Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Friend just posted 121 on facebook. I'm thinking of all the homeless folks out in this.

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I work for a public transportation agency and we have an unofficial policy that in extreme weather we let the homeless ride for free as long as they're not being disruptive. The buses are air conditioned when it's hot, heated when it's cold, and dry when it's raining, so a lot of poor/homeless will just get on and sit on the bus all day to get away from it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

104 on the coast here. Holy poo poo. I'm a couple blocks away from the ocean and it's an oven.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Net Neutrality saved?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

104 on the coast here. Holy poo poo. I'm a couple blocks away from the ocean and it's an oven.
Dafuq are you doing not in the water then?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Depends where he is along the coast. 104 is unpleasent, but some of California's coastline is downright hostile.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Necroskowitz posted:

Net Neutrality saved?

We won't know until the full text is out, but it sounds like not as bad as Santiago's absolute capitulation to ISP's. Still not fantastic though: letting them charge different rates based on on specific types of content is pretty awful since it gives them the ability to extort Netflix/etc, and banning zero-rating plans unless they "don't harm the consumer" is vague as gently caress and will presumably be a massive loophole allowing them to still be implemented along with restrictive data caps.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bawfuls posted:

Dafuq are you doing not in the water then?

I'd be insane to be under the sun right now, I feel.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Dama Rorbacher is my rep.

Voted for the second place R in the primary and I’m voting for literally whoever the dems run against that Putin bootlicker

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Very hot. Very verry hot. Got a slushy.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Visiting family in socal and remembering why I moved north during this hot day

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

https://twitter.com/EricHolthaus/status/1015423379065761792

Stay cool So-Cal goons

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
RIP SoCal.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Run a hot shower every hour and pound ice cold water.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My power went out for about 5 minutes and when it came back on my A/C no longer works.

I'll be without A/C until Tuesday when I can get the parts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I was at a wedding g yesterday where I met Peak California. She lived in SF her whole life until she retired to Palm Springs, but still keeps her house in SF because summers in Palm Springs are too hot.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

FCKGW posted:

I'll be without A/C until Tuesday when I can get the parts.
You probably already looked into it, but did you make sure it wasn't some thing like short -cycle protection or some reset switch at the compressor?

Or did you get a brown-out? Then yeah, something probably broke.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

withak posted:

I was at a wedding g yesterday where I met Peak California. She lived in SF her whole life until she retired to Palm Springs, but still keeps her house in SF because summers in Palm Springs are too hot.

i know someone who does that but with arizona and SF, and is from the east coast originally rather than an SF native. also he's a racist ol dumbass

:thermidor:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

id like to be rich enough some time in my life to own one house let alone two

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My house ended up without power yesterday and it was loving miserable. I finally gave up and rode the bus to the Gaslamp because the buses have air conditioning.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

CopperHound posted:

You probably already looked into it, but did you make sure it wasn't some thing like short -cycle protection or some reset switch at the compressor?

Or did you get a brown-out? Then yeah, something probably broke.

Yeah, spent the last night sweltering over breakers and switches. Why oh why is it still 97 degrees at 10pm?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

id like to be rich enough some time in my life to own one house let alone two

Ya

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
living in berkeley has its perks and almost makes up for the insane rent* (rent control owns tho so not that bad). it's mostly got up to mid 80s and even on the 4th of july it was like 70f

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Looking for a in depth defense of the latest gas tax. Even many liberal friends are complaining that their taxes are already too high and that we should cut from “someplace else”. On that note, are there any articles on why CA taxes are so high and why we seem to get so little bang for our buck? The old standbys seem to be “public union pensions are bleeding us dry” or “Prop 13”. I assume there’s more to it than that.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Looking for a in depth defense of the latest gas tax. Even many liberal friends are complaining that their taxes are already too high and that we should cut from “someplace else”. On that note, are there any articles on why CA taxes are so high and why we seem to get so little bang for our buck? The old standbys seem to be “public union pensions are bleeding us dry” or “Prop 13”. I assume there’s more to it than that.

California taxes aren't high and your liberal friends are whiny little shits. I wish I could give a better answer than that, but frankly, I pay about the same in taxes here in CA that I paid in rural Pennsylvania in spite of a 91% raise when I moved here, while getting far more in services than other states provide. If anything, we should be raising them even more (progressively). Also, it's hard to overstate just how badly the Prop 13/Prop 60 combo is loving up the state. They are horrible law.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

On that note, are there any articles on why CA taxes are so high and why we seem to get so little bang for our buck?
You'll have to be way more detailed in what you're perceiving to be the failures of "value" for your tax dollar. I'd lean to infrastructure, public transportation and basic city duties (tree trimming, pothole filling and whatnot), but just yelling out we don't get enough for what we pay is hard to examine.
I imagine the first stop on Why Taxes is the proposition system that lets us vote on 20 year 1/4 cent increases every 2-4 years.
We also live in a state prone to costly natural disasters.

quote:

The old standbys seem to be “public union pensions are bleeding us dry” or “Prop 13”. I assume there’s more to it than that.
Prop 13 handicaps us, yes. The U.S. as a whole has some dumb ideas about taxation and public welfare nets -- drop the high-end cap on SS income and mysteriously the system becomes more stable and can be funded through the century

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The answer is prisons and Prop 13. Your taxes are literally subsidizing a hugely punitive justice system and rich commercial property developers.

