Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

JBP posted:

I don't think a single one of my science student friends is still here. Most are in California, a couple have gone to the UK. I remember one mate who has gone to the US was doing some interesting thing with plants and biomedicine that sounded extremely galaxy brain, but then he told me they paid him $62,000 a year...

Yeaaaa. I come from a Pathology background in public Health NSW and the whole thing is being whiteanted by the goverment in terms of funding including staff positions being deleted or downgraded to lower paying positions that dont require a degree (pay capped at 53k compared to 80k) - everyone applying has a degree anyway because they are desperate to find work in the field and there's at least 50-70 applicants for any one position advertised. The whole joint is continuously understaffed.

I left that competitive dumpster fire due to being unable to secure permanent full time work and pursued a masters which got me a job in a small but global private medical devices company that has huge potential. I was originally planning to move to Europe after saving up money again but the position I'm in is too good to leave at this point.

Public pathology left me disillusioned at the system with the take home message that hard work doesn't pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Don Dongington posted:

That's a living wage anywhere other than California/NYC though.

I mean that's what he earned here. He earns more now, but it sounds like his work is a little less interesting.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1016184096572096512

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Beetphyxious posted:

the pay is not lovely, wasn't say it was, but the lack of career progression plus the ever increasing reporting requirements and change in societal attitudes towards teachers is affecting some.

and by change in societal attitudes the anecdotes i hear say there's an increasing shift on fault and blame being laid at teachers' feet when a child isn't doing well in the classroom.

Yeah, despite the fact my job doesn't save lives, doesn't change the world and instead is a small cog in the machine of capitalism, I still make comparable money to a relative who is an highly qualified and experienced primary school teacher.

Society's values are fukt.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Hi it's former Labor leader Mark Latham, you may know me for shaking John Howard's hand and stealing his soul. But today I'm hear to talk to you about IMMIGRATION

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Latham is supposedly a Lib Dem too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hi it's former Labor leader Mark Latham, you may remember me from punching a cab driver, attempting to run down a cameraman with my car and undermining the mother of a murdered child in public.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'm an engineer and I haven't had a raise in 5 years.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Perhaps you should simply ask your boss for a raise or find a new employer *shits*

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I just respond to my boss anytime he asks "d' ya need anything from me? " with "a raise".

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Perhaps you should simply ask your boss for a raise or find a new employer *shits*

I have tried both of those without success.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

LISTEN TO THE ROBOCALL

hooman posted:

I'm an engineer and I haven't had a raise in 5 years.

Probably because your occupation is statistically the most likely to be involved in a mansplaining argument with a low paid retail employee about plastic bags and as such any attempts to unionise will result in a 14 hour rant from each prospective member about everything wrong with the union movement

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'M NOT BEING CONDESCENDING, YOU'RE BEING CONDESCENDING

What? Yes that's a 3D Printed bust of Elon Musk,

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Don Dongington posted:

Probably because your occupation is statistically the most likely to be involved in a mansplaining argument with a low paid retail employee about plastic bags and as such any attempts to unionise will result in a 14 hour rant from each prospective member about everything wrong with the union movement

We're the second most thank you, after IT workers.

Also please don't judge me by my terrible coworkers.

(Funnily enough most people in my office are pretty left wing, maybe that's why we don't ever get a raise.)

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP posted:

Hi it's former Labor leader Mark Latham, you may remember me from punching a cab driver, attempting to run down a cameraman with my car and undermining the mother of a murdered child in public.

But today I'm hear to talk to you about preference whispering.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I asked for a raise and a week later half my team, including my partner, were made redundant. Because I kept my job, without a raise, I've been told I should be more grateful.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

G-Spot Run posted:

I asked for a raise and a week later half my team, including my partner, were made redundant. Because I kept my job, without a raise, I've been told I should be more grateful.

Yeah I got told I should be grateful to have a job.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.betootaadvocate.com/uncategorized/the-xenophon-helmet-still-most-requested-haircut-in-south-australian-barber-shops/

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

hooman posted:

Yeah I got told I should be grateful to have a job.

When I worked at the company that paid a less qualified and less experienced dude $5k more a year than me for the same job (leading me to quit), during the exit interview the HR person said she hoped the company had at least "provided [me] with some stability". Or some such bullshit. :|

I swear these people don't think how these things make them look out of touch if not actively malevolent.

