Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

I mean what like $100? Maybe 150 if you do it in Vegas.

Is there a British version of Vegas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I guess we are just too used to winning international sporting events

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Leon Einstein posted:

The best part about this is that neither the OP or his girlfriend have ever owned a cat.

oh no the cat might get too hot!! My idiot cat set fire to herself once because she can never be too hot.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
If the World Cup is that big a goddamn deal to you that you'd consider moving your wedding for the final, pick a different day. They publish the schedule in advance! If you didn't do that, sucks to be you, you'll have to suffer through your own wedding I guess.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Did anyone say in the thread make this joke yet?

Liking Sports is a form of abuse.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Did anyone say in the thread make this joke yet?

Liking Sports is a form of abuse.

... Joke?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

axeil posted:

Is there a British version of Vegas?

Gretna Green.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Heliogabalos posted:

or to compare sports to hobbyists or video gaming

it's collective social/kin fervor combined with history and complex personal (I was there when...) and player/team/group within the team narratives, not to mention personal and friend group identities, hero worship, vicarious competition (and mimicry - beer leagues, etc), shared glory and grief. You can find connections in other activities whether performed or observed but sports cuts deep into primal and behavioural roots that intertwine at minimum aggression and kinship and those are arguably two of the most important evolutionary drives.

Every other hobby and many video games have the same stuff going on, my dude. Every human likes to belong in a group or groups, but sports are not unique in providing that feeling.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

jfc i just found the rest of Nutt Bugg's boyfriend's post history and it's all like

I think my friend is a victim of domestic violence. What can I do?
I just watched The Staircase on Netflix and couldn't help thinking back

I do not know who thought it was a good idea to make the speed limit on Charlotte Ave 40-45 mph, but after having lived off this road for nearly a year I am sick of it. This morning I was trying to back out of a parking space at a business near 46th and simply could not do it thanks to traffic flying by in both directions. I ended up doing a 20 something point turn to get out. With the all the crosswalks and new developments all along Charlotte, I think 35 would be much more reasonable. Please consider your

I apologize in advance for what may be a silly question, but what are you supposed to do when you encounter a fox? I recently thought I saw some kind of wild animal watching me from the dark while I was on a walk. Are they dangerous? Will the chase you if you get too close?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 9, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1016353254194761728

https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1015701923406778368

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Both of those were posted in the last day or two.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Darkrenown posted:

Both of those were posted in the last day or two.

Your FACE was posted in the last day or two!

Seriously this thread moves fast.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Darkrenown posted:

I was thinking the same about people who think some men kicking a ball is the greatest event in human history :shrug:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

"Honey I know we were supposed to be getting married and proclaiming our eternal love for one another, but a bunch of guys kicked a ball real good and I want to go get in on that.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

in this case it's to watch a bunch of grown rear end men pretend who's been most hurt, which, I can go to williamsburg anytime for that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNKTJeFJEaA

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

jfc i just found the rest of Nutt Bugg's boyfriend's post history and it's all like

I think my friend is a victim of domestic violence. What can I do?
I just watched The Staircase on Netflix and couldn't help thinking back

I do not know who thought it was a good idea to make the speed limit on Charlotte Ave 40-45 mph, but after having lived off this road for nearly a year I am sick of it. This morning I was trying to back out of a parking space at a business near 46th and simply could not do it thanks to traffic flying by in both directions. I ended up doing a 20 something point turn to get out. With the all the crosswalks and new developments all along Charlotte, I think 35 would be much more reasonable. Please consider your

I apologize in advance for what may be a silly question, but what are you supposed to do when you encounter a fox? I recently thought I saw some kind of wild animal watching me from the dark while I was on a walk. Are they dangerous? Will the chase you if you get too close?

This guy has the octegenarian writing a letter to the editor writing style nailed

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Your FACE was posted in the last day or two!

Yeah, in the handsome goons thread :kimchi:

It's a good episode, because Mrs Doyle gets far too into football and makes Ted uncomfortable. I would argue there's a grey area between being baffled someone likes something and not thinking it's the pinnacle of human achievement.

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
He should just go to the footy game because if he cares that little about their wedding day (and all that money and all their family and friends lol) God knows they're gonna get divorced over some stupid bullshit anyway. Just save everyone a lot of grief.

