Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Coldforge posted:

Playoff odds from Oddshark:

Rams -170
49ers +135
Seahawks +220
Cardinals +800

Looks right.

Rams please do better with your good team than last year.

I think third place is a toss-up and could even be 49ers if Jimmy disappoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Rams please do better with your good team than last year.

I think third place is a toss-up and could even be 49ers if Jimmy disappoints.

I really think the niners are.being over-rated / the trendy comeback team pick. I hope they turn out like the rams of years past. Always hyped for a breakout but simply not putting it all together

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

EmbryoSteve posted:

I really think the niners are.being over-rated / the trendy comeback team pick. I hope they turn out like the rams of years past. Always hyped for a breakout but simply not putting it all together

There is a difference between those teams and this one in that they are not coached by Jeff Fisher.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
https://twitter.com/BR_NFL/status/1016140471347830785?s=19

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I was so happy to see him in a Pats jersey for this!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
:psyduck:

What the gently caress is it with guys leaving the NFL and deciding to take up doing felonies as their next project?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Keith Atherton posted:

What the gently caress is it with guys leaving the NFL and deciding to take up doing felonies as their next project?

Tbf, this case is probably just a one-off thing unique to Browner and his NFL history; playing for the Seahawks followed by the Patriots didn’t exactly give him a solid grounding in legal or ethical behavior.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Jimmy G's gonna get arrested for smoking crack in a dumpster after he washes out of the league. Book it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Keith Atherton posted:

if you do pretty much any football act off the field, it's a felony

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also there's been several thousand young men in the NFL over the last say three decades, if they commit crimes at the same rate as the general population we should expect dozens annually and that would not say anything meaningful about the NFL itself.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Leperflesh posted:

Also there's been several thousand young men in the NFL over the last say three decades, if they commit crimes at the same rate as the general population we should expect dozens annually and that would not say anything meaningful about the NFL itself.

If you correct for wealth I think it's pretty abnormal. Not to mention that when they're autopsied half their brain has "somehow" melted away

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
https://twitter.com/AZCardinals/status/1016490230382116864

Jed York is gonna come out as pro-ICE tomorrow or something

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I don't like nfc w football

I love nfc w football

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bidwell is a sentimental fool so that does not surprise me one bit. Not to mention a veritable icon of privilege

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I don't like nfc w football

I love nfc w football

:hai:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Play posted:

If you correct for wealth I think it's pretty abnormal. Not to mention that when they're autopsied half their brain has "somehow" melted away

idk how much I buy into counting NFL players who didn't get their first payday til 21-23 as "wealthy" for demographic purposes

Play
Apr 25, 2006

indigi posted:

idk how much I buy into counting NFL players who didn't get their first payday til 21-23 as "wealthy" for demographic purposes

I pulled that argument out of my rear end so it's probably bullshit. But I do believe that playing in the NFL makes people more prone to violence for a lot of different reasons.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What the heck is UCR?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm not sure what exactly it stands for but it's just the general population of men aged 20-39. From what I can tell football players are arrested at much lower rates in terms of property crime and public order crimes, they are reasonably far above average in terms of violent crime.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What the heck is UCR?

Universal Crime Rate

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Edit: too late

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

What the heck is UCR?

Uncircumsised Runningback

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Play posted:

I pulled that argument out of my rear end so it's probably bullshit. But I do believe that playing in the NFL makes people more prone to violence for a lot of different reasons.

The lack of a label on the y axis is a big problem. The extreme swinginess of the NFL line suggests a very small sample size such that random variance had an outsized effect, and that in turn suggests too small of a sample size to draw a valid conclusion.

I suspect the too-small sample size is because this tracks only current and not former NFL players.

Where did you get the chart from?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

The lack of a label on the y axis is a big problem. The extreme swinginess of the NFL line suggests a very small sample size such that random variance had an outsized effect, and that in turn suggests too small of a sample size to draw a valid conclusion.

I suspect the too-small sample size is because this tracks only current and not former NFL players.

Where did you get the chart from?