(Also I found out how much my last job was paying to the contractors they had to bring in after everyone quit and I don't understand why they didn't just give everyone in the development team a 10-20k payrise to stop them from leaving, it would have been far cheaper).

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

When Liberal senator Jane Hume and Liberal Democrat David Leyonhjelm pass each other around Parliament, he tends to greet her with the phrase: "G'day, hot chick."

She typically replies: "G'day, handsome."

For Hume, a first-term senator from Victoria with a long history of advancing the cause for women in the Liberal Party, this interaction is "totally harmless". Better than that, she says, "it's fun and it makes life colourful".

Almost like consent when it comes to interactions makes a difference.

Canberra update: the hotel bar is full of bogans loudly yelling at each other who look like they are on their way to/from the footy. Thought this place was all bureaucrats.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Senor Tron posted:

Almost like consent when it comes to interactions makes a difference.

Canberra update: the hotel bar is full of bogans loudly yelling at each other who look like they are on their way to/from the footy. Thought this place was all bureaucrats.

thats not the hotel bar, you accidently wandered into Question Time

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheShovel/status/1016228145152778241

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-09/defamation-sarah-hanson-young-david-leyonhjelm-sexual-slurs/9935244

Pollies shouldn't sue for defamation.

Also, SHY should sue for defamation.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

froglet posted:

(Also I found out how much my last job was paying to the contractors they had to bring in after everyone quit and I don't understand why they didn't just give everyone in the development team a 10-20k payrise to stop them from leaving, it would have been far cheaper).

You see, you can't put a price on the ability to sack someone at a moments notice*
*In my experience, it's far harder and more expensive to terminate a contract early than perform genuine redundancies.

There is no financial benefit, boomers just can't stand the idea that they're paying you while you're not there, aka on leave, which they all took plenty of when they were younger.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/rgcooke/status/1016175249220685824

I posted a pastebin version of it in BYOB but it's been unlocked now.

It's a very long, very good article on the current state of the Murdoch regime.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07-09/why-we-should-be-slow-to-point-the-finger-at-bankers/9949742

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you posted:

Hating bankers seems to be something of a global blood sport, and this has only been intensified by the many scandals coming out of Financial Services Royal Commission.

But what often gets overlooked in times of mass gibbeting is the human cost. Far from the pin-striped-suit-wearing-cigar-chewing-fat-cat stereotype, the Australian employees in the banking sector are (mostly) just like the rest of us.

The emerging field of behavioural ethics shows us we are all motivated by self-serving interests and that, under the right circumstances, most people will act in ways that are opposed to their own moral principles.

Psychological research has revealed what is referred to as the fundamental attribution error — a tendency to blame an individual's character for bad outcomes.

In essence, we believe people who lie, cheat or steal do so because they're bad apples. It is for this reason we feel justified in dragging them over hot coals.

Although satisfying to our sense of retributive justice, this is often unjustified.
Why do good people do bad things?

Studies show when people are given the opportunity to cheat without getting caught, they will do so in order to benefit themselves, but just enough so they don't see themselves as immoral.

We also know unethical behaviour tends to follow a slippery slope. Dishonesty increases overtime and people adapt to their behaviour (it feels more normal), leading to less activation of the amygdala — an area of the brain associated with perceptions of threat.

But, what leads good people to do bad things in the first place?

Studies on ethical fading reveal when people are focused on other factors (for example, the importance of meeting performance goals) they become less aware of the ethical dimensions to their decisions.

There are also myriad ways people use motivated reasoning to downplay the ethical consequences of their actions.

From bankers to burgers

If you think these biases are limited to bankers, think again. In my own research I've become fascinated with the psychology of meat eating. Why? Because it's terribly common while also posing an ethical dilemma for almost all of us (me included).

Although a very large majority of us eat meat, many are also squeamish when it comes to the production of that meat. We don't like to think of the harm associated with factory farms.

In fact, very few of us can stomach the idea of killing an animal, yet we're happy to eat lamb roast on Sundays and burgers in between.

So how do we resolve this tension between our desire to eat meat and the harm this brings to animals? We engage in all the same practices bankers have been accused of recently.

