Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Janeway's probably got them all beat if you count the number of times Voyager was destroyed with all hands but then restored at the end of the episode.

Janeway killed Harry and baby Wildman. Not to be outdone, quantum duplicate Janeway killed everyone except Harry and baby Wildman. By the way, how do we score the time Neelix died, but got reanimated as a walking corpse?

MikeJF posted:

If I recall they don't lose anyone for the entire first two seasons or something.

To be fair, he was initially saved, then died off-screen because Phlox missed some MacGuffin in the dude's blood. A sort of foreshadowing to all the fanfare they give Trip's death in the finale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

How much is the transporter used on each ship, if we're going that route. Tuvix counts as at least 3 kills, for example.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hello, I have a pitch for the new series with Patrick Stewart.

Set it in the JJ Verse, and the Vulcan diaspora has settled on Bajor. Admiral Picard is there to oversee a contingent of Federation military advisors on Deep Space 9 because Bajor, with the help of the Vulcans, has been resisting Cardassia much better than in the prime universe. The war is getting hotter when the wormhole is discovered.

Thanks, I'll take my answer off the air.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Doggles posted:

Janeway killed Harry and baby Wildman. Not to be outdone, quantum duplicate Janeway killed everyone except Harry and baby Wildman. By the way, how do we score the time Neelix died, but got reanimated as a walking corpse?

To be fair, he was initially saved, then died off-screen because Phlox missed some MacGuffin in the dude's blood. A sort of foreshadowing to all the fanfare they give Trip's death in the finale.

I really love how hosed the transporter was on ENT, and how scared everyone was of it. Its one of those things I figured after 2 episodes they would just be beaming around like every other trek (like voyager would have done) but somehow throughout the show they kept that they barely used it and people hated it.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Enterprise gets pretty justly slammed, but it does manage to portray humanity as complete amateurs, on the galactic stage for the first time, surrounded by older, more established powers, with the Enterprise sort of bungling along, with new technology the crew only half understands, not entirely sure what they're doing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doggles posted:

No, he lives. They added a clumsy 'OH WAIT HE'S FINE' at the end of the episode.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jul 10, 2018

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Trip dies in the end?

Maybe I should give Enterprise another shot :thunk:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doggles posted:

Janeway killed Harry and baby Wildman. Not to be outdone, quantum duplicate Janeway killed everyone except Harry and baby Wildman.

Other way around - the original voyager is the one that exploded, the duplicate is the one that made it home, Harry is the only survivor of Voyager's original crew.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Epicurius posted:

It's 57, from our friends at Memory Alpha:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet_casualties_(23rd_century)

Picard comes in first, with 61 on the Enterprise D, and 10 on the Enterprise E. Sisko's got 33, and Janeway has at least 33. Archer had 13.

To be fair, TOS was the shortest of all the series, so on a per episode basis Kirk easily comes out on top.

I think I once did something like this for Voyagers crew, and it turned out that the amount of crew shown over the series (as in actors with talking parts) is greater than the amount of crew Voyager was supposed to have, even when you include the Maquis and the Equinox dudes. Non-talking extras don't count, I'm willing to forgive that reality of TV production.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This might just be because I'm dumb, but when I watched ENT, I had a hard time visually telling the difference between Trip and Reed. Two thirtysomething white guys with roughly the same haircut and same uniform. If they didn't open their mouths to speak, I'd just kind of have to guess which one it was

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Trip has the tiny head. Reed was the potted plant.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Crew numbers is on thing that never sat right with me, especially in TNG.

The ship has, what, 1014 people? Who the hell are these people and what do they do all day? Everything is handled by the 'heads of departments' - If there's an engineering problem, Geordi and / or Data will fix it. Worf will get his rear end kicked by any big bad when there's a call for security, Crusher will heal any minor or major injury with her magic stick and Riker will lead any away team / flash his baby blues at any new female characters.

Are the rest made up of families, astrophysics researchers, primary school teachers, and those guys who effectively act as seat warmers to the main crew whenever someone important needs to leave their station?