Is it gender discrimination if I get fired for accidentally following the bosses daughter on instagram.

quote:

3 months ago I sign up for Instagram. People don’t use their real names or profile pics ,so I start following people and when I figure out who they are then I decide to unfollow them. I’m new to this. I've worked for this company for years and always had stellar performance and never been written up. About 2 months ago I start getting written all the time for the smallest thing and sometimes for things I can prove I didn’t even do. This is very stressful and after 2 months I end up getting fired. I started talking to some friends that still work there and I come to find out the main reason I was being targeted by the store manager and a couple female supervisors is because I sent a follower invite to the store manager’s 16 year old daughter on Instagram. I had no idea I did that. It’s not a dating website so I just started sending out invites to anyone that was suggested to me and after I figured out who they were I would unfollow them. People on that website don’t always use their picture as their profile or the name as their screenname. I’m, ashamed and embarrassed by it ,but also I’ve been put through hell these last couple of months and had a ton of stress put on me for a really stupid reason. My question is is this gender discrimination since had I been anything other than a 32 year old single male I don’t think this would have happened at all to me. Can I subpoena Instagram or something to show It was a suggested contact and I never looked her up or even tried to contact her? For the sake of argument let’s just say everything I said was true and I can prove it. Location New Mexico.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's understandable to repeat things but geez please just post the text and not some surrounding tweet I don't care about.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Depressio111117 posted:

Is it gender discrimination if I get fired for accidentally following the bosses daughter on instagram.

Whatever, creep

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Nobody who isn't a creep just follows random people they don't know on Instagram, who just so happen to be the boss's underage daughter.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Darkrenown posted:

Every other hobby and many video games have the same stuff going on, my dude. Every human likes to belong in a group or groups, but sports are not unique in providing that feeling.

LOL. Just lol at nerds who don't understand sports and equate them to magic the gathering or whatever they do in closed, greasy quarters

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

quote:

3 months ago I sign up for Instagram. People don’t use their real names or profile pics ,so I start following people and when I figure out who they are then I decide to unfollow them. I’m new to this

This is weird behavior. Is he implying that he does internet detective poo poo or is he just uncomfortable following people he knows aren't using a fake name.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Heliogabalos posted:

LOL. Just lol at nerds who don't understand sports and equate them to magic the gathering or whatever they do in closed, greasy quarters

Well, if you're gimmick posting, congrats. You got me. If you're just very stupid, I am sorry.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Draxion posted:

Nobody who isn't a creep just follows random people they don't know on Instagram, who just so happen to be the boss's underage daughter.

shitloads of people follow random people they don't know on instagram. my 10 year old cousin was mocking her 13 year old brother because she has like 500 followers on instagram and he only has like 60. a ten-year-old absolutely does not know 500 people in real life.

i idly looked at a few of her followers when she was showing off and they're basically all other tweens from god knows where and they all say something like "follow 4 follow" in their profile description thingy, i.e. if you follow me i'll follow you and we can both boost our follower count to show off on the playground.

Rubellavator posted:

This is weird behavior. Is he implying that he does internet detective poo poo or is he just uncomfortable following people he knows aren't using a fake name.

it sounds like he's just clicking "follow" on every person that instagram suggests, i.e. "suggestions: hotchicamama2002 (picture of sunglasses and pouty lips)" and then after he has followed them and can view their account to figure out who they are, he decides if he wants to keep them or not.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 9, 2018

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Total Meatlove posted:

I dont think you understand what a World Cup final will mean for the countries playing in it and the fiance needs to get on board quickly.

I live in Brazil.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Most games of Settlers I play are me and my fiance and a married couple. No one plays favorites because we're adults who don't take that poo poo personally. None of us expect our significant other to cheat and give us resources. None of us would try to cheat and trick someone else while trading. Like, I can't really imagine trying to cheat in a game to begin with, but with friends? It's a loving game, it's supposed to be fun for everyone. Cheating makes it fun for no one else. How can you miss the point of playing games with your friends so hard?

