Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Anyone check out Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter? It doesn't quite go to the same places as Jody Hill's other stuff but I still liked it. Brolin is really good in it and so is the kid they cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finished Sinner. It's eh, decent. Very much felt like a basic cable True detective/Night of mix, but sort of missed the mark for me. I guess all the pieces fit together in the end but the whole thing felt sort of cheesy and there was so much extraneous bullshit in there. Either way it hooked me, so there is that.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Oh yeah? That was my first rated R movie. I secretly watched it on HBO when I was 12, I remember thinking it was incredible. It's been a number of years since I last watched it. Here's to hoping the Tom Cruise fatigue as of late doesn't ruin the movie retroactively.

I will fight anyone with Tom Cruise fatigue syndrome. He’s in trash movies but elevates them through endless charisma.

Also there’s a Batman & Harley Quinn animated film on amazon that’s insane so far. Half an hour in and Harley has boned down with Nightwing/Robin and done karaoke in a henchperson-only bar.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was always disappointed they skipped straight from Interview to Queen of the Damned because The Vampire Lestat was my favorite book.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

precision posted:

Borg vs McEnroe is on Hulu now, and it's quite good, true story about the tennis rivalry that is kind of unbelievable in how it ends. It also goes a long way to disproving the thesis that Shia the Bouf "can't act". He's drat good in it.

I liked it a lot, it had the same feeling as Rush, which I also like a lot.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

precision posted:

Interview With the Vampire is on Netflix and it is still gloriously gay and good

Rewatched it the other day and it's still really good. It's impressive watching little Kirsten Dunst steal scenes from Pitt and Cruise. Also happens to feature the last song by Guns N Roses before they broke up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

red19fire posted:

I will fight anyone with Tom Cruise fatigue syndrome. He’s in trash movies but elevates them through endless charisma.

I'm mostly with you on this, however I recently saw American Made on HBOGO and he was unable to elevate that one into watchability. Just a nothing movie.

The Jack Reacher sequel was also majorly disappointing(great ending though) and The Mummy was horrendous. So he's had three pretty major missteps in the past several years, which is unlike him because he's been so amazingly consistent.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i think a big the reason the recent tom cruise stuff owns is because he's teamed with mcquarrie as director - note mummy and the reacher sequel had nothing to do with the latter & it's why all of the good mission impossibles were directed by the same dude instead of a different person each movie

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Parachute posted:

i think a big the reason the recent tom cruise stuff owns is because he's teamed with mcquarrie as director - note mummy and the reacher sequel had nothing to do with the latter & it's why all of the good mission impossibles were directed by the same dude instead of a different person each movie

All of the mission impossibles are good tho

Even 2 with slo mo long hair cruise

Parachute
May 18, 2003
id agree, but then i think of the jj abrams one and the only thing about it i can remember about it is PSH and the cool scene on the bridge

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I miss every new mission impossible being a showcase for a new director. Also I miss PSH, he was so good in everything he did :(

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

He should stay away from Doug Liman though. Live Die Repeat was pretty solid, but aside from that Liman hasn't made a good film for 16 years. Apparently there's a Live Die Repeat sequel in the works but I hope Cruise stays away(he probably won't).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Actually the first Mission Impossible is bad and boring.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

He should stay away from Doug Liman though. Live Die Repeat was pretty solid, but aside from that Liman hasn't made a good film for 16 years. Apparently there's a Live Die Repeat sequel in the works but I hope Cruise stays away(he probably won't).

mcquarrie wrote that script and imo the movie ended up being so much better than i expected that i'd consider starting a rumor that he ghost directed it himself

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Actually the first Mission Impossible is bad and boring.

I have HUGE nostalgia for that movie, not sure I'll ever be able to really see it objectively. It just seemed like the coolest poo poo ever in 1996. Red light green light motherfucker.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Basebf555 posted:

I have HUGE nostalgia for that movie, not sure I'll ever be able to really see it objectively. It just seemed like the coolest poo poo ever in 1996. Red light green light motherfucker.

gently caress yeah I’m watching them all before the new one comes out. Every time you see that fruit stripe gum you know some poo poo is going down. So satisfying to see jean Reno and Jon voight go down like that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I watched it with my friend and his girlfriend who loved the series, back when it was on Netflix. It was one of the most awkwardly boring movie-watching experiences I've had. I was amazed how stale it was for a De Palma film.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i just remember m:i 1 being super convoluted and confusing but i havent watched it in like 15 years

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Parachute posted:

i just remember m:i 1 being super convoluted and confusing but i havent watched it in like 15 years

Yeah, I don't think anyone else has either. THe only thing anyone remembers is the scene where he's suspended from the ceiling.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parachute posted:

I don't remember it that way. Ethan's team is tasked with recovering a secret spy list, but then they're ambushed when they show up for the mission and he's framed for it. The rest of the movie is Ethan following leads to figure out who set him up.