Our work shows we actively downplay the mental lives of animals, such as their capacity to experience pain or harm. This is so the ethical consequences of our behaviour appear less troublesome.

We have also traced these strategies — designed to protect us from the discomfort associated with the ethical implications of meat eating — all the way to how our societies and institutions are structured. Abattoirs are kept out of sight, we use euphemisms such as beef (versus cow) or pork (versus pig), and we promote the idea eating meat is natural, normal, and necessary.

We abandon our ethics daily

Contrary to our retributive desire to hang wrong-doers out to dry, the evidence suggests we're all prone to ethical failures.

Our self-serving biases are often unconscious, and we live and work in social systems that are sometimes designed to incentivise unethical behaviour and protect us from the consequences of our actions.

Bankers talk of profits rather than people. They have managers, boards, and shareholders who set and incentivise financial goals and targets, not ethical ones.

Can the banking sector improve its ethical scorecard? Most definitely yes. We must, however, view this as a systemic issue.

Just as those of us who consume burgers need to take a walk down humility lane, the banking sector needs to recognise the various pitfalls that have become ingrained in its very culture.

At the end of the day bankers are no more or less prone to the same ethical failures than the rest of us. Recognising that fact is the first step towards creating an open and safe culture where we can all admit our moral frailties without fear of becoming the next casualty of the blame bandwagon.

Brock Bastian is an ARC Future Fellow at Melbourne School of Psychological Sciences, University of Melbourne. This article originally appeared on The Conversation.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Apparently being amoral scum who have been screwing over everyone in sight is just being the latest people on the blame bandwagon

My heart bleeds

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Was this renamed from loving "if you hate bankers you hate yourself" or some poo poo.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

In fact, very few of us can stomach the idea of killing an animal, yet we're happy to eat lamb roast on Sundays and burgers in between.

So how do we resolve this tension between our desire to eat meat and the harm this brings to animals? We engage in all the same practices bankers have been accused of recently.

Our work shows we actively downplay the mental lives of animals, such as their capacity to experience pain or harm. This is so the ethical consequences of our behaviour appear less troublesome.

We have also traced these strategies — designed to protect us from the discomfort associated with the ethical implications of meat eating — all the way to how our societies and institutions are structured. Abattoirs are kept out of sight, we use euphemisms such as beef (versus cow) or pork (versus pig), and we promote the idea eating meat is natural, normal, and necessary.

Since I don't eat meat I assume this article is saying I am justified in saying eat the rich instead.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He's just like the rest of us, fabricates loan forms, over exaggerates assets on behalf of clients without their permission, Kicks farmers off their properties into homelessness. A true blue aussie everyman!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I lust for banker death.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Senor Tron posted:

Since I don't eat meat I assume this article is saying I am justified in saying eat the rich instead.

No no, don't eat the rich, compost the rich

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Humans shouldn't commit warcrimes you say? Well, you yourself are a human, hypocrite much? Maybe lay off those brutal dictators because they're humans too and if you were them you'd also be a brutal dictator huh?

Gotcha.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Humans shouldn't commit warcrimes you say? Well, you yourself are a human, hypocrite much? Maybe lay off those brutal dictators because they're humans too and if you were them you'd also be a brutal dictator huh?

Gotcha.

#allmen you say?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
This would be okay if the writer took the extra step from "this is a systemic issue" to "the system must be destroyed".

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

just kinda loving, adjusting my colour uncomfortably over here.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Lauren Southern has been denied an Australian Visa.

Good.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Mike Laycock is a busy contractor with a skill for negotiating major deals where all others fail. His hard work has not gone unnoticed, and Christopher Wayne, the Foreign Affairs Minister has asked him to assist in forming a new transglobal partnership deal with several other nations across the globe. Unfortunately, some foreigners have demands that are difficult to meet… Follow Mike as he attempts to settle the biggest deal of his life, using his best tool for negotiation – his penis.

https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07D8ZZDS9

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

That banker article is a lot of words for "people are flawed, and they also hate other people - sometimes irrationally so.'

Aunty has fallen so, so far. I rarely check the ABC for news any more.

That Murdoch article from Richard Cooke is extremely pro-click if it's the one he wrote for The Monthly. Absolutely fantastic summary of the first 60 or so years of Moloch's 100 year reign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Barnaby is tweeting about QandA

• Locked thread