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Lmao this thread is hilarious. The whole country will shut down if/when England is in the World Cup Finals. It is a very huge deal and it's likely that no one will even show up to his wedding if he doesn't postpone it, let alone some of his friends (formerly) attending the wedding also going to the game. You cannot actually compare how Brits and other Europeans are insanely mad over soccer with any sports in the US like the Super Bowl, World Series, etc that are comparatively minor. Y'all are dumb as gently caress.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lmao this thread is hilarious. The whole country will shut down if/when England is in the World Cup Finals. It is a very huge deal and it's likely that no one will even show up to his wedding if he doesn't postpone it, let alone some of his friends (formerly) attending the wedding also going to the game. You cannot actually compare how Brits and other Europeans are insanely mad over soccer with any sports in the US like the Super Bowl, World Series, etc that are comparatively minor. Y'all are dumb as gently caress.

*the women will still be at the wedding

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

god I want to comment on the world cup thing I have opinions too but instead please just stop talking about it here ahhh

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

and for the record I thought the 5th alternate synchronized ice fisherwoman should skip the olympics

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Caganer posted:

My [23F] girlfriend and I [27M] had a major falling out over a game of settlers of catanRelationships (self.relationships)

The way youre supposed to give someone things in board games is to sit on thier right and make suboptimal moves that they can capitalize on.

Anyone who hands resources over, even in a game with trading in it, is a shithead and should be kicked from the group.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Araenna posted:

Most games of Settlers I play are me and my fiance and a married couple. No one plays favorites because we're adults who don't take that poo poo personally. None of us expect our significant other to cheat and give us resources. None of us would try to cheat and trick someone else while trading. Like, I can't really imagine trying to cheat in a game to begin with, but with friends? It's a loving game, it's supposed to be fun for everyone. Cheating makes it fun for no one else. How can you miss the point of playing games with your friends so hard?

Cheatings fun but everyone in the game has to know this is a "its only cheating if you get caught" game ahead of time.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Depressio111117 posted:

:females: Yeah buddy I'd be more likely to give you the benefit of the doubt if you didn't immediately go to 'discrimination' and 'female supervisors targeting me'.

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Catan is a garbage game, soccer is terrible but Europeans go apeshit over it and our lovely New England team fans and post-games riots in America have NOTHING on soccer hooligans and their riots. I'll fix these derails...

My boyfriend [25 M] doesn't want a gun in the house, but I'd [23 F] feel safer having one. We're moving in together soon.

quote:

My boyfriend Jacob and I are moving in together at the end of the summer, we'll be renting a small 2 bedroom house together. And while we agree on most everything about living together, like cleaning, guests, finances, etc... We have really different opinions on having guns in the house.

I don't currently have a gun, but I'd like to get one for self defense. Especially, since I'll be moving from a well secured apartment complex with a lot of neighbors close by, to a house where I'll sometimes be alone. (My boyfriend travels for work fairly often)

For background, Jacob grew up in a wealthy and very liberal area, in Boston. Nobody he knew had guns, it was pretty much unheard of for someone to have a gun.

He thinks they're far more risky to have, then the benefit you get from having one. For example, accidentally setting one off, or a kid getting their hands on the gun thinking it's a toy. Me pulling it on him thinking he's a robber, etc.

He's also never really been in a situation where he felt unsafe in his home, or in general. He's got a lot of trust in the police to handle situations appropriately, and protect people.

On the other hand, I grew up in a rural and mostly conservative town. Loads of people had guns, I knew responsible owners, dumbass owners, and everything in between.

And while I definitely acknowledge the risks, I think a gun is useful to have, if it's owned by someone well trained, and kept locked up so only the owner can access it.

I've also definitely been in situations where I did not feel safe in my own home. I've had two stalkers in my life, I've had an ex who harassed me for nearly a year after I left him, I've had numerous strangers try to follow me when I was walking home alone at night. I can easily picture a situation I'd have to act in self defense.

I also have less trust in the police to handle stuff; from my own experiences going to them about my ex who was harassing and threatening me for a year.

There was a big news story in my city recently, about a woman who got a restraining order on this guy. It made him angry and he broke into her apartment and killed her.

I basically told Jacob everything I said here, and he still wasn't comfortable with the idea. He asked why I don't keep something like a knife or pepper spray for self defense instead, and I said I already keep both in my bag, but pepper spray is not good indoors because I'd end up breathing it too if I set it off inside. And a knife wouldn't be a great self defense weapon for me, because I'd have to get close to the other person, and I'm so small it could easily be taken from me and turned on me.

