Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

loquacius posted:

Hers will probably cover him, is my guess, so he just has to uproot himself to live in a frozen wasteland with no friends, family, or connections of any type, but at least his wife gets to live in a place where people are only racist against her instead of being racist against other people as well as her

Yo, people in Canada are still racist against everyone who isn't white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

For 'MERICA! guy, Move to Canada, get permanent residency from your wife, dump her. US is a piss poo poo country. You only love it because of propaganda forced on you since you were a child. I was the same way until I split.

For dude with engaged sister, I'd honestly be super pissed that my wife was salty about a breakup from a decade ago. If you ain't over that dude, don't be married to me. If you are over that dude, then what's the loving problem? In fact I'd even suggest dude go there with the wife. Blow this marriage up.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

From what I've heard, there are still racists there, but Canadians are less racist on aggregate than Americans except in the case of racism against Native Americans in which case they are the same or worse

But I have no firsthand experience with this and will gladly accept "nah it's just as bad all over" as an alternate narrative from someone who knows better

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Lone Badger posted:

Open the relationship.

Arraigned marriages are about the only time I support opening a marriage. It's like royal families in feudal times, there is the arraigned marriage for family line bullshit, and the consort for loving.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Her brain broke so hard that she has to flee the country, with or without her husband

Sad, imo

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Canada did Trump before America did Trump but yeah I'm sure you'll escape from all the moral and political problems of being an American by moving to an American client state.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

props to her at least for being in the .001% of Democrats who announce to everyone that that's it, they're ~moving to Canada~ every time it's a Republican's turn in the white house who nuts up and actually does it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Dang, the US is turning into a fascist, militaristic hellhole. Better move to a defenseless country right next door in order to escape the coming New American Empire!!!

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

props to her at least for being in the .001% of Democrats who announce to everyone that that's it, they're ~moving to Canada~ every time it's a Republican's turn in the white house who nuts up and actually does it

Yeah what a surprise none of those celebrities follow through.

PS only 3 months until weed is legal up here* :420:
*until it gets pushed back again.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I don’t understand how everyone in Canada isn’t totally built, what with the six hours a day of shoveling snow and all.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Canada: It's Not Technically Part Of The US™

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

blugu64 posted:

I don’t understand how everyone in Canada isn’t totally built, what with the six hours a day of shoveling snow and all.

The problem is the maple syrup and poutine

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Canada: It's Not Technically Part Of The US™

Canada is the state that refuses to admit it's not a country

Texas is the country that refuses to admit it's not a state

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

loquacius posted:

Hers will probably cover him, is my guess, so he just has to uproot himself to live in a frozen wasteland with no friends, family, or connections of any type, but at least his wife gets to live in a place where people are only racist against her instead of being racist against other people as well as her

Well he can smoke weed all day now too I guess.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I could move anywhere south of the border where being native would put me in company with like 90% of the population but I've seen pictures and the locals look like Thugs, and what if my house got flooded and the evil Amerikkkan empire didn't bail me out?

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 10, 2018

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Milotic posted:

I [24F] am in an arranged marriage, and want to get closer to my husband [26M]

Oh honey you’re too young to be beard under the weird pretext of merging your dynasties.

That's really really sad.

The Lone Badger posted:

Open the relationship.

I don't get why he wouldn't do this? Like, even if he doesn't want her to divorce him by learning the truth, make up some reason you can't have sex (childhood trauma or something maybe, so you can avoid having to discuss it ever) and tell her to go find someone to gently caress at least.

Milotic posted:

There’s some good ones this morning

My [29M] sister [26F] is engaged to a man [30M] that once rejected/dumped my wife [29F]. Wife is upset and wants us to skip the wedding. I feel stuck in the middle.

From the comments, apparently the wife has issues with pride and reading social cues.

