Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Just lol if you wouldn't pay $150 to be able to mount this atop your Kallax and face it toward the wall to look upon his cosmic, unknowable thiccness.

Dude can grip a toilet seat like a mother fucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Flavivirus posted:

Yeah, the cards will be bundled in with the PDF. I'll make that clear in the FAQ.

Thanks for the response! Backed it at the softcover level. Super excited about this, I think my group might integrate it into our upcoming Super Sentai game and use this for mech fights.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

NmareBfly posted:

I don't need to spend ~180 on a special board game backpack, do I? that would be a dumb thing to purchase. yep. dumb. Right?

Just get a duffle bag.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I just use one of those heavy duty reusable grocery bags you can get from most stores for like $3. They're great and can hold 3-4 normal sized games.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Just lol if you wouldn't pay $150 to be able to mount this atop your Kallax and face it toward the wall to look upon his cosmic, unknowable thiccness.

It's me and the crew, we're here for a screw, said Barnacled Bill the Sailor.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

If I wanted to put the party against a giant unknowable monster I wouldn't need a custom giant Cthulhu. I'd just steal from my extant supplies like I always do, with the party as 20mm Starcraft minis and the monster as a 20" shark plushie.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I get that it's a big miniature, but $150 seems ridiculous, let alone the 'clearly intended for the base game already' stretch goals to date.

CMON will definitely make a few million on this, but it really does seem like a lovely kicktarter with bad tiers, bad marketing and meh stretch goals.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PST posted:

CMON will definitely make a few million on this, but it really does seem like a lovely kicktarter with bad tiers, bad marketing and meh stretch goals.

So it's a typical CMON Kickstarter then.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PST posted:

I get that it's a big miniature, but $150 seems ridiculous, let alone the 'clearly intended for the base game already' stretch goals to date.

It's only 10 dollars more than a Great Unclean One, and is like four times bigger

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

What, no comments on that yonic Deep One? It looks like a costume from This Ain't Pacific Rim XXX.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, dropping the irony, as far as miniature prices go the cost of that thing is not unreasonable to me. I certainly wouldn't pay $150 for it, but I have adjacent interests and won't judge people that would. CMON's business practices and the quality of their flagship games (components aside) are another thing entirely.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's only 10 dollars more than a Great Unclean One, and is like four times bigger

Isn't the Great Unclean One like 150mm? This is 570mm so it would be more like, umm, 50 times as big? That can't be right...

Yeah, dropping the irony, as far as miniature prices go the cost of that thing is not unreasonable to me. I certainly wouldn't pay $150 for it, but I have adjacent interests and won't judge people that would. CMON's business practices and the quality of their flagship games (components aside) are another thing entirely.

Yeah, I think with these mini-centric boardgame kickstarters the smart thing to do is just pledge for the minis and be pleasantly surprised if the game is any good. Not that I've ever actually backed any of CMON's stuff.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Atlas Games has a Kickstarter up for a new version of Over the Edge, one of my favorite games I've only gotten to play, like, two times. Also on offer, PDFs of the complete line of previous editions, including the novel Pierced Heart. A while back, there was an anniversary edition in a all-the-frills hardcover, which I have, but I like the look of the basic hardcover here, so that's what I'm going for, along with the dice.

Here's my best shot at explaining the game: OTE is a narrative stew of conspiracy theories, alien invasions, weird science, witchcraft and general paranoia, all pushing at each other in the close confines of an island dictatorship, fitted with a loosey-goosey new-agey RPG system that works off of wide interpretation of 2d6 rolls. (Jonathan Tweet is closer to Everway, here, than D&D, is what I'm saying.) It sounds like a mess, and maybe it is, but what a glorious mess, with ideas jumping off almost every page, and some of the best supplements I've ever read. It's a game where I read something, go "well, how would that ever work in a game?" and then realize that I already have a dozen related ideas that will work just fine.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It also had the weirdest goddamn metaplot.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

PST posted:

150 is pretty cheap actually. if gw was selling that thing it would be a grand and ham idiots would snap it up like hotcakes

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Meanwhile, the new edition of Over the Edge has quietly launched.

e:whoops, sorry, didn't see atholbrose's post

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 11, 2018

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

atholbrose posted:

Atlas Games has a Kickstarter up for a new version of Over the Edge, one of my favorite games I've only gotten to play, like, two times. Also on offer, PDFs of the complete line of previous editions, including the novel Pierced Heart. A while back, there was an anniversary edition in a all-the-frills hardcover, which I have, but I like the look of the basic hardcover here, so that's what I'm going for, along with the dice.

Here's my best shot at explaining the game: OTE is a narrative stew of conspiracy theories, alien invasions, weird science, witchcraft and general paranoia, all pushing at each other in the close confines of an island dictatorship, fitted with a loosey-goosey new-agey RPG system that works off of wide interpretation of 2d6 rolls. (Jonathan Tweet is closer to Everway, here, than D&D, is what I'm saying.) It sounds like a mess, and maybe it is, but what a glorious mess, with ideas jumping off almost every page, and some of the best supplements I've ever read. It's a game where I read something, go "well, how would that ever work in a game?" and then realize that I already have a dozen related ideas that will work just fine.

Hell yeah hell yeah instant backed, this is the good poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bieeanshee posted:

It also had the weirdest goddamn metaplot.

