tier 4-6 void miners with speed upgrades all churning at once.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wait, what are those red wires and lasers?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
IE Redstone cables and Actually Additions power lasers I think.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Black Pants posted:

IE Redstone cables and Actually Additions power lasers I think.

Correct. The lasers transport 100k RF/t, which is four times as much throughput as resonant fluxducts. IE redstone wire is amazing. I'm a huge vanilla redstone nerd and even I have to acknowledge their superiority.

Super Jay Mann posted:

All I see there is murder by cables everywhere :getin:

Multiple steam engines are certainly overkill, though you'll appreciate the extra power when you've got your full RS system and multiple resonant upgraded TE machines and tier 4-6 void miners with speed upgrades all churning at once.

By the end of my exoria playthrough I almost had to make a third to keep up with my power use.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Correct. The lasers transport 100k RF/t, which is four times as much throughput as resonant fluxducts. IE redstone wire is amazing. I'm a huge vanilla redstone nerd and even I have to acknowledge their superiority.

By the end of my exoria playthrough I almost had to make a third to keep up with my power use.

Have you, by any chance, moved on to another interesting pack, bc your posts in this thread is literally how I find modpacks

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hmm, no hostile monsters are spawning in the overworld for some reason, I wonder what the deal--

Remember, kids, don't chunkload a tainted chunk and then never go back to it.

Elswyyr posted:

Have you, by any chance, moved on to another interesting pack, bc your posts in this thread is literally how I find modpacks

I got to the last quest of Exoria and it was an irritating combat quest, so I pretty much gave it up. Right now I'm playing the latest updated direwolf20 pack, because it has the new thaumcraft, thermal expansion, astral sorcery, and enderIO. It's a kitchen sink pack though, so if you're looking for quest progression poo poo then you're not gonna get it there.

Here's the modpacks I currently have installed:

For those who might not know all of these (not just the person I quoted) here's a rundown from left to right.

* Direwolf20 pack: 1.12, kitchen sink. Has a custom mod, Meecreeps, that is fun to mess around with. It summons little helpers that can do rote tasks like cut down trees and dig around.
* Exoria: 1.12, quest progression pack. Made by the same dude who did Age of Engineering. Has good pacing and is built around opening up new dimensions for progress.
* SevTech Ages: 1.12, quest progression pack. Has a start that is very much like terrafirmacraft, and five separate stages. Quoted as a pack that would take "six months" to complete, but that was in the context of streamers and youtubers, who don't play as frequently.
* Crimson Skies: 1.12, quest progression skyblock. Made by the same guy who did the Modern Skyblock series. Compared to MSB3, it's considered a more "expert" pack. Based around Astral Sorcery for progress. Fairly light mod loadout.
* Infinity Evolved Skyblock: 1.7.10, progression skyblock. Dated, but a challenging expert progression map. Version 2.0 is notable for actually having a quest book! There are no quest rewards, though -- it's basically a tutorial on how to progress. Relies heavily on IC2 and Buildcraft.
* FTB Pyramid Reborn: 1.12 expert quest progression skyblock. A spiritual successor to the old FTB Pyramid map. Uses in-world mechanisms for quest progression instead of a quest book. Very small mod layout, and quite short to complete.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

We've been pushing through FTB Continuum as a group of 6 and man do I hate the efab.

Things that are irritating about it in no particular order:

1 - It's loud as gently caress
2 - Muffling blocks don't work
3 - It's loud as gently caress
4 - If you have 2 in the same dimension the server explodes
5 - It's loud as gently caress
6 - You need to make thousands of repetitive things with it
7 - It's still loud as gently caress
8 - Automating it isn't fun or engaging at all
9 - It's louder as gently caress once you automate it

In conclusion, I hate the EFab. *JACKHAMMER NOISES INTENSIFY*

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah, I am giving FTB Continuum a wiiiide fuckin' berth. Even the FTB team itself can't stand it; their server for it lasted literally a day before everyone gave up playing it.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I like the idea of a machine that gets bigger so you can build more things, it was an idea I had back in the day. But in practice its just a hinderance to normal gameplay that really interferes with the normal ease and flow of just using a normal crafting table.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Ariong posted:

Oh, okay! I hadn't heard of that before. I thought you just needed a drive/chest, an energy acceptor, and some sort of terminal. That worked. Thanks!

Glad you fixed it. Now for the next problem: IIRC AE2 will try to form an ad hoc network off another ME drive in the system if you start branching out into two. I had that happen in Blightfall; I had another drive between me and the controller and was wondering why it was getting mad after connecting 8 devices.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Glad you fixed it. Now for the next problem: IIRC AE2 will try to form an ad hoc network off another ME drive in the system if you start branching out into two. I had that happen in Blightfall; I had another drive between me and the controller and was wondering why it was getting mad after connecting 8 devices.

IIRC, ME drives aren't special like that. You can form an ad-hoc network out of any two channel-using devices. P2P tunnels often travel over an ad-hoc network, for example.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I might preempt that by seperating my essentia and item systems. There’s really no reason they have to be together.

So, you’re saying that if your system goes

Terminal——————drive-drive-controller

Then the terminal and left drive might become a second system to the right drive and controller?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

IIRC, ME drives aren't special like that. You can form an ad-hoc network out of any two channel-using devices. P2P tunnels often travel over an ad-hoc network, for example.

Which culminates in using a subnetwork to transfer all channels via P2P tunnels from a giant ME controller to control a giant AE2 system or pushing a dumb amount of channels through quantum entanglement to a chunk far away. You rarely need to do something like this, however, I only started when I hit post-scarcity and was doing Avaritia silliness.

Ariong posted:

So, you’re saying that if your system goes

Terminal——————drive-drive-controller

Then the terminal and left drive might become a second system to the right drive and controller?

No. If a cable runs out of channels then you'll find your devices have gone off-line, not split into two separate networks.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 8, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

The trick to channel management (other than disabling it in the config) is to use a lot of smart cable. It helps when you can actually see how many channels are in use.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Because I'd never used it before, I screwed around with Deep Resonance for power. The process of refining a crystal is kinda fun, but man is the mod ever a buggy mess. The resonating crystal fluid is kinda weird, too -- it has NBT data, and only certain types of fluid pipes can transport it at all. EnderIO fluid conduits work, sometimes, but thermex fluiducts choke hard. The machines you use to purify and fortify the liquid frequently get stuck, and all parts have to be dismantled and reassembled in a specific order before they work again. (Fortunately, all machines retain their inventories, so this is mostly an inconvenience.)

The power output is pretty good, though. I got a crystal to 100% purity and ~80% strength/efficiency, and it outputs 16,000 RF/t and lasts for about a billion RF total.

Another drawback is that there is a radiation mechanic, but 100% purity crystals emit almost no radiation. I ended up sequestering the power generation to an empty spot in The End to be safe, though, and surrounded it with a bunch of the mod's anti-radiation blocks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Sage Grimm posted:

Which culminates in using a subnetwork to transfer all channels via P2P tunnels from a giant ME controller to control a giant AE2 system or pushing a dumb amount of channels through quantum entanglement to a chunk far away. You rarely need to do something like this, however, I only started when I hit post-scarcity and was doing Avaritia silliness.

No. If a cable runs out of channels then you'll find your devices have gone off-line, not split into two separate networks.

Well that's how it's supposed to work but I'm saying with the 1.7.10 series--and I think I actually replaced the one in Blightfall with a newer version--I got bit by that in particular once.

Ariong posted:

I might preempt that by seperating my essentia and item systems. There's really no reason they have to be together.
Nah that's not really a big deal. I generally throw the drives with my terminals on its own subnet and have never had a problem with that. It's just how I ran these around caused some strange behavior.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well I wanted an immediate solution to my power problems and decided to do this:
Gentlemen, BEHOLD.

CANOLA!

This how big the farm gets with a quartz range addon. I was originally going to max it out with emerald addons but I didn't have enough dirt since I had stopped using dense strainers and didn't set up any other passive dirt generation. The standard tin range addon doesn't keep up with a single oil generator, but this thing might just keep up with an oil generator and a mildly upgraded combustion dynamo.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Well I wanted an immediate solution to my power problems and decided to do this:
Gentlemen, BEHOLD.

CANOLA!

This how big the farm gets with a quartz range addon. I was originally going to max it out with emerald addons but I didn't have enough dirt since I had stopped using dense strainers and didn't set up any other passive dirt generation. The standard tin range addon doesn't keep up with a single oil generator, but this thing might just keep up with an oil generator and a mildly upgraded combustion dynamo.

Dont you have a rod of earth (i forget the actualy name of it)already. All you need is a rune of earth, 6 living wood and 1 piece of dirt to craft and it's free dirt forever.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Dont you have a rod of earth (i forget the actualy name of it)already. All you need is a rune of earth, 6 living wood and 1 piece of dirt to craft and it's free dirt forever.

Aaah, I forgot about that, dangit.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im still on 1.0 exoria.

Is manafluxfield disabled in later patches? (is it meant to be disabled in this patch?)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Meskhenet posted:

Im still on 1.0 exoria.

Is manafluxfield disabled in later patches? (is it meant to be disabled in this patch?)

Yes, its disabled in later patches. It was a big oversight to leave that in since you have infinite mana.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

McFrugal posted:

Yes, its disabled in later patches. It was a big oversight to leave that in since you have infinite mana.

Yeah im pretty much runnign my entire base on 1 pool LOL.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Meecreeps from the Direwolf pack update are pretty overpowered

The item costs 6 gold, 2 diamonds, and a chest. Right click to spawn a Meecreep (styled after Mr Meeseeks from Rick and Morty) - he spawns in and opens a dialog where you choose what he does. Context depends on what you right clicked.

Right click a tree, and you can have him chop down all the tree nearby - if you made a dense tree farm that grew for a while he'll chop down the whole thing with one command.

Right click the ground, he can start digging a 3-wide staircase (with stairs) down to bedrock - requires some Cobble to get started with the stairs, but once he starts mining he mostly supplies his own. You might need to pick up some of the cobble he's mined and drop it back down for him.

Right click the ground, he can start digging a shaft down to bedrock (requires ladders)

Right click a wall, he can start digging a 3x3 tunnel, 32 blocks long

Right click the ground, he can start building a platform, just supply the cobble (you can also use this to pave over liquid pools - if he burns up trying to build the platform just try again.

He does have some trouble with lava/liquids - I think if you were relying on him to pick up the mining drops and he found lava you'd lose that wad of stuff.

You can have multiple of them working at once - I had three digging tunnels, not sure what the upper limit is.

It costs no resources to spawn him once you've built the box.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Is there any disadvantage to using a colored lens in a void miner? Do the non-preferred resources get a penalty compared to a clear lens?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Devor posted:

Right click the ground, he can start digging a 3-wide staircase (with stairs) down to bedrock - requires some Cobble to get started with the stairs, but once he starts mining he mostly supplies his own. You might need to pick up some of the cobble he's mined and drop it back down for him.

Could you give him a ton of cobble in a skyblock map and have him just build the stairs down?

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Devor posted:

The item costs 6 gold, 2 diamonds, and a chest. Right click to spawn a Meecreep (styled after Mr Meeseeks from Rick and Morty) - he spawns in and opens a dialog where you choose what he does. Context depends on what you right clicked.

Right click a tree, and you can have him chop down all the tree nearby - if you made a dense tree farm that grew for a while he'll chop down the whole thing with one command.

Right click the ground, he can start digging a shaft down to bedrock (requires ladders)

Right click a wall, he can start digging a 3x3 tunnel, 32 blocks long

Right click the ground, he can start building a platform, just supply the cobble (you can also use this to pave over liquid pools - if he burns up trying to build the platform just try again.

