Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

bessantj posted:

Batman and Superman's origin stories have never changed have they? I mean in main continuity.

Only change for Bats is who did it I believe. Sometimes it's Chill. Sometimes it's a nobody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

Only change for Bats is who did it I believe. Sometimes it's Chill. Sometimes it's a nobody.

They'll do minor tweaks like sometimes Bruce insists on going to Zorro, sometimes he insists that Martha wear the pearls, and in Gothic the movie is a treat for Bruce who's just come home from an abusive boarding school.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

In the second arc of Jeph Loeb's Batman/Superman book another Supergirl appears that's her cousin from Krypton's sister planet, similar origin to the Supergirl in the DCAU cartoon. I think the post New 52 Supergirl has a similar origin too.

I don't get to read DC so it's good to know what's going on. Is Hal Jordan considered the worst Green Lantern?

SonicRulez posted:

I'm surprised that no one has made it so Bruce Wayne has to go back in time and kill his own parents to make sure he would become Batman and save the world or something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bessantj posted:

I don't get to read DC so it's good to know what's going on. Is Hal Jordan considered the worst Green Lantern?
:can:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

It depends on if your name is Geoff Johns or not.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I watched a bunch of episodes of Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Guy Gardner came across as a bit of an rear end but I thought I remembered people on here saying Hal was the worst.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bessantj posted:

I'm surprised that no one has made it so Bruce Wayne has to go back in time and kill his own parents to make sure he would become Batman and save the world or something.
Waller will send Terry to do it sooner or later.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Waller will send Terry to do it sooner or later.

Is Terry that future Batman?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

bessantj posted:

So him being the last survivor of an exploding krypton (except for perhaps his cousin, a dog, a horse, a monkey and several other Kryptonians) has stayed true? How did they Bring Supergirl back after Crisis on Infinite Earths (was that the right one?)
After Crisis on Infinite Earths, the revamped origin of Superman by John Byrne established that there was definitely never a Supergirl ever, and Clark never dressed up as Superboy, he only became Superman as an adult in Metropolis, and a host of other things that no one was really happy with but they stuck to it.

Consequently there were multiple Supergirls (and Zods, and Kryptos, and Superboys) over the years with convoluted and goofy origins until about twenty years later when Jeph Loeb in Superman/Batman just went "hey Supergirl is here and she has the exact same origin and backstory as the Silver Age one, except she dresses waaaaaaaay sexier!"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Loeb did add the wrinkle that Kara is technically older than Kal, and the whole "pod got knocked off course" thing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Scaramouche posted:

If you're doing power girl you gotta do huntress as well. Swamp thing. Black canary.

Make this the new Justice League Dark lineup.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

howe_sam posted:

Loeb did add the wrinkle that Kara is technically older than Kal, and the whole "pod got knocked off course" thing.

That's in the CW show too, which somehow also makes her stronger than Superman, probably because she actually had to struggle to lift heavy things at one point in her life.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bessantj posted:

I don't get to read DC

By court order? Implanted brain chip that zaps you?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

After Crisis on Infinite Earths, the revamped origin of Superman by John Byrne established that there was definitely never a Supergirl ever, and Clark never dressed up as Superboy, he only became Superman as an adult in Metropolis, and a host of other things that no one was really happy with but they stuck to it.

Consequently there were multiple Supergirls (and Zods, and Kryptos, and Superboys) over the years with convoluted and goofy origins until about twenty years later when Jeph Loeb in Superman/Batman just went "hey Supergirl is here and she has the exact same origin and backstory as the Silver Age one, except she dresses waaaaaaaay sexier!"

Is Infinite Earths the better of the crisis arcs?

Teenage Fansub posted:

By court order? Implanted brain chip that zaps you?

By lack of funds.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think COIE and Final Crisis are the good ones.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought (the way I've always heard it described at least) was that COIE was just a hot mess and is only worth reading as a piece of comic history

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think COIE and Final Crisis are the good ones.

Was Final Crisis the last crisis? Is Doomsday Clock still going? Is it any good?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

Was Final Crisis the last crisis? Is Doomsday Clock still going? Is it any good?

Yes, yes, and debatable

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's not deep or anything, but I thought it was neat.
I think it's tons better that the similar mid-80's mega event, Secret Wars.

Zero Hour is the mess.

bessantj posted:

Was Final Crisis the last crisis?

It's the last thing with Crisis in the name, but there have been several big crossover events since then. Flashpoint could as well have been called Flash-Crisis.
The recent Metal was almost called Dark Crisis.

If you're looking to get into DC, don't just look to events. They're never the best thing going and half the time exist to alter continuity rather than tell a good story.

edit:

Jordan7hm posted:

COIE is near incomprehensible if you don’t already know a ton of DC lore.