The gas tax is 9 cents a gallon, rougly, so 2 bucks on a 20 gallon tank. If 2 bucks on a fillup makes someone leave CA then good loving riddance to 'em

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The answer is prisons and Prop 13. Your taxes are literally subsidizing a hugely punitive justice system and rich commercial property developers landowning NIMBYs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

When I get the "CA taxes are so high!" thing I usually ask them "Which taxes?" which most people can't really detail, they just say all of them.

Also with the gas tax, the increase was 12 cents but because the price of oil spiked around the same time, driving gas prices up $1+ people are conflating the two.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Repealing Prop 13 on commercial real estate would raise 6 to 10 billion a year in revenue.

http://www.lao.ca.gov/ballot/2017/170715.pdf

FCKGW posted:

When I get the "CA taxes are so high!" thing I usually ask them "Which taxes?" which most people can't really detail, they just say all of them.

My parents are both teachers retired on CALStrs benefits that nobody can get anymore, and they whine about taxes constantly.

Boomer scum, unfortunately.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Latest gas tax is like a dime a gallon.

A buck or two every time you fill your tank is not bleeding you dry, especially if it goes to fix the potholes that are destroying your wheels/suspension.

Are you sure your friends aren't idiots who think the current high gas prices are due to the tax?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
California is really, really big. Not just big geographically, but big in terms of population. More than a tenth of the US's entire population lives here, and we've got 12m people more than the next largest state. How do all of these people get around this massive state? They drive, because we don't have much in the way of long distance transportation infrastructure outside of a massive freeway network. The most recent data I can find is from 2016, which shows us as having ~15m cars on the road, which is almost double Texas's 8m in second place. What this means:

1. Roadwork is both really important, and really expensive. That's a lot of road to maintain, and a lot of cars wearing and tearing at it.
2. That's a lot of exhaust in the air, you may know of LA's poor reputation regarding smog. Because of this California mandates cleaner gas blends, and in the summer we use an even cleaner blend than the usual clean blends. Those blends are, in order, more expensive and way more expensive than dirtier burning gas used in other states.
3. This means gas is expensive. When people point out that our gas price is ~$1 higher on average per gallon than the national average, they often holler about how that's all tax. It's not. Yes some of it is tax, but most of it is that California mandates cleaner burning fuel that is more expensive. Also for what it's worth the gas tax hike was the first such hike in California gas tax in 25 years.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Also, taxes here aren't super high. The only unusually high ones are the sales tax because of, literally, Prop 13 which means that commercial properties like that big golf course in the middle of Beverly Hills pay less property tax than me, and to offset all that lost revenue on from rich people, we have to tax everyone's purchases.

The property tax, also known as that big rear end bill on your house twice a year, is actually really low here. Below the national average.

And you get a ton for your money. We have all sorts of policies and programs that most states don't have, like extended family leave if you are pregnant, and very generous medical/mental/addiction coverage.

Also a world-class higher education system.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Also, taxes here aren't super high. The only unusually high ones are the sales tax because of, literally, Prop 13 which means that commercial properties like that big golf course in the middle of Beverly Hills pay less property tax than me, and to offset all that lost revenue on from rich people, we have to tax everyone's purchases.

The property tax, also known as that big rear end bill on your house twice a year, is actually really low here. Below the national average.

And you get a ton for your money. We have all sorts of policies and programs that most states don't have, like extended family leave if you are pregnant, and very generous medical/mental/addiction coverage.

Also a world-class higher education system.

Luckily the state and the UC administration is hard at work fixing that last problem.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yeah the educational system has utterly collapsed. Even the "good" school districts suck rear end now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I can't speak for the UC's but I worked for a state school for a number of years. In the eyes of administrative leadership, the school's purpose was not to provide the best possible education, it was to make the most amount of money possible, place it in the slushiest slush funds possible, and get that money into the hands of leadership and friends/family of leadership, either by creating cushy admin positions for them or handing them expensive campus construction contracts.

While I was attending my school dropped it's age old policy of admitting any local HS graduates who met the minimum qualifications. The rationale for this policy was that local families paid local taxes that helped fund the school, so their kids get in easy as compensation. Except the problem is that these kids then lived at home and the school made no money off their housing/meal plans/etc. So we axed it and increased the out of state admittance cap because those kids definitely have to live here!

tl;dr our "world class higher education system" is hosed and on the road to imploding.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Sydin posted:

I can't speak for the UC's but I worked for a state school for a number of years. In the eyes of administrative leadership, the school's purpose was not to provide the best possible education, it was to make the most amount of money possible, place it in the slushiest slush funds possible, and get that money into the hands of leadership and friends/family of leadership, either by creating cushy admin positions for them or handing them expensive campus construction contracts.

While I was attending my school dropped it's age old policy of admitting any local HS graduates who met the minimum qualifications. The rationale for this policy was that local families paid local taxes that helped fund the school, so their kids get in easy as compensation. Except the problem is that these kids then lived at home and the school made no money off their housing/meal plans/etc. So we axed it and increased the out of state admittance cap because those kids definitely have to live here!

tl;dr our "world class higher education system" is hosed and on the road to imploding.

Yeah it's on it's way down but it was good for a very long time.

Thanks Reagan!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah it's on it's way down but it was good for a very long time.

Thanks Reagan!

I know plenty of people at UCLA that are still pissed the new hospital is named after him

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

It's pretty much like the private sector in which the CEO and his cronies get sky high compensation despite not doing poo poo each day at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

For anyone asking for specific gas tax dollars at work, check your public works agency.
For example: https://www.acpwa.org/pas/road-repairs-and-accountability-act-of-2017-sb-1-gas-tax