Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

I woulda agreed with that if the OP didn't confirm his gf literally wanted him to give her free poo poo in game. That sort of dynamic pretty much destroys ffa games like catan.

He cares about the result, her the journey. Catan is not a good competitive game regardless, there's always bias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah Catan kind of sucks, definitely not worth throwing a relationship away over.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Clarity:

quote:

There was a moment when I traded a resource with her and she deceived me. It was fun, we all had a laugh. Later on she asked for a resource, so I playfully gave her the middle finger. After the game she called me out on this and I apologised immediately.
that feels like really light ribbing to me in a tit for tat fashion and she's more upset he didn't let her win than his behavior in game. I'd give her more benefit of the doubt if she didn't directly bring up another couple where the guy was just giving his gf a free advantage. Like if the story didn't include any of the middle details I would deffo guess the OP was just being way too competitive and was a dick to play with, but there's plenty of info to suggest the gf does have an incredibly strong case of butthurt over losing and that's what caused the problem.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah but remember the rule: we're only seeing his side of the story, presented in the best possible light

he probably got way too into it in the way that nerds do and he gloated and talked poo poo nonstop and was hurtful

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

yeah but remember the rule: we're only seeing his side of the story, presented in the best possible light

he probably got way too into it in the way that nerds do and he gloated and talked poo poo nonstop and was hurtful

He specifically said he didn't do that in the comments but who knows he could be lying. Again I'd say the incident of her going "but bob gave jane free sheep" is the most telling aspect of the story. If dude just posted that his gf got butthurt for no reason and was oversensitive about in game banter I'd assume he was being a dick, but that's a detail that's pretty specific and feels like more the core of the problem. He mentioned he's also just willing to not play ffa games like that with her and she just got more mad so while I know we like to poo poo on the nerd stereotype it really sounds like the problem here is hers unless we just make up stuff and assume he's lying.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
settlers of tedium

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Settlers of Catan is actually about competing communist societies. All resources go directly to the state (the player), who allocates them toward whatever project will do the most good. The only official bad guy in the game is the Robber Baron, e.g. a capitalist for hire who selfishly collects resources for himself instead of providing them to the people/the state, where they will do the most good.

It's not a co-op game tho

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

He specifically said he didn't do that in the comments but who knows he could be lying. Again I'd say the incident of her going "but bob gave jane free sheep" is the most telling aspect of the story. If dude just posted that his gf got butthurt for no reason and was oversensitive about in game banter I'd assume he was being a dick, but that's a detail that's pretty specific and feels like more the core of the problem. He mentioned he's also just willing to not play ffa games like that with her and she just got more mad so while I know we like to poo poo on the nerd stereotype it really sounds like the problem here is hers unless we just make up stuff and assume he's lying.
Don't flip off your gf for a terrible reason if you're already having relationship problems imo

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That seemed like a pretty good situation for a comedic middle finger imo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

It's not a co-op game tho

I didn't say that it was:

QuarkJets posted:

Settlers of Catan is actually about competing communist societies. All resources go directly to the state (the player), who allocates them toward whatever project will do the most good. The only official bad guy in the game is the Robber Baron, e.g. a capitalist for hire who selfishly collects resources for himself instead of providing them to the people/the state, where they will do the most good.

Communist governments don't have to just freely cooperate with each other, in reality they can (and do) trade and compete in various ways

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I didn't say that it was:

Communist governments don't have to just freely cooperate with each other, in reality they can (and do) trade and compete in various ways

A tennent of that and hence the old block (in theory) is that they are cooperative though. You don't want a fellow communist neighbor state to fail but a fellow competative capitalist state failing is a boon for exploitation.

But yeah I read your post fast.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

ArbitraryC posted:

Clarity:

that feels like really light ribbing to me in a tit for tat fashion and she's more upset he didn't let her win than his behavior in game. I'd give her more benefit of the doubt if she didn't directly bring up another couple where the guy was just giving his gf a free advantage. Like if the story didn't include any of the middle details I would deffo guess the OP was just being way too competitive and was a dick to play with, but there's plenty of info to suggest the gf does have an incredibly strong case of butthurt over losing and that's what caused the problem.