Maybe it was just how I liked to do things, but I enjoyed the process of learning backwards from it, like dork anthropology.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 10, 2018

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
COIE is near incomprehensible if you don’t already know a ton of DC lore.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I thought (the way I've always heard it described at least) was that COIE was just a hot mess and is only worth reading as a piece of comic history

As someone who came to it years later it really isn't that interesting of a story. The only part of it that really works is Barry running himself to death to save the world.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Slight subject change best/worst flash?

EDIT: Thanks muscles like this! :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Characters or comics?
The best to get into are Waid's or Johns' runs, but the current series ain't bad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bessantj posted:

Wally/Barry

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Characters or comics?
The best to get into are Waid's or Johns' runs, but the current series ain't bad.

Characters, not sure when I'll be able to get the comics but I will keep them in mind for when I can!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If you aren't a DC fanboy I would recommend avoiding any event that has the word "crisis" in it because they are usually steeped in so much DC lore that even DC fan's can have a hard time figuring out what the hell is going on. The Crisis books really like to build upon one another with characters that might not have been seen since the previous crisis.
Actually this brings me to my question: the monitors/anti-monitor? Were the created specifically for CoIE? Were they used since CoIE apart from future crisis books (I know Anti-Monitor was used in Sinestro Corps War but was the concept of the Monitors ever used after CoIE and before Final Crisis)?

edit: Best Flash Wally. I have no opinion about Barry other than he suffers from Hal Jordan Syndrome in that Johns was a Barry fanboy and made Barry totally awesome not a wet blanket but really awesome guys Flash when he returned. I would actually like to see how modern Barry matches up against Silver Age/pre CoIE Barry in terms of personality.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Monitors were in Countdown and the Anti-Monitor was also in Brightest Day and The Darkseid War.

edit: As far as I know.

Here's a list on monitor appearances. No idea how complete it is.
http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Monitors/Appearances

Looks like monitors only popped back up after Infinite Crisis.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 10, 2018

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How good/bad are the various Green Lantern arcs Brightest Day, Blackest Night, Sinestro Corps War, War of the Green Lanterns, Sins of the Star Sapphire and any prominent ones I've missed?

Madkal posted:

If you aren't a DC fanboy I would recommend avoiding any event that has the word "crisis" in it because they are usually steeped in so much DC lore that even DC fan's can have a hard time figuring out what the hell is going on. The Crisis books really like to build upon one another with characters that might not have been seen since the previous crisis.

That's good advice, I know next to nothing about DC stuff.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Skwirl posted:

His real name was Logan, and then it was Howlett, I never read the series where that happened, but I think it also contradicted a bunch of other previously known facts.
Also he was a secret wolfman and never a mutant.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sinestro Corp War ruled. Only read the others if you're real invested in the GL mythos. I personally liked all of Johns run on GL until the end of Blackest Night, but you won't find many people who share my enthusiasm. Brightest Day felt more like a jumping off point than a exciting new beginning. The only story that was really left to tell after BN was the Indigo Tribe storyline that started New 52 Green Lantern.

TLDR; Definitely check out Sinestro Corp War. Proceed with caution after.

EDIT: Batman has had to go back in time and let his parents die once during Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman Absolute Power arc, and recently in Tom King's Batman in the Booster Gold arc.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

bessantj posted:

Wally/Barry and any other answer is super wrong. There's some debate with the Lanterns. Also the Robins. Never with the Flashes though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

bessantj posted:

How good/bad are the various Green Lantern arcs Brightest Day, Blackest Night, Sinestro Corps War, War of the Green Lanterns, Sins of the Star Sapphire and any prominent ones I've missed?

That's all part of Geoff Johns' Green Lantern run. The collections can't really be read in isolation. Start at the start and see if you like it. There was a companion book running called Green Lantern Corps (the mid 2000s version) about everyone other than Hal Jordan, which I tended to like more than the main title.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Bart was the worst Flash.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Halloween Jack posted:

Does the Riddler still have an origin where he cheated to find the answer to a riddle? That always seemed off.

That was the origin in Alex Ross’ Justice series. I found that series just a bit too much of Alex Ross “the thing you think you know. It’s really the opposite!! WOO!!!!” Narrative spin that he used a lot in his Earth X trilogy for Marvel.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The best Flash was the one with the cool helmet.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Earth-X was really good - like The Matrix it's a mystery why they never made any sequels to it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

I forget who gave Supergirl her Mike Turner costume - it was either Lois or maybe Ma Kent. I think the former, but still.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Jay Garrick is my favourite Flash. TV Barry Allen is my least favourite.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

bessantj posted:

Are there any characters that have had numerous origin retcons?
Magma from the New Mutants had her origin retconned, then un-retconned back to what it was originally.

Spider-Woman has had a few changes to her origin over the years too, Bendis came out with a Spider-Woman: Origin mini back around 2005 to give a sort of canon version of it.

Magneto I guess, kind of. Mostly his name though I suppose, for the most part the details of his origin have remained the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jay Garrick is my favourite Flash. TV Barry Allen is my least favourite.