Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The MSJ posted:

Was the Jim Phelps twist in M:I1 a big controversy when the movie was released?

Kind of. I remember the dude who played Phelps on the show being pretty pissed off about it (he was originally asked to reprise his role in the movie, and turned it down because of that - if I'm remembering correctly). I was a little too young to give much of a poo poo when I first saw the movie, but I remember my uncle being annoyed by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Calibre is solid and worth a watch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

tweet my meat posted:

Which mission impossibles are on streaming?

Hulu had all of them a few weeks ago. I think Prime has a couple as well?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nihonniboku posted:

He does. Live Die Repeat (I don't remember the real name for the movie) is wonderful.

But I kind of just can't with him over his messianic role in the scientology organization. And just his romantic life in general. Having his people do auditions for potential girlfriends. How he alienated his children against Nicole Kidman when she refused to convert and they divorced. How Katie Holmes had to get a whole team of lawyers to concoct an escape plan to get her and her daughter away from him.

He's a good actor, and obviously charismatic, and also a completely disturbing and scary individual.
Edge of Tomorrow

I kinda feel sorry for the guy over getting sucked into this cult, but I don't know anything about all the creepy stuff you mentioned.

-------

Is Peaky Blinders S4 worth the effort? I thought things were getting a bit ridiculous in S3. There's so many things to watch I have to start triaging.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

The MSJ posted:

Was the Jim Phelps twist in M:I1 a big controversy when the movie was released?

Not especially, but the internet was still not really a thing for most people outside of AOL at that time. I had one friend who was legit upset about it, so I would imagine if social media had existed beyond Usenet back then, it probably would have been made into a big deal.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

david_a posted:

Edge of Tomorrow

I kinda feel sorry for the guy over getting sucked into this cult, but I don't know anything about all the creepy stuff you mentioned.

-------

Is Peaky Blinders S4 worth the effort? I thought things were getting a bit ridiculous in S3. There's so many things to watch I have to start triaging.

I'm afraid not. The formula is worn pretty thin at this point, and Adrian Brody is laughably bad.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

knows a black guy posted:

I'm afraid not. The formula is worn pretty thin at this point, and Adrian Brody is laughably bad.
Welp, that's 6 hours of my life I'll get to spend on better television, then.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

Welp, that's 6 hours of my life I'll get to spend on better television, then.

Smart move. I've never seen Peaky Blinders. But there are lots of shows that are phenomenal until a point, and then drop way off in quality.

Showtime shows are emblematic of this. Most of their shows are good for only 1, maybe 2 seasons max. Weeds, The Big C, Shameless, Penny Dreadful, Nurse Jackie. Dexter managed to stay good for 4 seasons, a record for Showtime. I always warn friends, stop watching after this specific point, it's not worth it. They never listen. And they always come back telling me I was right, they should have stopped watching.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Smart move. I've never seen Peaky Blinders. But there are lots of shows that are phenomenal until a point, and then drop way off in quality.

Showtime shows are emblematic of this. Most of their shows are good for only 1, maybe 2 seasons max. Weeds, The Big C, Shameless, Penny Dreadful, Nurse Jackie. Dexter managed to stay good for 4 seasons, a record for Showtime. I always warn friends, stop watching after this specific point, it's not worth it. They never listen. And they always come back telling me I was right, they should have stopped watching.

This is true of most American television but particularly for Showtime and the programs you mentioned.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like shows that can keep things good for more than 4 seasons are pretty drat rare.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
One of the reasons I consider Breaking Bad to be in the TV canon is that it gets better every season. The only other show I can think of that fits that pattern is The Expanse.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I can't believe how bad Dexter got towards the end, I've never seen anything crash and burn so hard.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Someone else said that it's kinda better for a show to have a few good seasons then get cancelled too early than to have a few good seasons then some really bad/mediocre ones because the latter sinks a legacy while the former kinda helps it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Someone else said that it's kinda better for a show to have a few good seasons then get cancelled too early than to have a few good seasons then some really bad/mediocre ones because the latter sinks a legacy while the former kinda helps it.

The Simpsons is the prime example of bad seasons ruining the good

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

david_a posted:

Edge of Tomorrow

-------

s4 was really disappointing. adrian brodys gangster was like a mix of a tough kid in kindergarden combined with marlon brando with a cold.

tom hardy should have been the main villain.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I can't believe how bad Dexter got towards the end, I've never seen anything crash and burn so hard.

