Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Standing only for Allah to own the libs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

It should be contempt. No one would defend this if it was a single dad or some other white, sad sack loser in there making a point.

You're only saying this because it's a Muslim woman.

See how dumb this line of argument is?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

how did they even tell people were boycotting
Apparently advertisers got pulled.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This thread has managed to turn a basic courtesy into racewar loving lmao

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

JBP posted:

This thread has managed to turn a basic courtesy into racewar loving lmao

That's not my point and you either know it or are as stupid as Andrew Bolt. Which is it, I wonder?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starshark posted:

That's not my point and you either know it or are as stupid as Andrew Bolt. Which is it, I wonder?

It's not about you.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I don't know why you guys blow up on JBP and Whitlam. They are pretty level headed people who obviously differ slightly in regards to certain subjects but neither of them are idiots.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Hardly news that Bolt's a dishonest shitheel, but his claim here that the footage of Rowan Dean laughing at Leyjenholm occurred later in the interview is false. Just like his claim that Outsiders' audience is "big".

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

snoremac posted:

his claim that Outsiders' audience is "big".

doesnt bolt only get like 30k people and he is the highest rated

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I believe belljar is correct - I can understand the rationale behind standing to show respect to the court and what it represents, but simultaneously what impact does not standing have?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tithin posted:

I believe belljar is correct - I can understand the rationale behind standing to show respect to the court and what it represents, but simultaneously what impact does not standing have?

None if you have a broken leg. Loads if you're doing it as a statement that your ideology is above the rule of law. Particularly galling when your husband is on trial for facilitating the grooming of minors into radical ideology and down-low deployment of Australians to a theatre of war.

Like, counter to this, why is it difficult to just stand and participate without requiring a punishment like a school kid.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Reclines Obesily posted:

doesnt bolt only get like 30k people and he is the highest rated
I dunno check out this accolade from Wiki:

quote:

The Bolt Report was the most watched program on subscription television on 9 November 2016 as part of post-2016 American presidential election coverage with 139,000 viewers.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Would this story even have been published if it was a white guy refusing to stand because Jesus said not to?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You know also this minorities thing, I'm pretty sure if I went and asked a variety of immigrants in Melbourne's west whether they thought standing for a judge was sound that they'd have a variety of opinions and a lot would say it's good to respect the court. I'm not sure how people itt have a psychic link to every downtrodden brown on earth.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Would this story even have been published if it was a white guy refusing to stand because Jesus said not to?

I reckon so if their wife was recruiting into a Christian war cult.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

So it's okay to punish people based on what their spouses are allegedly doing

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JBP posted:

I reckon so if their wife was recruiting into a Christian war cult.

bell jar posted:

So it's okay to punish people based on what their spouses are allegedly doing

:thunk:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

None if you have a broken leg. ... Particularly galling when your husband is on trial for facilitating the grooming of minors into radical ideology and down-low deployment of Australians to a theatre of war.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

do you just, not remember what you post, or?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

use the quote function or it looks like you are speaking to other points

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
It is important to make it mandatory to stand before a judge, because otherwise not standing carries no weight and how am I supposed to Stick It To The Man?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

And yes, given the extremely serious nature of the matter being heard I would suggest it is of greater importance to participate properly and give them every chance to win than sit there making a point about your ideological position. I'd also say that if you do that you should get done for contempt and fined.

GoldStandardConure posted:

It is important to make it mandatory to stand before a judge, because otherwise not standing carries no weight and how am I supposed to Stick It To The Man?

this is the auspol thread, what is the most radical thing i can type at any time with no mind given to reality or practicality.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP posted:

You know also this minorities thing, I'm pretty sure if I went and asked a variety of immigrants in Melbourne's west whether they thought standing for a judge was sound that they'd have a variety of opinions and a lot would say it's good to respect the court. I'm not sure how people itt have a psychic link to every downtrodden brown on earth.

I mean I understand bell-jar's point but at the same time not respecting authority is a case of playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes. Like you're not going to win anything good by not standing and its just a customary gesture to acknowledge you are in a house of judgement and in the presence of the eyes and ears of the law.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

I mean I understand bell-jar's point but at the same time not respecting authority is a case of playing stupid games and winning stupid prizes. Like you're not going to win anything good by not standing and its just a customary gesture to acknowledge you are in a house of judgement and in the presence of the eyes and ears of the law.

Yeah, just loving participate. I understand the point as well, but saying it's about minorities is ridiculous when I know people that moved* here from Africa so that they could enjoy structured justice systems and lawful society. It's a shame that it sucks here, but that's what they want to be part of.

* fled because their family was murdered, home destroyed, religion persecuted, etc

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A SOLICITOR INTO THE SLOT. ITS MY LEARNED FRIEND AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE BOWS ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JUDGE. I BOW WHEN I LEAVE AND I BOW WHEN I LEAVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I STAND BEFORE THE JUDGE OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP LEAVING THE COURT. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE STATES MOST IMPORTANT RITUALS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE RITUALS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY LEARNED FRIENDS LESS LONELY BY BOWING AT EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I think we're arguing at cross purposes here.

