Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deftest
May 7, 2011

Books On Tape posted:

If the early reviews/articles are right in that there is no sign of the eight stories connecting to a single story arc, I'll be a bit disappointed. I mean, they have to connect eventually somehow, right?

This is as much as I've seen going around, anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Port Saga Frontier to Switch so I can be my good robot boy

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Books On Tape posted:

If the early reviews/articles are right in that there is no sign of the eight stories connecting to a single story arc, I'll be a bit disappointed. I mean, they have to connect eventually somehow, right?

No they don't. It wouldn't be the first game SE puts out like that and even in the earliest teasers wasn't it described as 8 characters with 8 different adventures who might cross paths (join your party)?

SaGa Frontier was unfinished and buggy but even though some main characters could join each other they had no specific impact on the story of the character you were playing. Assuming they had a story, Lute.

Though I guess he was at least given a start and finish, which is more than Fuse got. :rip:

Harlock posted:

Port Saga Frontier to Switch so I can be my good robot boy

Eh if they added the cut/missing content I'd probably get it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
At least this thread is better than the resetera thread, where p. much everyone is freaking out over whether or not the stories will connect.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Unlucky7 posted:

At least this thread is better than the resetera thread, where p. much everyone is freaking out over whether or not the stories will connect.

Who loving cares. The game will be good either way.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Mordiceius posted:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Mordiceius posted:

:yeah:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Finally cracked and played the demo. Digging Alfyn so far, Concoct seems awesome from the little I used of it, can't wait to get larger parties. Gonna ration out the next two hours for the rest of the week.

Friday can't come soon enough.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oiled and Ready posted:

If we're going by the "successor in some ways to FF6" thing, it's a reference to the Gau/Cyan/"Mr. Thou" exchanges

I'd really like to know if the FF6 thing extends to the final dungeon being multiple parties you switch between, so I can decide how much to level my 2nd group of 4.

So far we haven't seen anything saying you couldn't play the game with 1 character, the kotaku article seems to imply they think you could, although they could be totally wrong.

If you can play with just 1 that implies no forced party swaps. I never was crazy about those myself though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Excluding scaling exp systems and/or massive rosters (like Suikoden), not having out of party experience only serves to punish people

The levels themselves have scaling exp requirements so it really shouldn't be that bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Books On Tape posted:

They don't have to, but the developer who was interviewed about the game DID say they DID. Now, maybe it was a language barrier (he's Japanese) maybe he was bullshitting to sell people on the game, you take from that what you will.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

They either don't connect at all, or there's one final boss fight after you complete each character's individual story.

Possible. Also possible would be a dungeon and then a boss. Maybe a boss, then a dungeon, then a boss. Or maybe there's more. We don't know.

Mordiceius posted:

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well presumably beat the game with one character means beat only that character's story. Though it'll be interesting if there's an epilogue/convergence point that only unlocks once you've cleared the story of every character you've recruited, which changes slightly based on who you did or didn't recruit.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I’m wondering if the eight stories connect but the game isn’t super explicit about it, like maybe the guy Olberic is after is riding the monster H’aanit is looking for toward’s Tressa’s home town to get Cyrus’ book but it’s just up to you to see it.

Which will still make nerds stand up and bitch about how the stories don’t connect.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if it was just eight separate personal stories either because it's actually kinda fresh.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The storylines connect at the end, you just have to input the secret button code before you can access it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

voltcatfish posted:

The storylines connect at the end, you just have to input the secret button code before you can access it.

The stories connect at the end, but only if you complete all eight stories in a specific order, hence causing the letters in OCTOPATH to switch around and reveal the password: CATPHOTO

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Mordiceius posted:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think i want to buy this game

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

i'm totally cool with that. a hefty early game of doing whatever and seeing prologue bits followed by character payoff much later seems unique. will be nice having that kind of freedom.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

so, live a live

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm pretty stoked to fire this up Friday. I avoided the demo to avoid seeing too much, but I feel like I should figure out who I should start with. I'm leaning Cyrus, since he seems like a pretty unique sort of character.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I'm flying back home from Shanghai on Friday morning so that's a great time to finally play the demo

minya
Sep 7, 2004

SUN RA WAS HERE IN HIS ELEMENT
he invited me back for a ride
I gotta say I don’t really care about the story at all. In fact, what little I’ve experienced of the story makes it seem generic in exactly the way I’m looking for. (Primrose’s story was pretty gross, tho, and that level of lechery felt completely unnecessary.)

What’s exciting me about this game is its style, gameplay, and aesthetic, and that it’s completely 100% unforgiving about its appeals to nostalgia. As someone who spent far too many hours playing FF6 and Chrono Trigger growing up, this game looks set to deliver me right back into that zone.