The only time Dexter ever wasn't complete trash was the scene towards the end of season 1 (I think? maybe it was 2) where he's fantasizing that if everyone knew about him they'd celebrate his actions, which would have been a good (if very dark) gag in a series that didn't constantly apologize for its serial killer protagonist.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The John Lithgow season is pretty dope. The show never had a chance of following that up, so it opted to go full Terri Shiavo for the remaining seasons.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nihonniboku posted:

It’s incredibly hard to give up on a show when you’re invested in it, though. Peaky Blinders, I mean, even at it’s best it wasn’t super amazing so I don’t care about dropping it, but something like Penny Dreadful where the first season was a blast makes it real hard. It somehow got very tedious by the end (with the subject matter I felt like they had to really work to achieve that) but it always seemed like they could have sped things up and reached the peaks again.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
The Leftovers is a prime example of a show being great until the end. Also an example of a show not airing too long.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It's always Sunny in Philadelphia, still rules.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

david_a posted:

It’s incredibly hard to give up on a show when you’re invested in it, though.

I finally stopped watching Heroes three or four episodes from the series finale. I never went back to see how it ended, either. I am weirdly proud of that.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Junkie Disease posted:

It's always Sunny in Philadelphia, still rules.

Yeah I think this is my favorite long running show. Theres a few weak eps but its pretty loving solid overrall imo

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Jose Oquendo posted:

Anyone check out Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter? It doesn't quite go to the same places as Jody Hill's other stuff but I still liked it. Brolin is really good in it and so is the kid they cast.

I can't believe nobody's replied to this.

BUCK FEVER Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter on Netflix is amazing. It is awesome. I just checked and, apparently, BUCK FEVER is not the name of the movie, it's the show being made in the movie so there.

If you enjoy Eastbound and Down or mockumentaries or redneck satire, it's worth the 90 minutes.

All three main characters KILL IT; Brolin, Kenny Powers and the kid - great comedic actor.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 10, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

DangerDummy! posted:

I finally stopped watching Heroes three or four episodes from the series finale. I never went back to see how it ended, either. I am weirdly proud of that.
There probably are more shows I stopped watching but they were so unmemorable they’re lost in time.

Sometimes a show just doesn’t grab you at all either. I stopped watching Ash vs Evil Dead somewhere in the second season. I only made it that far because I felt like I should like it but it didn’t really connect with me at all. The tone seemed very different from the movies.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finished up a Seinfeld series rewatch a few weeks back, and it was crazy how many of the best episodes were from seasons 7, 8 and 9.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Enos Cabell posted:

Finished up a Seinfeld series rewatch a few weeks back, and it was crazy how many of the best episodes were from seasons 7, 8 and 9.

It's a show that never would've survived in today's environment, ratings were extremely mediocre for like 3 entire seasons, and most people agree that the show didn't truly hit it's stride until like Season 5. Of course there are some all-timers mixed in there in the early seasons too but those later seasons were just pure gold from beginning to end.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
im definitely in the "the best seinfeld episodes were in the final few seasons" camp especially my personal favorite episode: "the voice"

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

david_a posted:

Sometimes a show just doesn’t grab you at all either. I stopped watching Ash vs Evil Dead somewhere in the second season. I only made it that far because I felt like I should like it but it didn’t really connect with me at all. The tone seemed very different from the movies.

Yeah, I've been a huge fan of the film's since high school. Ash vs. Evil Dead was fun, but it was a little TOO fun, and over the top. It was more like "Bruce Campbell going nuts against these cool Evil-Deadish ideas we had" rather than a contained story. Still enjoyed it, but I also kinda faded out and dropped it mid season 2.

Speaking of shows that tank hard in the second season, does Westworld count for this thread? The season was so convoluted and nonsensical, my wife and I just barely made it through.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

magnificent7 posted:

I can't believe nobody's replied to this.

BUCK FEVER Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter on Netflix is amazing. It is awesome. I just checked and, apparently, BUCK FEVER is not the name of the movie, it's the show being made in the movie so there.

If you enjoy Eastbound and Down or mockumentaries or redneck satire, it's worth the 90 minutes.

All three main characters KILL IT; Brolin, Kenny Powers and the kid - great comedic actor.