So from the sounds of it, it was a horrible traumatic relationship of a year that she.. never mentioned before? like

quote:

Turns out the guy and my wife used to date in university. She said they were together for about 1 year before he met someone else, strung her along for a while, and then dumped her very unceremoniously in front of her friends. She was crying because she was so upset.

makes it sound like he heard it the first time right then, doesn't it? I could see a few situations where I would be upset by someone close to me marrying an ex, but that's because he was literally abusive, and murdered a man. I would be scared for her. And my current fiance is well aware of the guy existing and the relationship. Because how are you together 7 years and have been in a relationship that traumatic that it still affects you that badly 7 years later and you never tell your partner at all? When the only trauma from it is "He cheated on me before dumping me"?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I had an ex that I had an extremely acrimonious breakup with in college, who I avoided for several years despite our numerous continued mutual friends, but then about six months ago my wife included her in a group of people she invited to hang out at our place after an event (after clearing it with me ofc) and it was actually fine and we had a nice evening, so in closing she should just suck it up and go to the wedding

Living well is the best revenge, specifically not being mad about a breakup after several years

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
discomfort of any sort and to any degree is completely unacceptable and it can't just exist as a result of life either, it's someone's loving fault and we're gonna figure out what worthless trash fucker it is!!!!!!!1!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

loquacius posted:

I had an ex that I had an extremely acrimonious breakup with in college, who I avoided for several years despite our numerous continued mutual friends, but then about six months ago my wife included her in a group of people she invited to hang out at our place after an event (after clearing it with me ofc) and it was actually fine and we had a nice evening, so in closing she should just suck it up and go to the wedding

Living well is the best revenge, specifically not being mad about a breakup after several years

You gotta keep the smouldering, irrational hatred for somebody who you feel slighted you in the heat of an emotional time in a relationship that ultimately was like tears in rain going for as long as you can my man. Never let go of that hate. Let it consume you. Never forgive. Never forget.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Araenna posted:

So from the sounds of it, it was a horrible traumatic relationship of a year that she.. never mentioned before?
Because how are you together 7 years and have been in a relationship that traumatic that it still affects you that badly 7 years later and you never tell your partner at all? When the only trauma from it is "He cheated on me before dumping me"?
Because you're worried that if you tell your partner, he'll flip out that you're not over it, exhibit A

Hellblazer187 posted:

For dude with engaged sister, I'd honestly be super pissed that my wife was salty about a breakup from a decade ago. If you ain't over that dude, don't be married to me. If you are over that dude, then what's the loving problem?

I don't think "over it" and "pretends it never happened and never speaks about it again" are the same, but there are an absolute ton of people who do

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
My (32/F) boyfriend (32/M) doesn't respect things that are important to me.

quote:

I have been with my boyfriend, Dan, for almost 9 months. Our relationship, to be honest, has been quite a bit bumpy. I have known Dan since we were in middle school. We were good friends throughout middle school, friends in high school and only stayed in touch after high school through facebook occasionally, until we got reconnected about a year ago. Started dating on Halloween. For some back story, both of my parents have passed away. I am an only child and I am not very close to my extended family at all. My best friend, Emily and her husband Jake live about 4.5 hours away. Emily is basically the sister I never had. She got pregnant a year ago. I was so, so happy for her. I can't have kids myself, so to be an Aunt is one of the joys of my life. I was at the hospital when she was born and I was one of the first people to hold her. I love this child like she is my own. Unfortunately, since they live so far away, I am unable to see Emily or baby very much. Since Emily became a Mom, we haven't been able to chat or facetime nearly as much as we used to, which I completely understand.