It seems like the Enterprise is a place to go if you never want to go anywhere in your Starfleet career. God forbid if you're in security.

Fully aware of story / production realities. It just feels funny in a show that's all about crew cohesion and friendships to have such nepotism in high command. It feels like that was one of the 'good utopian ideals' established by roddenberry early on that they were stuck with throughout the series.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Isometric Bacon posted:

Crew numbers is on thing that never sat right with me, especially in TNG.

The ship has, what, 1014 people? Who the hell are these people and what do they do all day? Everything is handled by the 'heads of departments' - If there's an engineering problem, Geordi and / or Data will fix it. Worf will get his rear end kicked by any big bad when there's a call for security, Crusher will heal any minor or major injury with her magic stick and Riker will lead any away team / flash his baby blues at any new female characters.

Are the rest made up of families, astrophysics researchers, primary school teachers, and those guys who effectively act as seat warmers to the main crew whenever someone important needs to leave their station?

It seems like the Enterprise is a place to go if you never want to go anywhere in your Starfleet career. God forbid if you're in security.

Fully aware of story / production realities. It just feels funny in a show that's all about crew cohesion and friendships to have such nepotism in high command. It feels like that was one of the 'good utopian ideals' established by roddenberry early on that they were stuck with throughout the series.

As I recall, the operational crew of the D was pretty small; it has lots of scientists aboard. Hell, there are probably people there who are just there to be the astromalacologist when the ship really needs one and spend most of the time aboard just living there and working on their thesis.

That said, you've got three shifts. 800 crew, the rest are civilians. So what, 270 active per shift? On a 30 deck ship? Average less than 10 on-duty crew per deck, and some of those decks are the size of a town.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 10, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

astromalacologist

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MikeJF posted:

That said, you've got three shifts. 800 crew, the rest are civilians. So what, 270 active per shift? On a 30 deck ship? Average less than 10 on-duty crew per deck, and some of those decks are the size of a town.

And keep in mind not everyone works every day. Some people are on regular days off, like a weekend, some are just on leave. So 270 per shift on paper, but probably more like 240+, and spread across however many departments there are. God forbid the guys in engineering take leave at once, suddenly you're down to 23 guys on nights who can fix the ship, so they just leave stuff for the next guys and the enmity builds.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Well, according to wikipedia the newest class of aircraft carrier has over 2600 people on board. If anything, 1014 on something the size of the galaxy class is on the small side, but then I have to figure theres a crapload of automation at that point for most mundane things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was originally gonna be 5000 but they didn't think they could show it.

The plans have like half the ship's volume as just tankage and supplies.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Kirk's crew death count is proportionally very high considering only 3 seasons. And since each movie portrays an incident roughly similar to that of an episode, that only adds about a quarter of a season to the numbers.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

It was originally gonna be 5000 but they didn't think they could show it.

The plans have like half the ship's volume as just tankage and supplies.
Yeah there were large areas of the D that were just open space or storage. Obviously those need checking but the four Warehouse Decks probably need less fussing with. Cetacean Ops can probably be minded by the Gunbuster whales, potentially with some sound-controlled helper drones for hands.

Also without the Sisko I imagine the Dominion War can be ended fairly readily by pissing verteron particles into the wormhole, couldn't it? I mean at that point the Dominion ships would either lose one of their great advantages (connection to a mega-empire) or would at the very least need to hole up and start producing the white.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
In "The Visitor" timeline, it's mentioned that the Klingons took over DS9; one might imagine that without Sisko, the changeling impersonating Martok was never exposed, and the Dominion was still playing a long game rather than ever moving openly.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Angry Salami posted:

In "The Visitor" timeline, it's mentioned that the Klingons took over DS9; one might imagine that without Sisko, the changeling impersonating Martok was never exposed, and the Dominion was still playing a long game rather than ever moving openly.

And if they did discover Martok, they would have probably seen how many torpedoes they could cram into the wormhole as soon as possible.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

And keep in mind not everyone works every day. Some people are on regular days off, like a weekend, some are just on leave. So 270 per shift on paper, but probably more like 240+, and spread across however many departments there are. God forbid the guys in engineering take leave at once, suddenly you're down to 23 guys on nights who can fix the ship, so they just leave stuff for the next guys and the enmity builds.