The National Felon League?: A comparison of NFL arrests to general population arrests

journal of criminal justice

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah right, thanks. The paper is behind a paywall on the various academic sites that cite it, but here's the abstract (taken from ScienceDirect):

quote:

Abstract
Purpose

In the past few years, media attention to crime and violence committed by NFL players has increased. This paper compares NFL arrest rates to U.S. general population arrest rates from 2000 to 2013.
Methods

The current study uses online databases that contain information of NFL player arrests and UCR arrest data to calculate rates of arrest for violent crimes, property crimes, and public order crimes, for both the NFL and general population. Two-sample test of proportions are used to assess differences between the arrest rates for NFL players and the general population.
Results

Findings indicate that the general population has higher rates of arrests than the NFL population for property crimes and public order crimes, but NFL arrest rates for violent crimes are higher than for the general population in six of the fourteen yearly comparisons.
Conclusion

This study provides data on crime in the NFL. It offers some but not strong or consistent support to those that are concerned about violence among NFL players, but it does not support the claim that NFL players are more criminal than the general population.

The study citation list includes links to the UCR data for the reported years, but not the NFL arrest data. I do find e.g. http://nflarrest.com/ as online sources, but that data for example is only for the current (1700 actively employed) NFL players and not former players. But that data has e.g. 100 domestic violence arrests, 74 assault arrests, and 8 total murder/manslaughter arrests, over a period of 18 years. For domestic violence that's probably at or near a statistically valid sample, and arguably for assaults it's OK, but it's definitely far too few murder/manslaughter arrests to draw conclusions from.

I suspect current, active NFL players are involved in more violence-related arrests than the general public. I would attribute that in part to their youth (they should be compared to a demographic specifically matching their age, which is younger than the general population); their newfound wealth and fame, which may affect behavior; and perhaps also the cumulative effects of head injuries, but it'd be pretty hard to tease out that particular factor from all the others.

It's a fascinating idea though.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Ah right, thanks. The paper is behind a paywall on the various academic sites that cite it, but here's the abstract (taken from ScienceDirect):

The study citation list includes links to the UCR data for the reported years, but not the NFL arrest data. I do find e.g. http://nflarrest.com/ as online sources, but that data for example is only for the current (1700 actively employed) NFL players and not former players. But that data has e.g. 100 domestic violence arrests, 74 assault arrests, and 8 total murder/manslaughter arrests, over a period of 18 years. For domestic violence that's probably at or near a statistically valid sample, and arguably for assaults it's OK, but it's definitely far too few murder/manslaughter arrests to draw conclusions from.

I suspect current, active NFL players are involved in more violence-related arrests than the general public. I would attribute that in part to their youth (they should be compared to a demographic specifically matching their age, which is younger than the general population); their newfound wealth and fame, which may affect behavior; and perhaps also the cumulative effects of head injuries, but it'd be pretty hard to tease out that particular factor from all the others.

It's a fascinating idea though.

Yeah I wouldn't expect an immense difference, I mean they're still just people like the rest of us; in fact they're better off and theoretically have less reason (more to lose and less to gain) to commit crimes than probably some of us do. I think the factors you named are correct, though. Without being too specific I would also say that growing up completely immersed in the football world (as many of these guys do) can cause you to be deficient in areas that don't relate to football, for example your personal relationships. When you are adulated by people and women throw themselves at you also it would potentially distort your view of a normal relationship. Finally, there may be something to do with the fact that violence is taught, nourished and encouraged on the football field by figures of authority. I think for some players it can probably be hard to transition seamlessly to normal life after doing that basically every single day of your life.

I think college and pro organizations could do a better job preparing players for non-football things but for the most part I just think it's interesting, not really trying to make any particular point.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Rich people aren't less likely to commit crimes they're just less likely to suffer any consequences for doing them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Rich people aren't less likely to commit crimes they're just less likely to suffer any consequences for doing them.

I didn't say they did I said they have less reason to. Most especially an NFL player who will be found out and lose his job. They're also lectured all the time about not getting in trouble in a way normal people aren't.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It may also be as simple as NFL players attract more attention and thus are more likely to be seen by a cop, or to have the cops called on them, vs. non-famous people.