Dan is a very talented bowler. He competes in tournaments and travels around the country for these tournaments. It just so happens that the state tournament for the state we live in was in the same city that Emily lives in. I had planned to go with Dan to this tournament to cheer him on and have him meet Emily, Jake and baby. A week before the tournament, I had asked Dan specifically what the bowling schedule was and what the schedule for us was. Dan informed me that the group that always meets there (the same group of people he bowls with every week) ALWAYS have dinner Friday and Saturday nights together. I asked him when we were going to go see Emily, Jake and baby. He told me that they could just come to the bowling alley. This wasn't a bad idea, but he was going to be bowling the entire time and since it was a tournament, completely focused on that. I asked him if we could go over to Emily & Jake's house and he informed me that I could take his car (as we went together in his car) to go have dinner with them as the group he went with "always has dinner together." I could understand if he was meeting with people that he only sees occasionally, but everyone that went were all from his bowling league, lives in the same city as us and he sees them every week for bowling. I was extremely disappointed that he was not interested in meeting Emily and Jake, who are so important to me. I told him how I felt and broke down crying because I don't get to see them often as it is and that I was really upset that he didn't want to meet Emily & Jake as they are very important to me. He did agree to going to see Emily & Jake. This happened in April.

My Birthday is in May and it tends to be devastating for me as both of my parents have passed away and my Dad passed away the day before my 14th Birthday in a car accident. One of Dan's best friends, Josh, has been going through a hard time as he found out his wife has been cheating on him. I completely sympathized with Josh and encouraged Dan to spend time with him. Dan had been trying to spent time with Josh, but Josh would turn him down every time he suggested golfing, seeing a movie - Josh would decline. My Birthday was on a Sunday, and the anniversary of my Dad's death was on Saturday. A few days before that weekend, we were invited to a friends house for a gathering in support of Josh to be taken place on that Saturday. To be honest, I didn't really feel like going. I have been seeing a counselor pretty consistently since my Dad passed away and I explained the situation to my counselor and she told me that it would not be selfish of me, considering the situation, to ask that Dan stay with me throughout the weekend. I approached Dan and told him that I didn't really feel like going to the get together. He then proposed that if we didn't go to the get-together on Saturday that he would like to ask Josh to go golfing with him on Sunday, which is my Birthday. (He didn't mention that I would be invited, but rather just him and Josh) I broke into tears. He then told me that he was sorry, etc. I still feel a bit upset about that since he could have asked Josh to go any other days besides those two days and he had asked Josh no less than 4 times to do an activity with him and Josh had declined every time. I just can't seem to get over the fact that he was wanting to leave me alone on my Birthday, which is a very hard day for me, to comfort a friend.

Fast forward to this past weekend. Jake's Mom and Dad have recently retired and relocated to the city that Dan and I live in. There was going to be 2 parties for baby, one where Grandma/Grandpa live (the city Dan and I live in) and one in the city they live in. It wasn't until the last couple of weeks that the details for the party were ironed out. Baby's party was going to be Sunday afternoon, even though baby's actual birthday was on Saturday. Dan's family was doing their 4th of July celebration on Saturday evening at 4:00 PM. I had already promised Dan that we were absolutely going to his family's party even though it was the same day as baby's birthday. Friday evening, Emily had texted me and asked if Dan and I would go with them to a splash pad since baby loves water. She did not provide me with a specific time, but said that she was planning to pick up groceries around 10 AM and it would be sometime after that. So we get up and just kind of lounge around for a few hours. Around 11:30 I texted Emily to see if they were still planning to go to the splash pad (baby has been sick on/off for the past couple weeks) I didn't hear back from Emily immediately and Dan started bashing Emily for being "really inconsiderate" and kept going on and on about how inconsiderate she was being. At that point, we had both decided to shower and I was getting ready to hop in when Emily texted me and said that they were going to be leaving soon. Dan immediately got a very aggressive and nasty tone of voice and said "Well, I am still showering anyway" At that point it was 12pm. Dan then said "You know what? I'd like to get to my Mom's house by 3" I went into the basement of his house and just kind of stood there shell shocked. I can't accurately explain just how much his tone of voice changed and how disgusted he seemed with the whole situation. He came down and insincerely apologized. I was very upset by this because baby is only 1, it is hot and sunny outside - there's no way we were going to be at the splash pad more than 30 to 40 minutes, so we were not in danger of even being close to being late for the party at his Mom's house. So if he would have showered, we essentially would have missed seeing baby at all because by the time we got there, they would be getting close to leaving, if not already left. Dan agreed to not shower until we got back. To add insult to injury, because Dan was messing around on his phone after we got back, we didn't actually leave to go to the party at his Mom's house until 4:07 and didn't show up until a little after 4:30 because he had to stop at the gas station to get a soda. Absolutely no sense of urgency to be on time.