He asked about me getting a Taser instead, and I said I'd look into that. I did, and I'd consider getting one, but I also think they have limited range, and ability for follow up shots if the first misses or isn't effective.

We haven't yet agreed on what to do. I still would feel more comfortable with a gun, and he still would not feel comfortable having a gun in our home.

I still want to move in with him, but I don't know how we should resolve this.

TLDR - I'd feel safer having a gun in the house I'll be sharing with my boyfriend. He is not comfortable with me owning a gun.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pick posted:

*the women will still be at the wedding

Last post on it but lol if you think they would go. A lot of the women over there are just as loving crazy about it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Araenna posted:

don't go to the iosm thread, because the current hot take there is that it's everyone's responsibility to make sure everyone is having a good time, so if you have a sore loser you have to make them happy

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skutter posted:

Catan is a garbage game, soccer is terrible but Europeans go apeshit over it and our lovely New England team fans and post-games riots in America have NOTHING on soccer hooligans and their riots. I'll fix these derails...

My boyfriend [25 M] doesn't want a gun in the house, but I'd [23 F] feel safer having one. We're moving in together soon.

That’s an interesting role reversal. Get a gun learn how to use it :shrug:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

It's taking my [F25] bf [M24] of 4 years too long to propose and my attitude ruined our weekend. Not sure how to proceed.

quote:

Hey r/relationships, long time lurker and have read many a story similar to mine on here, but would still appreciate some feedback.

My boyfriend and I have been together for four year and known each other for six. We met in college and became fast friends. He was just so easy to talk to and supportive. It just worked.

We became a couple my senior year of college and have dated ever since with stints of long distance during that time period. Currently, we're long distance again, about 4.5 hours away from one another, three states a part. It's not ideal and it's been this way for about 10 months.

At the beginning of 2017, we sat down and had a conversation about where we saw our relationship going next. We were living in the same city, but hated our jobs and wanted to move out of our college town (where we were living at the time) by the end of the year. At the time of that conversation, I asked if he saw marriage in our future. He gave a quick and enthusiastic yes and I agreed. That's also when I said, I wouldn't feel comfortable moving in with him without being engaged. I didn't (and still don't) want to deal with the potential drama of what happens if we split. I guess that could still happen even if engaged/married, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Anyway, at that time he asked me when I saw us getting engaged, I said hopefully sometime in the next year. About a month later, he lost his job unexpectedly and one of the first conversations we had after that was about postponing our engagement. I 100% agreed and that was that. He ended up getting a job pretty quickly (2 weeks later, didn't even run out of severance) but we just never brought up the engagement thing again.

Fast forward to my birthday May 2017, he sets up a surprise photoshoot, gets all dressed up and asks me to do the same. We're not the type of people who do stuff like that, or even like stuff like that, so I started to think he was going to propose. He didn't. And throughout the entire photoshoot the photog kept saying "omg these would be perfect engagement photos!" It was very awkward. To make matters worse, that night we had dinner at a winery and our view was of a god drat wedding ceremony.

I shrug it off and our relationship keeps chugging along. Then a month later, I lose my job. I get enough severance to cover me until the holidays and decide not to extend my lease and move back home instead. He decides to do the same, which I wasn't expecting. He then initiates another convo about marriage. He asks me ideal timeline, I say by the end of the year because I didn't want to be long distance for long (the previous time we were in an LDR was hell) and I knew we were both moving home where rent and most living expenses would be nonexistent, meaning it'd be easier to save for a ring.

He responded "let's give it a year...max." I agreed. A year would mean and engagement by August 2018.

Around May of this year, I started getting antsy. We'd agreed to see one another once a month, but our schedules just weren't lining up to make that realistic (and his jobs time off policy is trash). He came to see me for my birthday and the week before he was hyping up his gift (we have a running joke that he's a terrible gift giver and he is). ”I just know you're going to love this, you're going to be stunned, it's so over the top" blah blah blah. I open up one gift before by birthday and it's a black pair of Birkenstocks, which I didn't expect and I love my other pairs, so I knew I'd love these too. After I opened them he said "there's another gift, but your parents needs to be present for that." Again, I began to think it was a ring. When we visit each other, we never spend much time in the house, always out doing something, but he'd put a lot of emphasis on hanging at home this time around. Finally, my birthday was on Sunday and he and my parents had me unwrap a box that ended up being empty. He tells me the surprise is upstairs in my room. So, I head up there and there's an apple gift card sitting on my laptop. Dope. I'd been wanting an apple watch. I come downstairs with it and my mom yells "What! It's not a ring? Awk." my boyfriend and I say quick goodbyes and he gets on the road back home. All very awkward.