To put it another way: an abused spouse or girlfriend may know they have more leverage by calling the cops on their NFL boyfriend, while the average abused spouse/girlfriend fears that calling the cops will only make things worse after the cops leave and nobody else gives a poo poo.

This is all speculation, though. My only point was that we lack sufficient evidence to draw (scientific/statistically valid) conclusions about how head injuries affect arrest rates of active NFL players.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

This is all speculation, though. My only point was that we lack sufficient evidence to draw (scientific/statistically valid) conclusions about how head injuries affect arrest rates of active NFL players.

Yeah that's not possible, and anyways some of these players are too young to really have damage to the brain. I think the social and emotional aspects we mentioned are the main difference.

If there were numbers for retired folks I might guess the opposite though, that brain damage is the main factor.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Play posted:

anyways some of these players are too young to really have damage to the brain.

It literally only takes a single collision or concussion to really have damage to the brain brosef. Maybe they don't have Junior Seau suicidal CTE brain yet but come on this is an outrageous statement. Highschoolers are getting brain damage from football. Age is not really a factor in getting your brain busted playing football, all ages can be broke brained by this dumb bloodsport

Play
Apr 25, 2006

EmbryoSteve posted:

It literally only takes a single collision or concussion to really have damage to the brain brosef. Maybe they don't have Junior Seau suicidal CTE brain yet but come on this is an outrageous statement. Highschoolers are getting brain damage from football. Age is not really a factor in getting your brain busted playing football, all ages can be broke brained by this dumb bloodsport

By "really have damage to the brain" I'm talking about the real hard poo poo which will have a large and obvious effect on behavior, which typically is the result of repeated, sustained concussions over many years, the kind of severe brain damage that causes Alzheimer's and other serious conditions. Obviously you're correct apart from that

I'm really taking it from both sides this morning huh

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Hasn’t they been saying it’s those “micro-hits” they continuously take that leads to CTE, not necessarily straight concussions? (Though concussions will definitely gently caress you up, just in the more straight forward and obvious way)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes. And there are kids with brain damage from one or more brain injuries.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cte-symptoms-youth-football-before-age-12/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5491586/
Hits sustained playing football as a child can have instant and devastating effects. The brain at that age is extremely vulnerable and it's increasingly clear that children simply should not be playing tackle football, ever. Most of the current and former NFL players would have been playing tackle football as kids.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Tyler Hilinski, the 2nd string QB for WSU who committed suicide at age 22 earlier this year had his brain scanned, and it resembled that of a 64 year old from all the hits he had taken. And he wasn't even the starter.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

latinotwink1997 posted:

Hasn’t they been saying it’s those “micro-hits” they continuously take that leads to CTE, not necessarily straight concussions? (Though concussions will definitely gently caress you up, just in the more straight forward and obvious way)

Yeah basically every time your brain comes into contact with the inside of your skull it takes damage. It doesn't take a lot to have that happen at all, you can get a sever concussion just falling down on a hard surface, even if your head doesn't hit the ground at any point. It might actually be better to get a severe concussion because at least you can make note of it and maybe stop playing for a bit. The small ones you often can't even feel but they're happening, slowly eating away at your brain every single practice, every single game.

seiferguy posted:

Tyler Hilinski, the 2nd string QB for WSU who committed suicide at age 22 earlier this year had his brain scanned, and it resembled that of a 64 year old from all the hits he had taken. And he wasn't even the starter.

Disgusting, and now imagine what it's like for a man who played in college AND the pros. Say he played four years in each; you could easily have the brain of an 80/90 year old person by the time you're 28.

I think it's clear that some people are much more susceptible to this kind of damage as well, and some people don't seem to be much affected.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
drat I just realized next time we play SF I will have a son

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

drat I just realized next time we play SF I will have a son

That's good, because that game's going to be an abortion

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
:vince:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rewatched the Rams - 49ers game from week 3 last season. Easily a contender for regular season game of the year. Hopefully the 49ers are better this season and a new (old) rivalry blossoms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Play posted:

Rewatched the Rams - 49ers game from week 3 last season. Easily a contender for regular season game of the year. Hopefully the 49ers are better this season and a new (old) rivalry blossoms

#beatLA

• Locked thread