Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

In Training posted:

I'm starting to see 2+ dualies per game and it's pissing me off.

Same but chargers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Do Splatfest Tees always cost 2000 to scrub, or is that only while the Splatfest is actually active? If the former, time to grind some ability chunks aw yeah

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean Octolings have been extinct for years so it's not an absurdly strange thing to miss.

I thought it was just regular octopuses and squids that have been extinct.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

I came to the same conclusion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Harrow posted:

Do Splatfest Tees always cost 2000 to scrub, or is that only while the Splatfest is actually active? If the former, time to grind some ability chunks aw yeah

They're always 2000 to scrub, go hog wild. They used to level at a normal rate too, instead of 7500 per slot, so you could get a chunk like every game or 2. But they patched that.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yeah, not taking this baby off until the Splatfest is over then. Might as well build up that chunk collection.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

https://youtu.be/N1D4Xz-3YE4

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Today was a bad day.

I need help. Are there any good written guides or maybe YouTube videos that aren't insufferable? Also, I've been trying to use the Undercover Brella less because it feels like a crutch, but I'm just dying constantly.

At least there's Salmon Run to look forward to tomorrow.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's the lore on other beings? How minority are they? There's all the Jellies, plus all the other characters that range from other mollusk's like the Sea Slug Hat Lady, the Horseshoe Crab Armorer, the Shrimp Food Vendor, the Shoe dude (Type of crab?), and even a Sea Urchin.

The cats are the obvious WTF outliers, but otherwise there's clearly a pretty big, diverse, and sentient marine civilization out there.

And the Sunken Scrolls (and out of game lore) explain the cats.

And Octarians are known to have been defeated in the Great Turf War and retreated to underground habitats, with the modern commercial Turf Wars based on folk memories of that (of course), but there's not many indications that Inklings are great scholars of history, especially since it takes Cap'n Cuttlefish's underground black ops organisation to actually respond to theft of industrial power sources by Octarians. Agent 3 along with Callie and Marie may have been the first to see an Octoling in years. I think it's meant to be implied that Octarians have been super isolationist in their underground habitats for decades.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

GANDHITRON posted:

Today was a bad day.

I need help. Are there any good written guides or maybe YouTube videos that aren't insufferable? Also, I've been trying to use the Undercover Brella less because it feels like a crutch, but I'm just dying constantly.

At least there's Salmon Run to look forward to tomorrow.

Find a weapon that suits you. I don't do well either with those weapons you listed, but I do very well with the neo splash-o-matic and octobrush.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Seconding the suggestion to experiment with weapons until you find what works for you. You look to be using mostly short-range stuff, maybe try some longer range weapons like the gals or squelchers or whatnot. Being able to outrange people in combat instead of getting all up in their face is a very different experience.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Kaethela posted:

Seconding the suggestion to experiment with weapons until you find what works for you. You look to be using mostly short-range stuff, maybe try some longer range weapons like the gals or squelchers or whatnot. Being able to outrange people in combat instead of getting all up in their face is a very different experience.

I guess that makes sense. Every time I test out a weapon, it surprises the hell out of me how short the range is on anything other than chargers and Splattershot Pro.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe give the 52/96 gal a shot, they're similar to splattershot Pro with higher damage per shot and have some fun sub/special kits.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

In Training posted:

Maybe give the 52/96 gal a shot, they're similar to splattershot Pro with higher damage per shot and have some fun sub/special kits.

.52 Gal Deco is my jam, good range, good damage and the sub/special own.

The Aerosprays are the shortest ranged shooters in the entire game, and the tri-slosher is fairly short range as well. You'll give up the ability to ink crazy amounts of ground but in exchange you should be a bit more combat ready.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Maybe I'll actually learn how to aim if I use a more uh "deliberate" style weapon. Fingers crossed...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kaethela posted:

.52 Gal Deco is my jam, good range, good damage and the sub/special own.

The Aerosprays are the shortest ranged shooters in the entire game, and the tri-slosher is fairly short range as well. You'll give up the ability to ink crazy amounts of ground but in exchange you should be a bit more combat ready.

Isn't the sploosh even shorter ranged then the Aerospray? I remember actually being kinda decent to point blank people with it, but I doubt its an optimal strategy.

Custom Dualie Squelchers and Dapple Dualies (regular or nouveau, depending on your sub/special preference) are ones I'd recommend giving a shot - they feel like a nice balance of paint and kill potential. The Dualie Squelchers have really good range.

I also really like the Mini Splatling - good paint, decent range, but you do need to play a bit defensively, and it might take some getting used to.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I love dualies oh man. The roll is just awesome and feels so clutch. I still can't find a good use for the fast fall but midair fast fall roll jukes are the best.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Isn't the sploosh even shorter ranged then the Aerospray? I remember actually being kinda decent to point blank people with it, but I doubt its an optimal strategy.

I could've sworn this was not the case, so I looked it up - the Sploosh is indeed much shorter ranged than the Aero. The former feels better to play with for some reason though, possibly because of Splashdown.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's the lore on other beings? How minority are they? There's all the Jellies, plus all the other characters that range from other mollusk's like the Sea Slug Hat Lady, the Horseshoe Crab Armorer, the Shrimp Food Vendor, the Shoe dude (Type of crab?), and even a Sea Urchin.

The cats are the obvious WTF outliers, but otherwise there's clearly a pretty big, diverse, and sentient marine civilization out there.

