Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
These guys are gonna define cave rescue for the foreseeable future and while that owns my pessimistic side says to cavers of all stripes and skills do not take this as "get out of jail free" card. It was like the opposite of a perfect storm. That they survived, that they were found, that they were in a place conducive to rescue, and that the weather even managed to cooperate is all so lucky that it's like they were all getting dealt royal flushes. Don't gently caress around with caves should be every last human being on earths takeaway. And I think some are gonna ignore it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He's going to make it through without issue. Murkowski and Collins were only potentially going to vote no on someone with a record that's hostile to abortion rights or healthcare. And he doesn't have a record on either, so they'll brush it off that way.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

There are people defending him in GBS, which is one of the least pro-musk environments I've seen on the Internet. He's revered on Reddit.

You can't create a message board or comments section without Musk worshippers popping up like weeds.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Honestly his fanboys are way worse than he is. Although I do not care for him.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I declare Thailand the Winner of 2018.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

EBB posted:

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Holy cow, that rescue.

EBB posted:

The rest of the article looks legit, but drat. Even attributed made up Clickhole quotes to Green Day's front man, no less!

Fake... news...?

Washington Post quoted Clickhole "quoting" Billie Joe Armstrong posted:

But despite the song’s ubiquity, Armstrong waited 13 years to reveal — in an article he wrote for Clickhole.com — that the “American Idiot” was President George W. Bush.

“The main reason we made George W. Bush the ‘American Idiot’ is because he started a war,” Armstrong wrote.

Armstrong said the band had “intense” discussions at the time about whether to reveal this publicly or even name him on the album — but ultimately the band decided it would be “too shocking,” he wrote, “too much of a bombshell to drop into the American consciousness at the time.”

He thought that by finally revealing the truth, it would provide fans a sense of closure “on this little corner of Green Day lore.”

“But who knows?” he wrote. “We’ve got a whole new dysfunctional administration in the White House. Maybe the saga of the ‘American Idiot’ might not be over and done with as it seems.”

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That Works posted:

As much as I love the feel-good story about these kids its pissing me off that the nation's (worlds?) attention is on getting 12 kids safely back to their families and we have a couple thousand sitting in warehouses that we've removed from their own that are getting a bit less exposure these days.

Elon, you're a software guy, why not whip up something that helps put those pairs back together more easily?

Like a .doc .xls that matches parents with kids?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Godholio posted:

This is Elon Musk we're talking about. How would an Excel spreadsheet kill kids?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Print->Properties->Flip on short edge

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

gently caress.

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1016689120809291776

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

tarp ghost rides again

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Have GOP membership? Will pardon.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BadOptics posted:

gently caress.

It's not as bad as it looks. This case led to the Bundy Bullshit, but these guys were convicted of a 5-year mandatory minimum terrorism crime that was a stretch, the federal judge said "this is bullshit" and gave them SOME time, government appealed, won, and they both served three years up to now.

This thread is a republican congressman, but it basically describes the whole thing pretty well: https://twitter.com/repgregwalden/status/1013455435502964738?s=19

gently caress the Bundy's forever, but I'm not that upset over this one.

Edit: a counterpoint https://twitter.com/MarshallCohen/status/1016690730079842304?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 10, 2018

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

facialimpediment posted:

If only the president had the power to, say, commute a sentence, rather than issue a full pardon...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

Well, we're talking about after the fact now. Woulda been good beforehand.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Those shitbags started a massive prairie fire to cover up their poaching operation. The things you can get away with when you're white, straight, and relatively Christian.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1016680773947199488?s=19

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Arc Light posted:

If only the president had the power to, say, commute a sentence, rather than issue a full pardon...

The White House statement is weird. It calls out "executive clemency" and we don't have a copy of the actual poo poo, like if it's a pardon or a commutation.

Nice that they served at least three years in prison no matter what.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

I'm confused by those protesters. "Gen Flynn is a political prisoner" "clear Flynn" right next to "lock him up"

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

MA-Horus posted:

tarp ghost rides again

I'll never get tired of this picture.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hexyflexy posted:

Blue tarps can't stop fed bullets.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

They should have been strung up on the arson charges alone.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Hexyflexy posted:

Don't tread on me, tarp ghost.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

It's not as bad as it looks. This case led to the Bundy Bullshit, but these guys were convicted of a 5-year mandatory minimum terrorism crime that was a stretch, the federal judge said "this is bullshit" and gave them SOME time, government appealed, won, and they both served three years up to now.

