Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

basic hitler posted:

Keiko is unlikable and underused, but the actress sells her.

She was under-written as a talented but nagging wife objectified as little more than another one of obrien's suffering totems.

she was basically space battle axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Also Gul Dukat was actually the best space dictator in terms of charisma and realism.

When you read up on leaders like Saddam they had a natural charisma which made people believe in him and also the higher level idealogical cause.

There's a great book on Saddam's prison life in which how over time his charisma and personality started to win over guards so much that they eventually did favors for him.

The quality of Marc Alaimo's performance can't be overstated. I don't think any instance better evidences that than "Indiscretion", the episode where he and Kira go to find Ziyal. If someone had handed me this script, I would have considered it a punishment from God. Or some kind of vicious act of aggression from the writer's room for having complicated things by making Gul Dukat so much more captivating than anyone else on the set. Alaimo is expected to go from professional starship captain Dukat, to playfully macking on Kira, to mourning a lost love (and given approximately nine seconds to do this), to a painfully long sequence of him hurting his butt, to introspectively contemplating his need to kill his own daughter from a relationship he profoundly misses, to some kind of action scene.... And at one point sound genuinely happy that it is so hot while he stumbles along the side of a sand dune in 110° heat while wearing 18 pounds of lizard makeup.

That episode should be absolute torture to watch, and on paper the characterization is completely schizophrenic. And yet, not only is it an enjoyable episode, but somehow Dukat comes across as a cohesive and sympathetic character. Even though he's on a mission to kill his kid, not to mention cheat on his wife, and collect some pointers on slavery from the Breen. What the hell? It doesn't come across as literally possible. I don't know how the writers could have considered it possible. And yet, there you have it, another episode where he just juggernaut-style charismas his way through a garbage script and comes out smelling like roses.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pick posted:

What the hell? It doesn't come across as literally possible. I don't know how the writers could have considered it possible.
It's almost as if they, I don't know, had a way of crafting the story to the actors' strengths? Like you know where you need it to go and stop to think "can the person in the role do this or not "

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

It's almost as if they, I don't know, had a way of crafting the story to the actors' strengths? Like you know where you need it to go and stop to think "can the person in the role do this or not "

There's literally no reason to assume anyone can carry like ten minutes of extended butt torture. not on daytime tv anyway.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pick posted:

The quality of Marc Alaimo's performance can't be overstated.

Damar, you are tearing me apart!

naem
May 29, 2011

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

so if they just beam the piss and poo poo out of you, wouldn't people become incontinent from sphincter atrophy

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhInwkq4nAw

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

holy poo poo

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VectorSigma posted:

so if they just beam the piss and poo poo out of you, wouldn't people become incontinent from sphincter atrophy

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I want this for an avatar.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Someone add the Blazing Saddles farting scene sounds to this.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

Someone add the Blazing Saddles farting scene sounds to this.

hell, do both

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Pick posted:

Keiko is a totally normal person and it's not her fault that the cool stuff she does is offscreen.
It's a problem with what we actually see. Keiko might be perfectly reasonable, but if all we see is her being a problem for O'Brien and complaining about things (perhaps reasonably, even), then, well, that's what she is to the viewer. She has no role in the show other than being an obstacle to a main character.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she really did do that replicator vegetarian thing once, right?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
odo bein such a virgin, even after he aint

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

odo bein such a virgin, even after he aint

Odo would be a virgin with every new orifice Odo made.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

she really did do that replicator vegetarian thing once, right?

And was this before or after Vulcans were all veggies?
Can't recall Spock mentioning it in TOS.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

happyhippy posted:

And was this before or after Vulcans were all veggies?
Can't recall Spock mentioning it in TOS.

I remember it being mentioned in TAS of all things when they were trying to make the psychic cat feel sick.

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

Is ENT S3E15 (rivalry with the spess muhreen officer) supposed to make me sympathetic to Malcolm? He's just a whiny petty oval office

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The crazy thing is a free times in DS9 they run into a plant problem they have trouble solving and one of the characters is like "Too bad Keiko is at a conference/Grandma's 150th birthday/Bajoran tea ceremony"

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Dukat did nothing wrong

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Noctone posted:

Dukat did nothing wrong

getting all hopped up on satan ghosts was pretty wrong, actually

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bajorians have two natural states which is being smug or being dead in piles after another misguided military adventure.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

getting all hopped up on satan ghosts was pretty wrong, actually

his heart was in the right place, trying to dominate bajorans like they deserve

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Started watching Babylon 5 again, I've never finished the series. Managed to watch most of the pilot movie which was pretty weird. I had never seen it before and the music was like rock & roll poo poo it was pretty different! It's a pretty dang good show though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mods change my name posted:

Started watching Babylon 5 again, I've never finished the series. Managed to watch most of the pilot movie which was pretty weird. I had never seen it before and the music was like rock & roll poo poo it was pretty different! It's a pretty dang good show though.