Idk but Crusty Sean being a shrimp that sells shrimp dinners is weird as hell

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Lore-wise, the cats might well be the only mammals left. Judd was cryogenically frozen by a human scientist before the humans died out and Li'l Judd is his clone I'm pretty sure. I don't remember where I read this, of course.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kaethela posted:

I could've sworn this was not the case, so I looked it up - the Sploosh is indeed much shorter ranged than the Aero. The former feels better to play with for some reason though, possibly because of Splashdown.

It might be purely selective memory but it feels like the Sploosh is oddly enough, easier to get kills with. I think it just has a wider spray cone so at a range you can actually hit people with it you're probably going to be hitting them just by aiming in their general direction, and win out because the other person has to actually aim. Unless they're a roller. Or a Brush.

Aerospray is a bit more focused so you have to aim more to pick up kills. That said the RG is pretty fun when your team is good enough to keep the other team busy.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

Harrow posted:

Lore-wise, the cats might well be the only mammals left. Judd was cryogenically frozen by a human scientist before the humans died out and Li'l Judd is his clone I'm pretty sure. I don't remember where I read this, of course.

It's touched on in sunken scroll #27. Judd might be the best indication of scale in the game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just beat a team in Turf War with a Mbappé on it. Shouldn't he be training for the match or is this portentous of a French loss?

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Shame Boner posted:

It's touched on in sunken scroll #27. Judd might be the best indication of scale in the game.

According to Nogami, mammals are basically gone. I assume that what remains are the ones living in ocean.

Also, apparently Art of Splatoon 2 gives Pearl's and Marina's exact heights and they are human sized so so much for all the hints about inklings being tiny.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Please rate my Octoling

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Wow, your woomy is actually a 6000 year old demon?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sentient Data posted:

Wow, your woomy is actually a 6000 year old demon?

They all are

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I'm awful at Grizzco. I used to be ok, but even with this set of weapons which strikes me as pretty drat decent I'm barely winning 1 out of 3 matches. Any pointers? I'm managing much better at Turf War and at Ranked Mode than this.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

What rank are you playing in? The strategy is very different for low and high ranked games.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'm awful at Grizzco. I used to be ok, but even with this set of weapons which strikes me as pretty drat decent I'm barely winning 1 out of 3 matches. Any pointers? I'm managing much better at Turf War and at Ranked Mode than this.

Strangely enough, same. This weapon set seems fine but I've never lost so many rank points in one day. (Splat Roller, Dualie Squelchers, Splattershot, Heavy Splatling)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

repiv posted:

What rank are you playing in? The strategy is very different for low and high ranked games.

I'm 40 points into Overachiever and I'm pretty much floating around there. I only had one game where I was the leader, otherwise I'm coming in last, lucky to be 3rd.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Serenade posted:

Strangely enough, same. This weapon set seems fine but I've never lost so many rank points in one day. (Splat Roller, Dualie Squelchers, Splattershot, Heavy Splatling)

To be honest I'm terrible at playing with rollers, I never use them, and I'm only ok with the Splatling.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played today and could barely win with pubs , something about this set is tripping people up.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Same with me for SR when this is a Good Set even! loving pubs get it together.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost

In Training posted:

I played today and could barely win with pubs , something about this set is tripping people up.

It's because instead of waiting for enemies to come to the middle, people run down to the bay where all the enemies spawn, get overrun and die while leaving eggs near the lift, a mobility bottleneck.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

throw to first drat IT posted:

According to Nogami, mammals are basically gone. I assume that what remains are the ones living in ocean.

Also, apparently Art of Splatoon 2 gives Pearl's and Marina's exact heights and they are human sized so so much for all the hints about inklings being tiny.

Yeah, given the references to sea mammals I presume they're the surviving active population of mammals. Theories about Mr Grizz aside.

We do see pigeons in a few maps and the sound of seagulls, it seems to be otherwise exclusively aquatic life that's gained sentience and humanoid form.

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
Here's a weird model glitch caused by ink armor being applied while I was in a baller:

https://twitter.com/GS_standard/status/1016895070518120448

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Of course I'm team octo.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh hey, the Splatoon Japan account tweeted. Is it patch notes?

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1016971013333049345

:geno: Oh.

In Training posted:

LethalGeek posted:

Same with me for SR when this is a Good Set even! loving pubs get it together.

Blank Construct posted:

It's because instead of waiting for enemies to come to the middle, people run down to the bay where all the enemies spawn, get overrun and die while leaving eggs near the lift, a mobility bottleneck.

Pretty much the last one. The map is Marooner's Bay. A map that heavily demands that players keep their homicidal tendencies in check. Unfortunately, not a lot of players realize that luring bosses back to the basket is really important for this map.

If you are one of those people that likes to kill everything as soon as they spawn, stop that. You are being entirely detrimental to your team. The only boss where it's acceptable to kill them on sight like that are Stingers, which pretty much never move from their perches. You have to remember that you still need to get the golden eggs back to the basket. And it will be really hard to do that if you constantly have to make trips to the edge of the map to grab eggs, and then go all the way back to the basket to deposit them. Over and over. So it's better to let the bosses come to you, especially on Marooner's Bay.

Also bad pubbies are really attracted to good looking weapon sets, so the quality of the pubbies tends to go down heavily during those times.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

The worst part of this SR map is that my idiot crewmates always take the lift up without me. I'm clearly being swarmed and I have an egg, let me on you fucks :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh hey, the Splatoon Japan account tweeted. Is it patch notes?

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/1016971013333049345

:geno: Oh.

That was cool! I'm so curious what the uh raw vocals audio sounds like