Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Fact: All Roes are chill and really good at the game and incredibly pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Catboy Paladin is pretty tough but when you've got an Au Ra healer you better stay in tank stance

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mordiceius posted:

Someone being a creeper? Probably a catboy.
While there are terrible players everywhere, I feel like the catboys are a fuggin honeypot trap for the worst people in the game.

You know drat well this is 100% lalafels.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Half of Dracula posted:

Catboy Paladin is pretty tough but when you've got an Au Ra healer you better stay in tank stance

The best (re: actually DPSing) healers I've grouped with have almost universally been either female Miqo'te or Au Ra, and the absolute worst have been loving catboys. The truth is out there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

EGSunBro posted:

Sometimes they are entirely too chill though and forget that sometimes they need to do mechanics.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The important lesson from this discussion is, as I've frequently said, to Just Play Highlander.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Come Play Highlander, M'lord

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

As a male catgirl, I'm insulted by this slander.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Vermain posted:

The important lesson from this discussion is, as I've frequently said, to Just Play Highlander.

It's true. Everyone forget's when a Highlander does something because they are boring human-likes.

Although someone did go "... Dad?" at me once way back in COB.

We had the same face model and hairstyle but he had black hair and no mustache while I have grey-ish hair and a mustache :v:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Just play a gorilla elf like Crystal Mom intended. :colbert:

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

EponymousMrYar posted:

Sometimes they are entirely too chill though and forget that sometimes they need to do mechanics.

It's sometimes just hard to see the aoe markers from way up here

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Vermain posted:

agreed

i think it's a shame that if you're a Highlander the game never mentions it when you're liberating Ala Mhigo, though now that i've freed it i don't know why anyone would actually want to live in that barren shithole.

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 9, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

When Monster Factory played FFXIV, they picked my highlander base face and I feel honored

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

FFXI didn't allow male catpeople. That was maybe the right decision in retrospect (although their Roe equivalent could only be male, which is the absolute wrong decision).

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Vermain posted:

If you play as a human in an MMO, you probably order bread pizzas and toast sandwiches.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

i think it's a shame that if you're a Highlander the game never mentions it when you're liberating Ala Mhigo, though now that i've freed it i don't know why anyone would actually want to live in that barren shithole.

It's because most (but not all) Highlanders come from there, so it'd be weird to just assume. I had a good laugh when Lyse called herself a Highlander, though. You have the drat cutesy Midlander run, lady!

Vermain fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 9, 2018

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Failboattootoot posted:

You know drat well this is 100% lalafels.

Lalafels are megalomaniacs but that's about it. Creepers are pretty much universally catboys.

The venn diagram of fedora wearing m'lady type and catboys is pretty much a drat circle.

When you realize this, it suddenly makes sense why 99% of people who post screenshots of their characters on reddit are catboys.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Every single catboy player I know is a 30+ year old mother. Like without exception.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Vermain posted:

It's because most (but not all) Highlanders come from there, so it'd be weird to just assume. I had a good laugh when Lyse called herself a Highlander, though. You have the drat cutesy Midlander run, lady!

I still want to know how Lyse is pale as hell despite everybody from Raubahn and her dad's hometown being swarthy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Catboy Paladin reporting in to say gently caress all yall

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

catmen unite

https://twitter.com/FrischeNq/status/1003451089478344706

dont leave me RDM trainer

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Crying girl, weird male catgirl. Checks out. :v:

Rosalind posted:

FFXI didn't allow male catpeople. That was maybe the right decision in retrospect (although their Roe equivalent could only be male, which is the absolute wrong decision).

Granted I only played 11 for like two hours, but that was always a weird decision to me. I'm sure there was some ingame reason, but limiting a race to just one gender seems kinda boring in an mmo. I also recall Tera having a similar problem, buried beneath a multitude of others.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Brainamp posted:

Crying girl, weird male catgirl. Checks out. :v:
he's literally saying, "i'm a nice guy"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

jigokuman posted:

he's literally saying, "i'm a nice guy"

Yup. That's your average catboy right there. Like unironically, in my mind that is how I see every catboy I encounter.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

EGSunBro posted:

Man I wish I could agree with this but any male Roe DPS I meet single targets and tanks don't know how to hold aggro and show up in Ala-Mhigo in NQ white left side.

Never met a femroe in game.

Rosalind posted:

Wasn't all of this true in FF14 1.0 as well? On top of there not actually being female highlanders?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Brainamp posted:

Granted I only played 11 for like two hours, but that was always a weird decision to me. I'm sure there was some ingame reason, but limiting a race to just one gender seems kinda boring in an mmo. I also recall Tera having a similar problem, buried beneath a multitude of others.

With more modern MMOs (and I'm sure some older ones), in particular action MMOs, it can take a lot of work to develop animations for a particular class/race combination. TERA's new classes are locked to a handful of race/gender combinations, for instance.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Wasn't all of this true in FF14 1.0 as well? On top of there not actually being female highlanders?