This thread is a republican congressman, but it basically describes the whole thing pretty well: https://twitter.com/repgregwalden/status/1013455435502964738?s=19

Edit: a counterpoint https://twitter.com/MarshallCohen/status/1016690730079842304?s=19

Who got in his ear about this? Is there come congressman with a bug up his rear end? Or is this a Fox thing?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I have heard conservatives complain for years about "liberal political activist" judges and etc
so they appoint a guy who has only ever done politics to the supreme court

they have never ever argued in good faith, have they?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

DownByTheWooter posted:

I have heard conservatives complain for years about "liberal political activist" judges and etc
so they appoint a guy who has only ever done politics to the supreme court

they have never ever argued in good faith, have they?

No, never. A draft-dodger who inherited all his wealth (and wasted it, and turned to money laundering for the mob) who has cheated repeatedly on every wife he's had and only won his campaign due to literally selling his country out to a hostile power is their ideal, everything they wish they were. Hastert and Foley and people like Trump's friend Epstein are supposed to be above the law. They use the power of federal and state governments to redistribute wealth pretty openly, and will happily have the government picking the winners and losers in the market via government contracts and writing regulations explicitly to favor a single company or a regional monopoly or sector of a certain industry.

Every thing they complain about is just a way to provide a flimsiest excuse of cover for when they themselves do it.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Once again The Onion proves to be an oracle into the future.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zeroisanumber posted:

Who got in his ear about this? Is there come congressman with a bug up his rear end? Or is this a Fox thing?

Likely that congressman, don't think Fox covered it much. For Trump, it's a four-fer because it's highly political, Republican-pushed, they're his supporters, and he can yell about Obama being bad.

There's an argument there that Trump clumsily fell on a decent case for lovely reasons.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pervis posted:

No, never. A draft-dodger who inherited all his wealth (and wasted it, and turned to money laundering for the mob) who has cheated repeatedly on every wife he's had and only won his campaign due to literally selling his country out to a hostile power is their ideal, everything they wish they were. Hastert and Foley and people like Trump's friend Epstein are supposed to be above the law. They use the power of federal and state governments to redistribute wealth pretty openly, and will happily have the government picking the winners and losers in the market via government contracts and writing regulations explicitly to favor a single company or a regional monopoly or sector of a certain industry.

Every thing they complain about is just a way to provide a flimsiest excuse of cover for when they themselves do it.

"the dems do it, so we have to do it to counter them having all the power! "

something i have literally heard a few times

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

It would be funny if someone convinced trump to pardon Richard DiGuglielmo and didnt tell him about the Jeanine Pirro connection

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Here's how I expected this week to go:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1015105500105412610

http://alexanderlozada.com/iasip/?IkVsb24gS2lsbHMgVHdlbHZlIENoaWxkcmVu

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
It's kinda like how Scott Pruitt was the living caricature of every corrupt politician they say Democrats are. The entire GOP/Republican/conservative identity is built around projection and toxicity.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

facialimpediment posted:

Likely that congressman, don't think Fox covered it much. For Trump, it's a four-fer because it's highly political, Republican-pushed, they're his supporters, and he can yell about Obama being bad.

There's an argument there that Trump clumsily fell on a decent case for lovely reasons.

The hammonds nearly killed firefighters and burned thousands of acres of government land to hide their poaching and other illegal activities. The fact that they were sentenced with kid gloves by a friendly judge doesn't change the character or nature of their crime, and they should have absolutely be sentenced and served the mandatory minimum.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Mr. Nice! posted:

The hammonds nearly killed firefighters and burned thousands of acres of government land to hide their poaching and other illegal activities. The fact that they were sentenced with kid gloves by a friendly judge doesn't change the character or nature of their crime, and they should have absolutely be sentenced and served the mandatory minimum.

You're not wrong, but then the other side argues that "well if the government wasn't overstepping their bounds it wouldn't have been poaching", because any laws that protect wildlife populations are clearly a direct assault on hunters and not a way to prevent every native species from going extinct because those people have no self control.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you say “bouncy castle” in your pitch to save a bunch of people’s lives, you’re probably autistic.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

A Bad Poster posted:

You're not wrong, but then the other side argues that "well if the government wasn't overstepping their bounds it wouldn't have been poaching", because any laws that protect wildlife populations are clearly a direct assault on hunters and not a way to prevent every native species from going extinct because those people have no self control.

That's not a legal argument from the other side, which is why it was soundly tossed when they tried on appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

BTW the Hammonds are also child abusers.

Very fine people.

• Locked thread