This has not been sitting well with me and so I explained to Dan this morning that I felt disappointed and upset that he had such a crappy attitude regarding the situation on Saturday. He insincerely apologized, didn't acknowledge that what he did was hurtful and upsetting to me and immediately started talking about going to baby's party yesterday even though he "didn't feel good" (which he didn't mention until we got home). I was trying to explain to him about how much events like that where I see Emily, Jake and baby are important to me because they're like my family and he just kept pointing out that he went to the party yesterday because he loves me even though he felt sick.

I am at a loss here. I don't really know what to do at this point. I try to be level headed and understanding, but it just seems like he doesn't seem to really care about anything that is important to me. I don't really know how to approach the situation or how to make him see that his actions are hurtful.

Dealing with a relationship with this woman sounds exhausting.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Xombie posted:

Even her parents checked out

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Xombie posted:

She is just backpedaling and defending herself every chance she can when all the comments are saying she needs to chill out and respect him more lmao

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Paul Zuvella posted:

It isn't an Olympic event, but if it was, they would not win.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Xombie posted:

I dated someone like her who was a walking list of Things She Will Overreact To and, like Dan, enjoyed doing a lot of things that didn't include her and never put together that I didn't like being with her. She ended up "dumping" me as some kind of power move and it was a huge relief - I had the best two weeks of my life between when she dumped me and when she sent me this novel on Facebook asking why I hadn't come begging.

Dan's probably got some low self esteem going on. I hope Dan learns from this relationship that you aren't obligated to date someone just because she's interested.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Is she incapable of doing anything by herself? Like holy poo poo, let him do his dinner and go see your friend.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Rubellavator posted:

Is she incapable of doing anything by herself? Like holy poo poo, let him do his dinner and go see your friend.

She doesn't seem aware that these people who live hours away being important to her doesn't mean they're important to Dan. Everything that is important to Dan she sees as something bad that she has to tolerate. Dan has the more healthy view, in relative terms anyway, of just not caring about things that are important to her.

Also, childless people who obsess over being aunts are obnoxious. If you haven't done 3am feedings or dealt with a poo poo blowout, you haven't earned that Facebook cover photo.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

loquacius posted:

From what I've heard, there are still racists there, but Canadians are less racist on aggregate than Americans except in the case of racism against Native Americans in which case they are the same or worse

But I have no firsthand experience with this and will gladly accept "nah it's just as bad all over" as an alternate narrative from someone who knows better

Isn't Canada the place where the cops pick up drunk indigenous people and drive them out into the boodocks and leave them there to die?

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

Xombie posted:

Hot take: They both suck. If you had to score it, she probably sucks more, but they both suck.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

Even her parents checked out

Hell I checked out before even finishing that exhausting post.

Mill Town
Apr 17, 2006

MightyJoe36 posted:

Isn't Canada the place where the cops pick up drunk indigenous people and drive them out into the boodocks and leave them there to die?

Yes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

MightyJoe36 posted:

:canada:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

MightyJoe36 posted:

Redditor's wife is disgusted by stories of American police brutality toward black people and longs to move to a place where it could happen to her instead

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If the goal is to be a stay at home husband and the wife has some really hard career that's only option for advancement is in Canada, just go. More communication would have been nice, but some careers just send you around as if you were in the military. Like I know some people in really high level science and they're constantly having to move around. Both of them are fancy scientists but it's generally impossible for them to both get jobs in the same country so they just sort of alternate or go with who ever has the highest paying job offer while the other does some part time work-from-home stuff or maybe gets a teaching gig or something.

