Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Why haven't there been any completely ham handed student loan metaphor sci fi short stories or Black Mirror episodes?

Edit: you know where you have 5 generations of your family paying off their great great grandfather's technical degree

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

ikanreed posted:

Why haven't there been any completely ham handed student loan metaphor sci fi short stories or Black Mirror episodes?

Edit: you know where you have 5 generations of your family paying off their great great grandfather's technical degree

putting the exact real future plan on the teevee gives the game away

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

they really do all tend to blend together into one SuperThread

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

ikanreed posted:

Black Mirror is a british show, do they have student loans over there?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Politics.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Peanut President posted:

They will

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

wow gunshot to head sure takes a lot longer than a shotgun

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

It’s gunshot of head, the tricky part obviously is to hold the gun with your teeth while your tongue pulls the trigger :eng101:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ZVl2x-euA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/jibuki/status/1016490205027622912

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1016132156006035456

quote:

Police officers wearing A.I.-powered smart glasses in Luoyang.

quote:

An outdoor screen in Xiangyang displays photos of jaywalkers alongside their names and I.D. numbers. The idea is to embarrass offenders into compliance.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

That's Jeopardy.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Peanut President posted:

it used to be free with a government grant to cover living costs then blair introduced tuition fees then cameron tripled the fees and got rid of the grant

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I think this fits here because their reason for this extremely stupid decision is that if they get people to spend more time watching HBO then they'll have more user data to monetize and sell to advertisers.
https://twitter.com/jackpoo/status/1016672345564598272
AT&T paid a shitload of money for HBO, which is a pretty unique channel that people are in to because of its uniqueness, and now not even a month later wants to tear down everything unique about HBO and make it Netflix.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

HBO had a good run

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

sticking a banana in my ear to own the doctors

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Wheeee posted:

HBO had a good run

Netflix sucks so bad in terms of its original content. They still haven't made a better original movie than Beasts of No Nation - their first one. And their original TV shows are even shittier and more numerous. Their best TV series is a spoof of true crime documentaries, which is by far their most consistently strong content. At least we'll always have The Wire, Rome, Carnivale, and Deadwood.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 15:28 on Jul 10, 2018

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The one thing every golden age has in common, is that they all end

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
I was going to defend Netflix, but I couldn't think of anything good except Glow and Bojack.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
massive wealthy corporations don't really need defending

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PayPal told customer her death breached its rules

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44783779

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Tunicate posted:

lol

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Tunicate posted:

The coming debt catastrophe won't be complete without courts deciding that extreme poverty is even more inheritable than extreme wealth, so creditors can just keep adding up interest while hounding you/your siblings/kids/etc to pay your dying parents' absurd medical bills. Forever and/or until they can legally enslave your grandkids (and all future generations, once they apply unlimited compound interest to unlimited late fees.)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

silentsnack posted:

The coming debt catastrophe won't be complete without courts deciding that extreme poverty is even more inheritable than extreme wealth, so creditors can just keep adding up interest while hounding you/your siblings/kids/etc to pay your dying parents' absurd medical bills. Forever and/or until they can legally enslave your grandkids (and all future generations, once they apply unlimited compound interest to unlimited late fees.)

jokes on them, millennial aren’t having kids

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

jokes on them, millennial aren’t having kids

Dear Anime Pillow Waifu

Your late husband Weeb McWeebson has an outstanding debt of $794 spent on 1 (one) "Anime Pillow Waifu".

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Netflix sucks so bad in terms of its original content. They still haven't made a better original movie than Beasts of No Nation - their first one. And their original TV shows are even shittier and more numerous. Their best TV series is a spoof of true crime documentaries, which is by far their most consistently strong content. At least we'll always have The Wire, Rome, Carnivale, and Deadwood.

instead of a carnegie-esque rehabilitation of his legacy with philanthropic works promoting literacy and civic engagement, jeff bezos will burnish his reputation by making slightly less lovely TV shows for prime video than every single telecom and streaming service, who are apparently congenitally unable to figure out why anything was good or watchable ever

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Breaking Bad, but walt and jesse settle their differences with a best of 5 smash bros. tournament on Nintendo Switch, working real hard for Gustavo Fring: the Cool Boss

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
the awful karate movie parodies we made in high school to get out of doing Actual Work are lit and photographed and edited better than a team of professionals trying their hardest to earn a living in the employ of Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXt2aCBoPRA&t=40s

we were kids who didn't do any martial art, were either fat or emaciated, didn't know a single thing about photography, and didn't have the slightest inclination toward acting, but we'd seen a loving movie before and play-fought before while horsing around like teens and we knew what did and didn't work. kinda. sorta. not really.

i dont know what these guys fuckin' excuse is. america used to be good at this. there must've been a time we were good at this.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Uh, you can't send mail to dead people, paypal. You should probably contact the executor of the estate. Where's you general counsel at?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

the awful karate movie parodies we made in high school to get out of doing Actual Work are lit and photographed and edited better than a team of professionals trying their hardest to earn a living in the employ of Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXt2aCBoPRA&t=40s

we were kids who didn't do any martial art, were either fat or emaciated, didn't know a single thing about photography, and didn't have the slightest inclination toward acting, but we'd seen a loving movie before and play-fought before while horsing around like teens and we knew what did and didn't work. kinda. sorta. not really.

i dont know what these guys fuckin' excuse is. america used to be good at this. there must've been a time we were good at this.

imo everyone says that the peak of american action movies was the 80s for a reason. arnold and jkvd and whoever couldnt act in any sort of drama for a drat but the movies had impressive physical feats. in american action movies now the choreography is all rear end and there are 10000 jump cuts per fight for god knows whatever reason and its impossible to tell whats going on

the last hollywood movie i can remember where there was a choreographed combat scene that was actually affecting was nearly ten years ago in drive because they actually went out to make violence that was realistic and terrifying instead of some cartoony green screen bullshit in the only action movies hollywood makes anymore, superhero crap and star wars

you can still find decent action movies these days theyre all just being made in asia on shoestring budgets. (dunno if the more recent ip mans that got hollywood-esque budgets are any good though)

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Jul 10, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
upgrade came and went but that was a really solid little cyberpunk action movie

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
all of the fight scenes in the new marvel movies are indistinguishable from rgb.swf

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

john wick 1 is the only action movie i've enjoyed recently because you actually saw what was happening during the action scenes

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Phone posted:

all of the fight scenes in the new marvel movies are indistinguishable from rgb.swf

that and they're shot like TV shows

we live in an era where prestige TV is trying to ape the movie look and failing, and movies are trying to look like TV shows and boy are they succeeding

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Al! posted:

john wick 1 is the only action movie i've enjoyed recently because you actually saw what was happening during the action scenes

oh yeah i forgot that one. john wick was actually pretty great.

i havent seem john wick 2, but i heard 3 is casting boban marjonavich as a henchman for keanu to fight which is an extremely encouraging piece of news

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

2 is better than 1

1 kinda deflates in the second half whereas 2 just builds and builds to a really satisfying conclusion that neatly sets up a third movie and it has morpheus which is good

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
not sure if this is good or bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

2 is better than 1

1 kinda deflates in the second half whereas 2 just builds and builds to a really satisfying conclusion that neatly sets up a third movie and it has morpheus which is good

i found 2 to be an extremely dumb cash in