The show within a show was definitely one of my favorite things about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I totally understand dropping Ash vs. Evil Dead in season 2, that was by far the weakest season. But if you enjoyed the first season, I'd highly recommend going back and finishing up the show because it really finishes up on a high note. Not only is season 3 a big improvement over season 2, the finale episode is almost perfect.

As for Westworld I did not make it through season 2 even having loved the first season. I think I've become better at recognizing the signs that a show has entered the "string people along with tantalizing mysteries that we haven't written the answers to yet" and when that happens I immediately pull the plug.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

No mention of Arrested Development? Had the show ended at 3 seasons it would have been remembered as a great, funny series that ended a bit prematurely.

But then they decided to do season 4 and 5 seven years after it ended and, well, :stare:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

red19fire posted:

No mention of Arrested Development? Had the show ended at 3 seasons it would have been remembered as a great, funny series that ended a bit prematurely.

But then they decided to do season 4 and 5 seven years after it ended and, well, :stare:

Season 4 was a steep decline but still had plenty of fun moments, but I don't think I laughed once in Season 5 apart from Tony Wonder getting crushed by tons of cement because Job set up their comeback trick wrong

Also the male cast members protecting Tambor and mansplaining Hollywood to a verbally abused Jessica Walter, who probably has as much experience as the rest combined, left a really bad aftertaste to season 5

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 10, 2018

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Basebf555 posted:

"string people along with tantalizing mysteries that we haven't written the answers to yet" and when that happens I immediately pull the plug.

I agree I agree so much a million times over.

Some of the giveaways:
- "It's better if I show you"
- The Mystery Person shows up and then goes away and then comes back and their back story is flipped on its ear three, four, twelve times.

THAT SAID, my boss has been telling me to stick with WestWorld - and I did, all the way through to half-way through the end of the last episode of S2. He says it all goes nuts in the second half of that episode.

Spoiler: TURNS OUT THE WHITE ROBOT IS THE BLACK BOSS LADY (Not Thandy but the boss of the real humans) AND By END OF THE EPISODE, SHE'S ESCAPED TO THE REAL WORLD! WHO KNEW!?!?

Wish I'd laid some money on that bullshit turnaround.

I still haven't seen the ending yet. He already spoiled it for me, which is fine. The one good thing about having it on Prime is I can just fly past ALL the dialog. Jesus. So much dialog.

And oddly, I even skip past half the action scenes now - the shootouts. Because ANYBODY who gets shot to death is going to be back. Might as well call the show Nobody Dies Ever. Or Netflix: Lost In Space.

Perhaps I'm a little jaded.

Filthy Hans posted:

Season 4 was a steep decline but still had plenty of fun moments, but I don't think I laughed once in Season 5 apart from Tony Wonder getting crushed by tons of cement because Job set up their comeback trick wrong

ODDLY, I really liked S5. S4 was too clunky and they were all just looking for their characters again, I thought. S5 really got back into the stride of wacky hijinks, the Closet store, Maebe acting like an old lady, hell even Henry Winkler brought back his A game.

But that's just me.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 10, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

magnificent7 posted:

ODDLY, I really liked S5. S4 was too clunky and they were all just looking for their characters again, I thought. S5 really got back into the stride of wacky hijinks, the Closet store, Maebe acting like an old lady, hell even Henry Winkler brought back his A game.

But that's just me.

I actually liked it too for a few of the same reasons. The Maebe storyline cracked me up.

Though it was clearly a half season, felt very unfinished.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The original Jurassic Park is on Netflix. I watched it for the first time since VHS tonight. Holy poo poo, it's drat near a perfect movie. There's hardly a shot or a line that doesn't push the story or the action forward. Some of the SFX don't look so hot anymore, but still I got goosebumps when you see the brontosaurus for the first time.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
brachiosaur, you poser

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

deoju posted:

The original Jurassic Park is on Netflix. I watched it for the first time since VHS tonight. Holy poo poo, it's drat near a perfect movie. There's hardly a shot or a line that doesn't push the story or the action forward. Some of the SFX don't look so hot anymore, but still I got goosebumps when you see the brontosaurus for the first time.

:eng101: Brachiosaurus

Edit: fb

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

deoju posted:

And it's still the only good Jurassic Park movie. But good god, is it a wonderful movie that still holds up.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Trap sprung,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

The PBS Ken Burn's documentary is on Netflix. Highly recommend it.