Dude sounds weirdly attached to his country, like Canada's basically just another state man, you'll be fine, you don't even have to learn a new language. Would he be freaking out so much if they lived in California and she got a job offer in Oregon? He's not leaving a career behind, he's going to be a kept man from the sounds of it. All his resistance seems to come down to a weird feeling of nationalism rather than anything concrete like moving away from friends/family/hobbies.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 10, 2018

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Baronjutter posted:

If the goal is to be a stay at home husband and the wife some really hard career that's only option for advancement is in Canada, just go. More communication would have been nice, but some careers just send you around as if you were in the military. Like I know some people in really high level science and they're constantly having to move around. Both of them are fancy scientists but it's generally impossible for them to both get jobs in the same country so they just sort of alternate or go with who ever has the highest paying job offer while the other does some part time work-from-home stuff or maybe gets a teaching gig or something.

Dude sounds weirdly attached to his country, like Canada's basically just another state man, you'll be fine, you don't even have to learn a new language. Would he be freaking out so much if they lived in California and she got a job offer in Oregon? He's not leaving a career behind, he's going to be a kept man from the sounds of it. All his resistance seems to come down to a weird feeling of nationalism rather than anything concrete like moving away from friends/family/hobbies.
I don't see why her getting a job offer means she gets 100% of the say in where they live. Is her field one that can only be done in this part of canada? Just because some employers see fit to move their employees around like chess pieces doesn't mean you should agree to those terms and work for them. The place you live affects the person not working more than the person working anyway - it's more hours a week with nothing to do but, well, live in the place. He doesn't say where he lives now, but I know I'd prefer to live where I am than anywhere in canada.

If they were desperate for cash and she had trouble getting any job offers at all it'd be a different story but it's bizarre to think you get to decide that unilaterally. I guess I personally value my partner at least pretending to give a poo poo how I feel about things.

Also "I'm moving to canada" is some funny bougie liberal poo poo and I'm glad she will implode her marriage over it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

glad we have so many patriots itt mad that someone would want to leave america

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't see why her getting a job offer means she gets 100% of the say in where they live. Is her field one that can only be done in this part of canada? Just because some employers see fit to move their employees around like chess pieces doesn't mean you should agree to those terms and work for them. The place you live affects the person not working more than the person working anyway - it's more hours a week with nothing to do but, well, live in the place. He doesn't say where he lives now, but I know I'd prefer to live where I am than anywhere in canada.

If they were desperate for cash and she had trouble getting any job offers at all it'd be a different story but it's bizarre to think you get to decide that unilaterally. I guess I personally value my partner at least pretending to give a poo poo how I feel about things.

Also "I'm moving to canada" is some funny bougie liberal poo poo and I'm glad she will implode her marriage over it.

Yeah I have no idea her career situation. If she's like an astronomer or mathematician or something then you absolutely do move to the country your next job is in because that's very likely the one and only opportunity you're going to get, and if you don't keep employed you quickly become unemployable and your career is ruined. If the only observatory hiring is in Hawaii you move to Hawaii, if a university in New Zealand is the only place offering you a research position for 4 years, you're buying tickets to NZ or giving up on your career.

Or maybe she's just a programmer or actuary or something, applied to a random job in Canada and now is demanding they go even though she could easily get similar jobs locally. I'm giving her a massive benefit of the doubt assuming it's more the former situation than the later.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Xun posted:

Lol I’m a “proud” graduate of UT! School turned around and started trying to guilt me into donating money a month after I graduated (and constantly while I was there) on top of hiking up tuition every year because gawrsh the school of your favorite football team is just so poor and in need of money. There is just not enough money to hire enough professors so all the students in your department can actually take their mandatory classes on time! What do you mean the football coach makes millions and get raises regularly

KU did something similar, but it turns out that all the basketball stuff is owned by a private corporation, including the stadium and parking, so none of the basketball money can go back to the school.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Pick posted:

I'm never lovely to my female friends, I am awesome to all of my friends.

Yeah, but you don't strike me as the type to be watching "The Real Housewives of whatever" on Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Brother Entropy posted:

glad we have so many patriots itt mad that someone would want to leave america

"One of the other crabs is getting out of the bucket!"