I think JBP is saying everyone should stand for judges which is angering the anti-authority folks

Others including myself are saying it's probably not that hard to find an example of a white guy doing much less in court and getting off scot free

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I genuinely think honouring and participating in the traditions of systems is important for those systems to maintain their integrity and meaning. In saying that, I don't think our courts are broken, but give me any other state function and I'll tell you who I'd flip off and who I'd ISIS sign at.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

this is the auspol thread, what is the most radical thing i can type at any time with no mind given to reality or practicality.

literally blow up the moon because its misandrist

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Sounds real hyper nonsense, the kind of cultural degradation a gamer would do

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

bell jar posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A SOLICITOR INTO THE SLOT. ITS MY LEARNED FRIEND AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE BOWS ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JUDGE. I BOW WHEN I LEAVE AND I BOW WHEN I LEAVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I STAND BEFORE THE JUDGE OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP LEAVING THE COURT. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE STATES MOST IMPORTANT RITUALS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE RITUALS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY LEARNED FRIENDS LESS LONELY BY BOWING AT EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

tithin posted:

JBP posted:

None if you have a broken leg. Loads if you're doing it as a statement that your ideology is above the rule of law. Particularly galling when your husband is on trial for facilitating the grooming of minors into radical ideology and down-low deployment of Australians to a theatre of war.

Like, counter to this, why is it difficult to just stand and participate without requiring a punishment like a school kid.

This, plus again, it's about respect for the proceedings and the court's authority. That's literally why we have contempt of court as a charge. Because we acknowledge that within a society, the court is the ultimate arbiter of the rule of law, and that has to be acknowledged. Again, on a cosmic level, no it doesn't make that much difference if someone sits or stands, but that's not the point.

To give a personal example, a friend of mine is currently going through proceedings taking out an AVO against an abusive ex-partner of hers. Last court date, the magistrate was a dick and tried to talk her out of proceeding for reasons that didn't relate to the merits of her case. She still stood for him, because the point is that it isn't about the individual, it's about respect for the institution and what it represents, rather than if you personally feel like standing or not.

As I say, judges should have discretion - if someone doesn't know that they're meant to stand,* then of course that discretion should be used appropriately. In this case, the person knew full-well what the rules are and chose to not comply in a deliberate show of disdain, so people going into hypotheticals about poor people who are just too stupid and non-white to understand are missing the point. Contempt of court is contempt of court. The reason we punish people for it is because if we don't punish people for it, then people very quickly start to question why we should listen to the courts at all, and don't comply with court orders or other rules. You want people to take court proceedings seriously? Then you have to treat them like the serious matters that they are.

*This will never happen, all lawyers will explain to their clients about standing when the magistrate/judge enters the court.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I think we're arguing at cross purposes here.

I think JBP is saying everyone should stand for judges which is angering the anti-authority folks

Others including myself are saying it's probably not that hard to find an example of a white guy doing much less in court and getting off scot free

Yeah but how many of those white guys are helping recruit for ISIS? The judge said that the actions carry significance in regards to not respecting Australia at all. Some white guy not standing and in court for not paying a parking fine is not contextually comparable.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

I don't think our courts are broken

All previous posting ITT aside, it boggles the mind that you think this. The way that our courts are organised ensures that people with more money get priority over the people that don't, and anyone who can't afford legal representation out of pocket has to either hope that Legal Aid comes through to help them (and that their solicitor accepts Legal Aid) or presumably suffer through being assigned a solicitor by the police. Let alone the other things troubling it like the absolute dependence on the police (a notably and widely reported institution staffed with corrupt individuals) for procuring and managing evidence, including witness statements etc. Following that you have the abysmal rates of sentencing when it comes to cases of sexual assault and abuse. These are things that come to me off the top of my head. The courts are absolutely broken in favour of the privileged and powerful.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

The Peccadillo posted:

Sounds real hyper nonsense, the kind of cultural degradation a gamer would do

make it mandatory to stand for video games

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

make it mandatory to stand for video games

I do this already

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

I do this already

that's because you lost your couch & chairs in bitcoin gambling

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

Yeah but how many of those white guys are helping recruit for ISIS? The judge said that the actions carry significance in regards to not respecting Australia at all. Some white guy not standing and in court for not paying a parking fine is not contextually comparable.

White supremacists and sovereign citizen nutjobs have no respect for Australia or authorities and I'm sure I can find court transcripts of them flinging abuse at everyone in court

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bell jar posted:

All previous posting ITT aside, it boggles the mind that you think this. The way that our courts are organised ensures that people with more money get priority over the people that don't, and anyone who can't afford legal representation out of pocket has to either hope that Legal Aid comes through to help them (and that their solicitor accepts Legal Aid) or presumably suffer through being assigned a solicitor by the police. Let alone the other things troubling it like the absolute dependence on the police (a notably and widely reported institution staffed with corrupt individuals) for procuring and managing evidence, including witness statements etc. Following that you have the abysmal rates of sentencing when it comes to cases of sexual assault and abuse. These are things that come to me off the top of my head. The courts are absolutely broken in favour of the privileged and powerful.

This is completely fair. I'll amend it to, courts are broken as a result of other systems being broken. Someone mentioned deaths in custody which is a great point. You build a society where people offend because they have no choice or their lives are hosed, then the courts are bound to hear the case and rule in accordance with whatever precedent came before and the law they've broken. Victoria is in trouble with legal aid and stuff because of the hosed up volume of cases, many of which should never have gone to court in the first place if something else existed. Courts don't exist in a vacuum and that fucks them up, but I genuinely think that our system (in a vacuum) of hearing the cases of people charged with a crime is sound.

e: sexual assault is so difficult to deal with. How do you avoid secondary victimisation and still give the defendant a fair trial. How do you gather evidence sufficient enough to try the case with secondary victimisation or lightning response scientific inquiry. It starts with the cops actually doing their loving jobs and believing people, but after that it's a real clusterfuck.

JBP fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jul 11, 2018

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
why is it necessary for someone to stand for them to be seen as respectful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Because actions speak louder than words.

• Locked thread