Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

Why would you want to look at any comments, let alone all the comments?

Oddly enough, people complain about it but it’s really the only comment section worth reading because you rarely if ever see troll comments and the good comments typically rise to the top.

Most Deadspin stories have at least one comment that is funny enough to actually laugh out loud at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Anime Reference posted:

The AVClub commentariat was (and still is to a lesser degree) legitimately good, though at times a little to enamored with in-jokes (I got a Comminity notification for this?)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That sweet laurel canyon sound.

But yeah the site is bad unless you want to see the latest deals on computer parts or what ever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Judging by Great Job Internet comments, AV Club commenters are the angriest people on Earth

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Crazy Ted posted:

Kinja is one of the most convoluted commenting systems in existence. I honestly think Reddit is easier to read.

Read an article? Want to look at the comments? Okay for now you only get to look at the comments that Gizmodo Media staff are involved in.

Want to look at all comments? Okay so you click the button to see all comments but actually it's just comments that have been approved by other commenters.

Want to actually look at all of the comments? Click again and you finally get to see all of the comments, only 75% of them are in light grey because they haven't been liked enough by regular commenters.

Also the first comment on any post is required to be someone bitching about Bernie Bros and Jill Stein voters. In 2018.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

General Dog posted:

Also the first comment on any post is required to be someone bitching about Bernie Bros and Jill Stein voters. In 2018.

Not really

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Maybe it's just anything to do with Trump. I'm talking Kinja in general, not the Onion

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I remember a small part of the reason I attended UW-Madison is because The Onion started there. I could pick up free copies just about anywhere on campus. More than any other media layoff, this strikes me as deeply upsetting and I regret not starting the massive, multi-state riot.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Anime Reference posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Coco13 posted:

I remember a small part of the reason I attended UW-Madison is because The Onion started there. I could pick up free copies just about anywhere on campus. More than any other media layoff, this strikes me as deeply upsetting and I regret not starting the massive, multi-state riot.

I actually have a physical copy of the final Onion somewhere.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The people who were really hurt by the Onion dropping print are the guys who would just grab a stack of them and sell them on the street while pretending to raise money

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

when a deadspin commentor figures out that two people have the same name

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The comment moderation is so harsh because gamergaters and others were flooding gawker/jezebels comments with gore back in the day.

I think Gawker had good comments in the past because they were moderated. Problem was they were doing it with unpaid interns. When that lawsuit hit they kind of abandoned the comment moderation and that's when it got infiltrated with trolls. So instead of paying someone to moderate it, they just created the dumb system they have today.

Always weird the ways media companies pinch pennies. Then again maybe that's why they're all going under.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Ta-Nehisi Coates’s blog on the Atlantic used to have an amazing comments section. Pretty sure one of the regular commenters actually ended up getting hired to write for the Atlantic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Didn't Drew Magary get both his Gawker/Gizmodo and GQ gigs because he commented on Deadspin as Kissing Suzy Kolber?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Timby posted:

Didn't Drew Magary get both his Gawker/Gizmodo and GQ gigs because he commented on Deadspin as Kissing Suzy Kolber?

I don't know if it was as KSK but he got the Deadspin gig as a popular commenter, yes. The lesson is: never stop posting

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Mahoning posted:

Most Deadspin stories have at least one comment that is funny enough to actually laugh out loud at.

Jalopnik has one of the best commentary pools around

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't know if it was as KSK but he got the Deadspin gig as a popular commenter, yes. The lesson is: never stop posting

are you a mod now?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

are you a mod now?

In NMD, yeah. They were rolling without one for a while and someone nominated me.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Timby posted:

IIRC a number of Gawker Media writers got their start in the comment section.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GobiasIndustries posted:

are you a mod now?

They got roped into modding NMD. May the gods have mercy on their soul.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

iospace posted:

This was my long con to get platinum without paying for it

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

In NMD, yeah. They were rolling without one for a while and someone nominated me.

Ah well, good luck and godspeed, fellow spartan. That sounds......fun.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
Goons discussing music couldn't possibly be that savage, could they?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Up Circle posted:

Goons discussing music couldn't possibly be that savage, could they?

There were apparently like 10 reports in the last two months so I guess not.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

iospace posted:

Better than Games or D/D or GBS

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

There were apparently like 10 reports in the last two months so I guess not.

All of them Monkeu probably lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dexo posted:

All of them Monkeu probably lol

Yeeuuuggghgghkkk

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Timby posted:

The KSK guys were all early Deadspin commentators, Magary was Big Daddy Drew.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
https://twitter.com/SheaSerrano/status/1016521844659236865

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

The world needs more Shea Serranos

https://twitter.com/SheaSerrano/status/1016693286365483009

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Shea and Jason Concepcion are two of my favorite Twitter follows even though I don't care at all about the NBA.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Unavision looking into selling Deadspin, Onion etc

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ToLey88/status/1016477280837820417?s=19

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Do Republicans buy sneakers? At least the big name ones I mean, I’m sure they buy lots of New Balances.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Why does it look like a coloring book

Also lol at picking a quote that (1) may not be real and (2) was used as proof that the person who said it was a shitbag

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ruining sports? All these leagues are getting gigantic TV deals and franchises are worth billions. Fox just paid $3 billion for the lovely Thursday Night Football games.

The mental gymnastics he has to do to prove that point will be hilarious.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Ruining sports? All these leagues are getting gigantic TV deals and franchises are worth billions. Fox just paid $3 billion for the lovely Thursday Night Football games.

The mental gymnastics he has to do to prove that point will be hilarious.

You know there's a chapter about how much better things were when Johnny Unitas loved America and no one ever got concussions. The metric he's using is how he felt when he was ten and not a bitter old man.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

algebra testes posted:

Unavision looking into selling Deadspin, Onion etc
Related:
https://twitter.com/libbycwatson/status/1016859871147421696

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ha ha ha Hulk Hogan is so dumb-hey why are you suing us? :(

ha ha ha our parent company is so dumb-hey why are you selling us? :(

Jalopnik aside, most of gawker's been a shell of itself since the Hogan suit. Deadspin in general and Magary in specific have clearly been on cruise control with the occasional good piece by Diana Moskowitz, and then just a bunch of whining about barstool that, while well-warranted, is clearly giving them all the attention they want. Posts screaming about the evils of capitalism are surrounded by their amazon referral links, lovely autoplay videos, and their "10 best deals".