It would suck being any of the bridge crew in those other shifts. Lots of sitting around, starting at readouts, and the minute anything interesting happens, get your rear end out of that seat and into the corner because Picard and his buddies are taking over. You can sit in your lavish apartment whilst the ship shakes and the lights turn on and off, hoping your deck isn't one of the ones that loses containment or recieves structural damage for reasons you aren't aware of.

Not much room to climb the corporate ladder unless you're in the personal clique of the big guy. Hell, most of the time he has a literal child piloting the ship who isn't even officially started his academy training.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It takes a lot of people to run all those quarterly performance reviews

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Isometric Bacon posted:

Hell, most of the time he has a literal child piloting the ship who isn't even officially started his academy training.

Nobody ever remembers ensign gates. :(

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

Galaxy class has forty-two decks and (theoretically) just over 77 hectares of usable deck space:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

:golfclap:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A galaxy class has the internal volume of 50 modern super heavy aircraft carriers. Each of which has a crew of 5,000.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Enterprise is first and foremost an Uber for diplomats and scientists, so you need a lot of space for all the diplomats and scientists.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PostNouveau posted:

The Enterprise is first and foremost an Uber for diplomats and scientists, so you need a lot of space for all the diplomats and scientists.
Then even more space for the baggage of all the crazy scientists and admirals they’ve had to carry around

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

This is amusing, but I have a feeling I'm missing a joke here...

...and that I'm going to be outed as pathetic for never having watched whatever it's referencing. :(

(at least I'll be helping out all the other pathetic people)

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Galaxy class has forty-two decks and (theoretically) just over 77 hectares of usable deck space:

Dear lord, that is just ridiculous.

In the middle of season six at the moment and am going to assume the writers just decide to ignore / not pay attention to that stuff, as I am. The show feels much less silly that way.

Being invited to a Data poetry recital or a Crusher play would be like being invited out to lunch with your large sized companies' CEO. You would only do it to hob knob with the most important people on-board.

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

Hipster_Doofus posted:

...and that I'm going to be outed as pathetic for never having watched whatever it's referencing. :(

#EmissaryingWhileBlack

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

It’s a big thing right now about white people calling the cops for things like:

a black family having a barbecue
a black 8yo girl selling bottles of water
a black 12yo cutting lawns who went slightly over their property line
a black man wearing socks by the apartment complex pool
a black woman using the community pool of the neighbourhood she lives in
a black firefighter doing safety inspections
a black lawmaker canvassing her own district in Oregon

Have a look at the news every now and again (these are all from the last month.)

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 10, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
No need for the smugness, I'm aware of those news stories but I didn't immediately make the connection that she was calling the police.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sir Lemming posted:

No need for the smugness, I'm aware of those news stories but I didn't immediately make the connection that she was calling the police.

one of them got memed

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Tunicate posted:

more than one of them got memed

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Isometric Bacon posted:

You can sit in your lavish apartment whilst the ship shakes and the lights turn on and off, hoping your deck isn't one of the ones that loses containment or recieves structural damage for reasons you aren't aware of.

You know, the view is probably nice, but if you were a crewman onboard any of the Enterprises you’d probably want the cabin located in the deepest part of the saucer. No random explosive decompressions, no possessive alien souls that always come in through the windows, and you don’t have to replace all your poo poo if there’s a saucer sep and the stardrive turns to ash.

The most you’d have to worry about is the extra time it takes to get to work.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You know, the view is probably nice, but if you were a crewman onboard any of the Enterprises you’d probably want the cabin located in the deepest part of the saucer. No random explosive decompressions, no possessive alien souls that always come in through the windows, and you don’t have to replace all your poo poo if there’s a saucer sep and the stardrive turns to ash.

The most you’d have to worry about is the extra time it takes to get to work.

Please. This is the 24th century. Material possessions are meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Please. This is the 24th century. Material possessions are meaningless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqb9q3c1Pxo&t=345s