I suppose the convoluted part would be Ethan's interactions with the presumed buyer of the list, but I dunno, it all seemed fairly straightforward to me.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Parachute posted:

I watched it recently, like within 6 months. All the reveals are standard "dude who we thought is dead is alive, and multiple good guys are actually the bad guys" twists. The only part I still didn't get is the Job 3:14 stuff.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

The only part I still didn't get is the Job 3:14 stuff.

drat Gideons.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

M2 is hot stupid poo poo and I looooove John woo movies but not since m2

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

precision posted:

Interview With the Vampire is on Netflix and it is still gloriously gay and good

Interview is extremely good. Byzantium is extremely good. Company of Wolves is fine.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Parachute posted:

It's intended to be super-confusing on first pass but it makes sense afterwards, and the plot is relatively simple: Jim Phelps realizes that the IMF knows he or someone else high-up has been selling state secrets, he stages a false-flag operation to get "himself" and his team killed, and frames his protege. For almost the entirety of the movie, we're seeing it from Ethan Hunt's perspective, as opposed to an objective narrator ... which is kind of DePalma's thing. The Claire / Ethan editing is pretty messy, but it all comes out in the wash.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Mission Impossible 2 has a sword fight with motorcycles instead of swords, and I still find it tedious as gently caress to watch. The first flick is Good Fun De Palma, but MI:3 owns bones exclusively through PSH’s performance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

It's intended to be super-confusing on first pass but it makes sense afterwards, and the plot is relatively simple: Jim Phelps realizes that the IMF knows he or someone else high-up has been selling state secrets, he stages a false-flag operation to get "himself" and his team killed, and frames his protege. For almost the entirety of the movie, we're seeing it from Ethan Hunt's perspective, as opposed to an objective narrator ... which is kind of DePalma's thing. The Claire / Ethan editing is pretty messy, but it all comes out in the wash.

One thing that I remember confusing people at the time was the way Phelps guilt is revealed. It has him lying to Ethan, and the audience is shown the real version of events as Ethan realizes it, so we're in Ethan's head observing his thought process. But the movie never comes right out and gives you clear exposition on it until the very end, De Palma trusts the audience to understand what they're seeing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Enos Cabell posted:

Rewatched it the other day and it's still really good. It's impressive watching little Kirsten Dunst steal scenes from Pitt and Cruise. Also happens to feature the last song by Guns N Roses before they broke up.

I’m honestly surprised that, with Cruise’s raging hard on for franchise movies, he hasn’t tried to revitalize it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The best part of Mission Impossible is when Ving Rhames creams his pants over a Pentium based computer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I’m honestly surprised that, with Cruise’s raging hard on for franchise movies, he hasn’t tried to revitalize it.

These days Cruise seems to prefer back-end money deals and I'm not sure that's practical in this case considering Anne Rice is still around and is pretty selective about selling the rights to her stories.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Basebf555 posted:

One thing that I remember confusing people at the time was the way Phelps guilt is revealed. It has him lying to Ethan, and the audience is shown the real version of events as Ethan realizes it, so we're in Ethan's head observing his thought process. But the movie never comes right out and gives you clear exposition on it until the very end, De Palma trusts the audience to understand what they're seeing.

I totally misunderstood that sequence the first time I saw it, but I was a high school freshman when I saw it in the theater, and I wasn't exactly film literate then.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
i watched the very end and then the very beginning of 4 a couple weeks back on cable and i totally forgot that after the initial pre-title opener they show you most of the movie in the background including the villain's death scene as the cast names roll

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Fart City posted:

Mission Impossible 2 has a sword fight with motorcycles instead of swords, and I still find it tedious as gently caress to watch. The first flick is Good Fun De Palma, but MI:3 owns bones exclusively through PSH’s performance.

I loved the Facemaker double-cross by Ethan at the end of 2, and the motorcycle chase was basically a 5 minute advertisement for Triumph. I think 3 was where I first noticed PSH shredding scenery in movies he knows are trash, and should be what he's best remembered for. He elevates Along Came Polly to a loving master class in not giving a gently caress and out-acting everyone.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It's a totally little thing, but I love that they never reveal what the Rabbit's Foot in M:I 3 actually is.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Timby posted:

It's a totally little thing, but I love that they never reveal what the Rabbit's Foot in M:I 3 actually is.

It’s the only time that Abrams’ “mystery box” structure ever worked for me, and I think it’s partially because it’s set in the spy genre, where it natually fits. Plus, like we’ve been mentioning, a compelling villain helps keep momentum moving.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

red19fire posted:

He does. Live Die Repeat (I don't remember the real name for the movie) is wonderful.

But I kind of just can't with him over his messianic role in the scientology organization. And just his romantic life in general. Having his people do auditions for potential girlfriends. How he alienated his children against Nicole Kidman when she refused to convert and they divorced. How Katie Holmes had to get a whole team of lawyers to concoct an escape plan to get her and her daughter away from him.

He's a good actor, and obviously charismatic, and also a completely disturbing and scary individual.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lukewarm take, Silvestri’s rejected score is a billion times better than Elfman’s.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I didn't care for Byzantium. It's pretty but all of his films are. I think Company Of Wolves is a lot better.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Was the Jim Phelps twist in M:I1 a big controversy when the movie was released?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Which mission impossibles are on streaming?