And now for this weekend. At this point, I made sure there was no confusion. I told him we didn't need to exchange gifts (we like spending $ on experiences usually) unless his gift was an engagement ring. I lack tact, so I'm sure I didn't say it nicely.

About two weeks before our anniversary he begins complimenting me and overly praising me. He keeps calling my dad saying he needs to talk (my dad was dumb enough to share this with me) and all of a sudden my two best friends (who I never talk about wedding stuff with) start asking me what rings I like and if I was hoping to be engaged soon. All very weird. Again, I start to think this is it, while also trying to remind myself of all the past disappointments. But I knew if it didn't happen this time, I'd be especially crushed. It's been 4 years, we've been through a lot of lovely seasons and are in an LDR with no end in sight. I was clear about my intentions and what I wanted. I knew none of this guaranteed me a ring, but I hoped at the very least it would guarantee that unnecessary signs wouldn't be present leading up to our anniversary.

I was wrong. By the time we're half way through dinner I'm holding back tears because I get this sinking feeling that not only is it not happening this weekend, but it isn't ever happening. I am coughing back tears, literally through the night and I think the only reason my bf didn't notice is because I had my sunglasses on most of the night. Oh, and while this is happening, I'm in a group chat with my girlfriends because a guy friend of ours was proposing to his girl in loving Alicante Spain that day. Eventually, he asks me why my mood changed. I deny it, determined not to ruin the night. But he keeps pressing me. He knows something wrong. I ask if we can leave the bar we're at and we do.

We get in the car and he asks me to talk to him. To explain. I give in. I explain everything I explained above. I talk about all the signs I mistook for something else. I talk about how alone and abandoned this all makes me feel. I say I'm sick of waiting, because I am. I'm full on bawling at this point.

He takes responsibly for all of it. He admits he let me down and he promises (like he has in the past) that next time will be different. But I didn't want to accept that. I tell him I done, I'm sick of waiting because it hurts too much and it does. Of course I want to marry this man, I can't imagine not having my best friend in my life. But I'm afraid his lack of commitment now is just an example of what's in store in our marriage. Will he be afraid to commit to our kids? Buying a house? Investments? Vacations? To me if I ever got sick? I know there are no guarantees in life, but if he isn't ready to commit to marrying me, then he certainly isn't ready to be in a marriage with me.

I was able to not let my feelings get the best of me Saturday and this morning as we said goodbye, but now that I'm sitting here I realize I'm still upset. I'm disappointed and I don't want to wait anymore. Engagements are supposed to be special, fun, ideally unexpected. if every visit has this cloud of will he propose over it, where is the fun in that? And if it takes me bawling my eyes out for him to realize he "can't live without me," (his words) what's that say about him?

I'm just not sure I want to do this anymore. I always dreamed that the man I ended up with would be so sure about me, about us. Idk what's going on here. He says all the right things, but his actions don't match. I've always believed you are what you consistently do. How much longer am I supposed to wait, especially for something that may never come? Can people who took a long time to propose to their SOs shed some insight? Can those of you who left after being tired of waiting do the same?

We said goodbye with things up in the air. He reiterated his commitment and love for me and I kind of just blew him off. Gave him a kiss and said goodbye. I knew I'd need time to process my feelings before making any hasty decisions.

TL/DR: I'm sick of waiting for my bf to propose. His lack of actions worry me about his commitment to us in the future, so I'm wondering if I should just end it.

LMAO

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Negrostrike posted:

I live in Brazil.

You’ve had loads stop being so blasé

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Skutter posted:

This is basically the last gun derail a second time

There are much better home-security options than keeping the most lethal thing that can be owned by a civilian in your house, both in terms of effectiveness and potential for mishaps; BF(25M) is right on every count and OP is probably a chud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's taking my [F25] bf [M24] of 4 years too long to propose and my attitude ruined our weekend. Not sure how to proceed.

LMAO
I like how they both move back in with their parents in separate states, sounds like a good run-up to engagement to me.