He does have some trouble with lava/liquids - I think if you were relying on him to pick up the mining drops and he found lava you'd lose that wad of stuff.

You can have multiple of them working at once - I had three digging tunnels, not sure what the upper limit is.

It costs no resources to spawn him once you've built the box.

He can also clear out a volume up to 15 x 15 x 5 high, which is probably the most useful option imo. And giving multiple meecreeps the same task will make them do it faster.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Is there any disadvantage to using a colored lens in a void miner? Do the non-preferred resources get a penalty compared to a clear lens?

Yeah, the other resources won't show up as often. In the config, items for the void miners are given in terms of weight. The lens appears to multiply the weight for the item, though it doesn't look particularly consistent. My guess is that after the lens effect is applied to the weights, the weights are summed, and percentages are drawn based on the total weight.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I can't quite decide if I love the whole progression of Astral Sorcery, the way of crafting various things and some of the insane items, buffs, and abilities you can get at virtually no cost more than I hate Astral Sorcery for only being able to do anything half the time and being at the mercy of whichever constellations are visible on any given night.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Super Jay Mann posted:

I can't quite decide if I love the whole progression of Astral Sorcery, the way of crafting various things and some of the insane items, buffs, and abilities you can get at virtually no cost more than I hate Astral Sorcery for only being able to do anything half the time and being at the mercy of whichever constellations are visible on any given night.

This is where abusing mod interactions is a good idea. Blood magic has a ritual that can instantly make nighttime come. Using it during the night turns back the clock, allowing you to keep the same constellations in the sky indefinitely as long as you remember to whack the ritual stone every once in a while. Draconic Evolution also has the celestial manipulator, though it can't turn back time.

In Sevtech, I used the night time ritual and a bed to rapidly advance the day/night cycle so I could force the Horologium constellation out.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Super Jay Mann posted:

I hate it for relying on my bad mouse wheel to need to scroll twelve times to navigate a book

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Whalley posted:

I hate it for relying on my bad mouse wheel to need to scroll twelve times to navigate a book
You can also use W and S. :ssh:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Double clicking on a relevant section of the AS book will enter that section, as well.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Any tips on cleaning flux in thaumcraft 6? I am generating a worring amount.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Any tips on cleaning flux in thaumcraft 6? I am generating a worring amount.

Flux in TC6 is self-cleaning - it'll stack until it makes a rift which spooges out Taint creatures until the Flux level is back within sanity.

This has the benefit of making it a lot harder to cover the world in Taint.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

tell that to my chunkloaded taint chunk that spawned 256 wisps without meaningfully affecting the amount of flux in the atmosphere

i may have dumped 400 stacks of coal ore into a crucible and vented that poo poo though

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

tell that to my chunkloaded taint chunk that spawned 256 wisps without meaningfully affecting the amount of flux in the atmosphere

i may have dumped 400 stacks of coal ore into a crucible and vented that poo poo though

Aren't wisps just mob spawns that show up in magical biomes? Your tainted chunk needed to have land around it to spread and vent further flux, PLUS uh once there are enough tainted seeds spewing flux it's self-sustaining. You had like 20 in there, didn't you?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Aren't wisps just mob spawns that show up in magical biomes? Your tainted chunk needed to have land around it to spread and vent further flux, PLUS uh once there are enough tainted seeds spewing flux it's self-sustaining. You had like 20 in there, didn't you?

There were 8 taint seeds that the /cofh killall command took out, yeah. It was one loaded chunk far away from my base, so there were 256 wisps (that I never actually saw) clowning around inside that 16x16 area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

In Blightfall, I now have a setup for automatically generating Herba, Praecantatio, and Sano. Now I just need a way of automatically generating Vitium. Any suggestions? My only idea is to find a way to automatically spawn and then kill tainted monsters. I could find a way to auto-kill them, but as for spawning them, I got nothing.

EDIT:
Tainted Soil is a good Vitium source, so if tehre's is a way to automatically generate and then harvest it, I'm all for that.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 12, 2018