Yes. Don't know the reason but random guess is probably just keeping in line with FFXI.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there some way to know which auras indicate "enemy is about to kill you" and which ones are something a party member is doing? I just finished the original ARR story stuff (through killing Ultima Weapon) and during the final dungeon I would constantly be confused as to whether these big area effects were something a party member (the tank maybe?) was doing and which ones (if any) were bad. Some were sorta yellowish (I'm colorblind so this might not be accurate) and others were blue/purple-ish. The enemy things that cause a red area are obvious, but occasionally they seem to do AoE attacks that don't make the red area appear first (like some boss in a level 40-something dungeon that would do a 1-shot swing in a big circle without any red appearing beforehand).

Obviously there's always trial and error, though I'd prefer to avoid making a fool out of myself if possible. In the situation mentioned above it never factored in, because there were some overpowered people steamrolling us through the final dungeon.

(Speaking of the final dungeon, I actually felt bad for Gaius. Poor fucker puts in all this hard work, and Warrior of Light strolls in with her bullshit crystal powers and burns everything to the ground.)

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Brainamp posted:

Yeah, it was lore reasons: Mithra were super matriarchal to the point that the rare males were kept cloistered out of pubic view and the Galka were a mono-gendered race that reproduced through a type of reincarnation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Is there some way to know which auras indicate "enemy is about to kill you" and which ones are something a party member is doing? I just finished the original ARR story stuff (through killing Ultima Weapon) and during the final dungeon I would constantly be confused as to whether these big area effects were something a party member (the tank maybe?) was doing and which ones (if any) were bad. Some were sorta yellowish (I'm colorblind so this might not be accurate) and others were blue/purple-ish. The enemy things that cause a red area are obvious, but occasionally they seem to do AoE attacks that don't make the red area appear first (like some boss in a level 40-something dungeon that would do a 1-shot swing in a big circle without any red appearing beforehand).

Obviously there's always trial and error, though I'd prefer to avoid making a fool out of myself if possible. In the situation mentioned above it never factored in, because there were some overpowered people steamrolling us through the final dungeon.

(Speaking of the final dungeon, I actually felt bad for Gaius. Poor fucker puts in all this hard work, and Warrior of Light strolls in with her bullshit crystal powers and burns everything to the ground.)

AoEs have different sets of rules you need to learn. Basically though anything that isn't the blue/purplish color is an enemy AoE and there are different rules for them. (Blue/purple is allied.) As you progress you'll see more and more and have to gradually learn then but assume most of them are dangerous.

There are also enemies who have no tells. The Cyclops foe is common for this but more appear later and Extreme boss fights love to remove AoE markers. Generally you'll learn how these work through trial and error or learning. (Almost all the cyclops enemies follow the same rules for example.)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ytlaya posted:

Off the top of my head the main persistent aoes players can drop are the Ninja's Doton, which is a patch of brown with a slight smoke effect, and Earthly Star, which is a white-blue spark circled by smaller sparks rotating around it marking its radius. The latter will heal party members too.

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

This is a huge rear end image for a tank guide, but it has images at the bottom of it of all the AoE effects you might see from party members, if you want a visual reference: https://i.imgur.com/2ngxaQu.png

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Ytlaya posted:

He's not the last person to feel that way. :razz:

One of things I like coming from WoW to this game is most of the bullshit OP plot points are things we do and not some jerk npc and it just feels really good.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Generalizing players based on races is really kinda of unsettling, for a whole myriad of reasons. Like maybe don't be discriminatory towards people playing what they think is cool in a fantasy game?

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Found the catboy male catgirl

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Lalafell did the Sixth Umbral Calamity

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Hey this sucks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

Generalizing players based on races is really kinda of unsettling, for a whole myriad of reasons. Like maybe don't be discriminatory towards people playing what they think is cool in a fantasy game?

Then don't play a catboy. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It is unsettling how many #LalaMasterRace memes get thrown out on my server. There was even an advertisement for a Fancy Feast Linkshell way back in ARR where the key points were: being a cat-person of whichever gender and willing to talk about eating Lalafell.

That's unsettling.

I need to take more pictures of my character. My last one was me hitting screenshot on Siegfried in O5n right before he died :shobon:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Agreed. I'm sure most people are joking but when it's repeated again and again because it's just what the community does, it comes off as incredibly unsettling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Mega agree. I think performative "har har catboys/potatoes/giraffes" fantasy racism is, at best, a pretty tacky joke in 2018, when you're pretty likely to come across actual neo-nazis in Novice Network or shouting in Rhalgr's Reach. I've had to boot people from NN for loudly and consistently saying that people like me, IRL I mean, should be put into gas chambers. When we have that kind of stuff to put up with day in and day out what's the good in ironically modeling the way we joke about our leisure time after the same poo poo?

Like, at the end of the day it's just fake pixelated wizards and elves, but is anyone actually laughing and getting a kick out of this schtick? When people blather on about "<x> master race" in any context is nobody else just a little creeped out by the thought of what saturating our rhetorical spaces with that kind of stuff does in the long-run? Where's that poster who just posts their cool duskwight glams, I'd rather see somebody earnestly and enthusiastically stoked about their character and getting them to look a way that's pleasant to them in this piss world than have everybody inexplicably pretend to be fantasy racist as some weird extended bit.

And full disclosure, I don't play a miqote, I play a lalafell, so I don't know, do your potato joke or whatever you need to do.