I think we need to believe women especially since as sagebrush points out

Sagebrush posted:

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Has since been deleted. Just another manchild.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Caganer posted:

I think we need to believe women especially since as sagebrush points out
No "women" was posting here tho. Stop it.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Negrostrike posted:

Easy - ask her. When she lays out an ultimatum (now or never) op can point out ultimatums are a form of emotional abuse. Lol owned!

ArbitraryC posted:

No "women" was posting here tho. Stop it.

You’re not my real dad

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Barbarian cousin is maybe my favourite story. At no point does she mention anything bad he does except for being a bit rude. But the fact that he's big and quiet and has money apparently makes him a bad person? She labels him a freak for being able to repave their driveway, yeesh.

As someone who was regularly called a freak by my own sister growing up, that is a really nasty word to use for someone who is only being helpful.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Settlers of Catan is actually about competing communist societies. wood for sheep jokes

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Goons: Gamers are utter filth trash garbage slugnoid sub-human scum who are all worse than Hitler, and Stalin, and maybe even Mao.
Also goons: Multi-page derail about the nuances of a specific table-top game, on which half of the thread’s posters inexplicably appear to be experts.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Goons: Gamers are utter filth trash garbage slugnoid sub-human scum who are all worse than Hitler, and Stalin, and maybe even Mao.
Also goons: Multi-page derail about the nuances of a specific table-top game, on which half of the thread’s posters inexplicably appear to be experts.

You say that like those two statements are incompatible with each other.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Wow, I never knew that the fact I'd never felt the urge to drink pee was some kind of an achievement.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Wow, I never knew that the fact I'd never felt the urge to drink pee was some kind of an achievement.

that's one cheevo girls do care about

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Achievement Unlocked: Yellow Is Not Mellow

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I used to argue all the time with Mrs. Bastard while playing cards. After eight years I've finally got her to understand that there's no point in playing the game if you're going to do it wrong because of feelings (wouldn't trump her dad's tricks, would get mad if I trumped hers).

Still can't get her to pay the slightest bit of attention to whose turn it is to shuffle, deal, or lead.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

They should teach this in modern literature classes

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Negrostrike posted:

I don’t think you understand what a World Cup final will mean for the countries playing in it and the fiancée needs to get on board quickly.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SirSamVimes posted:

Barbarian cousin is maybe my favourite story. At no point does she mention anything bad he does except for being a bit rude. But the fact that he's big and quiet and has money apparently makes him a bad person? She labels him a freak for being able to repave their driveway, yeesh.

As someone who was regularly called a freak by my own sister growing up, that is a really nasty word to use for someone who is only being helpful.

"He's got to be at least 6'5" and he's brawny as hell, like a muscle guy. He's huge compared to any of us. I remember thinking "I don't know this person, and he could hurt me easily", he's not a boy, he's a man."

He's probably black.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Total Meatlove posted:

I don’t think you understand what a World Cup final will mean for the countries playing in it and the fiancée needs to get on board quickly.

Isn't England still in the semis?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

And what will it mean?
I'm genuinely curious. I keep hearing this said but no one ever explains.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And what will it mean?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And what will it mean?

their wedding car gon get flipped over and lit on fire by the groomsmen

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Imagine the Miracle on Ice but more than 6 countries cared.

Tuesday and Wednesday are going to shut down most of England France and Belgium

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

I don't live in Either of those countries but I'm taking a half day off to watch the England game.

I've never followed this poo poo in my life but I'm all in at this point.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

I don’t know what it’s like in Croatia but I imagine it’s pretty similar.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Total Meatlove posted:

This doesn't tell me anything, though. "Several countries care!" Okay?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Malachite_Dragon posted:

All you need to know is It's coming home.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
By "care" he means the entire country is basically going to stop while it's on

Soccer owns

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

A groom is seriously considering postponing his wedding. People will not judge him for it

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I will. I will judge the hell out of him. It's a game. You're about to get married.

I also have very little respect for soccer because if I wanted to watch grown men fling themselves to the ground and have a tantrum every time things don't go their way, I'd watch C-Span.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

A groom is seriously considering postponing his wedding. People will not judge him for it

Yeah like people wouldn't even think twice about telling him to go. A lot of people.

Its not even like the super bowl / world series / nba playoffs / stanely cup / world series of poker. Its a huge loving deal.

EDIT: I won't lie my first thought was that he should go. I don't live in his country and I am not even a soccer fan but my gut reaction was that he should go. That should tell you something about what a huge deal it really is.