I honestly like Babylon 5 a lot more than Star Trek, including the first season which is pretty rough, but jesus, 2-4 are p much unparalleled.

One of the few shows that said it was one long arc and actually loving meant it and didn't have a bunch of bullshit dropped threads or weird segues or new bullshit out of nowhere. (And it's also incredible how well a tightly-plotted show accommodated major characters leaving due to matters with the actors and actresses.)

Season 5 is obviously weird but that's because no one thought it would get a season 5 and as a result, most everything is wrapped up at the end of S4 and most of the cast have no reason to be on the god damned station any more and aaaa! It's honestly better to think of Season 5 as a spinoff series. Of course if you buy the episodes or whatever, Sleeping in Light will be put into Season 5, and that's obviously the episode planned to play at the end of a non-renewed Season 4. And gently caress that episode makes me cry! Like a little bitch! EVERY! loving! TIME!

Pick fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 8, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Noctone posted:

his heart was in the right place, trying to dominate bajorans like they deserve

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

It's honestly better to think of Season 5 as a spinoff series.

Season 5 was too good for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWtuKm6C1Sw

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Babylon 5 had countless scenes that still get a rise out of my crusty old heart

(Note: don't watch if you haven't seen the rest of the show first!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrPe80sxlm4

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

:stare:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I truly wish there could have been a crossover promotional event or something between B5 and DS9, like one of those dumb televised charity things they used to do, or whatever, because honestly the rivalry between the two is kind of dumb. every nerd had time to watch both. it doesn't matter which is better if they're both worth watching, and they are. I mean I'm not dumb, I get they were on different networks, it just would have been fun.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I feel like if your show is made with a shoestring budget, you should probably avoid centering all your big action scenes on someone suspended on wires in front of a blue screen punching fireballs at mid-90’s video game spaceships.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I feel like if your show is made with a shoestring budget, you should probably avoid centering all your big action scenes on someone suspended on wires in front of a blue screen punching fireballs at mid-90’s video game spaceships.

Well that was a TV movie so it had its own separate budget

It's weird, Babylon 5 has a ton of tv movies and Star trek somehow has zero

One of them even had fuckin Martin Sheen

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Wow that's an off-model Lexx.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Well that was a TV movie so it had its own separate budget

It's weird, Babylon 5 has a ton of tv movies and Star trek somehow has zero

One of them even had fuckin Martin Sheen

it's extremely weird we never got a ds9 tv movie. not a movie-movie i could see, but no tv movie?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Pick posted:

I honestly like Babylon 5 a lot more than Star Trek, including the first season which is pretty rough, but jesus, 2-4 are p much unparalleled.

One of the few shows that said it was one long arc and actually loving meant it and didn't have a bunch of bullshit dropped threads or weird segues or new bullshit out of nowhere. (And it's also incredible how well a tightly-plotted show accommodated major characters leaving due to matters with the actors and actresses.)

Season 5 is obviously weird but that's because no one thought it would get a season 5 and as a result, most everything is wrapped up at the end of S4 and most of the cast have no reason to be on the god damned station any more and aaaa! It's honestly better to think of Season 5 as a spinoff series. Of course if you buy the episodes or whatever, Sleeping in Light will be put into Season 5, and that's obviously the episode planned to play at the end of a non-renewed Season 4. And gently caress that episode makes me cry! Like a little bitch! EVERY! loving! TIME!

remind me because its been awhile, and gently caress spoilers this show is 90s as gently caress, but in the first episode Londo is like "Dkar and I will be choking the poo poo out of each other" and they finally did in season 3 or something? I think I only ever got as far as the first 3 seasons but I really appreciated that show really did write a lot of poo poo in advanced and planned it. Come to think of it, and tbh it was probably in this thread I dont remember, but I think the dude that wrote it like preplanned it as far as like "if actor A leaves the show I have a backup plan to make the story still work" and like some really like, long term story telling planning which I can't think of another show that probably did anything nearly as complex or as planned for as that.

Like the only thing I can immediately think of is they start early trying to build up Sinclair as being the loving man, but man dude had loving SCHIZOPHRENIA and that has to be mental as gently caress talking to like aliens and poo poo. Anyhow ol Bruce comes in but I think he did right.

I'm really drunk and high, sorry

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the main plot of b5 was great, but it had some truly dire standalone eps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

the main plot of b5 was great, but it had some truly dire standalone eps

I think it had exactly one standalone ep ever, the mutai