Not to mention the weirdest goddamn CCG.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Apparently there's still some packs of that on sale. Despite the game having gone defunct years and years ago.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

NGDBSS posted:

If I wanted to put the party against a giant unknowable monster I wouldn't need a custom giant Cthulhu. I'd just steal from my extant supplies like I always do, with the party as 20mm Starcraft minis and the monster as a 20" shark plushie.

I sold all the Heroclix I could, but Fin Fang Foom will always hold a place of honor atop my bookshelf.

What I'm saying is we could probably use less Thulu and more Foom. But Foom isn't free. Foom costs.

Lynx Winters posted:

Hell yeah hell yeah instant backed, this is the good poo poo.

Even you never run it, Over the Edge always had a good half-dozen ideas to adapt to whatever game you're doing.

I got to play a demo last year and it was pretty solid.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

malkav11 posted:

Apparently there's still some packs of that on sale. Despite the game having gone defunct years and years ago.

I've been collecting OTE cards for the last couple of years, picking up a box here, box there every once in a while. While no one plays it around here, I have enough cards I can make a grip of decks and hand them out to my friends to play, it's a fun game!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Guy Goodbody posted:

Tbh a 'mini' from a game with grossly inflated prices and grossly bloated tabletop space occupation isn't the best point of comparison

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

NTRabbit posted:

Tbh a 'mini' from a game with grossly inflated prices and grossly bloated tabletop space occupation isn't the best point of comparison

The most popular tabletop miniatures game is a good point of comparison when discussing tabletop miniature games, I think

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The most popular tabletop miniatures game is a good point of comparison when discussing tabletop miniature games, I think

X-Wing is arguably the most popular minis game and is cheaper but is also pre painted and licensed.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

alg posted:

X-Wing is arguably the most popular minis game and is cheaper but is also pre painted and licensed.

Is it cheaper? $40 buys you the X-wing starter that gives you three ships.

$40 also buys you First Strike, the small 40k starter, that gives you 15 miniatures.

Also, I don't think we have any solid stats for popularity of wargames in the last couple of years, but we know that GW has been turning record profits since the launch of 8th edition.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

personally I would absolutely love more prepainted minis for minis games of all themes

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Memnaelar posted:

Update:

The comments section at Cthulhu: Death May Durr is amazing right now. I hadn't even initially noticed the fact that their megature pack has been incrementally increased in early bird pledge levels of 100 backers each - each pledge level has been subsequently added at $5 higher and 1 month later delivery and it's already gone from $220 to $245 (presumably $250 is next) and backers are, imo rightfully, pissed.

Just a bizarre marketing move.

Seems right up CMONs alley

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

personally I would absolutely love more prepainted minis for minis games of all themes

I think in the next decade at least, we'll see 3d printing become sophisticated enough that it'll become better at mass production and you'll start to see minis that are created with several different colors of resin, so they'll have colorful details from the get-go, without any paint involved.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Chubbs posted:

I think in the next decade at least, we'll see 3d printing become sophisticated enough that it'll become better at mass production and you'll start to see minis that are created with several different colors of resin, so they'll have colorful details from the get-go, without any paint involved.

I think you're 100% correct. There are some early versions of this floating around, but they're currently infeasible for more than prototyping. Filament printers, for instance, will jack up the print time by an order of magnitude based on how many colors you're using, and the quality still isn't there for sellable tabletop minis, at least from the prosumer level I've seen.

I'm sure there's a goon more knowledgeable than I am on the subject of bleeding edge 3D printing tech, though.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
HP has their 3D Jet Fusion printers that can print plastics in full color. Don't know what sort of finish/resolution they're getting.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Shapeways already sell multiple-coloured prints. Dunno how good they are in real life though. e.g. https://www.shapeways.com/product/FCEYHRF27/vanilla-statue?optionId=63085188&li=marketplace

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

atholbrose posted:

For those who think they might be interested but shied away, as I did, from OTE in their youth for crunchier hobo murder systems, the first update has a downloadable draft PDF of the book for your review. Love it when publishers do that - this'll likely be a buy for me as a result.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Lupercalcalcal posted:

$40 also buys you First Strike, the small 40k starter, that gives you 15 miniatures.

Also, I don't think we have any solid stats for popularity of wargames in the last couple of years, but we know that GW has been turning record profits since the launch of 8th edition.

standard list size for xwing looks like 100 points, which is like 3 or 4 ships

your average xwing force probably costs 40-60 bucks and its ready to play

standard list size for 40k is 2000 points, which is some massive array between what 5-500 models

your average 40k army probably costs 400-600 bucks for models alone, not counting paints and hobby supplies

so yea, id say 40k is a lot more loving expensive, you disingenuous mutant

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

standard list size for xwing looks like 100 points, which is like 3 or 4 ships

your average xwing force probably costs 40-60 bucks and its ready to play

standard list size for 40k is 2000 points, which is some massive array between what 5-500 models

your average 40k army probably costs 400-600 bucks for models alone, not counting paints and hobby supplies

we were talking about the relative cost of a single model, not the cost of a whole army or whatever. There's no reason to get that angry

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Yikes. Wasn't the discussion over the price of a single model?

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
no? he decided to compare cost and content of starter sets as some roundabout way of saying 40k isnt actually that expensive

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

no? he decided to compare cost and content of starter sets as some roundabout way of saying 40k isnt actually that expensive

Lupercalcalcal posted:

I dunno dude, that still looks like a straight up price per miniature comparison to me

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
o look another disingenuous mutant :allears:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
This is a really weird thing to be aggressive about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

i mostly just like to antagonize people :twisted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)