If the story ends up being amazing, that’ll be cool, but if it ends up being totally standard boilerplate ‘90s nostalgia I’m ok with that too.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Man I just want to abuse the systems to get good items early and beat up tough optional bosses. If my boy Cyrus and my girl Tressa's individual stories are nice and comfy then that's all I need.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I must really be into lechery cuz Primrose intro is what got me to buy this.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

My original party lineup was gonna be Tressa/Cyrus/Primrose/Therion but finding out that Tressa and Therion's path actions overlap is a bit of a humdinger, plus Cyrus' plotline failed to grab me, atleast in Chapter 1.

I could replace Cyrus with Ophilia but then I'm doubling up on path actions even harder. I guess the "ideal" combo would be going Tressa/Olberic/Primrose/Alfyn but I struggle to care about the 2nd and 4th ones in that.

The part of the OP that tells you about the overlapping path actions is cursed :psyduck:

quote:

Also this was a few pages back but I'm goint to note that Primrose's apothecary (?) subclass outfit, second from the left, is great :kimchi:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Oh my god, Hunter Tressa.

That settles that.

Edit: Big H feels like a good fit for apothacary too.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Oh my god, Hunter Tressa.

Reminds me of the beastmaster in FFV

It seems the streetdate in Europe has been broken. Might go out of my way to get it 2 days early. I've been dying for an old school RPG and having it be portable as well is just the icing on the cake.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Mulderman posted:

It seems the streetdate in Europe has been broken. Might go out of my way to get it 2 days early. I've been dying for an old school RPG and having it be portable as well is just the icing on the cake.

I wish I had any indie game stores near me that might break streetdate

:negative:

I guess I'll have to try my luck with the supermarket.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Unlucky7 posted:

Yeah people are freaking out over the localisation instead. :v:

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Mordiceius posted:

:emptyquote: it’s gonna be a good game anyway.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I can’t wait for more lechery this Friday

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
I can’t wait for pious pilgrimage this Friday.

DirkDonkeyroot
Feb 25, 2007
I can't wait to walk 5km each way in the rain to get this on Friday 😁

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I can't wait to hate all these great stories because they're presented in an anthology format :barf:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Is there any reason you shouldn't steal anything and everything as Therion, aside from the potential for reputation hit? Like could it affect side quests if NPCs no longer have certain items, or you can't guide them into battle anymore?

Echophonic posted:

I avoided the demo to avoid seeing too much, but I feel like I should figure out who I should start with.
The prologue demo is actually really great. You can use it to just play the first three hours of the game and then transfer your save over, so it's like starting the game early. But I think the better use of it is to get a sense of the game and character mechanics without having to feel committed yet. You can hold the B button the entire time during the intros to skip the story and just follow the directive in the corner to figure out what you need to do at the moment. That way you can figure out each character's abilities but go watch their story later as part of your "real" playthrough.

I'm sure once the game is out there will be a bunch of guides on picking your starting character. Twinfinite posted one that's illustrative. There's not really a wrong choice though, with the only consequence being that you're MC is locked to your party for roughly 3/4ths of the game if you play through all stories in a breadth-wise fashion.

Statistically Alfyn makes a lot of sense, but I'm going with Ophilia since I'm pretty dependent on party healing as a play style. That said, starting with Therion is really fun and he's my favorite character. If I ever play through the game a second time I'd probably start with him.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Do the prologues have any action in them or is it just dialogue? Maybe I'll feel different playing full release but I ended up mashin that B button and skipping like all dialogue cause great you can set the text to instant, but then it's a half second to mash A and skim the words..then 4..seconds..while a character takes two steps..then another half second mash A skim words..and character pauses to think..about their next line.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Is there any reason you shouldn't steal anything and everything as Therion, aside from the potential for reputation hit? Like could it affect side quests if NPCs no longer have certain items, or you can't guide them into battle anymore?

Since the steal items work off the same pool as Tressa's purchasable items I doubt there are any downsides.

teh_Broseph posted:

Do the prologues have any action in them or is it just dialogue? Maybe I'll feel different playing full release but I ended up mashin that B button and skipping like all dialogue cause great you can set the text to instant, but then it's a half second to mash A and skim the words..then 4..seconds..while a character takes two steps..then another half second mash A skim words..and character pauses to think..about their next line.

The prologues are some story, a dungeon, a boss and then a little more story.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm starting to wonder if I'll even have set party of 4. Since the benched characters don't get exp (and obviously don't progress their story) I think I might just rotate the entire cast (well, with Tressa always in my party).

That said if I had to pick one party I think it would probably the two babs Tressa and Alfyn, strong mom H'aanit and aunt Ophilia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

teh_Broseph posted:

You can skip the prologues entirely and replay them later if you decide you want to see that part. :eng101: